Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Hi there, My name is Williewiskers: I have a 91 Toy. Cressida which I love. But have had head gasket problems with it. Two weeks ago I decided to replace it with a Japanese motor. Otherwise it would cost 1 to 1.5M to fix. The car runs greatnow. The Mechanic said Toyotos have a bit problem with that. If you like here is my e-mail. and I will fill you in on the details. l5464b@yahoo.com It's a problem, I know.
  • I have gotten my head gasket fixed already for about $1400 and the mechanic changed everything including the water pump and the timing belt. So really if you take that into account, he only charged me about $1000 for the head gasket. The car is running just fine so I now plan to keep the car for a few more year. :) However, the check engine light came on again. I have a scheduled oil change with the guy on Saturday since the re-machined the head gasket. I guess he will check on that then.
  • The Edmunds recall stats site will not accept the six character Canadian zip codes. Can somebody tell me how to access recalls and bulletins for an 1998 Toyota Camry 4cyl LE automatic please, Thanks alot.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I hope someone can tell you how to do that, but meanwhile, use the Help link at the bottom of the page to report this - and let us know what happens.
  • I definitely don't think you should just ignore it. It's NOT normal, unless you just accidentally overfilled the reservoir tank, in which case it might come out the overflow hose. Otherwise, check whether your temperature gauge indicates the car overheating. Then go to a reputable car repair place (sometimes it helps to ask a local auto repair training school if they can recommend someone in the area) with that information. They should be able to check if the radiator is working correctly, or the thermostat or the caps need replacement. If those don't resolve it, then you're in the same boat with me. Hopefully, you won't be.

I have a 93 Camry LE Wagon. Last year I suddenly had a problem with my reservoir boiling over if I drove longer than an hour or so. I would not get any warning lights, although after it was boiling over, the thermostat would show the car running hot. The only way I would normally notice it was that I would hear the boiling sound, particularly after I turned off my car or if I was sittingon the passenger side. My local service station couldn't reproduce the problem when letting the car idle for more than an hour, but was able to reproduce it when they put the car up on blocks and gased it as if driving it for more than an hour. They ended up replacing the full radiator, the several radiator caps three times to better and better quality ones, the thermostat, and the reservoir tank. The problem continued. I asked a local Toyota repair manager what he thought should be my next step, and he suggested they test whether the head gasket (I think it was?) might need replacement. The original service station tested it at my suggestion, and said yes it would need replacement, but refused to do any more work for the $1,000 I had already paid them. I decided to have the Toyota dealer take over. They did the test, said it did NOT need that work, but instead sent the radiator out and had it "boiled" and they claimed it removed blockages that had somehow been created when the new radiator had been installed by the other service station. They also replaced the thermostat again. This cost me another $600-700. They assured me they drove the vehicle for over an hour to test it, and that they had fixed the problem. I didn't have reason to drive the car more than 20-30 minutes for the next several months, but when I did, the problem reoccurred. I haven't had the money to pursue any other solutions to the problem, so for now, I'm just driving the car less than an hour at a time. I've asked several 'gearhead' friends, and none of them can think of anything else that should be checked or replaced. I'm at a loss.
  • How can one replace the dashboard instrument panel light bulbs? This is for a 2000 Camry LE. Dealer said they'd charge $175.
  • :confuse: I have a 1997 Camry LE 4 cyl with a little over 150,000 miles on it. Never had any major trouble besides your normal maintenance until now! Lately the car has been jerking bad but only when the car reaches 50 to 60 miles/hour. Any time before or after that it does not do it. It seems like it is miss firing. I took it to my Mechanic for a tune up and changed all the wires & spark plugs out. It stopped for a couple of days but then started again. I took it back and he thought that maybe there was a bad wire harness connection. When he pull the wire harness and spark plug to replace them he said that it looks like the spark plugs are burning a wierd color and can't figure out why this would happen. Any suggestion would greatly be appreciated. :confuse:
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    Unusual to fry spark plugs that quickly unless really grossly incorrect heat range plugs were substituted for what the shop manual specifies. But before you start throwing more parts (money) at an undiagnosed problem, better check for fault codes to find out whether there're deeper ignition system or general mechanical probs that would foul recently replaced spark plugs. Good luck.
  • I have been doing my own oil change for decades but could not see where the oil filter is located in 06 Camry (4 cylinder, newly acquired). Any pointers? Thanks.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    It's in front of the engine on the passenger side, recessed between the engine and the splash shield behind the bumper.

