Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Honda V6 trannys had a clunk and they ended up having to extend the warranty on over 1 million V6 Accords, TL/CL, and Ody. If noone complained it wouldn't have gotten fixed. I'm sure right after that news story broke Toyota salespeople were all over it if someone came in cross-shopping the Accord and Camry. Now that it's their car they get the "deer caught in the headlights look".
  • andrelaplume -- Thanks for the idea on the ABS self-check. I've had cars with ABS and have experienced nothing like this before, but you could be right. I'll ask my service manager.

tomgreen1000 -- I'm getting the clunk at dead rest, with my foot on the brake, moving the shift lever into "Drive," so I don't really have a chance to let the car move forward a few feet--by then the clunk has already happened. You may have a different situation, but I appreciate the thought.

xbbuster -- Thanks for the referral to 4623-4626. Actually, I had already gone back and looked at those before my first post on this subject. They seemed to be inconclusive to me, so I don't know.

alpha01 -- Your remarks (post 4876)are laced with so much sarcastic and insulting language that I would ask that you not respond to any of my posts in the future. I think Edmunds should read that post and censure you for your completely inappropriate tone. Among the worst is your comment, "If you regret buying your Camry so much, get rid of it." I've said several times that I like the car a lot. I'm only trying to get some information on something the car is doing that doesn't sound right to me. Before that, you accused me of "bitching and moaning." You're just way out of line. My posts have been factual and accommodating to anyone who might want to discuss my thoughts on the car. So please leave me alone.
  • My 2003 V6 do not have the clunk. Please keep us posted as what the manufacturer has to say. Hope your problem will be solved.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Actually, I never specifically referred to you. I'm glad you like your car- and your issue is certainly valid. Personally I'd prefer that this forum, even if it had less traffic- be biased toward news and reviews. I feel that issues such as yours are better addressed in, for example, owners forums. That said, why not get your car checked out by an independent mech? If you are concerned by what the dealer is telling you (ie.."its normal"), you may be able to get an unbiased opinion.

With regard to my last post, I dont see how it was overly sarcastic- I was just pointing to the fact that many classify their issues with their vehicles as "problems" when often, they are merely "annoyances".

Sorry man (or woman). Didnt mean to offend you.

~alpha
  • How did your rattle arbitration go?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,443
    There is also a maintenance and repair forum that is very helpfull.
  • I don't post often, but I am an avid reader of several TH forums. In the past, I have generally found them to be informative and interesting avenues for various automotive discussions. I've learned a lot and generally enjoyed the "conversations."

However, over the past few months, I've noticed a change in the tone and atmosphere here and it's pretty negative. I've seen a lot of rather hostile exchanges on other boards, esp the Mazda6, and Accord topics. I had pretty much figured that the rather heated discussions stemmed from the fact that both of these cars are new for 2003 (or newly revised rather).

The Camry forum has traditionally been a less volatile and more polite forum, albeit less traveled, IMHO. Now some of the aforementioned unpleasantness appears to have "leaked in" in here. It's not as bad, but I am finding these recent trends sad and disappointing and I felt like expressing them. These are my opinions only, but I think they have validity. These days one is almost afraid to post their opinions on the TH for fear of being set up in raging flames if their views are unpopular. If so, then so be it.

On topic, I am enjoying my 2000 Camry as much as I did the first day I drove it off the lot 3 years ago on Dec. 13th. I have had 34,000 trouble free miles on it and it still looks showroom new. Although I had considered trading it for something "flashier", I think I will stick with it for a few more years. People in general (at least here on Edmunds) like to criticize the Camry for various reasons, but I think it's a great car, smooth and reliable. It was a smart purchase for me and I intend to enjoy it a while longer. Down the road, I may trade it for a Toyota Highlander. I'm not an "SUV person" but I really like the Highlander. I guess I'm just a Toyota fan after all. :-)
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    this before, but I'll repeat it again. As an owner (4 Toyotas) and now seller (7 years) of Toyotas we have become accustomed to expect nothing but perfection from this make. If something happens to our beloved Toyota whether real or imagined we go up in arms! I went through this back in 1991 with our 92 Camry. Having already owned an 81 Celica and then an 85 Van Le, both were trouble free, trim and mechanical wise. The 92 Camry had some minor "problems" the first month we owned it. The glove box kept popping open while driving, the gas cap holder on the gas door broke the first time I used it, and the engine mount bushings squeaked like a puppy that gets its tail stepped on. Boy were we pissed! How could this happen! This is a TOYOTA! A couple of trips to the dealer and these problems were fixed. The car served us well until last August when my wife was rear ended by a wreckless driver and totalled our beloved friend. Wife still going to physical therapy and recuperating well from her injuries. She loved the car so much that asked for another one of the same vintage. Lucky for us I work at a Toyota dealer and no more than a week after the accident a 93 with half the miles our 92 had was traded in. I was able to purchase it for my wife after talking to the GM of the store as that car was a prime retail unit. I hope this will help us all put things in perspective. Happy Holidays to all at Edmunds' and all my fellow Town Hall members!
    : )
    Mackabee
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Oh mackabee!! I'm so glad your wife is okay (and I'm also very glad that you and she are on the same page again, at least I hope so...)

