Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    I was not looking for a diagnosis but rather a solution. A great number of cars share this affliction...just looking for a fix.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Won't comment on the fuel consumption - as noted, it is way too early in the life of this car to draw any conclusions.

However, since this is one of the smoothest riding cars on the planet, be sure to check your tire pressures. I'm betting they are over-inflated, as they all are for shipping. Dealers often don't set them correctly before delivering the car. Check and let us know what you find.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    My 2005 just started doing this at 3600 miles. Will be taking it in for an oil change soon and will have them look/listen for it. Our 1996 Explorer had the same noise and I never did diagnose or fix it. It was out of warranty before it started.
  • Dealer has the car now....said they would lube it again....told them I think I need more than that...we'll see.

Funny, we are thinking of getting a Sienna. The shuttle car this time was a Sienna. Very nice riding and quite EXCEPT for the exact same cracles and pops....I guess it is an inheret design flaw in Toyotas.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Does anyone know when the 2006 Camrys will arrive? What changes, if any, are expected?
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    They should arrive any day now. There are no changes, since the redesigned 2007 model will be introduced in early 2006. Prices will increase, however, on the 2006 models, by about $150, IIRC.
    I saw a press release distributed from a news source(dated 29 July) that gave several price increases for Toyota but the Camry was not included in that list so, at least for now, there does not appear to be a price increase for the Camry.
  • Wouldn't the next generation be due out in mid 2008? I bought my 02 in May 2002 and I recall I was one of the first in my area to have the 'new' model. My car was 3 year old this may, (5/05) If the new gen comes out every 5 years then I'd expect to see the next new gen Camry very late 07 at the earliest...no?
    Toyota has in the past redesigned the Camry every 5 years. The current model, as you have correctly stated, started in 2002. That would make a new model start with the 2007 model which typically comes out in Aug-Sept of 2006. But, there have been rumors that the new 2007 model might come out early. The rumor has it that we might see it in the spring of 2006.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    The '07s are indeed on track for an early release in '06, perhaps as early as March.

Keep in mind that the "new" Corolla was released as an '03 model in the first quarter of 2002 - we bought one in March of '02.

There are no "rules" any more about this kind of thing - when the car is ready they put it on the road. They want to have the Camry hybrid ready for release in the new body at the same time the rest of the line gets the redesign, incidentally.
    It's not a rumor; the redesigned 2007 Camry will come out in early 2006, possibly as early as February. The hybrid version, however, will not be available until the end of calendar 2006, from what I've read.
    Does anyone have any good pictures of the new 2007 Camry?
  • What do seat pretensioners do?
    Actually, they are seat belt pretensioners. These tighten up the front seat belts in the event of a serious enough frontal crash. The idea is to remove any slack in the belts and prevent you from moving forward too far. Of course, they're only effective if you are wearing your seat belt in the first place, which I'm sure all Edmunds posters do! ;)
  • But don't all seatbelts work this way? I thought it was a special feature in the Camry.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    All seatbelts should lock in the event of a frontal collision, but Toyota is one of the few companies that uses the pretensioners to take up slack in the seatbelt in crashes that involve the airbags. One of those "minor" things that don't effect the crash-test ratings with them being static tests, but can and do make quite a bit of difference in real-world situations.

Ken
    Most 2005 model cars (and pickups, vans, and SUVs) now have these for the front seats; a few carmakers install them in rear seats as well. If you look at the April 2005 annual auto issue of Consumer Reports, there is a list of all vehicles with this feature (as well as some other key safety features).

In a lower severity frontal crash, it is possible for the seat belt pretensioners to activate without the airbags deploying. The Toyota owner's manual explains this in detail.
  • Is the 2006 Camry detuned from 2005? Edmunds' comparator on toyota.com says so, and Toyota's eBrochures agree. The data:

LE 2.4L 4cyl:.....2006.....................2005.....................change
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Power (hp):.......154 @ 5700 rpm.....160 @ 5700 rpm.....-3.8 %
    Torque (ft-lbs):...160 @ 4000 rpm.....163 @ 4000 rpm.....-1.8 %

LE 3.0L 6cyl:.....2006.....................2005.....................change
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Power (hp):.......190 @ 5800 rpm.....210 @ 5800 rpm.....-9.5 %
    Torque (ft-lbs):...197 @ 4400 rpm.....220 @ 4400 rpm...-10.4 %

SE 3.3L 6cyl:....2006.....................2005.....................change
    Power (hp):.......210 @ 5600 rpm.....225 @ 5600 rpm.....-6.7 %
    Torque(ft-lbs):....220 @ 3600 rpm.....240 @ 3600 rpm.....-8.3 %

But the gas mileage is the same in every case. And it doesn't seem to be emissions - 4cyl eBrochure says in some areas cars with PZEV ratings will be even poopier. What's the deal? Anybody know?

techstaff
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    "What's the deal?"

New SAE standards for measuring hp and torque. Most ratings will go down unless the manufacturer tweaks the engine to keep it the same.
    lmacmil is right. There is a new formula for measuring HP and Torque. So the figures you see for the 2006 Camry are NOT a design change for its engines but now there are being tested by the new SAE standards.
    By the way, are there any other changes for the Camry that you saw for 2006? I see the price has gone up $250.00.