You have to access it from underneath the car. It's best to use a cap-type wrench, with an extension.

When you loosen the filter and some oil starts to run out, just leave it alone for a while to drain (with a pan underneath of course) before you continue. Otherwise, you'll get oil running down your arm.

Good luck!
    I love the smell of scaldingly hot oil searing unprotected flesh in the morning. It smells like ... like, agony.

(apologies to George S. Patton...)
  • bildowbildow Posts: 100
    You can use dexron 3 in your power steering or mobil one synthetic transmission fluid and change it every 30,000 miles
    I wouldn't use ford transmission fluid in a camry, and you can drain your transmission fluid by using the drain plug on the transmission only use the toyota type 1V transmission fluid it has special additives to make the trans shift smoothly don't use dexron 3 in a 03 camry if you choose to use synthetic trans fluid use Amsoil you can find them on the internet it is expensive but it does help the tranny to run cooler in the summer and also in cold weather it ready to flow in the trans when it get really gets cold.
  • I have been purchasing Toyota products since 1970 from the same Toyota dealership in my area. During the past two oil changes, oil residue has been left all over my engine causing oil spots on my garage floor. There are absolutely no oil leaks outside of sloppy oil changes. I sent a letter to the service manager indicating the sloppy service and never received a reply.

Has anyone else experienced this type of sloppy service from a Toyota dealership? I have never run into this until now.
    I'd complain in person, and if there is no decent response, I'd recommend taking your business elsewhere. Has the dealership changed hands recently?

You could patronize a locally owned independent shop instead -- get recommendations from friends, relatives, or co-workers. I'd avoid the "quickie lube" places as well as chain tire stores.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    Paul - The typical dealer doesn't use a mechanic to change the oil. Rather, they hire young folks to do this work, and sometimes it can even be high school-age kids. This is not the case everywhere, but it is typical. Given the price competition from the Quick Lube places, dealer's can't afford to have line mechanics change oil.

This is one of the major reasons I've always changed oil myself. It's easy, and at the very least, I know it's done right. My local Advance Auto Parts store is my oil recycling depository, and this system works very well.
  • on car talk, they discuss oil, filters and the like a lot. I've read that you can gain maybe 1-2 MPG more if you use synthetic oil vs dino oil. I only use dino castrol in my 2005 camry and 2004 accord. I get about 40 MPG on the highway with both cars so I don't care about full synthetic. I was considering using a blend but the experts on car talk's site says you're wasting your money. It's more of a peace of mind for protection vs. actual gains.
    I agree with the car talk guys, and the only time I used synthetic was when my son took our 2004 Camry cross-country to go to school in L.A. This was in the summer, and temps reached 107 degrees during the trip. Plus it provided a cushion once he got to L.A. before he had to change the oil again.
  • how did this fuel filter change go? The thing is you have to tighten the nuts to prevent leakage but removing them is tough (the top one is fine to use a normal socket but the bottom one that's flared on the gas line needs the flare wrench for a better grip on that nut). Once I stripped that bottom one, I left it alone. My brother in law has the car now so he'll have to buy a new line (only $19 at a toyota dealer) and have someone replace it from the tank to the bottom of the gas filter. I might have overtightened them but I didn't want gas leaking during driving. You're lucky, the new gas filters on my 2005 camry and 2004 accord are in the gas tank and you have to remove the back seat and panel and get at the gas tank for the fuel filter. That will cost some bucks. Doubt I'll do that myself.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    My dealer has kids doing the oil changes and I've never had a spot on my driveway afterwards.
  • I have a '99 Camry V6 5-speed that I like a lot. It has about 100,000 miles. I bought it used over a year ago. Everything is fine . . . . except randomly and with no discernible pattern, it won't start after I have been driving it.

