Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• andy71andy71 Posts: 96
    Given that there are more than a million of these "affected" cars on the road and the number of incident that has been documented is only about 30 or so leads one to believe that the problem probably resides with the driver and not the manufacturer.
  • Hi everyone,

I am interested in buying a 5-spd manual SE 4cyl. sedan sometime in the next few months. I have heard that all manual transmission Camrys are made in Japan. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!
    Check the (VIN) number etched on the lower left of the winsheild. If the number starts with a "4" or an "A" it is made in the good ole' USA. If it starts with a "J" it is made in the land of the rising sun.
  • rattles in the Camry...or do they not rate this aspect of the car? If you ask me the car has fallen a few notches in build quality.
  • I know how the VINs work, but I was just wondering if anyone can confirm what I read. It would be interesting indeed if Toyota manufactures all manual Camrys in Japan.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I've pressed the gas instead of the brake when in reverse. I nearly backed into a lightpole as the result. Whoops! Watch your feet people!
  • Hi everyone,

As I said in a post above, I am interested in a manual transmission Camry SE sedan. Living in South Carolina, I'm sure just locating a manual would be difficult at best; even if I do I'm sure the color/options combo won't be what I'm looking for.

In fact, I'm pretty sure nothing short of a direct factory order could get me the exact car I want. So the question is: Does Toyota allow its dealers to place orders direct to the factory or are we consumers relegated to hoping and praying and having the dealer simply search inventory and pre-determined allocations?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Hey Cool, how's the Corolla? I miss the excellent gas mileage of mine, my Sentra isn't as good as my old '96 DX. But I must admit, the Sentra drives and brakes much better than the DX. I guess the 15" wheels also help improve the ride.
    Hope all is well otherwise.

The Sandman :-)
    Have you tried Autobytel, msncarpoint or other websites? I bought mine online. My Toyota dealer has a website where you can order any trim levels you want. I bought a 2004 SE V6 mine was built in Japan. I am sure if you have your heart set on a SE 5 speed manual, there are ways you can buy it.
  • Thanks, andy71. I sent my dealer an email and I'll see what they say. Thanks again for recommending those sites.
  • not many SE 5M around, mine is se 4cyl stick, vin# begins with JT, from what i've seen, all SE stick shift are from japan, and there are some small percentage of none SE stick, auto or stick, i4 or v6 that also come to US by boat.
  • jeff1jeff1 Posts: 11
    Hi, I saw someone metioned camry made in [non-permissible content removed] or US? Do you think camry made in Japan has better quality? If so, is there any XLE 4cyl made in Japna on US market?

Thanks!
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I've only seen SE model with J Vin.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    It's still kicking--I hit 77,000 miles the other day...haha. I guess it will be kicking for a LOT longer. But, I'll probably sell it at the end of spring before I leave for a college that's too urbanized for me to have it. (The drive home is 5 hours...I'd be better off flying between Cincinnati and Cleveland on cheap regional carrier airfares anyway.) But anyway...I actually have two people who are interested in it--and that's without even mentioning I want to sell it! Great car!
  • drmpdrmp Posts: 187
    I was interested on a c230 sport sedan until I test drove the SE v6. For the money, I get a fully loaded SE V6 with NAV vs a more expensive base c230 sport sedan. The V6 in the SE is so strong, smooth, and silent. What do you think?
    There is no comparison. 189 Hp vs 225 Hp. 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder. One costs about 23 to 26 G's and the other in the high 20's to low 30G's. Why would anyone even consider the C230?
  • drmpdrmp Posts: 187
    Everytime I see one, I get excited since the size is just right fo me but I have suspicion on the reliability and longivity of a supercharged engine.
  • ednovakednovak Posts: 55
    I took delivery of a "custom ordered" 2004 Corolla for my daughter a couple of months ago. She wanted the hot "S" model with all of the glitzy pieces and I wanted ABS and side air bags. Toyota doesn't normally put the safety components on the kids "S" version of the Corolla but had one built for me to my specs in under a month. I plan on doing the same thing with a Camry XLE this year.
    Ed
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    How do intend to equip your XLE? Also, be aware that there will be moderate upgrades to the entire Camry line for 2005, and rumor has it that these include available stability control for 4 cylinder models. Since you seem to interested safety, I thought you might be interested. Stability control is a confirmed option for the Corolla/Vibe/Matrix next year as well.

~alpha
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    Any rumors about standard ABS for 2005?
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    can you order a XLE V6 without leather ?
  • morehpmorehp Posts: 30
    Yes you can. Check out the Toyota website.
  • nw1997nw1997 Posts: 227
    Ednovak,

Toyota does not "custom order" vehicles for anyone. They "Prefence" vehicles. It depends on the district manager in your area and what is in demand. If a vehicle is not built a certain way for the US market, there is no way you can "special order" a vehicle to meet your specs. Packages, already offered by the dealership, on the other hand can be put together and built at the factory so that the dealer doesn't have to strip your car down to install the accessories or packages. If vehicles were built to everyone's spec's it would cost the consumer a phenomenal amount of $$$. It's like ordering a Corolla with a V6, which will not happen at this time.
  • 2003sev62003sev6 Posts: 44
    Just to answer some questions for you. About a month ago I test drove a black manual SE Camry that was built in the U.S. It felt much more powerful than the hp rating would suggest. The best thing to do if you want one to come from a certain plant is to request it from the dealership and see if they can accommodate you. I would think that the majority of the Camry's sold in the U.S. are built in the U.S. At one point, all V6 Camry's sold in Canada were built in Japan due to market demand but even that has changed for now.
  • homerkchomerkc Posts: 113
    I am interested in a 4 cyl. XLE and wonder about the gas mileage. What are owners seeing from the 4 cyl. auto?
  • hank2hank2 Posts: 75
    I agree that "preferencing" a car is not out of the question, but....

I have ordered a 2004 Camry SE 4 cyl with ABS, which is not offered in Texas.

1. Tell the dealer that you want to preference and give your specs.

2. Be confident and factual, because I've had FOUR salesmen try to talk me into a car off the lot ! Be sure of what you want, and don't answer questions about why, unless you want additional hassle.

3. SE to LE price comparisons especially with options are NOT linear. My preference will cost me ~20K, even tho' I might get an LE for $16 ... according to ads, if you believe what you read in the paper...

4. I like the idea of a fresh new car, but I suggest that you check it very carefully. They asked me for a $500 deposit. Then I signed some hokie paper that said I couldn't back out. I don't see a reason to sign away rights, if you gave them money. If it is a Camry, they should be able to sell it.

5. Where in S.C. ? Altho' I'm in TX, I am from Chas. ?

Hank2
  • hank2hank2 Posts: 75
    I know you specifically asked about the XLE, but these data points may help.

The 4 cyl has about 157 hp on the LE or SE and gets about 30 MPH. That is one reason I am happy with getting a 4 cyl rather than a 6 cyl. I don't need the extra power, or the reduced mileage.

Also, I have a 1989 4 cyl with about 120 HP and 30 MPH ... I like the improvements

Hank2
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Just to clarify, I believe you mean "MPG" instead of "MPH".

You're a decent historian as well. Most people dont know what kind of HP older cars produce- the 1989 Camry 2.0L produced 115, not far off your number.

~alpha
  • larryt22larryt22 Posts: 125
    Yesterday I took delivery of a new Camry and a new Highlander. I have never owned a Toyota product before. I have to thank everyone who has posted to the Highlander and Camry message boards over the past 6 months as your comments heavily influenced my decision to buy Toyotas. I hope that I will have the great experiences that most of you have had and will have the same passion for the products after I have had them awhile.