Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Optima 2006 and earlier

Comments

• t_dugant_dugan Posts: 1
    I bought my KIA Optima in February and have received many compliments. I have the 4cyl. SE model which includes all of the following - Alloy wheels, Michelin tires, leather seats, sunroof, chrome package. While I am pleased with the ride, comfort and gas mileage then it's really the little things that people fail to mention
    - automatic headlight shutoff when you turn off the car (should you forget)
    - chrome kick plates in the thresholds of all 4 doors
    - overhead handgrips for all 4 passengers
    - rear armrest w/storage, cupholders
    - lumbar support for the driver seat (in addition to 8-way power adjustment)
    - interior trunk release (for those times you are kidnapped)
    - First Aid Kit

Too many pros to mention so I will give you the "cons"
    - It's new so there is no "reference" for value or measure of appreciation as it gets older. In purchasing this car you are a pioneer.
    - My model was recalled for a timing belt cover (the existing cover was not narrow enough to hold the timing belt on adaquately). My wife was in and out of the Service Dept. in half an hour.
    - Intermittent squeaky front breaks (most notably the right one)I have 2,800 miles and this just started.
    - "Thumping" noise when the car is lowered or driven onto an elevated pavement while turning (best I can explain it)Sometimes I get the noise while just turning.
    - Transference of the Warranty clearly states that the second owner is not entitled to the same coverage as the first. Be sure to read the warranty - a copy of this is available on the web at Kia.com

I have a free 3,000 mile oil change - they will certainly check out my maladies at that time.

I envisioned a Honda or Toyota or Nissan when I started shopping - I checked KIA because of their Used Car lot and wound up with the Optima. I am not sorry.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    I'm just curious what the service dept.might have found with your small list of maladies on your Optima.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• fangio2fangio2 Posts: 214
    I have a 2000 Leganza CDX(wifes car)and was planning on getting a 2002 Leganza for myself.I wanted to see if DAEWOO would offer a 6cyl.Two things have made me consider a 2001 OPTIMA instead.First its unclear whether 2002 Leganza will be offered in the US.Secondly,I am quite satisfied with the performance of the 2.2 liter 4 cyl in my wifes Leganza.
    I have seen ads for a 2001 OPTIMA with cd,air,auto,sunroof etc for under $16,000.I assume this is the 4cyl model without leather seats.My question is this-does the 4cyl (Hyundai engine?)perform decent with the auto trans?I am very pleased with the quality of the Leganza ,do you feel the Optima overall quality is as good ie-fit,finish etc?
  • netranger4netranger4 Posts: 149
    Have a friend who is a Kia/Daewoo/Isuzu dealer so have driven the 4cyl automatic. Feels like a more substantial 4cyl Accord. Acceleration is adequate, ride and silence is notable. Fit and finish are very good as are thoughtful little extras. Daewoo Leganza (aka 2002 Magnus) will feature a 6cyl inline engine. However, Daewoo's future is still quite uncertain at this writing. Rumors persist that GM/Fiat will purchase. Nothing official has been published to confirm that fact. All Daewoo's feature GM/Australia Holden engine/transmission combo at present. This seems logical to continue if GM/Fiat purchase the company. Concluding..the Optima has been selling very well, however in some areas availability is spotty. My friend can't get V6 models as fast as he could sell them. He had 9 at the beginning of April, now has 2. He is not ordering many Daewoo's since he has been selling only 3 per month for quite a long time. This is sad. The Daewoo product, in my opinion is quite good and was on my short list until the unfortunate bankruptcy became a serious consideration as I'm sure it has definitely become a caution flag for potential buyers.
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    April sales of the Optima are 1795. ytd 6833/90 days inventory
    April sales of the Leganza 2366. ytd 8564/100 days inventory
    According to autonews.com
    Comparison:
    Mitsu Galant 8506 32,725/48 days inventory
    Chevy Malibu (yuck) 15581 53,490/57 days inventory
    Kia Rio (I like em) 4728 16,962/90 days" "
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    See video, photos and highlights of the Optima SE-L concept car.

Here is a quote from the short write-up: "This is a good looking, feature-laden, relatively inexpensive, competent sports sedan that is a viable and attractive alternative to similarly equipped and priced sedans (for example, the Mercury Sable, Buick Regal, Chrysler Concorde). It should be built."

