Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• chevymalibuchevymalibu Posts: 129
    FYI

compared it to the Sonata 2006 GL/GLS. They really didn't drop the price on the sonata (300-400) from MSRP of 19500 or 20000 GL/GLS models. The camry was driven and we thought it was a very good car. The brakes weren't that bad and the AC was better on this car. The tach was 2200 RPM at 70MPH. It had a MSRP of 20,865 and we got it for 4000 off of that plus the taxes (300 in SC) and fees/title etc.. of 480. I think I got a great deal. I know Edmunds doesn't want to say the name of the salesman but he did one hell of a job and didn't mess around. He came back with the best price and really wanted to sell a car (didn't get that impression from the hyundai dealer in terms of pricing). This dealer is the highest volume dealer in SC if that helps. Good luck to all camry owners!!!! Thanks for the info and discussion.
  • cadmancadman Posts: 1
    Hi
    The radiator of my 1990 Camry 2 Litre GLI is leaking at the top below the header chamber. Replacement is costly so have decided to try RADWELD to keep the old bus going. I need to know the cooling water capacity as there are different size bottles of product specified.

Any replies will be much appreciated

Cadman
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Offhand, I don't know, since I have newer Camrys. But the capacity is specified in the owner's manual, if you have one.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 356
    I had the radiator crack at the top in a '95 Camry a couple of years ago...apparently it's an inherent weakness in the design and happens frequently.

I found a replacement radiator on line for about $125.00 shipped. You may want to check that out, since overheating that engine will essentially total that car.
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Capacity is 7 quarts for 1990 2.0l.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Can someone help me understand why all Camry engines for 2006 have been re-rated at substantially lower power and torque figures.

4 cylinder models:
    2005: 160 horses and 163 foot pounds
    2006: 154 horses and 160 foot pounds

3.0L V6 in LE/XLE
    2005: 210 horses and 220 foot pounds
    2006: 190 horses and 197 foot pounds

3.3L V6 in SE
    2005: 225 horses and 240 foot pounds
    2006: 210 horses and 220 foot pounds

What gives? I recall reading something about the SAE recalculating output, but cant find anything now, and if this was the case, why hasnt this affected models of other manufacturers?

~alpha
    Can someone help me understand why all Camry engines for 2006 have been re-rated at substantially lower power and torque figures.

4 cylinder models:
    2005: 160 horses and 163 foot pounds
    2006: 154 horses and 160 foot pounds

3.0L V6 in LE/XLE
    2005: 210 horses and 220 foot pounds
    2006: 190 horses and 197 foot pounds

3.3L V6 in SE
    2005: 225 horses and 240 foot pounds
    2006: 210 horses and 220 foot pounds

What gives? I recall reading something about the SAE recalculating output, but cant find anything now, and if this was the case, why hasnt this affected models of other manufacturers? If theres an article ANYWHERE- mags, web, etc, please let me know so I can read it.

Thanks in advance!

~alpha
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    Alpha: I was just reading in Motor Trend that some auto manufacturers are using a new SAE rating formula..no real differnce, just a more accurate rating....I'll provide more info when I find the mag at home later. They did the same thing in the past (1970s?)

Edit...OK. I called home..page 42 Aug 2005 Motor Trend
    Thanks jbollt!

I havent read the article, but I do hope that all manufacturers will soon use the updated, more accurate calculations, or else that could lead to some very confusing comparisons between competitors.

Thanks again

alpha
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    I wonder if this (new SAE rating formula) isn't just a way to temper the horsepower race that's going on. Many non-technical people associate higher hp with lower mileage and assume that if an engine is producing more hp, it is also consuming more gas. It's just fodder for the critics of the auto industry to harp about the irresponsible manufacturers producing more gas guzzlers.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    Just once I'd like to get a definitive non-biased answer. I have an 02 Camry w/30K miles still on all its original set of brakes. I have been carefull to insure the pads do not get worn down too low. I am actually amazed they have lasted this long. I am due for a tire rotaion and assuming the are anywhere near needing to be replaced I wish to do so. I am fearfull if I wait to long I will need expensive new rotors - though the dealer keeps saying brakes are not needed yet!

My question is:

1) When they do a brake job do they always cut the rotors. I am told this adds $12 to the price of the brake job.

2) Do Camry's typically need new rototr on their 1st brake job irregardless of how low you let the pads get?

I want to get the job done but was a little suspicious of remarks I heard about Camry's and Toyotas needing new rotors and dealers replacing them even when not warranted.

Educate me!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    It sounds as if your dealer is doing a pretty good job by you if they're telling you that you don't need them yet. Pads are pretty inexpensive, so it may be worth it to just have them done. Rotors don't usually have to be replaced with the first set of pads, but the sometimes do. It depends on many factors, the most common of which is if they're pitted or rusted. If this is the case, often they can't be ground down. Also, when they're ground, they usually take a good portion of the disk off during the process so it will shorten the life of the rotor. So if they say the pads look ok (not too worn or cracked) then I would let them go until they get to the point that they recommend that you change them.

Hope this helps.