Happy Holidays to you and your family as well.
    We are on the same page again. Things are working out for the better. Happy Holidays!
    : )
    Mackabee
  • is there cash back incentive on camrys? or just low apr ?
  • Is this a bad or good price, please help

03 camry LE w/
    pwr seat/floor mats/auto

MSRP Price: $20,809
    Invoice Price : $18,804

Dealer offered @ 18,800
    the recent postings are great- happy holidays to all.

superman- good price. but why not get the ABS? the system retails at just 300. I think its worth it.

~alpha
  • Find one with ABS, although that is a very good price you were quoted.
  • I just bought my 2003 LE auto/4cyl with ABS for $18,595 that also includes undercoating/rustproofing. Came out $20,047 after taxes, title/document fee. This is a Chicagoland price.
  • xbbusterxbbuster Posts: 145
    Has anything been done to correct the problem with the V6 transmission "clunk"? Mine seems to get worse when the temperature is colder. I live in NW Indiana. It's not only the clunk sound, but you can feel the jerk in the car when it's shifted into drive. Taking it to the dealer was a waste of time. I called Toyota's 800 number and I'm now waiting for a call from their regional office.
    Seriously, try an independent shop to get an opinion/diagnosis. Then present that to the dealer. If they the dealer refuses to help, raise all the hell that you can. Good luck.
    ~alpha
    What year is your Camry? V6 OR 4cyl?
    :)
    Mackabee
  • vs4vs4 Posts: 70
    Is it true that Toyota is going to introduce the vvt-i V6 3.0 in Camry coming January next year?

Basically I have read on Car and Driver forums that it will be same engine as the current one in Lexus ES300.

Thanks for the verification
  • ...to post (4881) from alpha01 (I've been away for the holidays): You said, "Actually, I never specifically referred to you." Actually, it wasn't necessary to mention me specifically since your point of departure was the recent post about a "clunk" (from me). Thus, your rant that followed, about people, as you said, who "[non-permissible content removed] and moan" and who should "Just freakin be happy!" was directed at me and others who want to see if there is a solution to the "clunk." You weren't discussing my topic, you were discussing my attitude. That's what I was objecting to.

I appreciate your apology, because I think it was called for. I, too, apologize if I was too strong in my reply. Best wishes for happy holidays!

xxbuster -- I'm going to mention this "clunk" when I take my car in for its first service, in a few months. I'll let you know if I find out anything. So far, I was just asking if anyone else on this thread had any ideas about it. I feel the kind of jerk in the car you are talking about too.
  • Two questions (I have a 2003 V-6 XLE):

My owner's manual suggests 91 (or higher) octane gas for "improved vehicle performance," even though it says 87 octane is acceptable. Is there a consensus that 91 or higher is the best way to go? Is it only to get better performance, or will it help the engine last longer?

On oil changes -- between my salesperson, the dealership, the owner's manual, and the maintenance guide, I'm seeing four possiblities for oil-change intervals -- 3,000, 3,500, 5,000, or 7,500, i.e.:

1. A flyer from the dealer has a boldface warning that says, "Performing oil change services every 3,000 miles will eliminate a condition know as 'oil gelling' or 'oil sludge.' These conditions cause severe engine damage and are not covered under the manufacturer's warranty."

2. My salesperson recommended 3,500 miles.

3. The owner's manual says 7,500 miles for what I think are my driving conditions.

4. If I'm wrong about the "repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below freezing" condition, then it would drop back to 5,000 miles, says the maintenance guide.

Anyone have a recommendation? BTW -- I read the lengthy posts last summer about the oil gell situation.

