Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Optima 2006 and earlier

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    They had a "first look" at the Optima and it just posted today. I like the way it looks. It's the same mechanicals, etc. as the Sonata though, but I like the Steptronic transmission. But they say even that is coming for 2002 to the Sonata. It might just be what Kia needs to turn around their streak of bad luck. I just hope it doesn't take sales away from Hyundai. Kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face, if you know what I mean. :)
  • mike_542mike_542 Posts: 128
    If you look at all the car comparisons regarding Kia or Hyundai, the main complaint is "poor handling." All they need to do is upgrade the tires and wheels and everything will be fine. Or Kia/Hyundai can send lots of accessory wheel/tire packages for dealers to install.
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    Kia might not take all that many sales away from Hyundai... I just saw an Optima at the local Kia dealer; it was the I-4 with auto, air, floor mats and CD, and it stickered for $17,100. that's about a grand more than a similarly equipped Sonota (according to Edmunds).

But, there's about 250 miles between the Kia & Hyundai dealer, so I'm guessing I'll see more Kias for now...
  • bluewindsbluewinds Posts: 100
    http://www.kia.co.kr/cybermall/car/optima/sscvt/sscvt_1.htm

It's a CVT transmission.
    However if you put selector on step-tronic mode, you can use 6-speed manual function.

This is $1500 option on top notch model of optima
  • Had the opportunity to see the new Optima today and sit in one. Being very short 5'7" the car is a bit big for me. However the fit and finish is very good. Doors close with solid ka-chunk. Has several interesting features. Inside grab on trunklid to lower lid without grabbing painted outside surface of lid. Recessed handle in trunk to assist those locked in trunk accidentally. However, no remote trunk release on 4-Cylinder car. Heavy hood and very neat engine compartment. Looks like the fit/finish will favorably compare with some current U.S. built Japanese vehicles. Sticker on 4-Cyl with Std Trans is $15,400. This car looks like it will be a winner with the ladies.
  • giowagiowa Posts: 599
    I especially poured over the Kia Optima, Hyundai XG300, and Suzuki XL-7 SUV at last weeks Omaha Auto Show. Had wife and kids in tow. Unlike my wife, I thought the Optima was quite impressive. She thought it was OK but nothing special. (She wants the upcoming baby Jag, the soon to be released X-type.) I really loved the Optima's looks and some nice touches (e.g., the strut-type trunk hinges that don't intrude). Too bad the V-6 Optima cannot be had with a manual. And its price is higher than the Sonata. Found it odd that Hyundai sent a base XG300, an XG300L, a Sante Fe, Elantra, and Accent but no Sonata. Kia had everything but the Spectra.

There are some nice pictures of the 2002 Sonata out. It is quite a looker. Optima is more conservative while Sonata is tastefully flashy.
  • Giowa: Having owned several Jaguars over my long lifetime, Jaguar is a car of universal appeal to both men and women. My Mom and myself each bought one at the same time. Mine was a '75XJ 6-cyl and hers was a '75XJ 12-cyl. Her car was a Sable color with a definite violet overhaze.Mine was Black. While the Jaguars had leather upholstery, the Optima sedan I saw had a very soft cloth upholstery. Mom always complained about the leather being abrasive on her legs and kept a blanket over the driver's seat for comfort. The tactile senses that were transmitted by the Optima definitely, IMHO, designed to appeal more to the ladies.
    Will be interesting to see if there is a difference in preference for Optimas vs. Sonatas between male and female buyers. If I remember right, thought I saw something showing that Sonata buyers tended to be heavily male. Females preferred "safe" & reliable Accords & Camrys. (Think it had something to do with risk. Men are less risk adverse and would gamble on reliability because the value was so good. Females prize reliability so much and remember what happened to early Hyundai's that they view them unfavorably initially.)

I had hoped Hyundai and Kia would differentiate this platform more on the basis of sport. One might have a more aggressive suspension and some performance/handling upgrades. If you are correct, maybe Kia wants to lure the attractive sex its way while Hyundai gets Joe Sixpack?
    In today's Omaha World-Herald there is a great story headlined "Executive Assess Banner Year of Sales of Asian Car Brands". Excerpt:

