Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    j_walkerj_walker Member Posts: 99
    Ditto canc and fwatson's comments about the interior especially the one about the center console. How original. I still prefer the center sole in the Avalon. I wonder what the center console looks like with the navigation system? Hopefully better.
  • Options
    taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    The new Camry looks like the Avalon from the side. Man this is ganna be a good car. It looks a lot better than the Lexus.
  • Options
    Is the rear sunshade powered?
  • Options
    allroadqallroadq Member Posts: 5
    I personally think that the new Camry is a great looking car, much more proportioned than the ES300. I do agree that the interior is a little bland, but so is everyones! Doesn't seem like much competition for the Altima though, only 194 hp! The 1992 Camry had 185! Where's the progress? Can't wait for the 03 Accord.
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    based on interior pics, it appears not only does the gen 5 camry borrow from the honda accord the storage bin idea in front of the shift lever, but also a "pull-out" coin box on the left side of steering wheel- this is very good as the gen 4 camry/solara coinbox is vulgar and weak.
  • Options
    fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    "fwatson's comments about the interior"

I don't remember commenting on the interior, but it looks great to me.

By the way, you're all supposed to hate this thing so I can get them down to invoice. Start talking it down.
  • Options
    har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    I agree with others that the exterior looks much better than the last Camry, but the interior looks like it could fit in an old Buick. I had been complaining about the new Altima's interior for looking a bit "cheap" but I'd much rather have the Altima's interior than this Camry's.
  • Options
    Sorry about that. I meant ripinrocket.
  • Options
    During lunch I dropped by Toyota dealership and got an upclose look at the '02 Camry. They had a blue LE and a white XLE. I sat inside both cars and of the two, preferred the XLE with the leather, wood and navigation system. I didn't pay much attention to the price. I however think I found a big misleading typo in the options list for the XLE. Right there on the list of options was the 6 CD changer. But from what I know, this option isn't available with the navigation system. Am I wrong? The sales rep didn't have an answer for me. I hope they straighten this out.

I did find the answer to my earlier question regarding the sunshade. It is manually operated.

From the side it looks like the Avalon. And the front and rear reminds me of the Ford Taurus.

I think I'll keep saving up for the Avalon.
  • Options
    mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Howdy All:

For those that have been fortunate enough to see the new Camry in person, did you notice if they still have articulating (tilting) headrests? Toyota's decontenting efforts have eliminated them from the Avalon so I'm wondering if they have been dropped from the 2002 Camry. I currently own a 2K Solara SLE and it has the tilting headrests which I like very much. I would consider the Camry, but only if the headrests tilt - a small feature I know, but those are what make up the total package.

From what I've seen of the LE interior in the posted images, it looks very 'pedestrian', a bit of a disappointment IMHO. I can only hope the XLE looks a bit more upscale as those who have seen it have mentioned.

M.J. McCloskey
  • Options
    bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I just got back from my local Toyota dealer and got a good look at the 2002 Camry. A much improved exterior, very nice. I was very disspointed in the interior. If they wanted to take styling cues from the current Accord dash board, they could have at least copied it or improved on the Accord design...but it's down right a boring. The Accords interior is much nicer.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    No manual transmission for the V6 Camry. The 2002 Maxima will have 255HP with a 6-speed manual. New Altima will have the same V6 as Maxima but 15 less pony's (240). You can get a 5-speed with any Altima.
  • Options
    laithy_74laithy_74 Member Posts: 35
    >>No manual transmission for the V6 Camry. The 2002 Maxima will have 255HP with a 6-speed manual. New Altima will have the same V6 as Maxima but 15 less pony's (240). You can get a 5-speed with any Altima.>>>

Toyota is obviously looking to improve its image among green-car lovers. That's probably why engine output is down from 194hp to 192hp (now ULEV in all 50 states), and maybe thats why no manual offered. They did the same with the Solara, power is down 2 hp to 198hp.
  • Options
    I also found out from the dealer that while the fog lamps are standard on the SE they're not available as a dealer add-on or a port installed option (PIO) on LE and XLE. At least not this year. So the dealer thinks the SE will be the better seller.
  • Options
    soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    The exterior styling looks more like Taurus IMO. Both front/rear are look like the Taurus ! As somebody said Interior would pass for any buick but looks impressed with the Civic/Accord. The Storage bin below the dash look much like the current Accord. I guess 2002 Accord do not have much to worry about. I am not impressed with the styling both interior & exterior (Though exterior is better than the last generation)

