Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• gpoltgpolt Posts: 113
    Don't any of you notice a blatant omission?

Hopefully, the spoiler is port-installed and can be deleted.
  • ken135ken135 Posts: 10
    Spoiler on SE is factory installed (standard equipment), not port-installed.
    Let me switch with you on the trunk lid with the spoiler, I am looking for a base LE model with spoiler.
  • kippy95kippy95 Posts: 7
    I'm planning to buy a new 2002 Camry LE 2.4L automatic, in the coming week. I'd priced out this car and willing to pay $21,500 with these options:
    Anti-lock Brake (AB), Floormat (CF), and
    Package #3 (GJ):
    -Keyless Entry w/ab Hazard Buzzer.
    -Power Driver's Seat Package.
    -Radio: JBL 3-in-1 Premium Combo w/Changer.
    -Sunshade.
    -Cargo Net.
    -Power Tilt & Slide Moonroof.

Does anyone think I can do better than this price?
    Any suggestion?
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    "And hey folks you can get a fully loaded Diamante for 24k (which looks classier) and you can probably score a 300M, LHS or Aurora for less money than the new Camry."

All well and good. And Sunday I bought my '01 Millenia, sticker 29594 including the dealers $925 wash and wax, for $21830. Out the door including tax, tag, and everything else, $23779.

This friends is a loaded luxury car, for the price of a stripper Camry V-6. It is also IMHO much better looking, and flawlessly assembled.

Also at the head of the class with the Camcord and Max in reliability rating on every source I can find.
  • Man, that's one ugly car. Looks like a Hyundai or something. The rear end is way too high up, the headlights are messed up, and the cheap wheels are just way too small. Tell me what you guys think. And if you haven't seen it, there are pictures of it at http://www.geocities.com/o2_camry_photos . Yeah, I may have taken the pictures, but that doesn't mean I like the car. Yeesh!
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    if their Camry has one. That's probably what someone at Toyota was thinking.

Some people have compared the Camry with a Mercedes, in terms of looks. I agree. Ever seen a spoiler on a Mercedes S class sedan? Of course not, it would look silly.
  • ravvie4meravvie4me Posts: 110
    Toyota deleted the 5-speed from the V6 for emissions requirements. They did this in 1994 when the Camry's V6 switched from the 3VZ-FE (92-93) to the 1MZ-FE (94-current).
    Toyota re-introduced the 5-speed V6 for 1997 in the Camry CE V6 as a manual only model. After 1998, the CE went to 4-cylinder only and the V6 5-speed went into the LE.
    So if history is any indication, Toyota should offer a manual with the V6 in the near future.

-RAVvie4me
  • har1bushhar1bush Posts: 207
    Well, for everyone who complained about the new Camry's prices should either be also complaining about the new Altima's prices or actually convince themselves that the Camry's prices might even be reasonable... the new Altima has been sighted in many dealerships today and looks like the top-end Altima SE V6 with all the option boxes checked is 29K! Plus people even complained about the interior (what a surprise) of the Altima. Looks like Nissan isn't going to be giving Toyota, nor Honda, a competitive model that undercuts others' prices.
  • vmaturovmaturo Posts: 71
    Well I've already seen a $31,970 Camry.

So I guess $29,000 isn't bad.
  • ravvie4meravvie4me Posts: 110
    "the new Altima has been sighted in many dealerships today and looks like the top-end Altima SE V6 with all the option boxes checked is 29K!"

"Well I've already seen a $31,970 Camry.
    So I guess $29,000 isn't bad.
    "

Wasn't a loaded Altima supposed to come in around $24k? Man did Nissan overshoot that, it's certainly crowding the Maxima at that price, not to mention the Camry!

-RAVvie4me
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Can one change the oil filter easily on the 3.0 liter V6?
  • Who would pay $29K for a Nissan Altima?!! This is a car that was a tier below the Camry and all of a sudden it's priced near former Maxima GLE levels! Hah!!! I still stand by my statement that $30K for a Camry is reasonable.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Yes, but a $29K Nissan Altima has a 240 hp V-6 engine. And last time I checked, Nissan's reliability record is right up there with Toyota, as well as build quality and refinement.
  • c0kec0ke Posts: 44
    Did you run you list through KBB or are you using '01 prices as a guide?
    Also you'll have to consider Destination, TDA, Taxes, Documentation.
    What have I left out? Hope Edmunds pricing guide gets up soon.

Those "gottchas" can queer a deal in a hurry if you're not expecting them.

So far in the price discussions going on I've not seen any posts from a
    current purchaser of an '02. I'll be looking for an LE with options about
    like you have listed (sans moon/sun roof) but I'm reluctant to go "shopping"
    until I can find out if the new models are going out the door for less than MSRP.

I've got a move to deal with (fortunately not mine) in the next couple of weeks so
    after that will be my first opportunity to get out to the dealers. Well, unless
    an extrodinary urge moves me. :-)

Good luck on your quest ... let us know how it goes.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    does anyone know if the 29K Altima comes with Vehicle Skid Control, a Nav system, and Side curtain airbags?
    ~alpha
  • qwallsqwalls Posts: 406
    Nav - No, Skid control - No, but traction control - Yes. Side airbags - yes.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Two major considerations if you are a serious short-term [in the next 2 months] customer:

-It is going to take awhile to fill the inventory pipeline. Thus cars in stock are likely to have option combinations that will elevate the price, though one of our locals had at least one 4 cyl LE automatic with only Pkg 1, with an MSRP just over $20k. The rest were either loaded XLEs or SEs with that ridiculous spoiler sitting on the trunklid. Give it some time - even a high volume dealer is going to need weeks to get enough cars to give you some choice.

