Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Their widths are identical.
  • ian721ian721 Posts: 93
    I never toured a Toyota plant, but I did once get a tour of a Ford plant in NJ. Highly recommended if you're in the vicinity. It's truly amazing.
  • midusamidusa Posts: 3
    We just took our 2002 Camry LE to the dealers to have a slight squeal in the steering checked out. The car has 23000 miles on it and an extended warranty for 5 years. The car is 20 days out of the regular warranty but not to worry- there is that extended warranty that cost an arm and a leg. The serviceman just called and said the airbag clockspring has to be replaced. $361.00 and No it is not covered by the extended warranty. :cry: So much for extended warranties!! Anyone else have this problem?
  • 1) Get another opinion from another dealer. Are you aware that the 02 Camry's are afflicted with the squeeling steering wheel. Mine has done this twice, both times in the cold. It occurs when you turn the wheel. It sounds like a squeeling or rubbing noise. The first instance was when the car was about 3 months old. At my oil change I mentioned it and the dealer knew about the problem. They lubed something in ths steering shaft. The second time was this past winter. I again mentioned it at an oil change and they again lubed it. I mentioned that if it happens again I have no intention of paying for the lube---once out of warranty. They said there was a new 'tool' that allows them to get the lube higher up the shaft and it should not be a problem again. Are they blwoing smoke up my...who knows but it appears to be a common problem. If this sounds like your issue mention it to the dealer or better yet get to another Toyota dealer. For all you know they are making you replace a part that has nothing wrong with it.

2) Extended Warranty. You say it cost an arm and a leg and does not cover the part. Did you get a genuine Toyota Platinum Plus warranty? The warranty covers just about everything except for normal maint. items. I am not aware that a clock spring is a normal maint item...perhaps others can comment. I do know 3rd part warranties or lesser Toyota warranties do not cover as much as the Platinum Plus. As far as costing an arm and a leg, I paid $675 for my 7/75K platinum-plus warranty with $0 deductible. Sure they wanted to sell it to me for $1400. I declined, waited a few weeks, researched costs here at Edmunds, determined I could actually buy the warranty at any dealer in the country, found a dealer here that would sell me one for $675 and then offered my dealer that deal. I pointed out up front I got the offer via email from another dealer over the net. I also pointed out that was exactly how they landed my sale - best price over the net. They took the $675. On a $19K car I did not think that too unreasonable. Some have argued you could drop AAA and save $$$ each year since the warranty covers breakdowns.

Check your warranty, check with the dealer, get another opinion. There is no way you sould be out $300+ on a newer Camry. If such happens to me then its back to domestics for me---where I pay less up front! I bet it just needs some lube though.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi midusa, what a bummer - andrelaplume has some great suggestions for you. You may also want to check into our Extended Warranties discussion.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Does the new 5-speed automatic on the 4 cylinder 2005 Camrys have the same "slow-to-downshift" problem and acceleration hesitation problems where you floor the gas pedal and then wait 2 seconds before the car reacts with an increase in speed as the V6/automatic that is often complained about?
  • moeharrimoeharri Posts: 108
    I have a 2005 XLE 4 cylinder and it does have the hesitation problem. I believe this is due to the drive-by-wire system rather than the transmission. It's mildly annoying to me, as I don't ever floor it anyway. If the need to floor it arises, I'm confident the car will be fine--it's not a 2 second delay for me, more like 1 second or so, hard to say w/o timing it.
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    Yes... it tends to up shift quickly and down shift slowly
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    IMO, it is more of a drive by wire issue than a transmission issue (so I agree with the above statement). It isnt a Camry, but our 05 Legacy with a 4 speed auto and drive by wire has a observable hesitation when downshifting. Neither of the two 05 Camrys (that I've driven) felt as pronounced as what I've experienced in our Legacy, and even the Legacy's performance is not something that I am concerned about. I actually dont feel the Camry upshifts early, especially under 3/4 throttle...and the downshifts arent as slow (as some people seem dramatize).

~alpha
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    For more info, refer to these articles if you haven't seen them yet.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05036/453222.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04345/424551.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04343/423383.stm