Follow the link in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page and let us know what you think.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Just got back from the photos, video and highlights from the Optima SE-L concept car presentation at Chicago's Auto Show. Sounds like Kia has the right idea to satisfy those who are after a sportier, gutsier motor and performance from their Optima. The sportiness of this Optima SE-L shines nicely in new Salsa red. Wood steering wheel? Too many options to list and detail. I'm kind of partial to the Pearl White Optima in a normal model with standard options. They really pack a lot into the entry model for $15,299 but it's not going to hold more serious power enthusiasts. Thanks for the link and continued good hosting Edmunds.com! Mucho appreciated as I slowly prepare to purchase my next vehicle.

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    How much do you plan to try to sell the Optima for? If I were you, I would keep the Optima and sell the van. At least it's still under warranty, and the van probably isn't.
  • fangio2fangio2 Posts: 214
    something to do with the side airbags,I think.Have the dealers taken care of this?
  • serpentkiserpentki Posts: 20
    I own an Optima but have not yet been informed of a recall. I'll let you know when I hear, and how long it takes for remedy. -SK
    After seeing an article in the Detroit News it seems to be important to pass on to Optima owners and prospective owners. According to the article approximately 9000 Optima's are affected. The seat adjuster function could cause the side airbag to either not inflate or inflate for no reason. The article was fairly specific but not too detailed. Hope this is of some help.
  • harryalb2harryalb2 Posts: 6
    Talked to my dealer today about recall. Some possibility of the placement of the side airbag wiring might place it too close to the track and could wear through the wires. They are checking all the wires and either moving the wires out of the way with clips or of they are worn, taking the car off the road until parts come in to replace the harness etc. (putting you in a loaner) They were unsure if it included manual seats also or just the power seats, but I could take it in anyway to check just in case or wait to receive a letter about it.
  • Hi, I am new, and have been interested in trying a KIA in the Albany, N.Y. area, but hae found that the two in our area (Albany and Burnt Hills-Saratoga) have each discontinued carrying KIA in the past 5 months! The only dealer is 47 miles north in Glens Falls, which is too far for service or a tow, if needed.

Have any of you noticed any KIA dealer "dopouts" in yor area? Will Hyundai dealers in my area perhaps carry their "sister" brand?

Input, please....thanks!
    I live in the Seattle area and I haven't noticed any Kia dealerships dropping out. I haven't noticed any new ones, either.

• ski3166ski3166 Posts: 1
    I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND HAVE A OPTIMA. NOT ONLY AM I VERY HAPPY WITH MY OPTIMA, BUT ALSO THE QUALITY OF SERVICE THESE DEALERS ARE GIVING. I HAD MY RECALL FIXED AND THEY PROVIDED ME WITH A LONER CAR IT ONLY TOOK TWO HOURS. WHEN I ARRIVED AT THE DEALERSHIP MY CAR WAS DONE, FULL OF GAS AND CLEANED. I KNOW I LIVE IN AMERICA BUT KIA IS DOING EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO MAKE ME FORGET THAT. I AM A KIA FAN. THERE ARE KIA DEALERS OPENING UP ALL OVER HERE !
    My dealer has dealt with me similarly with my '99 Kia Sephia. It's had one warrranty-covered part go bad and have to be replaced and two recalls. All fixes were done quickly with no cost to me (obviously), there was cheap coffee and TV to watch and beautiful Kia's all over the place to stare at. Dealer aftercare is really important and mine has been fantastic. Yes, a washed car always comes out of the deal, too. You get quality low-priced new cars and great afterpurchase care by your dealer and it goes a long way into turning you into a Kia/Hyundai lifer. I'm glad you like your Optima. I'm looking for owner feedback on Optima and I'm also interested in Kia's new Sephia II coming out this summer. I've read that Optima's ride is quiet and nice and acceleration is fine. I like the looks of the Optima better than the new Sonata Hyundai is debuting this year for 2002. Although Optima people might also consider the new Sonata. Go to the Sonata 2 site at Edmunds.com and see for yourself.

