Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Torrent Lurching

Comments

• The repair was recent, so the new plugs and wires have corrected the lurching. Based on what I have read here it would seem that the replacements most people have used have also failed early. GM apparently will indiscriminately choose to correct some as warranty repairs, others they will not. Given repeat failure of plugs the issue is not likely the plugs, but a design flaw, or material flaw with the engine itself. When considering the plug location I would hazard a guess that the plug wires are exposed to too much heat and get damaged, causing bad current to the plug and further damage. GM in my numerous conversations with the "customer service" reps won't say what the root cause was. If I had to bet I'd guess it has something to do with design compounded with pathetic quality control at a Chinese plant where these engines are made. GM is a shadow of the American company I used to love.
  • I have only 24000 miles on my 2008 torrent, 3.4 engine. I just now find out there is an issue with this fault that it might affect my car. vin #2ckdl33f286306526
    please could you verify my car is covered. code p0301 comes on with check engine light
    then goes off, engine miss power going up the hill or under a load. 3 yr warranty just expired
    need help, thanks,
  • fixwingman,

If you want to find out if they will cover the problem under warranty you need to go through GM. I'm not convinced the "reps" here are legitimate GM employees anyway. I would contact Pontiac via their website, and take the car to a GM dealer. Based on my experience, they are saying if you did not get the service bulletin mailed to you then your VIN is not covered (even though your car likely has the engine with the problem). The other obstacle I ran into was they continually questioned why I did not have my car repair done at a GM dealer. Apparently they failed to notice that the Pontiac dealers all went away after we bought our cars, not to mention you are not under any obligation to use them. Good Luck.
  • On my way to Minnesota from Colorado I have experienced the same problem. Have to drive back on Sunday, but can't get to a dealer between now and then. Gonna be a nerve racking ride home
  • My torrent is experiencing the same problem. I am curious whether your Check engine light came on. Mine is not on.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,109
    youngbought,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing. Were you planning on havign the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership? Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • The engine light never came on, it's likely your plugs and wires. My experience is that the GM Customer "Service" on this site are just trolling to give the false impression that some a GM still cares.
  • boz48boz48 Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with my 2007 Pontiac Torrent and called customer service only to be told that my VIN did not fall into recall, even though my car has the the same issues that the recall is supposed to cover.

We had this car in and out of dealer for varius issues while it was under warrenty, none which ever really were fixed, just band-aided and now it's out of warrenty and still has a laundry list of probelmes. So this is the last GM product my family will ever purchase. Good work GM, another young american family that won't buy your sub-stardard products.

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    boz48,
    I apologize for your experience and frustrations. Can you please send me your case number from Customer Assistance as well as your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I have a 09 Torrent, started experiencing a stutter/hiccup last week, hits usually betw 50-55mph, I thought it was bc I needed a new air filter, bad gas etc..called the dealer, rep mentioned the wires/spark plugs and I took it in today. Just got a call from him, it was actually a bad fuel injector, it was intermittently running on 5 cylinders instead of 6 and he also suggested an induction service to clean out all the fuel lines/injectors at 33k miles!?
  • I'd ask him to double check those wires and plugs. Bad ignition could lead to fouling of the throttle body, and I'd guess that would ultimately lead to injector issues. But it could be unrelated. At 33K at least you are under warranty, just try to find all the problems soon.
    flkelbel,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with your VIN, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I have a 2006 Torrent, and my car has been in and out of the shop for one problem after another from the sunroof leaking to the A/C not working, to the left front tire making a scrapaing noise constantly, then the heat not working and getting that fixed was a major cluster....Now having this problem. This problem has been going on for over six months not and the jerking is so hard sometimes that It feels like the transmission or engine is going to drop down to the ground. Now after driving for an hour or more the car is hestiant to accelerate after stopping at a stop sign.
  • mfield54,

I'm sorry to hear that you have had so many vehicle problems to deal with on your Torrent. Is your shop one of our dealerships? We'd be happy to follow up with them for you on this if you like.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • leca1975leca1975 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Torrent that I purchased 5 months ago. We live in Canada, it's a 3.4l engine Torrent. I am wondering if the spark plugs were recalled here as well and if they will be covered by GM. It has 87,000km and up until now we have been really happy with the SUV. Please Help!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    We'd be happy to check to see if there are any open recalls on your Torrent, leca1975. Please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the last 8 digits of your VIN (include that you'd like for us to check to see if there are any open recalls) and we'll get that information for you.