There is a board here at Edmunds dedicated to hesitation (inappropriately titled "Engine Hesitation" but site is almost 100% discussion of hesitation/lag upon acceleration in Toyota/Lexus line), so if you wish to discuss with others, you can go to http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef4cdbd/570
  • midusamidusa Posts: 3
    The squeal was not loud and only occurred when turning the wheel at low speed such as when we backed into our driveway or when parking. My wife, who normally drives the car had complained about the sound. At normal highway speeds it was not heard. The mechanic at first lubricated in or around the steering boot at first thinking that this was the cause of the noise. He then brought the car around to me and said that he thought that this was all it needed but he said that he thought he heard the squeal or squeak in the steering wheel. He said that he would have to take the steering column apart to see if he could find the source of the sound. We left the car with the dealer overnight. The next day is when the service dept called with the bad news. Yesterday, I went to the cashiers office just at closing time and paid about $385.00 for the repair and asked the cashier whom I might speak to about the warranty. She directed me to the finance dept and after speaking to a couple of salesmen in the sales dept. I was taken in hand by one of the finance fellows who listened to my story and even though it was past time for him to go home, said" let's see what we can do about this" In a straight forward no nonsense fashion he made a few phone calls, ending up talking to someone in California where it was only about 3:30 pm. He said to the man on the other end of the line " I don't think he should have to pay for this." The conversation lasted about 5 minutes or so and the man on the other end of the line came to the same conclusion. Toyota is going to reimburse me for the total amount. I think it is great that this dealer went to bat for me. He also took the time to explain to me that the CostGuard Complete warranty was a very good extended warranty that covered all components but a few items that were listed. He stated that he had the same warranty on his car.Unfortunately airbag assemblies are one of the few items not covered and the clockspring is a component of the airbag assembly. We bought the Camry after hearing what a great reliable car it was. So far, except for this problem it has been trouble free and we both love the car. It is my firm hope that it stays that way. :D
  • 1) I'd stick with only genuine Toyota brand warranties.

2) As far as the dealer going to bat for you....I hope they indeed did so and were perhaps not fearfull that a newly informed customer was about to start yelling and screaming about a 'repair' that was unncecisarily made. The squeeling you descibe is EXACTLY how mine was.

In any event..I am glad it worked out for you.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Posts: 293
    My 03 V6 had the same squeaking steering wheel, was lubed once with the noise returning. The second time they said "they took it all apart" and lubed it. This was two months ago. The noise hasn't returned.
  • Everytime I fill up the tank, I reset the trip meter. When it's halfway empty, the trip meter shows about 200 miles. But then it goes on E when it's only a little bit over 300 miles. Shouldn't it go all the way up to 400 since it's 200 at a half tank? I drive mostly on the expressway and I go 50 mph.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    Well, firstly, you're not measuring fuel mileage using the method you describe, because ALL fuel tank sending units are gross approximations at best. All of them use a float in the fuel tank that is attached to an electronic sending device. The float bounces up and down, and is never [except at full-full or empty-empty] anything but an approximation of how much fuel is left in the tank.

Secondly, every car I've owned [and I've had over 50] behaves exactly the same way - the fuel gauge hardly moves for the first half of a tank, and then seems to plunge off a cliff for the second half.

Only way to accurately measure fuel use is to log, at each fillup, how many gallons you put in versus how many miles you have driven since the last fill. Do that religiously for several months, and you have a good idea of what kind of MPG you're getting. The fuel gauge is nothing but the equivalent of a wet finger in the wind about what's going on in the fuel system.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Good post jrct9454. I hate it when people report mpg via the trip computer. As you stated, this is not reliable. I have heard that the trip computers on most cars are off by 20% or more.
    As a side note, I would like to hear from recent Camry owners with the I4 auto trans as to what kind of mpg they are getting. Please no trip computer figures.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    The trip computer in our Highlander usually overstates the mileage by about 1 mpg on extended highway trips. Given the 22 mpg we get, that's less than 5% error. I agree though that the only way to accurately measure milesage is via actual gallons used vs miles driven over several tankfuls.

No computer in the Camry SE-V6 I just got and haven't gone thru a tank yet but based on the miles driven and the position of the gas gage, I'm sure I'm getting at least 20 mpg around town ;-)
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    I believe there are two main reasons for this behavior, and I agree, I have owned way too many cars in my day, and they all do the same thing.

First reason, the tanks are usually a very odd shape, in order for the manufacturer to fit the largest gas tank they can, and allow for rear axles, brakes lines, exhaust pipes, etc. If they could build a tank that was perfectly cylindrical, (or box shaped for that matter) the gauge COULD be much more accurate...if they wanted it to be...which leads to the 2nd reason...

Second reason...they really don't want you running out of gas, so they allow the second half of the guage (lower half) to be pessimistic, causing you to feel the need to refuel sooner.
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    We have a 2003 Camry SE 4cyl, 4 spd automatic. We get about 25-26 in town, and 30-31 highway. In town is my wife commuting 12 miles to work on surface streets, takes about 25 minutes for reference. Highway is defined as high speed (75-80mph) accross the Arizona desert, almost always with 2 people and A/C use.
  • hank2hank2 Posts: 75
    I have a 2004 Camry SE 4cyl, 4 spd automatic with ~13K miles. I commute 25 miles to work @ 65 MPH. I started out getting 26 MPG. Now getting about 28 MPG, and have never gotten over 29 MPG.

-Hank2