Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• I own a 1998 Camry V6 XLE and am very disappointed on its performance in snow and slippery roads. I changed out the original set of tires after just 12,000 miles as I thought this was the problem. But with Dunlop High Performance All Weather there is no improvement. Dealers and Service Managers tell me they have never heard of such a thing.

The car just doesn't handle the slip very well even with Traction Control.

Could it be that the V6 has too much torque and the wheels break loose too easily? Any suggestions?
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    Thanks for the reply! Do you have any squeaks like I stated in my first post? Good luck on your trip into the dealership - I hope they fix it right the first time! Keep me posted. Thanks!!
  • The seat is the only problem I'm having with squeaks. The car can be sitting still and if I move around in my seat it does it. Good Luck!
  • soberssobers Posts: 496
    I drove Camry 80+ when speed limit was 75 !!
    Generally I drive 5-7 miles + over speed limit.

Does it worry you ? Now face this:
    # of vechicles I passed doing 80: ZERO !!
    # of vechicles passed me: virtually all of them!!
    Why ? They were driving atleast 10 miles over the speed limit. I saw 2/3 cops alongside the freeway didn't mind 10 over the speed limit.

Sometimes you have to speed just to stay safe in the traffic. (Chicago: psoted limit 55 on 6 lane freeway. People in leftmost lane: 85 !!)
  • I bought a 2000 camry LE prior to 2001's hitting the market> It is the first Toyota for me, a dyed in the wool accord fan. I notice that when cold it sounds like I have straight pipes without much of a muffler. At different speeds I also get a rumbbling sound like I have glass pack mufflers, this happens between the engine pulling and coasting. Is this common with the toyota? Also when slowing down it seems there is no engine braking or at most very little. Only have 3095 miles
  • heavenbound, I've only owned my Camry for a year. I have all the rec's since it was new and they show infrequent but costly maintenance. I intend to drive it for several years. The 115hp four was of very little appeal. I waited for a V6, and a manual at that (hard to find). At 140k, it's making a clunking noise over bumps and in between gears. I think I need new bushings or motor mounts. Anyone, is this expensive? Otherwise it runs fine.

Sebring95, I'm curious to know about your 92 with 175k. I really wanted the 3.0 in the 92 but couldn't afford it at the time. How much of its life have you owned it? I hear about many 4cyls gettinginto high mileage easily, but few v6s.
    I hate to think what a valve job will cost on the 24valves. Have you done it? Have you had to replace the tranny?
    I was told the v6 auto trans has more electronics than the four's and is quite expensive to replace. Is gentle driving/meticulous maintainance a factor in your case? Lastly, was it made in Japan or US?
    Yes, silver is one of my favorite colors too. Hope your Jeep works out for you. I guess the 97 Cam is gone.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Snow is a difficult thing to deal with. On dry pavement, wide tires are better. On snow, they are a liability. On dry pavement, 194 HP is a great asset. On snow it is a huge liability. Combine the two and you've got issues. This is why our Corollas do so well in snow but the Camry and Avalon (and other similar sized cars with similar tires) don't.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    I've owned the 92 since new. They were very pricey at the time especially compared to other models. I think I paid around $20,000 for it. It pretty much had every option but leather.

I'm not very easy on a vehicle, and that's one reason I've been such a Toyota fan. This car has been nearly flawless for the most part. I have all the records on it and the only repair I've made that was abnormal was the front drivers power window regulator and the power antenna motor.