Observe that the rear bumper now is a one piece like that on Accord. 2001 has a vertical cut, also 2002 bumper color matches ok with the rest of the body. 2001 buper looks much cheaper than the new one. This car seems to be very impressed by the current Accord !!
  • Options
    I agree with you. I love the tilting headrests. I have then in my '99 and they are very comfortable. I think the Camry headrests are comfortable in either position. The '92-96 I think? The Camry's headrests were screwed up. They tilted really wierd.
  • Options
    jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    I went and saw the LE and XLE at my local dealer yesterday. The XLE with the navigation system has a 6 disc changer located in the trunk with the navigation system hardware. It's located in the left corner of the trunk. I was concerned when I first read about the need to tilt the navigation screen every time you want to change the CD, but the changer should reduce the need to open the screen.

As for the exterior styling, I'm pleased, especially at the rear doors and side. As for the interior, it's nice, but I was hoping for more of a driver oriented dash. But, I'm hoping the SE trim, gauges and dark charcoal interior will go a long way to improve the look.

I was able to get the one page brochure from my salesman and it really looks as if the best bet may be the SE model. The optional aluminium wheels(4 cylinder) and the fog lights really fill out the car.

Now I just need to convince myself to part with my '92 LE. I've had it since new and it has been fantastic, it has needed very few repairs other than wear and tear items, and it still rides, and looks great(no rattles squaks, etc.).

As far as the Accord/Camry debate or whether a fully loaded Camry is a poor choice in regards to a Acura TL, I think the only weak point I see is the horsepower on the six. I would guess that the engineers/planners got caught off gaurd on that. But since I'm probably getting a loaded up 4cyl SE that isn't a concern. What really concerns me is the long term quality of a car. I plan on having this new one for 10 years as well, and here is where Honda and Toyota part ways on the quality issue. I live in Western PA where they salt the roads 4 months a year. If you look around here at the '90-'93 Accords, 2 out of three have severe rust out in the quarter panels, same with every Acura from that era. Now I have yet to see one camry of my vintage with rust on it. (Yes I know about the previous ones) It seems that toyota has, at least with the Camry/Avalon, solved the design issues that promote rust.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I saw the 2002 Camry LE today and cannot understand the hoopla about this new model. Basically it looks more like a pregnant Avalon. The front is bland (looks like the new ES300) but the rear end is much better, closer to the Acura TL. The dated interior is a knock-off of the Accord with no real center console. But, then again, this appears to be the evolution in Japanese styling. This dash first appeared in the Accord, then the Q45, Altima, and now the Camry. Seems like a step in the reverse direction.

I would recommend car enthusiasts to wait for the new Altima or Accord before commiting to the 02 Camry.
    Disappointed!
  • Options
    allroadqallroadq Member Posts: 5
    Good observation sobers! It does look like a taurus. I kind of like the taurus, but the resemblance is uncanny!

As for sales figures, I still don't know why the camry is outselling the accord? Accord is less money, and bigger. Could it be because of the camry's fleet sales? I know that is why the taurus was the #1 selling car over the accord a few years back.
  • Options
    mikidmikid Member Posts: 15
    hi:

camry price does sound high for the 2002. i just purchased a 2002 Avalon, that had a $1200 mfg discount, and then i was offered $2500 more discount on top of that besides my trade in. all in all i purchased my Avalon for less than i was offered for the 2001 Avalon (?). the 2002 i purchased had all the best features and packages included, heated seats, jbl sound, vsc, memory seats, 16" wheels, sunroof, etc. all i can say is i got all of that for what you are saying they offered for the camry 2002?

miki
  • Options
    fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    I have really liked the rear styling of the Taurus, and the Camry has improved on it in my opinion. I however have not liked the Taurus grill and rear/side window opening, and feel the Camry has corrected that very nicely.

Add to that the obvious quality difference, and as soon as I get them to accept invoice, I will be driving one. No leather, I hate sweating. That leaves the XLE out I think. Looks like a V-6 LE for me.
  • Options
    ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    Most Camry's sold are 4-cylinder models and most V6 models are LE models. XLE V6 loaded Camry's have historically made up a very small percentage of Camry sales. So, the high price that people are talking about mean little.