"sales of the new Rio compact sedan boosted Kia's 2000 sales to 160,606, its best ever, a 19 percent increase over 1999. Kia plans to introduce a Rio station wagon and the Sedona minivan in the U.S. next year."
  • Hey everyone. If anyone is interested, I just bought a 2001 Kia Optima SE V6. This car is the Steel Blue, I went for the leather interior and the sticker came in at $21,474. My promotion included a vehicle allowance, so I went out and drove 16 cars including the Altima, 626, Protege', Golf (I know, different class, but in my range), Impala, Focus, and the list goes on and on... The Optima was, hands down, the finest car I drove. I had my boss (the owner of a BMW 740, Mercedes 500SL, and Dodge Viper) take a test drive with me, and HE'S thinking about getting one. In looking at the earlier discussion, it seems to me that they went the other way from the conjecture, at least with the SE. From what I've seen of the Sonata, it seems that has the sportier look and style, and the Optima is geared more toward the classy end. The leather and wood look great, and the styling (especially the front end) has a more upscale look than the Sonata. It handles well, and has plenty of punch when it's needed. The shiftmatic is fun, but overall this is just a remarkably solid, well-performing car that is ridiculously roomy and comfortable. All I know is that I got all the features and comfort I could possibly hope for, and I'll still be able to buy my gas from the allowance!
  • bluewindsbluewinds Posts: 100
    http://bbs1.adwars.com/read.php?table=mildbreeze&no=23

Kia Optima has been best selling car in its segment since it was launched last year July in Korea.

http://myhome.naver.com/mildbreeze/menu2.html

Who did these tests? Are there any numerical results indicating how well it did? And in comparison to other cars? Is there a web site where we can get all the results for this testing agency? This didn't look like the US, European, Japanese, or Australian new car assessment programs. Is it Korean NCAP? Hyundai internal test?
  • This car 2002 in my opinion looks better than the optima and probably has more room because this Leganza boasts a bigger interior than the roomy Avalon. Anyone do a price comparision on the two? I'm pretty sure a fully equipped 2002 Leganza is less than 20k. You can see a pic of it on the LA AUTO SHOW section of Edmunds.
  • It was done by one branch of national transportation bureau of Korean government. It's an official K-NCAP test.

However, it was not a sophisticate test like U.S's real NCAP test but a simple test.

K-NCAP test includes safety of structure/cage, dummy restraints/kinemaics and some injury measures. For example, in the part of 'injury measures' we don't have regulaion about putting sensor on legs and foots. compared to U.S'S NCAP, it should be more improved.

Also, test cars only have driver's side airbag. They don't have passenger's side airbag. So, the results are unreliable to check driver and passenger's injury. Experts who know the safety of automobile only accept its result of structure and cage damage. Personally, I also think that only cage/structure damage results are valid in this test.

Anyway, Kia Opt's result is a little bit better than 2000 Hyundai Sonata's in structure/cage damage.

If new traffic law is passed in congress, government will do test by new standard which is as same as U.S's NCAP test in every fields.
  • They had a 2002 Leganza at the Detroit Auto Show. As far as styling it is different than the Optima. As well all know by now, it is the Magnus in Korea. My original impression was that it was a V6..wrong, it is an inline 6. This should make it somewhat smoother than a V6 since it has inherent balance without the use of multiple countershafts and counterweights. After all the different configurations 3,4,5,8,10 and 12 cylinder engines, it seems like everyone, including good old GM is moving back toward the old dependable inline '6' configurations.
    Do you remember how big the I-6 was? 2.5L? 3.0L? 3.5L? Glad to see more manufacturers going back to the great I-6. Inherently the smoothest engine. Unfortunately, due to configuration, space and now crash test considerations, too many manufacturers are moving to V-6s. Mercedes did in their C- & E-class. Press reporting that BMW is working on V-6s, mainly for crash safety purposes.

Is the car you saw FWD or RWD?
  • The person manning the Daewoo Display was so lacking in information that all of your questions are ones I have no answer for. I have a friend who is a Daewoo/Kia/Buick/Cadillac/Isuzu dealer and will check with him for any possible info on displacement, fwd/rwd etc. It was very strange that the Daewoo display was provided by a Ford dealer from the Flint, MI area. Detroit has 3 or 4 dealers in the Metro area, so why didn't they do the display?
  • Yep..........

It has 2.5L Inline-6 which is desingned by Porsche.

Will it have performance of Porsche?
    I don't know yet.
    But it put out 180HP.

I think it will be a definitely attractive model for the Mid-sedan hunters if they consider the bang for the buck!
  • Thanks for the information on the I-6 Daewoo engine. Have been following the progress of the bankruptcy very closely as am holding off purchasing my new Korean car till Daewoo resolves its' problems. IMHO it is probably the best buy from a quality/price standpoint of either Kia or Hyundai. Reading AutomotiveNews.com and Auto.com everyday keeps me well informed as to the latest status. Worrisome that sales are beginning to fall for Daewoo. The financials probably have scared off buyers temporarily, I hope. Thanks again for the information.