• sedanman2sedanman2 Posts: 26
    HELLO ALL ,PURCHASED THE OPTIMA LAST NITE.DEALER IS GOING TO LOCATE EXCACT CAR FOR ME,IF NOT WILL ORDER.WILL TAKE 3 WEEKS.TEST DROVE OPTIMA LX V6 WITH ABS+CD+FLOORMATS,CAR IS EXCELLENT,VERY SOLID FEELING,HANDLED TURNS VERY WELL,WITH LITTLE ROLL,STOPPED SMOOTHLY, AND WENT OVER BUMPS WITH EASE,(VERY IMPORTANT ON LOUSY NY STREETS)ORDERED SE V6 BLACK WITH LEATHER,ABS.AND FLOORMATS.CANT WAIT.WILL KEEP YOU POSTED WITH MORE DETAILS OF THE DEAL,AND ARRIVAL OF BLACK BEAUTY....
  • yuri_luvyuri_luv Posts: 4
    Why do people start saying bad things when it's "Kia", Hyundai Sonata received all good reviews on almost every site or megazines and when it comes to Kia Optima which is on the platform of Sonata, everyone says "recall problems" and everything...

I dont know... i think it's just overreacting....
  • bmsorybmsory Posts: 17
    I first the New 2001 optima got
    me some attention but kind of back off
    when it has a recall...
    You are new on the road and
    you are hungry for customers
    you should not make any mistakes
    @ the very first time. Don't let
    people say " Cheap products are low
    on quality " Just like any products
    in 99 cents stores,Only candies and
    cookies are ok Don't you think so..?
  • enetheneth Posts: 285
    Considering the number of major recalls due to very serious defects committed by the "old hands" in the auto industry (GM with the don't-drive-them Trailblazer/Bravada/Envoy, D-C with the don't-drive-them minivans, and Ford with the Escape/Tribute, Focus, and Explorer) - Kia and Hyundai are not doing too bad.
    I'll ignore what ever that was in 110. Funny, people see certain brands as untouchable in quality and others as junk. My experience with my cars and friends/familys cars have never been perfect.

1998 Ford Mustang GT/power seat shorted out and a recall
    1998 Ford Crown Vic/two recalls and traded in for bad transmission dealer couldn't fix
    2001 Lexus GS300/Tires replaced with large bulges in the side, roofline trim coming off, fog light fell off
    2001 Cadillac Escalade/wood trim keeps coming off
    1994 Toyota Corolla/bad wind noise from poorly designed seals, recall, window regulators broke twice
    1993 Chevy Blazer/bad leaf springs, broken hinges on back window
    1994 GMC Sonoma/computer went bad, a/c switch broken first day
    1995 Mazda 626/new transmission after two years
    2001 Chevy S-10/brakes replaced, computer chip replaced

So, from what I've personally had and seen I don't see any perfect manufacturers. I'll admit Kia was not on my list of cars to consider not long ago, not even Hyundai. But, so far, 4000 miles on my Optima and I'm totally satisfied. Guess Cadillac, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Mazda, GMC and Lexus just happen to make one bad car each and get them to me and my friends. Oh well.
    Has anyone ever heard the line that the average car contains 3,000 moving parts (I suppose they're just roughly counting moving parts not the countless stationary ones)? This sounds close enough to me to be believable so this is my point to ponder. Harryalb2 has made a nice list of his past vehicles and their problems. Does anyone ever get a thought that manufacturer's are doing quite well producing how they are now? If you look past Ford/Firestone's winning combination (!!!!) Just kidding-sort of. I'm REALLY STARTING TO WONDER ABOUT OUR FRIENDS AT FORD. They had a hand in these rollover problems. Duh! Back to what I was saying about manufacturers in general. With all those moving parts in motion on an average car that's a lot of friction and a lot of action going on whenever the vehicle's moving. They're going to mess up. The two recalls and one warranty-covered electronic part that decided to die on my '99 Kia Sephia were replaced in a total of about 3 hours at no cost to me. Add some general maintenance time and what's the problem? If Kia tried to hide a real problem I'd be upset but they haven't. Speaking of recalls the Optima was recalled, harryalb2. Did you hear about it? I think it's all Optima's in this it's initial production year. Sorry! Perhaps you've already had it fixed. Still, if you have a decent dealer coupled with the Long-Haul Warranty you'll be taken care of.

