Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
edited March 24 in Toyota
Welcome to the continuation of the Toyota Camry 3
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic are
welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    There is a $500 rebate on the Camry and a $300 incentive on 2001 Corolla CE models with the automatic transmission. We get an extra $200 if we hit our August objective. These both are set to expire on the 5th of September.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...dealers have the computer to read the OBD code which will tell you instantly what the problem is. And, in fact, it is most likely the gas cap. Fact is, even after you correct the problem [cap not screwed on far enough to hear the multiple clicks], it takes several engine on-off cycles before the light goes out...just how many I'm not sure. But it won't go out right away...

Next most likely candidate is a faulty O2 sensor; possible but unlikely in a new car.

And the rebate on the Camry in the CA market is $750 in NorCal...may be even more in SoCal [I haven't picked up an LA Times lately].
  • What kind of change will I see in price negotiations after the fifth? I'm in a bind because I'm depending on the sale of a few acres of rental property to fund my new Camry XLE purchase. Though my buyer's bank assures me that these individuals' loan is dependant only a matter of time (10-12 days), I'm wondering if I'm going to get screwed by Toyota because dealer incentives and rebates are, supposedly, null after the fifth of September.

Also, I test drove the Mitsubishi Galant LS V-6 and GTZ, and I was terribly impressed. Great styling, ride, and gorgeous interior, all for much less than an XLE. Still, when it comes to longevity and dependability, where does the Galant stand?

Thanks,

wfmjr
    We got a new incentive sheet yesterday. My previous information was in error on one count and that is, the $500 rebate so ignore the whole thing.

here are the correct and current programs:

Good 9/1 to 9/5. All 2000 Camrys have either 5.9% APR financing for up to 60 months or $500 dealer incentive money. Dealer incentive money means it it not a rebate but the dealer can sell it for $500 less than he could a couple of days ago.

Good 9/1 to 10/2. All 2000 Camrys have 3.9%/5.9%/6.9% APR for 24/36/48 months or the $500 dealer cash.

These are obviously overlapping programs but the $500 dealer cash is good until 10/2. The only problem you may encounter is finding an XLE V6 if you wait too long. There are not that many of that model left.
  • Can anyone give me insight as to changing the left front turn signal bulb on a '97 Toyota CamryCE? It looks as though I might remove the two screws holding the headlight [non-permissible content removed]'y and could then gain access to the turn signal [non-permissible content removed]'y. Will some unanticipated part fall into a non-recoverable location, hence rendering my car undriveable, or is it a straightforward (relatively) operation? My age is showing. A few years ago, I would have been unfastening parts without a thought to gaining info from someone who might know. It also appears that by removing those two screws, I will not affect headlight aim (I hope.) Thanks.
  • wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    I checked with Consumer Reports 2000 Used Car Buging Guide.

Mitsubishi Galant for the 6 of the last 8 years (1992-1999, except 1993 and 1998 which had insufficient reliability data) received black check marks for reliability verdict (average reliability).

During the last 8 years, Toyota Camry reliability scored much better than industrial average consistantly. Indeed, it's used as the example of the very reliable car by Consumer Report.

Toyota Camry is one of only 9 automobiles that recieved all red check marks (above average) reliability verdict for all of the last 8 years. They were (in alphabetical order) Acura Integra, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Lexus ES300, Lexus LS400, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Truck, Toyota Camry, and Toyota Corolla.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Doesn't the owner's manual walk you through simple things like bulb changes? They used to [last one for me was a 93 Camry]...certainly Honda does on the Accords that are currently in my garage. Never had a problem doing this kind of repair at home...and no, I don't think you can affect headlight aim unless you do something really ham-fisted with the actual cluster assembly.
  • Exhaust System Problem with 2000CE

I bought a 2000 Camery CE(Auto) in July. I smelt some light burning when I test-drove it. The dealer told me that it is normal: Toyota applies some sort of coating on their engine and exhaust system. You will smell the burning for the first few hundred miles and it is going to burn off pretty soon.

