Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Diamante

Comments

• vivonavivona Posts: 410
    Though there are owners that have had problems with brake pulsation, I think you will find that the Diamante is no different than other cars. If mechanics overtighten the lug nuts or turn rotors using the improper lathe, that will lead to brake pulsation. Many owners go the life of the car without a problem. For instance, twoof1 went 76,000 miles with one rotor turning - that is not unusual for any car. I personally have known six owners that have gone 75,000 to 180,000 miles without rotor problems. I have spoken to several representatives of Mitsubishi factory service and they all say that the incidence of rotor warping is no greater on the Diamante than on cars in general, and is most often caused by overtightened lug nuts.

So all owners that have had problems with brake rotors, go ahead and call NHTSA. I think you will find that there has been no recall to date because there is no specific brake problem with the Diamante. But I rather see owners doing something proactively than just complaining. I have written an extensive online article about brake pulsation and offered to work with any mechanically inclined owner in diagnosing the problem. So far all I have read are owner complaints, but no reall productive owner action to solve the problem. If enough owners call NHTSA, they will be prompted to investigate. That can't hurt. Information is the first step in finding a solution.

For those that missed it, the brake article is at http://www.geocities.com/diamanteowner/article2.htm

Mr. Vivona

I will be offline for 10 days. I will rejoin the conversation after June 6th.

Mr. Vivona
  • jalteriojalterio Posts: 5
    I had a 1994 Mitsu Diamante in a limited edition blue pearl. I wish I would have held on to this car. Anyways, I loved the D so much, I traded up for a 1997 Diamante. I wish I never made such a move. The Diamante had rotor problems, a clunk in the steering column,rattles in all four corners, misaligning doors, and was expensive to fuel and maintain. I traded my D in for a 2002 Infinity. What a difference in ride, handling, features, warranty, and dealer service. I use to think that the D was a bargain, but it is really isn't. I wish the best of luck to Vivona and all others. I hope Mitsu corrects the rotor warping for all those unfortunate owners. Hopefully, a redesigned D is in the works, however, it will face a stiff challenge from Infinity I35, the new Lexus, and Acura S-type.
  • taurusmantaurusman Posts: 5
    I have a 93' Diamante Es with a little under 71,000 miles. I bought it six months ago at 69,000 miles. I am hearing a lot of road noise and rumbling in the cabin when driving. Does anyone know what could cause this?
  • taurus2taurus2 Posts: 63
    They should Import the Mitsubishi Magna VR-X! That would compete well with the I-35 and Acuras S Type. The Lexus ES300 is also getting a redesign as well. Now this car should compete quite nicely!

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/magna_vr-x/index.html

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at catheins@yahoo.com. As always, you can contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • timtrantimtran Posts: 29
    Several weeks ago, someone from this board posted that he would have stillen rotors installed on his Diamante. May I know the outcome of such replacement ? I am thinking of replacing mine and am considering going with aftermarket rotors.
    Thanks.
  • I just recently replaced my front and rear rotors on my Diamante LS 1997. I have to let you know first Stillen only offers front cross drilled rotors/pads for the Diamante NO rear cross drilled or slotted rotors are offered. I used NAPA rotors/pads for the rear. I am very pleased with the set up. There is little brake dust or squeak from the system. Also the cross drilled front rotors give the car a more sporty look. I feel it's worth the buy. The front rotor are kind of expensive but definitely worth it in my opinion.
    I just had the opportunity to test drive an Infinity I-30 a friend at work was considering buying. I was expecting it to be real impressive and stiff competition for a Diamante. I first rode in the back seat and chatted with the salesman. I told him I was a happy 1999 Diamante owner and he said (no kidding) "oh, the Diamante is the top of the class; Mitsubishi makes excellent cars!" As we rode along I noticed an excessive amount of road noise coming from the trunk area.