This has happened maybe 5 times in 15 months. It never happens when I start it up "first thing" (meaning in my garage). It has never happened on a long trip.

During one episode a kind-soul had a voltmeter and checked the battery. The battery was fine. When one turns the key during these "won't start" episodes, all accessories come on, but there is only a starter "click, click, click." It takes only a touch of the jumper cable for the car to fire right up.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

This may sound completely crazy, but I have a vague suspicion (nothing more) that it might have something to do with the daytime running light system.

Oh, one more thing. The original owner installed an aftermarket alarm/automatic starter device. It was a piece of crap, and the original owner disabled it long before I bought the car. I don't know what's left from this.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    It's hard to diagnose "no start" conditions over the Internet, but I'd recommend having your alternator and battery checked at an auto parts store like Advance Auto or AutoZone, which do these checks for free.

The daytime running lights draw little power, and are on only when the car is running, so I doubt they are the source of the problem.

OTOH, the amateur alarm and remote? starter system installation may have caused some lingering problems.
  • lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,788
    Anyone has a link to program the keyless remote for 2002 to 2006 Camry? Thanks!
    )) "I'd complain in person..." ((

Second that advice - there's a chance the service manager isn't even aware of his summer intern oil-change monkey's sloppy habits. paulcudlip should also have someone in the know check the oil drain plug to be sure "Jr." hasn't x-threaded it with an impact wrench...
  • I highly recommend complaining in person to the oil service manager if not the service manager himself. All of the oil changes on my land cruiser are done at the dealer, and about every other oil change ends up being a double trip. Once for the oil change and the second for them to finish cleaning the oil off some part of the oil pan or skid plate or something or other. I generally complain to the oil service manager, and he gives me a free oil change for the next time. I've so far only paid for about 3 or 4 oil changes in the 6 years I've owned this car so...yes waste of time, but getting free oil changes $40+ value...
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This discussion has been reopened in accordance with this post: Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3319, 12 Nov 2006 2:43 pm. :)
  • 1990 CAMRY WITH GAS SMELL.

I sometimes get a strong gas smell at the rear of the car when it's not running. I don't smell anything when inside the car, only when standing at the rear. The Toyota shop couldn't find anything a couple of months ago but thought it might be a faulty seal at the gas cap. They replaced the cap and it seemed to help for awhile. But the smell is back, as strong as ever. I don't see anything dripping from the car. Has anyone else had this experience? thanks
    It could have something to do with the evaporative emissions control system. Somehow, gas fumes are escaping.

You should get this checked by someone who knows what they're doing, and pronto.
  • My wife's 2005 Camry LE will automatically lock all the doors approximately one minute after the car is turned off and the vehicle left alone. My 2006 Camry XLE V6 does not do this.

I've searched the user manual high and low and can not find a specific way to set this. :( Anyone have any information on how this can be done?
    The door locks are not designed to automatically lock in the way you describe for the 2005 model.

There is only one way the doors can lock "by themselves" when the car is unoccupied: If you hit the unlock button on the remote when all 4 doors are closed, and you do nothing further, the doors will relock after 30 seconds.

This can happen accidentally, even when I'm in the house, and squeeze the keys in my pocket by crouching down, etc. The car will unlock in the garage and then relock after 30 sec. (I can hear the faint beeps.)
  • gbushgbush Posts: 5
    I have the same model year car with the exact the same problem. It has been over a year. Just found the problem last week and ready to fix it after Thanksgiving. A pressure fuel hose going out of fuel tank is leaking. I will let you know once I fix it.