The average Camry probably has a MSRP in the low to mid $20K range.
  • Options
    ravvie4meravvie4me Member Posts: 110
    I can't see why people are so upset over the price of the XLE Camry. It's been pushing $30k for years.
    You people are also forgetting that both the Accord and TL lack quality in the materials that make up the interior, a known Honda trait. The Camry, even though "just a Toyota" has a better feel throughout the inside of the car than either of the two Honda listed above.
    Someone above also mentioned rust on Hondas and Acuras as opposed to Toyotas. That's because Honda's has notoriously thin sheetmetal, it always has.
    There are only 2 other alternatives to the new 2002 Camry if you can't stomach the price, and that's the Avalon and ES300. The flimsy Hondas and unreliable VWs (Audi incl.) don't compare.

Just my 2 cents. (please don't take the above as offensive)

-RAVvie4me
  • Options
    The SE Camry should not come with a 4-cylinder. A sporty model should not have a 4-cylinder, but rather a V6 only with the 5-speed standard and automatic optional.

The 4-cylinder should only be in the LE.

Again, my two cents.

-RAVvie4me
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I concur 110%! Be afraid, Honda. Be very afraid.
    I love the SE. It has the black pearl emblems and spoiler I would pay for on the 2001 CE model and it's so inexpensive! We've got a winner here!
  • Options
    I definately have to agree. And yes Honda should be VERY afraid. Shaking in their tinny boots! The 2002 Camry is going to put the Accord in it's place, 2nd place on the sales charts that is (Camry #1 of course!)!
    Yes that SE is a beauty, I always loved the black pearl emblems. It looks absolutely sweet on some colors!

-RAVvie4me
  • Options
    ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    I too really like the Taurus exterior design, this one looks improved over it...but I could do without the mesh in the grille. Some more attractive hubcaps and bigger tires would do a lot for the look.

What the hell is with all these interiors?!?! First it was the Honda Accord. I hated that design where it just ends and then goes in like the dash/center console was some kind of afterthought. Then the 01 Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Stratus had this ugly design. The 02 Altima has it too! (although it looks better than all of them IMO). Now teh Camry! The Camrys is second to worst (the Chrysler twins look worst).
  • Options
    The vents on the new Camry look really big. That would annoy me. I like the dash of the '97-'01 Camry's. I think its bland but upscale looking. I also think the new Camry has a bloated front look. The bumpers are really big.
  • Options
    ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    Styling response from some Maxima owners...yeah I know our cars may not be the greatest looking in your eyes lol. Just thought it was interesting...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59153

• Options
    black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    Did they move the ignition to the steering column in the new Camry? It certainly appears so from the interior shots that I have seen.
  • Options
    the ignition has always been in the steeringcolumn yes?? i don't understand the last post
  • Options
    tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    Yes, I got to drive the LE today, and they also had 2 SE's in stock. The salesman was on his first drive in it, seeing it had 11 miles!
    Overall, my impression of the exterior is that it is pleasing, not offensive, yet dull. The interior is plain, but very functional. The SE adds a nice titanium background speedometer, which looks nice (ala RSX). The seats (cloth) were comfy, but lacked thigh support. headroom was great and legroom was even better (i'm 6'1). The I4 was rather quiet and smooth as expected. The inside of this car is SOOO quiet! After a while I had to roll down the window to get a little noise!!!
    However, the LE I drove had a light feel to the steering, and felt overly boosted. The suspension was soft and made curves challenging, but gave a ver smoooth ride that gobbled up the bumps. Wind noise was hard to find, even at 65 mph. This car works hard on hills, but any I4 will struggle when pushed uphill. The brakes have some serious dead-pedal travel, but the tranny gives good support to braking. I'd imagine the brakes will be much better after breaking it in.
    The biggest negative I could find was that fit and finish on these cars were not great. The left rear tire appeared crooked on flat ground (bent axle????). Some material surfaces did not match up, and the SE had a notceable misalignment in the driver's door. The bumper color also does not match the rest of the color exactly...but you only notice in certain angles and light.
    All in all, this car will fulfill everything the Camry does: reliable and safe transportation.
    Oh ya, the alloy wheels and spoiler do amazing things for the looks!!! And the sunroof in huge! If you're also feeling rich, get the leather seats...they are super-cushy, yet supportive.