Then it was my turn to drive the I-30. The seat was not as comfortable as the Diamante. I felt the leather, which had a pebble finish, looked more like vinyl than leather. As I accelerated, the transmission at first bogged down, then abruptly downshifted. According to Motorweek, the I-30 takes a second longer to make it to 60 than my Diamante. From the front seat I also could hear a lot more road noise than my Diamante. The brakes were not as linear as my Diamante. As I maneuvered through a slalom shortcut around the back of a shopping center I found the steering to not be as easy and linear as my Diamante. I noted the bottom of the doors were finished in plain plastic and not carpeted like my Diamante. Scuff marks show readily on plain plastic surfaces. The side window defrosters for the front windows were just dash-mounted vents like a cheaper car. The Diamante has ducts into the doors with grilles at the bottom of the window, a better design.

This test drive left me smiling from ear to ear when we got back to the office and I saw my beautiful Diamante parked there. As I drove off in my Diamante I could really feel the difference in comfort and performance . . . the Diamante is much better!

Later, when my friend asked what I thought about the I-30, I told him about the road noise, abrupt transmission, grabby brakes, etc. and he actually agreed with me on all counts. He said these problems weren't a big deal for him and he was motivated to buy the I-30 because his wife really likes the way it looks. Also, the I-30 has a stellar reputation for reliability and he keeps cars for 16 years. He did say he might re-look at the Maxima because it seemed quieter. Perhaps the trunk pass-through in the Maxima doesn't pass as much road noise as the fold down rear seat in the I-30.

So it really comes down to personal opinion when we select cars. I really like the way my Diamante looks, feels and performs and have had excellent luck with past Mitsubishi's. The I-30 test drive only reinforced my opinion.
  • webjeff2webjeff2 Posts: 21
    Hey, Vivona, I don't know if the Maxima is such a wise choice for your friend. A buddy of mine has one and for the past two years he's had quite a bit of trouble with it and the I30 is really a Maxima under the skin. I've heard of others with Maxima problems; nothing really wrong with the engine but a temendous amount of "nickel and dime" stuff that is a pain. What other cars is this guy looking at? I think that you might be loosing your touch there, Vivona; I'm suprised that you haven't "sold" him on the D. :) Has he driven yours? He also should try the Audi S4, BMW330 and Acura TL Type S. I drove them all recently (all impressive) but in the end threw caution to the wind and bought an S2000. Good luck to your friend.
    My friend has driven a Diamante and said he didn't like the seating position. Along with the muscular look of the Diamante comes a higher beltline and that makes him feel he is sitting too low. Interesting to note that I am several inches shorter than him and I like the seating position in my Diamante just fine. I think a lot of his decision is based on what car his wife likes the looks of, and styling appeal is very subjective. She likes the I-30's style a lot...

The Audi and BMW are priced above his $30K MSRP limit. He doesn't like the feel of Honda cars and didn't like the Acura TL.

Another friend has been looking at cars in the near luxury (but under $30K) segment for some time and he is a six-footer. He has driven them all and admits the Diamante is a nice ride and looks better than them all, but he can only fit well into an Avalon. Only problem, he doesn't like the exterior styling of the Avalon, particularly the rear backup lights in the trunk lid. He has been test driving cars off and on for 18 months now. He really likes the Maxima's drive, but considers the exterior styling quite ugly. Currently, he is waiting for the new "larger than Maxima" Altima due out in 2002 in hopes that it will fit him and look better than the ugly Maxima.

I think a lot of people like some things about each car, but cannot find a single car with everything they like in it. This is particularly a problem for those that keep a car a real long time. They are going to have to live with the car for a decade or more and don't want to be annoyed by the negatives. I am one of those long-term owners. I happen to like everything about the Diamante and can see owning it for many years. Right now, there is nothing else out there that appeals to me that way.

