Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 T&C Ignition Switch Problem

2»

Comments

• tnelluctnelluc Posts: 1
    85,000+ miles so far. Within past year experienced Van not starting.1st Time got a jump; 2nd time a jump did the trick; 3rd time AAA guy came, wiggled the key a few times & it started & took to dealer. They couldn't find anything wrong. 5th time - no help around. Trying to figure what to do. For a reason, I know not why, turned key to ON POSITION, moved gear lever from PARK to DRIVE and back, turned key to start & it started. Couple more times that problem occured and followed the same procedure & it started. Wrote CHRYSLER, they had no answer but go to Dealer. Dealer didn't have a clue. Just finished a 4,300 mile trip up north - no problem. Was thinking about not having a problem yesterday. Today, after going to store it wouldn't start. Did the same procedure above and it started......Go figure...It's probably in the wiring but they aren't interested in the customer after the sale.
  • seth31seth31 Posts: 3
    Occasionally my van will not start. there is a few times that when I do attempt to start it when it turns over it immediately shuts off at the same time there are my AC and rear defrost and rear windshield wiper buttons flashing when they stop flashing is when the problems occur and then there's times it won't start at all but after it sits awhile it will start up like nothing's wrong with it. I've replaced the relay switches the battery and alternator then I was told to replace the computer and have it reconfigure to the van which I did and it still is not solving the issue. at one time my wife had to drive down the road with the alarm going off. that is also another issue we are having when it starts acting up the alarm light on the dash is lit up and then there's times we get it started and the blower motor in the van blows hot on the passenger side and AC on the driver side and then sometimes when we get it running the MPH needles don't work for the RPM's gas nothing on the dash cluster if anyone has experienced this issue or has an answer and can help me I would greatly appreciate it thanks
  • seth31seth31 Posts: 3
    By the way it didn't let me post the fact that my van is a 98 With the issues above If that makes a difference
  • 2008 Town & Country 85000mi
    After the car stayed parked all afternoon in heavy heat after the AC has been fixed last week, came back to pick up the car, didn't start. Retried several times, finally started, drove back home.
    Since, just got worse and worse. Yesterday I tried to start it for 15 minutes but nothing, dashboard stayed black. If door opened, alarm sound would come off and mileage would display.
    Brought the car to the dealership this morning - they say they have to replace BOTH the key and the ignition system - it will cost me about $700!
    Apparently this is a pretty common issue on those cars, why there isn't a recall on that, and why Chrysler doesn't pay its share since it's obviously a design issue?
  • Try a new battery first, it has fixed my van every time....I have put three new ones in it so something really zaps them, not sure what. I had to get a larger stronger one.
  • Has the win switch been replaced, where the chip key goes? There was a recall on the switch way back in 2009. Had mine replaced under recall.
  • Hey I'm having the same problem with my town and country. Did you ever get the problem fixed? What were the parts and labor?
  • My van has been sitting since Friday. I'm having the same issues. This has been going on for about 2 years, after sitting for a bit, it would finally start. We have replaced batteries, battery harness.

Chrysler said they cannot reprogram my keys that I have to buy new ones.

This is frustrating!! :sick:
  • I have a 2006 Town & County Chrysler Van. The van sometimes will not start. When I turn the key it starts & immediately shut off. My mechanic said that the alarm system is not reading the key. I had someone reset the key, and after a while the problem occur again. Now it runs down the battery and I need a jump. If there is a recall on the keys or alarm, I would like to know who I can call or contact.
    Also, the sliding door on the back right side will not lock or unlock. It get stuck all the time. If there is a recall on the door, I would like to know who to call or contact. I called the Chrysler 1-800 number, and they said that there is no recall for my vehicle. Thanks

• jaws858jaws858 Posts: 1

I don't have a permanent solution, but possibly a temporary fix. First, let me tell you what my problem is. Like most of you have mentioned, I have been stranded with my 2008 T&C not starting. I turn the key and it gives one click. It doesn't attempt to turn over....just a click. I have had it towed to the dealer one time and been jump started by a tow truck one time. Many other times, I was able to turn the ignition from 2 to 100 times and eventually the van would start. I have tried switching the gear shifter as some have stated, it seemed to work from time to time. I have had the van at the dealer 5 times now, all for the same problem. A couple of times they couldn't recreate the problem. They changed the negative battery terminal one time and said that fixed it. It didn't. They changed the starter one time and said that fixed it. It didn't. The last time they changed the battery and said that fixed it. It didn't.

The most success I have had from getting my van to start was from my own non-mechanical knowledge tinkering. Here is what I did. I was trying to follow the cables in the wiring harness, beside the battery, to find any loose connections. After messing with it for about 5 minutes, I gave up and found nothing. When I went to start the car next. It started right up. It worked like that for about 3 months with no problems. Then it wouldn't start anymore. I went under the hood and messed with the wires again. Another 3 weeks of starting with no problems. Then, I couldn't get it to help anymore. That's when the starter was changed. 2 days of working and then the problem again. I messed with the wires and good for about a month. Then trouble again. Took to the dealer and they changed the battery. 2 days again of starting and then it gave me problems again. Now, every time it gives me problems, I mess with the wires and it works for a while.

I know this is not a permanent fix, but maybe someone can figure out how to relate this wiring issue with some of the other temporary fixes and come up with a real solution.

2»