Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• chilly1chilly1 Posts: 9
    I knew going in that the LE V6 in a 5 speed was harder to find. Because of this I would have been willing to pay more for the vehicle if he would have had to trade with a dealer. I know that when they trade like that that they are actually selling someone else's inventory and that the trade car from their lot does not get taken off of their inventory until it sells and the new dealer.

I also knew that with the 2002 redesign that I may have to have him "preference" or "order" (call it what you will) one of his 2002 allocated models in the options I was looking for. I was in no hurry for a car and was more than willing to wait until these were released later in the year.

None of this bothered me. I guess what bothered me, and looking back I should have handled it better, was that this guy tried lying and then back tracking when he found out I knew better. He already ticked me off when he only agreed to spend an hour with me because I wasn't willing to discuss the terms of the sale, cash or financing up front.

What also bothers me is that I could get this car in Denver from a friend of mine who runs one of the dealerships there, but instead I tried to support the local dealer and purchase a vehicle through him. I am not the type who is going to try and nickel and dime down a deal. If he would have been willing to give me a good deal on the vehicle I would have bought from him no questions ask. In case you are wondering, I would have said a good deal would have been 5% over invoice if he could get a 2001, and close to MSRP for a 2002.

I will admit that I didn't handle the situation as well as I could have and that I maybe should not have used such strong language. 3pointstar is correct in that I "SORT OF" owe him an apology for this (by the way I knew that the LE would have been a V6 I may have left that part out.) I guess I am just use to going to the dealer and being treated fairly and honestly. At least that has been my experience in the past.

I guess the bottom line is that I contacted Toyota today and filed a complaint. Nothing may be done, but at least it will be reflected on the dealers record.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    Just found out that the photo is probably of a Japan-only Toyota model and the US Camry will likely have a cheaper-looking interior.
  • 3pointstar3pointstar Posts: 45
    That is a sweet looking interior! Toyota totally lifted the wood trim styling off the current MB S-Class. I am in the market for a used S or LS400, but if the interior is as nice as in the photo (with the nav), I will be very interested! As for being Japan-only, I thought those were right-handed driver interiors? The photo shows a left handed driver interior - makes you wonder...could it be the new ES300???
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 641
    looks like the new 2002 camry comes with cable....
  • 3pointstar3pointstar Posts: 45
    I know it sucks. Just look at it this way. You did the right thing by filing a complaint with Toyota. There is no excuse for lying salesman, maybe ignorance, but not lying. If you decide to buy from the same dealer, maybe you can find another salesperson who'll treat you better. Plus, the Camry will likely be very reliable so you won't ever have to see the dealer again.
    If you look carefully, you will notice the picture is a mirror image. The gauges are backwards. It's a Japanese Toyota.
    The new Camry interior will probably be more plain.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    You don't owe an apology for anything. I'll defend many things dealers do since I am one myself, but if your description is even 50% accurate, you owe them nothing.

Having said that, I can sympathize a bit with certain aspects of what they did. At this point, they have no idea if Toyota will even build a V6 5 speed next year. Taking an order on something like that wouldn't make much sense. It will be two to three months before they can even "preference" a 2002. Still they could have explained that in a customer friendly manner. Its all in the presentation.
  • j_walkerj_walker Posts: 99
    I just read a post from that site stating that the photo is a flipped image of the Toyota Mark II.
  • surfing19surfing19 Posts: 46
    Tell you what, if toyota puts a Navigation system in there 2002 Camry, I would buy the Camry over the new Altima or the New Accord.
  • drcsfdrcsf Posts: 36
    I have been following the posts regarding this model. I own a 99 V6 5 speed LE. I had to visit 5 dealers in Baltimore/Washington to find it and it was the only one on any lot. It is indeed a rare model and even rarer in this last model year. Since 1997, Toyota produced less than 5000 V6 5 speeds. In 97 and 98 these were only offered as CE's. In 99 and 00 these were only available in LE's. 2001 has seen production drop to only about 1 per week!. So the difficulty in finding one at this point is real. Sorry, but it might just be too late to get a new one. The next model may not have a V6 5 speed at all. That said, I would recommend you check some used car sites like CarMax. If you can find one with low miles you most likely could steal it since the trade/resale is poor. Good Luck. Craig
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    My 96 Camry with 51K miles is running great. On a recent 545 mile trip(with one tank of gas), it got 29.8 mpg at speed of 75-80MPH. I know it can do 30-32 if I drive at 65, but it is very hard to keep the speed down. At one spot, I let it climb to 110. The engine never got loud.

Everytime I see a 92-96 Camry with a single tail pipe, I say to myself these people don't know what they are missing!

The only WINTER complaint with this car(and its soft suspension)is its sliding side to side tendenecy on ice patches on highway. It scares the daylight out of me on icy interstate driving.

The car's dark green paint scartches VERY easy, and it is impossible to remove them.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    A shame, but sometimes when you sell a product that everyone wants you forget how to be a good sales person and dealership.

In the 80's after having 3 Japanese cars (1 Honda and 2 Toyotas)I came back to American cars mainly because of the treatment I'd gotten from area Toyota dealers (3 within about 10 miles in metro NY)and the bull and lies I'd gotten from all three dealing with a problematic vehicle. One even put the car on a grease rack and smashed a ceiling mounted space heater through the windshield and then lied about it too!

My Mom is in year 2 with a 2000 Camry LE and although she loves the car, the dealer service has also turned her off!

As they say on TV, You Are The Weakest Link!
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    Nope, that's not the interior of a 2002 Camry.
    Yes, I know. I already posted a couple times that it turned out to be some other Japanese Toyota model.
    >Yes, I know. I already posted a couple times that it turned out to be some other Japanese Toyota model

Yes you did... and I was agreeing with you.
  • jdarcyjdarcy Posts: 8
    Why pay more for maintenance and repair at overpriced and frequently arrogant dealerships in the first place? There are so many Camry's on the road that good dependable independent shops are familiar with them.
    I had a good experience with Thomasson Toyota in the Portland area on a cash purchase of a 2001 Camry 5sp.( $16,012 hard cold cash with value pkg. upgrade ). It was seamless and only took 30 min. to complete the transaction on the advertised special. I live in the Seattle area, therefore I will use only independent shops for service and repair. A local dealer tried to scam my dad on service for his '86 Camry.
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    I have an independent mechanic I trust you will gladly put on genuine Toyota Parts (which I order wholesale from a dealer in MI) for much less then local dealer. Recently did 120,000 miles service, all belts (timing,accessory), thermostat,coolant, water pump (with new, now required bracket, mine is a 92 with 134,000 miles now) platinum plugs, new ignition wires, fuel filter and front valve cover gasket (V6) for parts of $440 plus labor from independent of $400. Dealer wanter $600 just for the labor!!! For certain things the OEM route is the way to go, especially brake pads and water pumps etc.
    As it stands right now, production on the new 2002 Camry is slated for the 3rd week of June. This is about a month ahead of normal schedule.
  • I recently purchased a 98 Camry LE v4 with only 9200 miles on it from a dealership. The car seems to be in perfect condition inside and out, but I have found that when I have passengers in the back seat the car tends to bottom out when I'm coming out of or going into an underground parking garage. And now my wife tells me that the car also bottoms out exiting her driveway at work when only she is driving it! Is this a common problem with Camrys? What does it take to fix it?