Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• mi_satmi_sat Posts: 42
    Good points.

I am a little concerned about the current Camry. I test drove the XLE V6 the other day, and I noticed a short "lag" when I stepped on the accelerator before it actually accelerated. The other issue was that the steering was so light, that I could barely feel the road. (Reminded me of those kids' toys with a steering wheel that spins around and around with no resistance.)

Was hoping the new Camry would address the issue. Else, I'll be stepping into an Accord, which I test drove and liked as well.

The Camry has more standard features that I really like, but the Accord drove better in my opinion.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I have seen nothing to support the contention that the new Camry will come out in spring 2006. My guess is that it will come out in the fall of 2006 instead.

It probably won't be revamped as much as the 2002 model, just as the 1997 model used the same basic platform as the 1992 model. This was very obvious from looking at the underbodies of the 1992 cars vs. the 1997 models.

However, if you're interested in the V6 model, it might be worth waiting for the new 3.5-liter V6. If you're going with the 4-cylinder, you may not want to wait, unless styling differences are important to you.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Toyota.spy?artid=37606

This bodes well for the next-generation Camry, however, as it is slated to be built on a variation of the new Avalon's chassis architecture, and from what I've been told, feature a version of the powerful new 3.5-litre V6 in its top trim level.

Read the bottom part of page 4 of this Avalon review.
  • mi_satmi_sat Posts: 42
    Thanks for the info.

If a vehicle were to debut in Spring 2006, when would a manufacturer begin to show it (e.g. at an auto show, etc.)?

We're 12 months away from Spring 2006 and I've only "heard" what you've posted above.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I believe the speculation regarding the arrival of the next generation Camry surrounds the launch of the 2007 Lexus ES350, which many Lexus dealer management teams have been told will be out in mid Spring 2006. Given that the two share platforms, it would make sense for a new Camry to debut around that time.

While it is true that the 2007 redesign will be more along the lines of the 1997 makeover, I suspect more substantial changes will be made for the 2007 vehicle vs. the 2002-2006 than were made for the 1997 Camry vs. 1992-1996. The marketplace is much more competitive this time around, and Toyota needs to recognize that said competition is providing more car. I expect the 4 cylinder will feature the enhanced VVT system that includes variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust sides, which would reap benefits in power and efficiency. Toyota has moved its new V6 family to this technology (the Avalon's 3.5L, the GS300's 3.0L, etc) already. In my opinion, Toyota needs to get the 4 cylinder model in the range of 170-180hp (with static or better fuel economy) to remain competitive for the next 5 years.

The V6 (3.0L, 210 hp unit) of the current car will be joining the old 2.2L in the anals of Camry engine history. That said, it remains to be seen whether the new V6 family will show up in the 3.0L or 3.5L sizing, because at this point, its all speculation. Me personally, I'd like to see the LE and XLE V6s use the 245 hp 3.0L V6 and the SE trim use the Avalon's 280hp 3.5L. But that might be a bit complex for TMMK.

I would also expect a significantly upgraded interior design (re: center stack), as well as the addition of side curtain airbags as standard (if this doesnt happen for the 2006 model year). Given the Camry's current size, I dont think we will see much of an increase, especially now that the Avalon is in a great position as Toyota's clearly defined and luxurious flagship.

Should be interesting.

~alpha
    Toyota has never shown a Next-Gen Camry or Corolla at an Auto Show, though this doesnt necessarily mean it can't happen.

~alpha
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Even if it were true that the 2007 ES comes out in spring of 2006, that does not mean the Camry would debut at "about the same time."

Lexus might want the ES350 to have several months of exclusivity to help differentiate it from the Camry.
    You're right, Lexus may want that. Or, since the Camry is the nations best selling vehicle and Toyota isnt very likely to willingly relinquish this crown, the two may also be introduced around the same time, just as its been for the last three generations.

~alpha
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2006fvf/index22.html

http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2007fvf/index11.html

This is what I found in MotorTrend's "Future Vehicle Forecast" . Looks like the only change for MY 06 is the addition of a hybrid Camry. For 07, as expected, a complete redesign. That is when the 3.5L V6 will most likely be available. I am also guessing that the 4 cylinder model might also get a modest 10 to 15 Hp boost to keep up with the competition. Doesn't mention anything about a Spring 2006 release, although it is possible. Toyota generally is very tight lipped about upcoming products
  • cam2003cam2003 Posts: 131
    I would think all V6 models will get 3.3L (not 3.5L). Since if Toyota moves to 3.5L engine, what happens to over-stock of 3.3L ?
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    "I would think all V6 models will get 3.3L (not 3.5L). Since if Toyota moves to 3.5L engine, what happens to over-stock of 3.3L?"