Best of luck to everyone, especially Honda and Nissan! It's gonna be quite the battle.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Personally, I'm very satisfied with the exterior styling, I find it a very suitable mix of different styling elements without being offensive. It bears little resemblance to the Taurus, IMO, but the rear looks similar to just about every other recent incarnation of taillight treatment that I've seen, which isn't necesarily a bad thing. (For example, I think the Accord rear end is cheap and overly busy) And, I'm happy that the tach is back on the left, where it should be, but the huge gauges look a bit silly, IMO.
    The rest of the interior seems to be very nice, at least from the pics. I really am looking forward to seeing one in person.
    Does anyone know 0-60 times for the 4cly/auto combination. the previous generation with 136hp could do the trick in an adequate but unexciting 10.5 sec. I'm thinking the new car should shave about at least a second off that.
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    I think the new Camry looks very very good. It has the look of an expensive luxury car. I like the new door handles - nice touch. The only part of the car I'm not too excited about is the front grille. Since it was dark when I saw the car, I was not able to get a good look at the interior. But from what I could see, it was very well done. Much better than the busy looking interior of the Altima. I know I'm in the minority with this particular opinion. The Accord's gauges still look better though. Toyota has a winner on its hands. Can't wait to test drive it.

ravvie4me

"you people are also forgetting that both the Accord and TL lack quality in the materials that make up the interior, a known Honda trait"

This is not a known Honda trait, just your opinion which is fine. But the industry views Hondas just the opposite of what you think. The interior of the last Camry was dismal compare to the Accord. Now it's much better, more Honda Accord like. I do think Acura has some work to do to get up to Lexus standards though.
  • Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I have to agree with Ravvie4me about Honda's interior quality. It's been my experience that Honda interiors are not pleasing to the eye, nor do they use quality materials. When I test drove the Honda Civic (but only sat in the Accord for a while), the fabric seats weren't as smooth as they are in Toyotas, nor are they anywhere close as being comfortable. The Civic's and the Accord's seat felt like I was on Forrest Gump's bus bench. Not very comfortable. The interior plastics are chintzy, and the steering wheel doesn't have any grip. From what people have told me, and from what I've experienced, Honda is reknown for its engines, and not its interior design.
  • Options
    accord interior has better coin box, better center armrest, better storage bins, and better odometer/trip odometer (both can be viewed simultaneously)-- having owned a 99 solara and now a 2001 accord, the accord in my view has a better interior

toyota has better tilt steering mechanism than honda... honda is quite weak in this area and has been for years.
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Why do you say there are only two alternatives to the 2002 Camry if you can't somach the price -- the Avalon and ES 300? Both those cars cost MORE money. If someone can't stomach the price they would want something LESS expensive.

Also, your statements are just your opinions. I was with my friend when he bought a new Accord coupe two years ago. I thought the interior materials were top-notch. The TL does lack a bit, but when you consider it's from a luxury car division that weighs heavily. I for one would never buy a car unless the dealer gave loaners, and no Toyota dealers in my area do that. With a loaded Camry you're paying luxury car prices without the luxury car treatment or buying experience.

As for the rust on Hondas, I don't know where you get that from. I had a Prelude for 8 years, my sister had an Accord for 8 years and my brother a Civic for 9 years. None had a speck of rust, and none were ever garaged.

And as for thin sheetmetal, my Prelude survived a hail storm in 1990 beter than nearly any other car.

Again, both the Camry and Accord are high-quality cars. Someone may prefer one over the other, but not for the reasons you provided. Don't take offense, just trying to set the record straight based on my experiences.
  • Options
    ecarmackecarmack Member Posts: 161
    Having driven Camrys and Accords, I prefer the firmer seats of the Accord for support, especially on longer trips. And they do soften some over time. My lower back tended to get sore in the softer Camry seats. Everyone's body fits differently though. Try them all.
  • Options
    The seats on my Accord coupe are just fine.

So is the steering wheel.

But I will say the interior material quality is not all that great. The interior looks nice, but for example, the top of the dash is rock hard plastic(not good), the leather is kinda on the cheap side, and the door panels are pretty flimsy. Anyone check out the steering wheel hub on a Accord? It's flimsy too.