At this point, I'm inclined to buy 91 or higher octane gas and change the oil every 3,000 miles. But if anyone has a rationale for this much cost and frequent service being unnecessary, I would love to hear what you have decided on, and why.

Thanks.
    Our dealership recommends servicing at a 3750 mile interval which is BS, IMO. You should follow your maintenance guide, which provides guidelines that outline when a 5000 mile interval can be used and when a 7500 mile interval can be used. Because I, personally, am rather risk averse, we follow the 5000 mile interval changes for our 2K2 Camry, which is about to break the 20,000 mile mark in just 13 months.

~alpha
  • xbbusterxbbuster Posts: 145
    My Camry is an '02 LE V6 with a build date of July '02. As far as oil changes, I've always changed oil in my cars myself. I'm retired and have the time, especially after watching the kid at the Toyota dealer do an oil change on a customer's car in less than ten minutes. The oil was still draining when he put the plug back in.
    Five quarts of Valvoline and a Toyota filter cost less than $13. And I change oil between 2500 and 3000 miles. I've tried premium gas on a trip and regular on the way back and didn't notice any difference in performance or MPG. Except for the "clunk" in the morning and the outside thermometer taking twenty minutes to give an accurate reading, the car is fine.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    First, any dealership that sends out a flier like austinman received should be shot. In fact, if Toyota got wind of that, they would probably pay a visit to the numbskull that wrote it.

Second, I am conservative when discussing oil changes. I don't believe technology exempts us from 3000 mile oil changes. In fact, I think it is even more necessary than before due to higher compression engines and crummy fuel that we are forced to use. I don't care what the manual says, you will extend engine life by changing every 3000 miles. If you want to follow the manual, follow the 5000 mile interval program even if you don't think you fall into the "severe" driving category.
  • A couple of things to add to cliffy's post. First, the writer of that flyer should be shot. The vehicles that were involved with the controversy (lots of arguments about truth or not), have nothing to do with the 2002 and 2003 models.

I, too, am conservative about oil changes. $15 - $20 for an oil change is VERY inexpensive insurance for your car. It will not EVER hurt your vehicle to change the oil more frequently, but CAN adversely affect it if not done frequently enough. Honestly, I have mine done between 3,000 and 5,000 miles. The way that I decide is I look at the oil on my dipstick at 3,000 miles and if it has ANY discoloration or if it is running a bit lower than I like, I have it done then. If it is still clear and near full, then I wait until 5,000 miles.

Using the 7,500 mile interval just doesn't make alot of sense in terms of just the cost versus the risks. Also, part of what the determining facors are are cold, and/or dusty or construction type environments. At least here, it's either Winter or Construction time, so going with anything longer than 5,000 does not make any sense even if you're following the manufacturer's specs.

Just my $.02

Ken
  • I drove around in my V6 XLE using regular unleaded gas (87 octane) until I noticed a slight pinging noise as I was climbing or accelerating hard. I spoke to the service people at my dealership and they told me to change my gas to premium. I have since been using 89 octane fuel (mid grade) and have noticed the pinging has disappeared. I haven't noticed a MPG change, just a change in the sound of my engine when it needs to work harder. As for oil changes, I drive alot on the freeway and I have been changing the oil around 4000 miles.
  • I got my 2002 Camry in Sept. It is a 4 cylinder SE, automatic with 16" wheels and it has abs. It has performed terribly the last few days on the snow and ice here in Mich. I was unable to get it up a small hill that a 6yr. old accord handled with ease. Does anyone else have similar problems? Any reccomendations? New tires? The car and tires only have 4500 miles.
  • You may want to look at the posts in the "winter and adverse driving" board. The tires on the Camry that come stock are all-season tires. Most "all season" tires are actually 3-season tires meaning they give adequate traction on dry pavement, wet pavement and some snow. The trouble with all-season tires is that they are harder compound and don't have the amount of traction available to snow-specific tires. For the best possible traction for snowy areas, you should use snow-specific tires in the winter and go back to your all-seasons for the other times of year.
  • steveb84steveb84 Posts: 187
    In the Chicago region, for part of the 02 model year, SE's were coming with High-Performance tires that are awful on snow and ice. I'm not sure if the Cincinnati Region had the same situation. You may want to check your window sticker to see which wheel and tire package you have, or stop back at the dealership and talk with them about it.
  • sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    SET has cash back AND the special APR on the 2003 Camry LE (model 2532) through January 2nd. Is the rest of the nation doing the same?