I think this makes more sense. I think Toyota will limit 3.5L use to the Avalon/Lexus to differentiate them from the Camry.
    I'm not sure I understand why there would be an overstock of 3.3Ls. The 3.3L is related to the 3.0L that debuted in the 1992 Camry, and is therefore a much older design (even though the 3.3L iteration is fairly new). The new engine family that the Avalon's belongs to (2.5L, 3.0L, 3.5L, and 4.0L) requires different tooling than the engines currently being used by the Camry and ES, for example, if my understanding is correct. Much how Nissan uses the VQ series to power its vehicles, I believe there will be an eventual phase out of the older 3.3Ls toward this new engine family.

Of course, I may be wrong. But given the added efficiency and power of the new family of engines, I see no competitive reason that Toyota will continue using the 3.3L and new engines concurrently for any substantial length of time. For all intents and purposes, the 3.3L was a stop-gap measure, from what I've read.

~alpha
    If we see the 3.5L in the Camry, my guess is that it will be detuned from the 280hp version in the Avalon. That would be consistent with the Nissan philosophy of putting higher hp in the higher cost models.
    On Monday, my wife and I toured the Camry/Avalon factory in Georgetown, KY. I've been in many assembly plants (though none in the last 10 years) and I was very impressed with the size and organization. The tour is extremely well done (we were on a motorized tram in the plant for 45 min with a live person narrating what was going on around us.)

A few stats: 7.5 million sq feet under roof (that's 170 acres), 7500 Toyota employees plus 2500 contract employees (cleaning & cafeteria staff, etc.) 2000 cars a day from two assembly lines running 2 shifts. They have their own stamping and plastic molding plants as well as an engine plant. A car rolls off the line every 55 seconds but it takes 26 hours to build one, 10 of those hours are the painting process.

Highly recommended if you are ever in the area. Make reservations in advance. Tours are 10, 12, & 2 M-F plus a 6 pm tour on Thursday. About 1 hr 10 min total duration.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,069
    How do I arrange a tour?
    The Visitor Center lobby and exhibits are open Monday through Friday. Tours are available Monday through Friday. All tours must be scheduled in advance. For reservations call the Toyota Tour Line at 502-868-3027 or 1-800-TMM-4485. Admission is free.

http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/tour.asp
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Posts: 87
    My Speculation? Camry LE V6/XLE V6 gets 3.3L V6 while SE V6 gets the "freakin" fast 3.5L V6. Or you get the 3.5L for both XLE & SE V6s.

I still think that it's going to be a 2007 debut. However, they could do it as a 2007 model like they did with the Sienna and introduce it early.

One day the 3.3L will be out phased and I'll own two phased-out engines. (2.2L Camry & 3.3L Sienna)

BTW, anybody know if the RX330 will become RX350? ;)
    I respect your opinion, but I dont see how/why Toyota would maintain two different engine families and the associated production costs. Its certainly possible, and if it happens, I wont exactly understand the rationale if its not explicitly stated.

The new Camry will be a 2007 model, no doubt. And from what we know, it will either be in the Spring of 2006, or in the Fall of 2006 as in generations past.

How do you like your Sienna? A good deal more spirited than the 2.2L Camry, eh?

Yes, the RX330 will become the RX350, Toyota has already patented/trademarked that name (as they have done with ES350).

~alpha
  • Is the 05 Camry wider than the 04? I parked my 04 next to an 05 and I think the 05 is wider. Just curious.
  • autoguy1autoguy1 Posts: 87
    I only speculated that this since the current has 2 choice of V6s and I thought that they only moved up. Oh well.

The Sienna is much faster and peppier compared to my 1995 Camry LE i4. It's a 105 HP difference and like around 100 more lb-ft torque. However, chances that it's going to be replaced with the 3.5L V6, right?

