Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 T&C Ignition Switch Problem

2»

Comments

• jaws858jaws858 Posts: 1

I don't have a permanent solution, but possibly a temporary fix. First, let me tell you what my problem is. Like most of you have mentioned, I have been stranded with my 2008 T&C not starting. I turn the key and it gives one click. It doesn't attempt to turn over....just a click. I have had it towed to the dealer one time and been jump started by a tow truck one time. Many other times, I was able to turn the ignition from 2 to 100 times and eventually the van would start. I have tried switching the gear shifter as some have stated, it seemed to work from time to time. I have had the van at the dealer 5 times now, all for the same problem. A couple of times they couldn't recreate the problem. They changed the negative battery terminal one time and said that fixed it. It didn't. They changed the starter one time and said that fixed it. It didn't. The last time they changed the battery and said that fixed it. It didn't.

The most success I have had from getting my van to start was from my own non-mechanical knowledge tinkering. Here is what I did. I was trying to follow the cables in the wiring harness, beside the battery, to find any loose connections. After messing with it for about 5 minutes, I gave up and found nothing. When I went to start the car next. It started right up. It worked like that for about 3 months with no problems. Then it wouldn't start anymore. I went under the hood and messed with the wires again. Another 3 weeks of starting with no problems. Then, I couldn't get it to help anymore. That's when the starter was changed. 2 days of working and then the problem again. I messed with the wires and good for about a month. Then trouble again. Took to the dealer and they changed the battery. 2 days again of starting and then it gave me problems again. Now, every time it gives me problems, I mess with the wires and it works for a while.

I know this is not a permanent fix, but maybe someone can figure out how to relate this wiring issue with some of the other temporary fixes and come up with a real solution.

• tsu670tsu670 Posts: 293

My wife's 2010 T&C Limited died at a stop light when it was only 3 months old. Wouldn't restart. Towed to dealer. Has it for 2 days and finds a place where the wiring harness in the engine was grounding out. Replaces entire wiring harness (under warranty, of course). That was 4 years ago. So far, so good (knocking on wood).

2»