But right now my car already has 600 miles on it and the burning is not going away and getting worse and worse. Sometime I can see light smoke coming out under the hood. Yesterday I got down under the car right after I drove back from work. And I can see some heavy smoke coming out of a filter looking thing along the exhaust pipe under the engine. The car sometime jerks slightly when it shifts and it is not doing great on gas either(17 miles per gallon in cities). I already scheduled an appointment with the local Toyota Service Store for next Wednesday. Before I hear what they have to say, I am wondering if anybody in this forum have ever heard about this problem and could give me some suggestions on how to deal with it between now and Wednesday.
  • You are correct and thank you. Talk about overlooking the obvious. The change avoided the headlight [non-permissible content removed]'y altogether. Now if only my auto parts store had sold me an amber bulb instead of clear. . .
    Michael
    Sounds like a problem. The exhaust is coated with cosmoline and this does burn off in the first 20 to 200 miles. In only one case did I ever actually see smoke associated with this.
  • any news on the Camry 2001. does anybody know if the shape, features or other things are changed on the new 2001 models. this will help me in deciding to wait for the 2001 models or just buying the 2000 model in it ending months. all suggestions/info appreciated.
    The Camry is unchanged except for a new "Gallery Series" that will come out this fall. This is just a two tone package with special alloys and dash. The new Camry brochures are now available.
  • Though I'm not sure what Edmunds means about uncomfortable seats, I've had my own bad experience with them. The problem emanates from the fact that the seat cushion on my '97 LE is not tiltable.

My '92 Camry LE had separate fore and aft knobs for the seat cushion that allowed it to tilt, but when Toyota redesigned the Camry, it replaced the two knobs with one that permits only a straight up and down height adjustment.

As a result, the seat cushion of the '97 LE is at a permanent upward angle that can't be adjusted. The problem for me was that the front, forward edge of the seat cushion, which is stiff, was mercilessly pushing into my thighs, causing a great deal of discomfort. The cure (after many false attempts) was two-fold: 1) working out at the gym and tightening my hamstrings; 2) taking the car to an aftermarket seat upholsterer and having him insert an extra foam pad underneath the seat cushion fabric, effectively raising the height of my legs relative to the forward edge.

I'm 5'6", so even if the seat is the same in the current model, you might not have this problem. But on the other hand, you might end up getting "stuck," but in a different part of the body!

The moral of the story: if you can order a seat with a tiltable cushion, do it!

That said, if my car were totaled tomorrow, I'd certainly buy another Camry 4. I just completed my second cross-country trip in it and got 31 MPG overall, despite mountain roads and 80 MPH on the interstates. On the whole, if you want a car that doesn't excite but comes with an absence of annoyances, it's a good choice. Just have your seat upholsterer in mind when you buy one.
    Brilliantly put in your last paragraph.

"On the whole, if you want a car that
    doesn't excite but comes with an absence of
    annoyances, it's a good choice."
  • Does anyone know much horsepower and torque the 2.7 V-6s offered in the 91 Camry DXs and LEs made?Know that this is way off the topic but I would really to find out.
    THANX
  • I took my wife's 97 Camry CE 5speed to the dealer
    today, the clutch is slipping. The clutch needs repaced at only 40k miles. So much for the myth about Camry reliability. On this car the tires and brakes are still good, but the clutch is worn out. I know what you think, its the driver. My wife has driven a stick all her life, and so have I, you cannot convince me that this clutch was not faulty from day one, but it is out of warranty so I will pay about $900.00 to replace it, but there will never be another Toyota in our future. Thank GOD that I drive a SUBARU.
  • depending on your driving style. I know most people who drive MT in traffic replace'em every 50K.
  • I have been driving manual transmission cars for 35 years and currently have a 98 camry ce. I have put over 200k on two of them and the only one I ever had a clutch go out on was an 84 dodge daytona. Sugardog you may want to consider an independent shop to fix your clutch. $400-600 would be a more reasonable price.

My 98 camry ce does have very uncomfortable seats and also a suspension banging in the rear under full load on rough roads. The dealer seems seems to not have a clue as to what it is but claims toyota is working on it. This has been a problem since I drove it off the lot two years ago. If anyone out there has similar trouble please post.
  • Hello!

I read on Deja News about a topic similar to what you describe... Camry 4 cylinders hitting the pavement when loaded with 4 adults(bottoming out). I recall the problem was due to the spring coils they use and they are too soft. The original poster asked his dealer to replace the springs with the V6 Camry springs. It appears that the V6 springs are more stiff than those in the 4 cylinder models. Personally I have a 1999 V6 LE and have not had any bottoming problems.
  • Hello!

Where can I get a hold of the full technical bulletins for the Toyota Camry?

Thanks!