Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Hi everyone.

I posted a question on the problems forum about my chair squeak. Are there any other issues concerning my trim that I should heed? It seems like some of you may know of common problems with the V6 SE. So far, it's just the chair squeak for me. I haven't noticed the pulling left problem for example.
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Your parking brake most likely adjusts the rear brakes when you apply it. Many(all?) Toyotas are like this, although the owner's manual does not state it, I found it in the service manual. What the dealer may be saying is that sometimes the adjuster does not do it's work. My 89 Camry has had the rear brakes manually adjusted twice so far in 212,000 miles. Otherwise the parking brake method has worked.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    ....of the reasons why a handbrake (or the equivalent footbrake) needs to be routinely used. Most people don't bother to use it, and thus over years, the mechanism can freeze in place, and prevent automatic adjustment of the rear drum brake shoes.
  • hank2hank2 Posts: 75
    I'm about to buy a 2004 Camry SE 4 Cyl in TX. I've just run into a new twist. It appears that Toyota dealers in the Dallas-FT. Worth area require the buyers sign an arbitration agreement.

Has anyone else had to sign one of these or is my experience unique? Opinions?

- Hank2
  • I'd find another dealer, and if it is a policy among Toyota dealers I'd then look to Honda? Are you sure they were not joking? Of all cars to force arbitration on they pick the Camry notorious for NOT having any problems. (sans rattles)
  • nw1997nw1997 Posts: 227
    hank2,

I have to agree with andrelaplume. There was a huge story on Dateline, (News Show in the NYC Area). The undercover members of the show went to various dealerships including Honda, Toyota and Ford throughout the US. A few were found conducting the same act you were told. Please, don't get me wrong not all dealerships do these things. An honest, replicable dealership stands behind every car they sell. It sounds to me that if something goes major wrong with the vehicle that you cannot take them to court, this is baloney. You should have the right to take anyone to court if they do not stand up behind their product or service.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    This is just out. Has anyone with a Camry experienced this?
         This is from CNN.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/09/news/international/toyota_probe.r- - eut/index.htm
  • I have seen posts here on this...not sure what year though...was always surprised there was no big uproar on the board...guess there is elsewhere!
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    History on this topic would suggest that the problem is with the driver, not the car. At no time has any pattern of so-called "sudden acceleration" ever been laid at any doorstep other than driver error. I don't expect anything different in this case, either.

Sometimes, the spacing between the brake and accelerator pedals on certain models can invite people to do crazy things - mashing the right pedal when it's the left they're looking for, or having a foot slip off the brake, with or without any contact with the throttle pedal. If anything else is at work in this case, it will be a first.

After the so-called "popular press" nearly ran Audi out of the American market over this issue 20+ years ago, only to find that there never was anything at work but driver carelessness, you'd think a certain caution would be at work in how these stories get reported. Guess nobody has learned anything...what a shock...

The only thing that came out of the Audi fiasco was the popularity of the so-called "transmission interlock", wherein you can't get an automatic out of Park without stepping on the brake. That, unfortunately, doesn't do much for folks who can't tell which pedal IS the brake once they're in gear.
  • andy71andy71 Posts: 96
    Given that there are more than a million of these "affected" cars on the road and the number of incident that has been documented is only about 30 or so leads one to believe that the problem probably resides with the driver and not the manufacturer.
  • Hi everyone,

I am interested in buying a 5-spd manual SE 4cyl. sedan sometime in the next few months. I have heard that all manual transmission Camrys are made in Japan. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!
    Check the (VIN) number etched on the lower left of the winsheild. If the number starts with a "4" or an "A" it is made in the good ole' USA. If it starts with a "J" it is made in the land of the rising sun.
  • rattles in the Camry...or do they not rate this aspect of the car? If you ask me the car has fallen a few notches in build quality.
  • I know how the VINs work, but I was just wondering if anyone can confirm what I read. It would be interesting indeed if Toyota manufactures all manual Camrys in Japan.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I've pressed the gas instead of the brake when in reverse. I nearly backed into a lightpole as the result. Whoops! Watch your feet people!
  • Hi everyone,

As I said in a post above, I am interested in a manual transmission Camry SE sedan. Living in South Carolina, I'm sure just locating a manual would be difficult at best; even if I do I'm sure the color/options combo won't be what I'm looking for.

In fact, I'm pretty sure nothing short of a direct factory order could get me the exact car I want. So the question is: Does Toyota allow its dealers to place orders direct to the factory or are we consumers relegated to hoping and praying and having the dealer simply search inventory and pre-determined allocations?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Hey Cool, how's the Corolla? I miss the excellent gas mileage of mine, my Sentra isn't as good as my old '96 DX. But I must admit, the Sentra drives and brakes much better than the DX. I guess the 15" wheels also help improve the ride.
    Hope all is well otherwise.

The Sandman :-)
    Have you tried Autobytel, msncarpoint or other websites? I bought mine online. My Toyota dealer has a website where you can order any trim levels you want. I bought a 2004 SE V6 mine was built in Japan. I am sure if you have your heart set on a SE 5 speed manual, there are ways you can buy it.
  • Thanks, andy71. I sent my dealer an email and I'll see what they say. Thanks again for recommending those sites.