I'm not really a maintenance freak. I have changed the oil at 4K to 5K mile intervals. Flushed the coolant system every 30K miles. Timing belt was changed at 80K miles. I'm on my third set of plugs, second set of wires, third set of front pads, second set or rear pads, just changed the front rotors & tranny fluid was changed at 100K miles. Recently the factory CD player started giving my wife fits. Everything else functions as normal, pretty much like new. I figure the thing has to start breaking down, but it hasn't yet. The wife likes it better than the 97 model we have, and so far hasn't picked out a replacement. It's paid for itself 3 or 4 times really.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    you say the 92 had a CD problem..my question is-- did they have a CD in the 92?? i think back at 1992 cars, and i don't think a CD came with the car, just a cassette, even as an option...did you have a CD player installed sometime later? maybe i'm nuts, but to me, if a 1992 camry came with a CD, then I must not be remembering things right...
  • Actually mine had a factory 8-track, just like the one that was in my '79 Trans-Am that I traded in........Actually the '92 had 3 offerings, the standard radio, an AM/FM Cassette, an upgraded version (better speakers) and a 3rd that included a CD player. The CD player was also a dealer installed accessory.
    Came with the car, it has the am/fm cassette with the CD player under it. I don't remember what the charge was, I'd have to look at my sticker. I don't remember it being a dealer installed option, but it could have been.
  • If it's bushings or motor mounts it shouldn't be very expensive. Good Luck!
    Came with the car, it has the am/fm cassette with the CD player under it. I don't remember what the charge was, I'd have to look at my sticker. I don't remember it being a dealer installed option, but it could have been.
  • slesssless Posts: 10
    I'm ready to down size from a Toyota Sienna to either a Toyota Camry, Acura 3.2TL or Lexus ES300. My wants are simple: a car that is reliable, comfortable, quiet and has good resale value. These three seem to fit the bill. I'm leaning towards the Lexus, but would like further input. I really wish these vehicles had exciting, unique appearances, but they are all about the same.
  • rcoosrcoos Posts: 167
    Does anyone have any information on the 2002 Camry ... pictures, etc?

rcoos
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Being a "value" person myself, I'd pick the Camry out of the 3 you've listed. It'll cost less but can be optioned up to have most of the features of the other two.

But why not consider the Honda Accord also, the direct competitor to the Camry?
  • Took 97 Camry to dealer since I was hearing and feeling a clunk when I turned the steering wheel to the extreem ends of its travel when manuevering in parking lots at low speed. The clunk could be felt more than heard and it could be felt both through the steeirng wheel and through the floorboard near the gas pedal. Dealer says steering rack is not falling off and that something within the rack is wrong. They want to replace it at a cost of around $1,200. They dont seem to have any experience with this type of problem and I am not confident that they are right that it has to be replaced. Anybody out there with a similar problem or any opinions about this?

Thanks,

Peter
  • There is a bulletin out. I found it sitting in the body shop waiting for the answer to my noise. I just opened the nov 99 issue of Motor Age magazine.(pg 48)and there it was.the boyz couldn't believe it. Toyota will not fix it for free because a recall is only for safety purposes,not for annoying unimportant noises. So they posted a bulletin # su002-99. It's a design problem in the upper support.Costs about 450$ to repair.Now the bushing designed to eliminate noise does not work either. So can everyone complain to Toyota and get some help or what?
  • Hi all, I just sold and 1992 Camry that had 152,000 miles on it. And today I purchased a 1996 Camry LE V6 with Gold Package, Tire Chains and Cargo Net for $13,250. The car
    only has 32,000 miles on it and has all the Toyota Service
    records. Did I get a good deal? I think it was a steal myself with the low miles. High blue books is around $15,500. I prefer the 92-96 body style which is why I did not opt for a newer camry.
  • wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    Wait for the totally redesigned 2002 Camry or 2002 Lexus ES300. They should be here late this summer. If you don't need a car in a hurry, I think it's worth the wait.
  • pauleulpauleul Posts: 116
    Yes the 92 Camry came with a factory installed CD player. It was a Premium 3 in 1 ETR/CASS/CD w/6 speakers, equalizer and power antenna. Sticker price was $990. I just sold my 92 with only 32,000 miles on it for $9750. The buyer got a good deal. Car was still in mint condition and no I never had any problems at all including with the CD player.
    32000 miles on a 92?? didn't you go anyplace?? or did you use another car mostly? and yes, i did not know cars came with CD's back in 92-- gee, ain't it funny how time slips away
  • pauleulpauleul Posts: 116
    The 92 Camry went like this. Buy Camry.. Wife gets pregnant.. Becomes stay at home mom.. Shopping center less than 5 miles away.. need I say more? Yes we have had 3 Explorers during that time that were our main transportation and now have an Acura 3.2 TL. Still waiting to see what the new Camry is going to look like. Haven't been impressed with the last few years.
    my main curiosity of the 2002 camry is the price...will prices go up like the acura CL coupe did when it was redesigned, or will prices pretty much stay the same as the camry did when it changed in 1997???...one would think prices would stay the same since this is a family sedan designed for the masses, as opposed to a specialty type car, eh? so if the 2002 camry comes out with prices similar to the 97-01's (taking into account inflation), then that would be interesting.
    I thought the redesigned Camry was scheduled for 2003? Anyone know for sure?