Aside from this, if you should require any further assistance I would recommend contacting GM of Canada at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have a 2007 Pontiac Torrent and recently I started to notice the problem of jerking when I accelerate and the engine light came on. I took the car in for a diagnostic test and was told that my transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I only have 59,000 miles on my car. By reading this forum I found a number to Pontiac. Where I was told by customer service that my car is out of warranty because they go by the in service date March 2007 and not the date of purchase May 2007. How am I suppose to know this? When I bought the car as new, I was under the impression that the warranty starts the date of purchase. I have had a ton or repairs, new battery, replacing fuses, replacing coolant holes and now a new transmission.
    somanyproblems,

Were you given a case number (71-**********) when you contacted customer service? We'd be happy to check into the progress on that and provide any updates if you wanted to send it to socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have had the problem with the spark plug/wire twice in the 31K miles on my 2008 Torrent. It is covered by the program (2CKDL______056413). The first time it happened was at about 14K miles and the night before we were going to Lake Erie towing a boat. The second time was driving through the night on a long trip. Is there a permanent solution yet? Will manufacturer's plugs and wires other than AC Delco correct the problem? Or, will replacing the plugs and wires before a trip increase the odds that I won't have a problem? The vehicle has enough trouble moving itself when the problem happens, I can't imagine that it can pull a 2400# boat & trailer without damage to the cat. converter. I'm scared to plan a trip.

Thanks
    ohiotorrent,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Can you please email me with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? Did you ask the dealer about taking the vehicle on a trip pulling a boat? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • Hi Christina,

VN is 2CKDL33F986056413. Dealer is Toth Buick. They seem like a good dealership. Sorry, I had the mileage wrong in the original note.
    Yes, I am sure I talked with the service person on 11/08/2010 (20,282 miles) about towing the boat and glad that we were not on our way to Lake Erie when the plug/wire went bad. Second plug/wire replacement was on 12/01/2011 (27, 977 miles). I don't think we discussed towing - just that there was no permanent fix. It made two trips to Wisconsin (550 miles each way) before the first plug/wire was replaced with no problems. Current mileage is 30,596 miles. Is it always a plug on the front side of the engine that goes bad? Those could be replaced on the road. Though, I could not tell by looking which plug was misfiring. The rear plugs are about impossible to even touch.

Thanks,

Dave
  • carmalcarmal Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I too, as so many other's am having problems with my 2006 Torrent, that seem to be adding up $$.
    The passenger's window quit working, air and heat only come out of the defrost at the winshield and the most recent is; you are driving down the road and the car dies, loss of total power( scary) So far, after sitting for awhile ( if you can make it off the road) , 3 or 4 turns of the key and it will restart. The ignition has a little hesitation too.
    Took it to the garage to have it put on the computer and it didn't show up anything! Mechanic said; it MIGHT be the computer, $700.00 to replace it BUT; they CAN NOT garintee that it will fix the problem!
    Any ideas for a perminent fix of the power loss problem? Can not afford to have an accident or to be guessing what will fix it!
    Any help would be greatly appriciated!
    Thank You, Carmal
    Good afternoon carmal,

Is the garage you're working with one of our GM dealerships? If so, we're happy to follow up on this with them for you. Please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • carmalcarmal Posts: 2
    Thank You, for your response
    I have sent an email, to the email you provided with all my information.
    Thank You, Carmal
  • peppe23peppe23 Posts: 1
    Torrent has 32k miles on it, engine light came on this morning, started chugging - called On Star for diagnostics and they said it was misfiring on "1".
    Is this a spark plug issue or a recall issue? Please help going away this weekend- bad time for this.
  • Were you able to get this resolved before heading out for the weekend? I hope all is well! If we can look into anything, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 of your VIN).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • csimonscsimons Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    My 2007 Pontiac Torrent has been hesitating upon acceleration. I spoke to the dealer yesterday about the sympthoms and they suspected the spark plugs and plug wires, as this has been a recall item with the Equinox. Upon checking my Torrent, it was indeed the same exact problem, but is not covered by the recall. I don't understand why not! If they know this is a problem effecting multiple cars, why are only a select few covered? I purchased an extended warranty, which of course ended at 5 yrs (only a few months ago), is there any other recourse for this problem? This is not a small expense but must be repaired for my Torrent to again be reliable transportation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Good morning csimons,
    When a recall situation has been observed by GM, we refer to our manufacturing records to determine which vehicles, identified by Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs), are involved. GM determines the start and end points of the issue within in the build process and then equate that to the range of vehicles (VINs) that carry the part or feature in question.

If you would like for us to look into the situation further with you, we're happy to do so. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details, including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Are u reading all of the complaints. Obviously the Dealership Isnt the Answer considering THEY dont FIX the problem or WONT cover it under the said warranty :sick:
  • I have been looking at a 2008 Torrent with 79,500 miles. I am seeking information from owners on this vehicle as to its reliability, etc. In other words, should I seriously consider this vehicle. Also, has it been discontinued and if so how long will parts/service be available for this vehicle. Comments will be most appreciated.