Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• both the $17995 (2005 LE used) and $18500 are the quotes for the cars, so both would then have $299 dealer fee, tax and title added.
  • Does anyone know if the supercharger available for the Scion Tc will work for the 05 Camry? Both have the same exact engines. Thanks everyone.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Blog with us about the new Camry and Camry hybrid here: 2007 Toyota Camry and Camry Hybrid! It's from the Detroit Auto Show.
  • Do any of you perform maintenance recommended by the dealer that is not specifically recommended by Toyota. For example my dealer, and I think this is true here in the south east, constantly recommends "top engine cleaning" and fuel injector cleaning. I use premium Shell V-power gas which according to some group of auto manufacturers including Toyota is highly recommended for its detergent qualities. Do any of you buy this stuff and does it do anything other than generate revenue for the dealer?
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    "Do any of you perform maintenance recommended by the dealer that is not specifically recommended by Toyota."

Generally not. If you use "top tier" gas (which Shell is) there shouldn't be any need for fuel injector cleaning. Service typically generates more money for a dealer than new car sales and since the recommended maintenance is pretty slim, they try to jack up their revenues by recommending services way sooner than they would usually be needed (if at all.)

We've purchased/leased 3 Toyotas from the same salesman and part of his delivery spiel is to go over the scheduled maintenance and note that nothing beyond what the manual recommends is required. I'm sure his service dept hates him for that ;)
  • Hello All,
    Just picked up 03 Camry XLE V6 w/ 42k miles on Bridgestone
    Potenza R 92. 4/32 left and time to replace. What would you suggest to replace tires with. Live in Central NJ.
    Have options thru Costco Michelin MXV4 plus and MXV4 S 8
    but these receive poor feedback on wet and snowy pavement.Good on dry pavement.
    What would suggest? Your help is appreciated.
  • :lemon: :lemon: PLEASE DO NOT GET THE MXV4's. :lemon: :lemon: I am in the Seattle area, and have these on one of my camry's, and every single time it rains, I hydroplane (I still have tons of tread life). They're a decent tire, but there are so many better tires out there. A friend of mine has a Tc, with goodyear eagle F1's on, and those tires have incredible grip for a reasonable price. If the F1's are a little much, then the next best might be the assurance TripleTred, which gives good and an H (130mph) rated tire. If you are going to buy through costco though, I believe you can special order the Michelin hydroedge tires, but they only have a T(118 mph) rating.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    One of the recent Consumer Reports issues tests tires. I would look there. I do think the Assurance was near the top, as well as the hydroedge.
  • Thanks for feedback
    I did more research. How about replacing with Bridgestone Turanza LS V rated at 400 AA A. Gets good reviews/feedback from tire owners thru Tire track

Thanks
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Agree 100% with Imacmil. The extra services the dealer is pushing just generate extra profit for the dealer.

If you have a 4-cylinder Camry, you don't even have to use premium gas. Shell regular gas (87 octane) is still Top Tier (and so is every other brand that has the Top Tier rating, like Chevron).
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    I have no specific recommendations FOR a replacemnt tire on your Camry, but based on my personal experience with Michelin ENERGY MXV4+ original equipment tires on a '96 Accord and my current '03 Sonata, avoid them unless you're hearing impaired. In the dry climate here in So-Cal, traction hasn't been an issue, but these are --N-O-I-S-Y-- tires on concrete. (Guess what material the great state of California uses for freeway construction...) They do wear well, though, and return respectable fuel mileage.
  • guillguill Posts: 94
    I have the factory-supplied Michelin MXV4, not a bad tire but not highly recommended. The Yokohama AVID TRZ is a very highly rated tire according to tirerack consumers. This tire is often praised on many other automotive enthusiast websites. In addition to the high performance ratings, the tire is also very reasonably priced, currently priced at $68 for a 215x60/16. Also check out the AVID Touring and H4. Bridgestone Potenza G009 and Bridgestone Turanza LS-T are also two very good tires. All of the aforementioned tires are either performance all-season or standard touring all-season.
  • Thanks, so I won't get top engine cleaning or fuel injector cleaning. I have used Top Tier premium Shell gas on my V6 almost exclusively. How about trans service at 30K?? Don't see it recommended in manual. Note: this car is driven 90% of the time on short 1-3 miles trips.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    If it were me, I'd just get the transmission drained and refilled (no flush). You only get about half of the fluid out, but if you keep doing this every 30K (or fewer miles), less and less of the old fluid remains behind.

Just be sure to refill with the genuine Toyota ATF. You are correct; the manual recommends no changes for typical service.

Premium gas is recommended in the V6 for top performance but isn't required, as it is for some engines.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Has anyone done a regular to premium mileage comparison over at least 3 tankfuls with a similar driving schedule? I've read that premium will yield better mileage but I wonder if it's enough to offset the extra $.18-.20/gal.
  • According to the November 2005 issue of Consumer Reports, the Goodyear Assurance tripletred was a quick pick with an almost excellent rating. The Hydroedges were slightly lower, but was still at 6 and recommended for long tread life. The turanza's were towards the bottom of the list, but was recommended for long tread life.

(consumer reports Nov 2005)
  • Colud you please tell me where did you buy the warranty? And what is Platinum Plus warranty? I searched and can not find it. Thank you!
  • Thank you for your help, just need more extended warranty info.
  • I got my Platinum Plus Warranty--NO deductible from my dealership. There once was a very good source for warrany info around here. He worked at a dealer and even gave what fair prices were. Do a search on Cliffy1 and you should find a wealth of info on Toyota warranties. Though he did not solicit, I know he worked for a dealer and I was even going to purchase over the phone from him....but then my dealer cut their price in half when they heard I was about to do that.
  • By the way, in 02 it was called Platinum Plus...I assume it is still called the same. Essentially it listed items NOT covered. Almost everything was covered. The difference between the $0 ded and $50 ded was very small, though they really do not let onto that at the dealer. I paid $690 for a 7/75K at the time. You have 3 years though to make the deal; the price may go up $50 - $100 or so over that time. The downside to purchasing right away is that though the warranty is prorated, it starts as soon as you buy it. Since you have 3 years of coverage already you may want to wait a couple of years to buy it...just to be sure you really like and want to keep the car.