I'm not impressed with the 97-current either so hopefully they will go back to a bit higher quality.

Dear Toyota: Please ditch the hood prop rod, offer heated mirrors/seats, take the V6 to 220hp, big center armrest like the one available in 92, better trunk lid design (see the VW Passat), how about auto/dual zone climate control, doors that don't creak when you open/close them, doors that stay open if car is parked on slight hill, and maybe stretch the vehicle 2 inches in every direction. Thank you, 3 time Camry owner (hopefully 4?).

I know most of the stuff is picky, but darnit if I could get all that in a Camry I wouldn't be out driving Passats & Maximas. Keep the base price where it is, but what's it hurt to have all the options the competition has?
    I thought the redesigned Camry was scheduled for 2003? Anyone know for sure?

I'm not impressed with the 97-current either so hopefully they will go back to a bit higher quality.

Dear Toyota: Please ditch the hood prop rod, offer heated mirrors/seats, take the V6 to 220hp, big center armrest like the one available in 92, better trunk lid design (see the VW Passat), how about auto/dual zone climate control, doors that don't creeeeek when you open/close them, doors that stay open if car is parked on slight hill, and maybe stretch the vehicle 2 inches in every direction. Thank you, 3 time Camry owner (hopefully 4?).

I know most of the stuff is picky, but darnit if I could get all that in a Camry I wouldn't be out driving Passats & Maximas. Keep the base price where it is, but what's it hurt to have all the options the competition has?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    While I don't have any pictures nor have I seen any, I do know that the 2002 will be a complete redesign. It will have the VVT-i engine in both the 4 and 6 cylinder models and will be out in August.

Oh, and they did away with the hood prop last year.
  • rooba10rooba10 Posts: 38
    I also prefer 92-96 Camry over 97-01 models. For some reason, I can't get over rear end style. the tail lights are too narrow. the front end is getting to look more and more like ES300, why don't they do something about rear end? I guess and hope they will do something with '02MY.

As far as your price goes, on 12/5/00, I bought a '96 XLE V-6 auto with leather/sunroof/alloys/CD/power seats. the car has 43K miles, and I paid $12,300. I bought it straight from a private owner.

The leather seats squeak too much, and nothing stay on them. the objects slide a lot. I wish it had cloth seats. I learnt my lesson. Leather seats are good to look at and not on your own car. I can't stand the first sign of cracking leather.

I love the engine sound when it is pushed a little. The V-6 feels like it runs better with 89-91 octane gas. the dealer said 87 octane should be used, the owner manual says " 89 octane is preffered"
    The V6 is a high compression engine that prefers the higher octane. I've always run 87 octane in my 97 V6 and can't tell a difference between that and the top shelf stuff. On my 92 V6, it has always run better with higher octane, gets better mpg too. I disagree with the dealer, you should use 89, but probably can get by with the 87. Running 87 retards the engine somewhat.
  • If it turns out like this:

http://mag-x.com/scoop/camry0101/index.html

I am new to this topic. I was wondering what the ES 300 will look like.