Mr. Vivona
    I'm curious though; I think that you mentioned, in the past that your wife drives an older Galant, are you thinking about replacing that anytime soon and if so, with what? Any possibilities of "straying from the Mitsu party line"? I agree with you that for the most part people see some of what they like in most every car; I for one, would've picked the TL Type S as the hands down winner in this segment; 260hp, GREAT handling, smooth and quiet but did not buy it due to one glaring omission, lack of available manual transmission. Also, this car, along with all others in this segment seemed to large for my tastes. I also agree with you on the ugliness of the new Maxima and the questionable styling of the Avalon but I just can't seem to recognize the Diamante as having "muscular styling".
  • monatexmonatex Posts: 3
    Hi, I am looking at a 1997 ES model. It has 40000 miles. What is the dependability like on these models? What kind of problems have you all had? The dealer is asking $16,500 for it. Is that a good price? Thanks!
  • I do not recommend buying this car used or new. If I were you I would buy a Acura TL 96-98 especially a 3.2, Lexus ES300 or Infiniti I30. My reason is the Diamante has to many problems with brakes/rotors, computer transmission module and numerous other problems. Also Mitsubishi customer service is downright poor. It is no match for the likes of Infiniti, Acura or Lexus when it comes to service after the sale. Trust me there nothing like service after the sale. PLEASE don't make this awful mistake. That's my opinion!!
  • timtrantimtran Posts: 29
    I am not trying to stir up another debate as to which car is better-I like them both-but I only want to point out that any mechanical device is bound to have problems. Just check the board with the above title and read for yourself. Maybe you will feel better about owning a Diamante, and happily dish out $200.00 for an aftermarket pair of front rotors. NAPA carries Beck rotors which should be good.
  • I purchased my 1st Diamante in 1993. Great car, no mechanical problems, sold it in 2000 for $5,000 with 117,000 miles on it.

Purchased a new 2000 AS which I was basically pleased with. Took it in for a number of warranty issues last week since I was thinking of selling it and buying a 2001 Diamante.

I was told that the antenna mast wasn't covered under warranty due to "customer abuse". My abuse consisted of driving on the highway with the radio on in the winter months.

Mitsubishi at sometime between 93 & 00 had decided to save $.02/antenna and go to a lighter gauge antenna mast. Driving in snow and ice on the highway caused the mast to curve so that it will not fully retract. I've seen a number of Diamantes on the road (actually parking lots) with this same problem. Due to Mitsu's failure to stand behind their product I will no longer be driving Mitsubishi products.
    I have been monitoring this thread and many others at this sight for sometime now and I agree that the issue of warping rotors does seem to be evident in many other manufacturer's cars but it appears that the Diamante is more prone to it than others. If the bean counters at Mitsu would give the OK for a thicker, more heat resistant rotor; the problem would be diminished. Years back, I owned a 96 Acura Integra GS-R which I occaisionally auto crossed and I had the dealer resurface the rotors once and then had them replaced once under warranty, due to vibrations while braking. I was also careful at the time to torque my wheels at 80lbs-ft and never let an air wrench near them. Now, being older but not necessarily wiser :) I do not take the time to torque my wheels by hand anymore but in 40000 miles my Prelude has had zero vibrations. Both it and the other Honda vehicles that I currently own do appear to have much thicker rotors than the weak ones that were on that GS-R, hence none have had any type of vibration. I think that bigger, thicker rotors are the cure for this problem; we shouldn't have to have such delicate ones that are subject to warpage just because the wheel was improperly torqued or the brakes were used aggressively. So, D owners, if you've got vibrations go to the after market and get your rotors, I'll bet that your brake problems will disappear.
    My wife still has the 89 Galant and it still looks and runs like new. It is a pleasure to drive and has been extremely reliable. I recently asked her when she would trade it and she said she couldn't imagine ever giving it up. She still loves it after 13 years. I said, okay, if it got totaled, what would you want to replace it with? She would chose between another Galant or a Diamante. She really likes my Diamante and enjoys her turn to drive when we do on road trips.

Mr. Vivona