Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    This means the rotors are warped. They need to be replaced, or "turned" on a milling machine, if there is enough thickness left to justify it.

This is a common problem with many cars. Make sure that after the brakes are done, that the shop torques the wheel bolts using a torque wrench, not an air gun, and that all bolts are correctly tightened. Overtightening, and/or uneven tightening, is one way warpage can occur in any car. Simple overheating of the brakes is another possible cause. In any case, you need to get the rotors seen to asap.
  • r0de099r0de099 Posts: 35
    How much do you think it will cost me?
    I have practically no idea - haven't had this done to any of our cars in ages. With new pads, I could see it anywhere from $150-$350, depending on who does it and what parts they use.
  • lilabnerlilabner Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2005 Camry LE (4cyl, AT, Salsa Red) for $15,999 - wheee! A "loss leader" from Mossy Toyota here in San Diego. My wife and I are VERY happy!

I found in the Owner's Manual how to reprogram the door locks, so they do NOT lock when you put the tranny in R or D, and do not unlock when you put it in Park. Call me old-fashioned, but Ijust never liked those features - would rather have the door locks do what I said, when I said. (Else why do they have those handy switches on the armrest and on the key fob?)

Also found the section where it described the power windows. In Mode A, you can push the switch all the way down and release it, and the window will keep going down until it's fully open. But it won't go all the up if you push the switch all the way up and release. You have to HOLD the switch up until the window is fully closed.

In Mode B, the manual says, you can make the window go all the way down OR UP if you push the switch all the way down or up and release.

But I can't find anywhere in the manual where it says how to change from Mode A to Mode B for the power windows. Mine is in Mode A - it will go down all the way without my babysitting it, but will not go up all the way unless I continually hold the switch UP.

Anyone know how to make the driver's window go up all the way, with just a quick press and release of the switch? My 2004 Sienna LE will do this. Why not this 2005 Camry LE?
  • moeharrimoeharri Posts: 108
    I have a 2005 XLE and my window goes up automatically. I'm fairly certain that only the XLE's have the auto up feature. If you look at this page, http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/camry/models.html and select the Interior tab, I believe it confirms my hunch.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    On the power windows, I believe the auto-up feature is only available on XLE models for the Camry.
  • After we proudly pulled our just-purchased Camry LE with side airbags into our garage, I remembered that these new stock tires, the Goodyear Integrity model, were a different make than the Continental stock tires reviewed by Consumer Reports as part of their Camry review--and not reviewed as being particularly good, at that. Many previous posts here have complained about the Continentals. Evidentally, most new four cylinder Camrys now come with Goodyear Integrity tires.

I looked up the Goodyear Integrity reviews at TireRack.com and one other site, expecting good things. However, this current Camry LE stock tire is universally hated, with many hyproplaning complaints! Since we bought our Camry with side airbags for safety, I immediatlely traded in these tires locally and paid a $172 difference for new Kumho 716 tires. These well-priced tires are rated by literally hundreds of buyers as tops and make our new car even quieter. With the torrential Florida rains we've again had this week, we sure are happy we immediately switched to a much better rated tire. Something to consider when you budget for your new car.
    Unlike Honda, Toyota has a habit of using many tire makers for individual models. At any given time on a large dealer's lot, you'll see Camrys with Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear and Continental tires. Only the Michelins would stay on any car of mine.

Have to admit to some amusement to your initial reaction that GY Integritys would somehow be better than the Contis - lots of manufacturers use these tires as OEM, but they have only one virtue - they're inexpensive for the car makers to buy.

Honda tends to settle on one or two tires for any given model in their line, and equip every car with the same tires. Lots of people complain about the Mich MXV4s that are OEM on most Accords, but these are far superior to just about everything that Toyota uses on Camrys.
  • camryxcamryx Posts: 2
    I have the same problem and wasn't about to live with it or sell the car and take the depreciation hit.

I pulled off the back panel on the from seat (no tools needed, just pull hard from the top).

You're now looking at the 'innards' of the front seat back.