The Camry's interior looks bland but all the materials are basically high end. The whole dashboard is nice soft cushy vinyl, and no flimsy door panels, and Toyota uses nicer leather.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    LOL, sorry couldn't resist. I guess those Toyota feed platic cows are much better...
  • Options
    yup, "cushy vinyl".
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I have to disagree completely with Ravvie and Canc about the quality of the materials used for the Accord interior. After driving a 2000 Accord EX V-6 for about 1 1/2 years, I had the opportunity to drive a relative's 2000 Camry XLE V-6 for several days while on vacation. Very nice car overall... I can see why the Camry and Accord are such fierce competitors. However, to me the dashboard came across as being quite downscale for such a top-line trim level. Dull and uninspired, with a cheap-looking texture more reminiscent of a taxi cab than a luxury car. To me, the interior of my Accord evokes the feel of an Acura, while I didn't get any sense of a Lexus from the Camry's interior at all.

Sadly, the pictures of the new dash don't seem to indicate any improvement. The plain squarish control pod is just plopped in the center of the dash. There's little or no attempt to integrate it into the styling of the dash at all. It's just there, like an afterthought. To me it seems clear that Toyota is intentionally keeping the Camry from being upscale enough to support the impression that a top-line Camry is a very reasonable substitute for an ES300. They probably encountered that problem with the really Lexus-like interior and dashboard of the '92 - '96 models, and don't want to take that chance again.

Back to the Accord again... from Car and Driver to Motor Trend to Road and Track to Consumer Reports, you can find accolades about the quality and upscale feel of the current gen Accord's interior. I don't have the mags handy, but I recall the context of a couple of statements. Between Motor Trend and Road and Track, one said (I paraphrase from memory), "In contrast to the Accord's plain vanilla exterior, we were pleasantly surprised at its upscale, Acura-like interior." The other mag said that the Accord's interior was more like an entry-level Acura than a mainstream mid-size car.

Yes, that's their opinions, but they match my experience exactly, and I think they're right on the mark. YMMV.
  • Options
    tntsmomtntsmom Member Posts: 3
    This is a car not a house. You don't live in it. Why pay $30K for an XLE when you can pay $19-20 for a nice LE. Obviously you people are buying it for the "status" and not the necessity. So quit complaining about the price and go find yourself an expensive Lexus or BMW so all your little friends can be jealous of you. But in 5 years when your expensive little car is broken down on the side of the road, you can watch as we Camry drivers pass right by in our very dependable cars and wave goodbye saying "You shoulda bought a Toyota"!!!!
  • Options
    tntsmom,

What are you talking about?
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    A Lexus is just as reliable as a Toyota, it's made by Toyota. What do you mean by your comments? With your logic, why get a Camry LE for $20,000 when you can get an Echo for $12,000.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    On September 14 Camry lovers will have another car to choose from besides the Accord.

Nissan is the big turn around company in the last three years. And the next generation Altima will offer everything you want.

1)Larger than Camry and Accord

2)I4 engine with 175HP & V6 with 240HP

3)5-speed with any motor

4)Three trim levels

5)Priced similar to the Accord

If you what to see it yourself check out at:

http://nissandriven.com

As George W said "it wont be long now"

• Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Better standard power too...
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    By next week the new Altima's 4 cylinder may be down to 170 bhp. Ha Ha Ha. I'll save judgment about the 4 cylinder until I actually test drive the car, but a second article made mentioned to the Altima's loud 4 cylinder. How many people are going to care about 17/18 bhp if the engine is unrefined. Buyers of domestic cars may not care about this, but Camry/Accord buyers do. 80% of these cars are to be sold with the 4 cylinder. I'm still pissed off that the Altima won't have the V6 available in any of the lower trim levels.

Also, MotorTrend made comment about the cheapness of some of the Altima's interior material.
  • Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    "accord interior has better coin box, better center armrest, better storage bins, and better odometer/trip odometer (both can be viewed simultaneously)-- having owned a 99 solara and now a 2001 accord, the accord in my view has a better interior"

When you're comparing the 2001 with the Solara, it's been known that the Solara's coin box, as well as the cupholders, aren't top notch. The rest, however, is almost Lexus-like in the Solara. Either way, the Solara and the Accord are both superb cars (did you go for the coupe?), and you can't go wrong with either one.

I have to say though, that I won't hold back from buying a car simply because I can see the odometer and trip odometer simultaneously. If I compare the Civic to my Corolla, however, I have an outside temperature gauge which is very useful in winter.