Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    I have no idea how VSC actually works. If you live in the snowbelt area of the northeast and midwest it is suppose to make a world of difference in icy, slippery roads. But my question is what if you live in the South say in Florida where it never snows but rains a lot during Spring and Summer; Does VSC make that much of a difference?
  • My car in the mornings always starts to shake and the RPM's would bounce around like 100 up or down. I think this is because of the Idle Air Control Valve. I am wondering how do I clean it. I heard it is very easy but where is it and how do I take it apart and clean it. Please help me as i dont want to pay dealer's rediculous prices
  • yrnehyrneh Posts: 5
    I have the same problem...I thought tune up would fix it but it didn't. I would like to know how to fix this problem as well. I appreciate any help.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    VSC will help you any time you are in an emergency maneuver. Even on dry pavement, it will keep you from plowing forward in an understeer situation.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    Camry was LE V6 and SE V6, Avalon was XL. Since the purchase is for my friend, I only test them very briefly on highway and city. Rough impression is:

1. Avalon definitely has more room. The driving feel and quietness is about the same as Camry.

2. SE V6 3.3 liter engine does not seem to have noticably more power than LE V6 3.0 liter engine. Some people say they can feel the difference. I drove one in the morning the other in the afternoon, not one immediately after other maybe that's why.

3. When I sat on back seat, at highway speed like 60 MPH, I heard more wind noise than I espected from Camry. Maybe I've been reading too much of how quiet Toyota/Lexus are therefore my espectation is higher than it should be.
    The 04 SE V6 is suppose to have 15 more ponies than the LE and Xle V6. The torque rating is 240 at 3600 rpm vs 220 at 4400 rpm respectively. Toyota claims that the 3.3 engine is suppose to accelerate to 60 nearly a second quicker than the 3.0 engine. In fact, C&D(I think) test drove the 04 Solara V6 and got a 6.9 sec 0-60 time. The Camry SE same engine and transmission should match the Solara's number. The 3.0 engine found on the LE and Xle typically does 60 in about 8 seconds.

I think Jiamin, you feather footed both cars during your test drive which is understandable. If you nailed the pedal I think you definitely would have felt the difference.
    Yes, from the engine data (HP and torque) I'd think I could feel the difference. I'd go back and try again. By the way, when I pulled the SE V6 out the dealer lot and drove to the highway entrance, I felt the car didn't move so quickly and proportionly with the acceleration pedal, as if this car is much heavier. At first I thought I didn't release the parking brake completely. But it was not the brake. I don't think it's the warming-up time being too short either.

Toyotas' options are more flexable and confusing than Hondas. I'll let my friend decide what he wants first, then get down to price from carsdirect.com or other sources, and compare among dearlers.
    It might very well be the drive by wire thing. Personally, I am not a big fan of it but more and more companies are putting it in their cars. Some people claim that their is a slight lag before the car accelerates when the pedal is depressed. Could be that's what you felt.
    Thanks motownusa for mentioning this. I though only more luxury/expensive cars have that. Yes, to me the tranditional cable works just fine. Only one or two times I adjusted and reduced the cable slack on my cars, just to make sure it would respond to my right foot more quickly. Actually I didn't need to adjust them at all.
  • dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    I was going to post about buying the car through a service, but since this is Edmund's board and they have their pricing services, I figured it would have been deleted by our host.

Apologies, Karen.

Deke
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Um, not sure what you mean by "buying the car through a service", but we don't expect folks not to buy through sources other than Edmunds - drop me an email and we'll clear this up!
    I keep forgetting the Edmunds' policy. I'll recommend my friend to use Edmunds' pricing service.

Just test drove an 04 Honda Accord EX V6. To my suprise, it's at least as quiet as Toyota Camry V6, maybe even less road/tire noise. I took exactly the same section of the highway. I feel the interior room is less, and the material quality is a bit lower than Camry. Sorry about being off topic a little since this is Camry only section.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    You're fine. Its welcome commentary, as long as Pat doesnt mind. Thanks for your comparisons and input.

~alpha
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Folks, please feel comfortable sharing how you bought your car. As I said we certainly don't expect everyone to buy their vehicles through Edmunds partners.

So do tell and do ask!!

:)
  • dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    After doing much research on Edmunds and other web sites and preparing for some real tough negotiating, I checked with AAA, since I've been a member since 1984, They have a buying service with authorized dealers. Cars are sold at $400 over invoice.

We wanted an XLE-V6 with VSC and Premium Pkg B, but the wife had been without a car for a few months and didn't want to wait any longer - as women are prone to do ;-P.

Dealer found us an '03 LE-V6 with sunroof, JBL CD stereo, black pearl emblems, carpeted floor mats and trunk, etc. Invoice was $21,300 + $400 = $21700. Since this was an '03, there was a $1000 rebate. We got the car for $20,700 plus TTT.
    No hassle, no negotiating, no feeling like we were taken to the cleaners.

May be worth looking into. The cost of a year's member ship in AAA (and CAA) is well worth it, if only for the roadside assistance. They also offer extended warranties for up to 72 months/100,000 miles.

Not every dealer is enrolled in the plan and not every salesman is authorized; just check the AAA web site to see which dealers are on line.

Hope this helps anyone looking to buy.

Deke
  • I have this hesitation experience with my 03 SE V6 when the engine is not warm enough. I believe it could be the "drive by wire" thing or the motor has not been run in. I've read the same problem on the TSX by some reviewer. This happen to me about 2 times during one year of ownership. I'm glad it doesn't happen anymore now. I have a few rattles that had mysteroiusly gone.
    Same thing happened with my 03 LE V6. There was a slight delay when I pushed the gas pedal. could it be related to new car "break in". My car also had two small rattles that used to come from the two front doors. Mysteriously disappeared after 4 months.
  • I did not think my '03 V6 XLE had electronic throttle control, also known as drive by wire. I saw no mention of it in the specifications for the car. I've noticed that cars that do have it, like the current Honda Accord and the new Acura TL, make a point of listing this in the specs.

Are those of you posting about this subject aware of something I'm not?
    All Camrys since 02 models have drive by wire throttle control. Same for Accords since 03 models.
  • Anyone who owns an 04 Camry SE with the 3.3L V6 engine, can you inform us what fuel the owner's manual recommends or requires?
    Thanks!