• giowagiowa Posts: 599
    ... the owner/driver. If only people would learn more about cars, how to drive them properly, and how to maintain them over time. If the average Joe or Jane wouldn't mistreat or abuse their cars so much, they'd have fewer problems. How many take the time to fully read the owner's manual? How many Explorer owners took the time to look at the tire pressure/weight limit tag built into the door jam?
    It seems to me that many new models likely to
    have some bugs and those bugs will be fixed
    when they are recalled. And ofcourse, NO ONE
    is perfect. I believe there are some more bugs
    on the very new models that we don't really know
    and those bugs will be fixed on the next year models and I will have to wait and see how my
    wife's future car the new "2002 optima" doing...
    Iluvmysephia1, I know about that recall. Been checked, nothing to fix. I wasn't trying to rag other makes in order to improve my Kia image. My only thing was that some posts are so ignorant in their belief that Kia is the "only" car manufacturer that had problems in the past. I admit, I'm sure my Optima will have little things come up over time, but it isn't the first or last car to do so. Kia, and Hyundai, had problems, and they've made wonderful improvements to fix those problems. We'll have to wait and see how the future holds up, but if anyone really believes that buying some other manufacturers car will exempt them from problems, then I wish them luck.
    I totally agreed,
    NO ONE is perfect. 10 years ago hyundai
    was a piece of junk, the cheapest car
    in the world and the lowest quality car
    in the world also. But, Hyundai today is
    second to none. The price, Value, Workmanship
    and quality they are improved. I beleive today
    car is better than yesterday car and somedays
    the Korean cars will be on the road more and
    more...BM
    and I feel that this country also lets 16 year olds grab the wheel way too easily. I'm starting to favor the 18 year old starting driver age. The fast pace of today's traffic and the lack of driver skill and judgement continues to threaten us all. I'm driving in the nation's 2nd worst traffic(Seattle area-2nd only to L.A.)so I see just about everything out there. Just like my simulator instructor in 10th grade said I would. He was right! The continuous thrill to have to go 10-15 mph over the limit is not only annoying it's dangerous. Throw some moronic truck drivers with moronic bosses into the mix and I-5 is one big nightmare to drive. Even at 10:00PM it can be crowded on Seattle's freeways(!!!!!):( I do agree that reading one's owner's manual and following maintenance procedures is super important and we know it was partly to blame for the Explorer rollovers. Really. No, I wasn't insisting that Kia wasn't perfect enough. I'll never try and give that impression. I was simply stating that cars are sophisticated machines with many parts interwoven and meshing and moving and they're gonna grind and fail here and a there. Especially with the need for electric wiring going here and there. A lot of recalls are really being over careful but that's cool, isn't it? The Kia Sephia ones I've been involved with have gone breezily and easily and I'm glad they were taken care of for me. Happy motoring Americans!!!

Did you check autonews.com today? Guess who's ahead by 46.% May to May. It isn't F or DC or GM it's KIA. Hyundai also did 34.% better. "Oh gosharoooooney Buffahhhlo Baaaaahb, I just can't understaaand it" "What do youuuuu saaaay, Clarabelle?" Honk...honk... "Where's Mr Bluster?"
    "Gee, Howdy, I think he went to the Kia dealer to buy a car"
    It's all coming up roses for 'da S.Korean boys! I can even enjoy it without being able to access The Hyundai Connection website and sprayin' glorious Kia graffiti around! Don't raise your prices Kia! Employ generous use of robots! Keep your smokin' big factory clean! What's more, The Guess Who and Joe Cocker are preppin' for a 41-city U.S. tour! I musta fell off the right sideda 'da bed!!!!!

• giowagiowa Posts: 599
    Check out the July 2001 issue of Road & Track. Has a strange one-page first drive review of "the all-new Kia Optima". Odd that there is no mention, no whatsoever, of its Hyundai Sonata roots. Article doesn't mention Hyundai or the Sonata. Does talk about the Porsche-licensed Tiptronic manumatic shifter. And says "Kia says that a largerer-displacement V-6 is on the way for the 2002 model year."