Ken
    ...the original front brake pads on my '97 Camry lasted till 109K miles. And I didn't have to replace or resurface the rotors. YMMV.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Some mechanics recommend turning the rotors when replacing the pads though it's not a requirement. I wouldn't expect pads to need replacement at only 30K miles unless you really use the brakes hard and do mostly stop & go driving. The pads probably have wear sensors on them that give an audible warning when they need replacing. Whether the rotors can be turned or need replacing is the mechanics call based on their condition.
  • meteore01meteore01 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I recently purchased a new 2005 Toyota Camry LE four cylinder. It has about 600 miles on it. I had a 99 Camry which got immediately about 28 miles per IMPERIAL gallon in city and about 38 miles or more on highway. NO BREAK IN PERIOD on the 99 camry was necessary to get this high fuel economy. I based my calculations in both cases on the trip odometer and IMPERIAL gallons (Canada)

The new Camry gets about 20 miles per gallon with air conditioning on in city.

They tell me the new Camry has 7 horsepower more and an Alexis five
    speed automatic transmission. There is also an aluminum block engine now.

The 2005 Camry pamphlet shows fuel consumption 28/44 which bears no resemblance to my mileage.

Could all these so called improvements cause this bad fuel economy?

In addition I noticed the suspension is not smooth over minor bumps and car bounces around.

The current car was built in USA and the 1999 one came from Japan.

Roger
    The Camry 4-cylinder's horsepower went from 133 in 1999 to 160 in 2005 on US models. I would assume Canadian models to be similar. The engine block went from cast iron to aluminum with the 2002 redesign, and displacement increased from 2.2 liters to 2.4 liters at that time.

My 2004 Camry LE with the 4-cylinder, 4-speed auto (that I just gave to my son) got stellar fuel economy: about 23 mpg in the city and 35-38 mpg (US) on long trips.

So far, my replacement 2005 Camry XLE with the 4-cylinder, 5-speed auto isn't doing as well: as low as 21 mpg in the city and only 31 mpg on long trips, with 4200 miles on the odometer so far. The cars don't differ much in weight. We'll see what happens over time.

Both the 2004 and 2005 models rode/ride quite smoothly.
    I HOPE there is a solution! I have a the 'vibration' noise in my ear periodically since I got my '02 three years ago. Of course the dealer never could hear it but offered to use tephlon lube in between the gaskets where the window goes up. Well the noise has gotten much worse and my window tops actually have a line where the goo was. I cleaned everything; even used a toothbrush to get the goo out ouf the gasket where the window goes up. The tics are now worse. There is no doubt the dealer will hear the noise this time but I do not think the goo is a solution. Note that it quiets a little if I put the window down 1/8 inch or so. It stops if push the inside of the window outwards while driving. I am due for an oil change and I dread going in because everytime I go in I have a new rattle related complaint...some of which have been corrected or at least made better.

If they do not 'hear' this one or fix it, I am having a Toyota rep come in.

If anyone has had this issue and has a DIY fix, please post as I would like to eliminate the problem on my own as opposed to multiple trips back to the dealer, dealer rep, Toyota etc. I bought the brand to avoid this nonsense!.
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    I was under the impression that the XLE model designated it was a 6-cylinder.

Ken :blush:
    If you have only 600 miles on your vehicle, that means what? One and a half tankfuls? You need to wait until the vehicle is truly broken in before you can start taking measure of efficiency- probably around the 2500 mark. Just relax, and give it time.

And the above post is correct- the 2.4L is a completely different engine than your 1999's, and the difference in power should be apparent. The 97-01 were quite slow, in my experience, and bordered on underpowered.

~alpha
    geez, you might not need front disc pads for at least 90K or so. I didn't change mine on my 1994 camrys till 120K or so. The rear drums were still origionals at 197K (sold it) and just gave away my other 1994 camry with 203K and it had the orig drums. as for rotors, it costs anywhere from 20 each side to 50 or so depending on manufacturer. easy to replace and I wouldn't turn any rotors. I'd toss and buy new ones. that's my 2 cents.
    just got a 2005 LE and although extremely short distance (78 miles), I got 28 MPG with a city/highway mix (mostly city). I have driven more highway (about 275 by this weekend) and I'll calculate the MPG with more of a realistic period. I bet you get 35 or more on the highway only. Hang in there. The camry will come across.
    nope. can get 4 cyl version too.
    gee, you should have owned two 1994's with 4 cyl. it was 125 HP and I had to open the door and use my foot when the AC was on going up hill. my mom has a 1998 and it's way better than the 92-96 versions.
    They were basically the same engine and I noticed almost no difference between the two. We had a 95, 97, and 00 (leases, obviously). Current is an '02 (not a lease, or the 64K miles would put us in trouble!!).

Honestly, I'd say the 95 was actually quicker, or at least, felt quicker than the 97s and 00s, which had additional emmissions equipment and weight over the Gen Three models.

Despite still not being as quick as a current generation Accord 4, the 05 Camry 4 cylinder is plenty strong, especially given its efficiency profile. (The current hits 60 1-2 seconds quicker than the Gen Four Camrys).

~alpha
  • dougb10dougb10 Burlington, Ontario, CanadaPosts: 185
    In Canada, the XLE version is only available with a 6 cylinder for 2005 models.

Doug
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    What is the 4-cylinder XLE version? The LE Camry only has limited options when purchased :)
    Just check out www.toyota.com for specifications of the various models.
    Rotors (from Toyota add $200 to the brake job per axle...just an fyi)
    Again, it's hard to diagnose noise over the internet. Neither my 2004 or '05 Camrys have had anything like this problem.

Maybe it's time for you to give up on your Camry and get something more reliable like a Chevy! ;)
    Does the Edmunds TMV include the rebates...or do you subtract them off.

I won't even pass comment on the reliable Chevy quote.