But don't fret. I have been VERY interested with the RX and with the RX350 coming up. I'll be getting that with no doubt. 3.3L and a 3.5L ain't bad. And the 3.3L is still very peppy and the hesitation issue is very minor for me.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Their widths are identical.
  • ian721ian721 Posts: 93
    I never toured a Toyota plant, but I did once get a tour of a Ford plant in NJ. Highly recommended if you're in the vicinity. It's truly amazing.
  • midusamidusa Posts: 3
    We just took our 2002 Camry LE to the dealers to have a slight squeal in the steering checked out. The car has 23000 miles on it and an extended warranty for 5 years. The car is 20 days out of the regular warranty but not to worry- there is that extended warranty that cost an arm and a leg. The serviceman just called and said the airbag clockspring has to be replaced. $361.00 and No it is not covered by the extended warranty. :cry: So much for extended warranties!! Anyone else have this problem?
  • 1) Get another opinion from another dealer. Are you aware that the 02 Camry's are afflicted with the squeeling steering wheel. Mine has done this twice, both times in the cold. It occurs when you turn the wheel. It sounds like a squeeling or rubbing noise. The first instance was when the car was about 3 months old. At my oil change I mentioned it and the dealer knew about the problem. They lubed something in ths steering shaft. The second time was this past winter. I again mentioned it at an oil change and they again lubed it. I mentioned that if it happens again I have no intention of paying for the lube---once out of warranty. They said there was a new 'tool' that allows them to get the lube higher up the shaft and it should not be a problem again. Are they blwoing smoke up my...who knows but it appears to be a common problem. If this sounds like your issue mention it to the dealer or better yet get to another Toyota dealer. For all you know they are making you replace a part that has nothing wrong with it.

2) Extended Warranty. You say it cost an arm and a leg and does not cover the part. Did you get a genuine Toyota Platinum Plus warranty? The warranty covers just about everything except for normal maint. items. I am not aware that a clock spring is a normal maint item...perhaps others can comment. I do know 3rd part warranties or lesser Toyota warranties do not cover as much as the Platinum Plus. As far as costing an arm and a leg, I paid $675 for my 7/75K platinum-plus warranty with $0 deductible. Sure they wanted to sell it to me for $1400. I declined, waited a few weeks, researched costs here at Edmunds, determined I could actually buy the warranty at any dealer in the country, found a dealer here that would sell me one for $675 and then offered my dealer that deal. I pointed out up front I got the offer via email from another dealer over the net. I also pointed out that was exactly how they landed my sale - best price over the net. They took the $675. On a $19K car I did not think that too unreasonable. Some have argued you could drop AAA and save $$$ each year since the warranty covers breakdowns.

Check your warranty, check with the dealer, get another opinion. There is no way you sould be out $300+ on a newer Camry. If such happens to me then its back to domestics for me---where I pay less up front! I bet it just needs some lube though.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi midusa, what a bummer - andrelaplume has some great suggestions for you. You may also want to check into our Extended Warranties discussion.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Does the new 5-speed automatic on the 4 cylinder 2005 Camrys have the same "slow-to-downshift" problem and acceleration hesitation problems where you floor the gas pedal and then wait 2 seconds before the car reacts with an increase in speed as the V6/automatic that is often complained about?
  • moeharrimoeharri Posts: 108
    I have a 2005 XLE 4 cylinder and it does have the hesitation problem. I believe this is due to the drive-by-wire system rather than the transmission. It's mildly annoying to me, as I don't ever floor it anyway. If the need to floor it arises, I'm confident the car will be fine--it's not a 2 second delay for me, more like 1 second or so, hard to say w/o timing it.
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    Yes... it tends to up shift quickly and down shift slowly
    IMO, it is more of a drive by wire issue than a transmission issue (so I agree with the above statement). It isnt a Camry, but our 05 Legacy with a 4 speed auto and drive by wire has a observable hesitation when downshifting. Neither of the two 05 Camrys (that I've driven) felt as pronounced as what I've experienced in our Legacy, and even the Legacy's performance is not something that I am concerned about. I actually dont feel the Camry upshifts early, especially under 3/4 throttle...and the downshifts arent as slow (as some people seem dramatize).

~alpha
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    For more info, refer to these articles if you haven't seen them yet.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05036/453222.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04345/424551.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04343/423383.stm

There is a board here at Edmunds dedicated to hesitation (inappropriately titled "Engine Hesitation" but site is almost 100% discussion of hesitation/lag upon acceleration in Toyota/Lexus line), so if you wish to discuss with others, you can go to http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef4cdbd/570