I positioned 2 steel rods vertically and then used nylon cinch cables to draw the springs, lumbar mechanism, etc away from the seat and toward the steel rods. The tension holds the rods in place. Make sure the lumbar is all the way off and don't press the lumbar button otherwise you'll either burn out the lumbar motor or break the nylon cables. All of this is completely reversible. It took me about 15 minutes to do the whole thing.
  • Yep, on my other car, a 2000 BMW 323ci, the stock tires were the same that the Accord and several others use, the Michelin MXV4s that you mention. I agree that they are much better than any of the tires on the four cylinder Camrys and the TireRack.com reviews seem the bear that out, too. My Michelins now have 53,000 miles and I asked the tire shop that installed the Kumho 716s on my new Camry what he recommended for their replacement. He said his Mercedes also came with the same Michelins and he replaced with the Kumho 716s, finding a much more responsive and pleasing tire. So, we'll likely be a two car Kumho family soon. The Michelins are pretty good and seem to have long tread life in our experience, but I'd rate their hydroplaning resistance as being pretty good, but not great, or confidence-inducing in a Florida storm. The knock on the Kumho 716s seems to be that they don't last much past 50,000 miles but that's ok with me.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    The Toyota website advertises the radio as having "XM satellite radio capability" which it describes thus: "Functioning XM Satellite Radio requires XM Satellite Radio capacity, XM Satellite Radio receiver + satellite monthly service fee."

So what is required to take advantage of the capability?
  • dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    Sounds like you'll need the receiver and an annual subscription.

As it reads to me, the radio is set up to have a receiver added, but Toyota doesn't supply it.
  • ian721ian721 Posts: 93
    Want to get rid of the cats? Put catnip on someone else's car.
  • peterpanpeterpan Posts: 120
    Michelin MXV are quiet, good wet traction, maintenance free, and last as long as 80K miles.

In those criteria, I found the MXV far superior to Dunlop and Bridgestone Potenza in the same Camry we had.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Anyone been on the plant tour? I'm going Monday.

Have just agreed to lease a new SE-V6 which I hope to pick up late next week.
  • mi_satmi_sat Posts: 42
    I'm surprised your post didn't receive more "chatter." I am presently considering a purchase of either an Accord EX-V6 or a Camry XLE-V6 in November 2005.

Based upon the posts I've seen here and in the Accord forum, it appears that Camry will have a major refresh in 2006 (not sure when) as a 2007 MY, while the Accord will be about one year behind that timing.

I plan on keeping the car for a long time, but I hate the idea of buying something for $25k when it will (potentially) be significantly restyled/recontented in a year or two. Yes, I realize that I will experience a refresh if I hold onto the vehicle for 7 years, but it irks me that I may be giving up significant improvements just 12 months from purchase.

Do you have any more clarification on timing of Camry's refresh? I haven't seen any media speculation on a major Camry refresh for the timing you indicate, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, I guess.

Do you have any thoughts on my concern of buying a vehicle one year before refresh? Am I being irrational?

Thanks.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Also, the 07 V6 Camry will get the powerful 3.5L engine from the Avalon. That is a good enough reason to wait. Judging by all the reviews, that is one heck of an engine
  • camryxcamryx Posts: 2
    Sit in the back seat and pull the back panel of the front driver's seat with both hands. It will come off from the top. Next, pull the steel bar that they used for the lumbar support toward you slowly. It's soft steel and it will bend and bow toward the rear of the car. This will create more space between your back and the lumbar rod.
  • mi_satmi_sat Posts: 42
    Not that I'm doubting you, but can you tell me your source?
  • slov98slov98 Posts: 112
    remember first year models usually have some issues, like rattles..2002 camry had many but most were fixed by 2003. The camry just got a refresh a year ago with new grill, headlights, tailights and interior improvements, so you won't be getting the same camry that was released in 2002.

I bought mine in 2003, I plan on keeping it for at least 7 years and I might be in a similiar situation as you're in now. By 2010, the next generation will be in its 5th year I think.