-Transaction prices will be likewise elevated for some time, as the early adapters seem to willing to pay almost anything. Our local high-volume dealer had only 6 cars in stock, with customers ready to pay sticker or higher, and this was an otherwise dead Tuesday on the week before the holiday.

I sat in the basic LE with the power seat, and am happy to report that the problem with the previous generation that drove me into the arms of Honda, namely the physical size [both depth and width] of the seat bottom, has been addressed. I would have thigh support comparable to my Accord, so this car is back on the shopping list.

Anyway, I counsel a little patience on the pricing question; you need to give the marketplace time to work, and that requires a few months, not a few days. In general, the car seems to be a winner, and given the apparent attack of pricing insanity at Nissan, will no doubt be a great success. Honda will hang in there with their prices giving them a value advantage until the new Accord arrives in a year, but Toyota has clearly hit the target again...the new 4 cyl in particular is a great piece of work, their best in years.
    I counted that there were 27 2002 Camry on the lot at this Number 1 volume dealer here when I visited them last Saturday (25 Aug.) with almost all models presented, from the lowest price LE Manual with couple of option to high end of XLE with every options. The salesmen indicated that there is discount to be given, but I did not counted with offer. I am planning to waite for them to build up more inventories this week and next week, before I start to negotiate for offer. Then I went to the Number 2 dealer, which is only about 7 or 8 miles away; there they have about 10. The last dealer I went to only had 2 on lot. What a disparity.
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    The Toyota V6 filker is on the front, relatively easy to change and at a slight angle so a little sloppy

As to MAximas, although sticker is close to $30000 you can pick one up in the lower to mid twenties. Better V6, reliable as anything I have seen or owned for that matter , and a great car without the Toyota dealer attitude!
  • azstanazstan Posts: 74
    I visited a local Toyota dealer here in Tucson yesterday and asked to see the 2002 Camry. I was informed by a Customer Representative (salesman) that the 2002 models will be "presented to the public" this Saturday.

Big Deal! I thought this was Toyota...I might expect this from Lexus or Mercedes. Last week I was in Phoenix and the 2002 models were already being "presented to the public". Dealer arrogance turns me off.

After owning several Camrys...am going to take a serious look at an Infiniti.
    ...that's what competition is all about, but to anyone who has driven both and has a modicum of sensitivity about the differences, the ride quality of either the Max or the I3x is decidedly firmer than the Camry, and even firmer than the slightly more brittle Accord. People who buy these cars obviously don't mind, but I would...all depends on what you want. Our '01 Accord V6 has about the firmest ride I want to live with on a daily basis...the Nissan twins as alternatives don't cut it for me, though the Altima seems to be better [according to the magazines...I'll withhold judgment until I try one myself].
  • trinhatrinha Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I've had the 2001 Camry LE since a month ago. I found a conflicting info about the way the A/C works in the Owner's Manual and what the car actually does.
    When I turn the air flow selector to defogging position, with the fan in non-off position, the A/C comes on automatically even though the A/C button is OFF and no green light on the button. There's no way that I can turn the A/C off, because the A/C button is already OFF.
    According to the manual, I should be able to turn on or off the A/C in this particular selection.
    Any one has the same problem?
    May be the owner manual is out of date?
    I'd appreciate any feedback.
    The whole point is for the AC to pull moisture out of the air in the defog situation...you set the temp you want and let it do what it's supposed to do...why do you want to turn the compressor off under this circumstance?
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    I don't own a Camry, but I suspect all you have to do to turn off the A/C is turn the temp knob up.
  • topgun7topgun7 Posts: 409
    wifey and I went to test drive a SE/V6 with Nav. We found the power more than enough, handling is excellent, the radio is very good and the interior finish is very good. For those who are interested in the car, you should check with www.cardirect.com. I priced out a fully loaded SE/V6 this morning and they are selling the car about $1350 above invoice regardless of the option level (msrp $30564, invoice $27182, price $28532). Give it try and see how much are they selling their car in your area.
  • filodfilod Posts: 189
    The 02 Camry is now on line at Toyota site

Exterior, interior, colors, specs and most of the things we want to know

The MSRP are just guides as most of us are aware. The actual price we pay for any vehicle also depends a lot on how good we do our homework. Sales people may not be the best resource in finding what a car will offer and what the price is.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Fiery's right, there are some good discounts already in SoCal. I don't know what you'd gain by going to Infiniti.
    "there are some good discounts already in SoCal"
    How much is "good" in SoCal ?
    Here in Texas, $1,000 off MSRP, but it is still around $1,500 over invoice.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Pricing for the 2002 Altima has been announced today. It seriously undercuts the top trim levels of the '02 Toyota Camry....

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories0827/nissan829.htm

• azstanazstan Posts: 74
    Sure are no deals around here. In Phoenix one dealer is ADDING $2500 to MSRP. Two dealers here are somewhat less than pleasant to do business with. My first time considering buying a car in AZ...so maybe would be worth the trip to CA to buy a Camry there. I know 2 people who have gone to CA to buy Avalons. Also, wife is on my neck to take her to Sea World again. Please keep me posted on CA prices.
    Thanks.