Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• john339john339 Member Posts: 229
    Here is a link to the latest article on the Toyota engine sludge failures, this is from the LA Times:

http://cgi.latimes.com/class/highway1/yourwheels/20020313/t000018575.html

Very interesting quote in it from Norm Hudecki, a "retired Valvoline oil researcher and among the best-known lubrication experts in the nation":

"Most oil will last probably between 12,000 and 15,000 miles, even if it is in a vehicle driven [in the city] by somebody like a cab driver or police. If you are out on the highway, most oils will last 15,000 miles with no problem," Hudecki said.

Sort of sounds like what Honda has been saying, oil changes more frequent than what is recommended in the manual is not necessary.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    But the point is you SHOULD NOT have to change oil every 3,000 miles in a modern automobile, especially when Toyota's manual even recommend a longer interval. BTW, Toyota is also attributing part of the problem to people using places such as Jiffy Lube.
  • george00george00 Member Posts: 81
    After extensive comparisons, I bought a Camry LE4. It is very quiet, smooth, and stable. I wouldn't enter it in a drag race, but I wouldn't enter myself in a drag race either. I have no trouble merging onto a highway with a 65 mph limit - which becomes 75 mph a couple of miles up the road. I also like little things, like the fact that the turn signal doesn't make a lot of noise. The one problem I do have is with the seat. After a couple of hours behind the wheel, my back hurt. So I bought sheepskin covers, but they only helped a little. So I took it to an auto upholsterer who sliced bits off the bolsters - and made the problem much worse. So I took it to another upholsterer. The first thing he did was to point out a hard metal bar which could be felt through the factory foam and was cutting into my shoulder blades. He took that out and I felt an immediate improvement. I should have left well enough alone, but the upholsterer said he could make the seat still better by adding foam in the same area, which he did. The result is so bad I've had to order a new foam insert from Toyota (which they don't have in stock). When it comes, I think I will simply have it slipped on without the metal bar, and without the hog rings which attach the foam to the frame via the metal bar. Hopefully, that will fix things. If not, I may try leather, though the upholsterer says he doesn't see why that would help. If the seat is still uncomfortable, I may be looking for a new car, which would really be a shame, as I will of course take a financial beating, and besides I really like this car - except for the seat.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    My 97 Camry LE4 has been well documented through it's trip into the dealer service area for the past 1.5 weeks now. They are having the head machined and new valve seals, the works, put in for the smoke puff at startup.
    I DID change my oil religiously every 3K miles at the local Jiffy-Lube. I have kept all my receipts, which has amounted to quite a wad of paper at 76K miles now! So, everyone can make their own conclusion on whether changing oil more often will resolve the valve seal issue I have.
    All I know is, WITH THE TOYOTA EXTRA CARE warranty I purchased up front, this whole deal is covered at zero deductible! Without it, they would not have paid for it at 76K...at this point.
    Only up to 60K would it normally be covered.
    That's my experience. PS: Looks like I won't get car back until NEXT Monday now.
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    One thing you need to be careful about when messing with seats, e.g. sheepskin covers, re- upholstering, is any airbags that may be contained in the seat itself. You may not have this concern on your model, but on some, the side airbags deploy from the sides of the seatbacks, versus the headliner or door pilar.
  • gregmartinezgregmartinez Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone installed the factory nose mask for the 2002 Camry? I have and the top hood piece starts to flutter at 40-50 mph. The top edge of the hood piece does not stay tight against the hood. Is this normal? The bottom piece fits perfectly and tight.
    Thanks in advance
    Greg
    Thanks for the response. No, I don't have airbags in the seat. The seat has the power option, but that would only cause problems if the entire seat were taken out for recovering - something which does concern me if I want to go with leather. But the foam insert slips on and off while the seat is in place after just clipping the hog rings and lifting up the fabric covering. And it's only the seat-back that is causing pain, the seat-bottom is fine. The thing is, if the seat causes pain, then everything else good about the car is irrelevant. What really bothers me is that I tested the car very carefully - 3 20-minute road-tests - and then found the car comfortable for around 500 miles of ownership. Only then did it begin to cause pain. Either the seat changed (an upholsterer thought that was possible - that the foam covering the metal bar became compressed) or my back did. I guess if I have to buy a replacement I will have to rent candidate cars for a month at a time (if possible - not all models are rented) before making a decision.
  • ralpiralpi Member Posts: 26
    gregmartinez: Unfortunately I cannot help you on the flutter, I do not have a mask on my Camry. But I was wondering: are you happy with the looks? My car is Lunar Mist, and with trips to mountains/wooded areas this summer, bugs/debris usually find their way to front of car. How much did the mask cost?
    Regards
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Do you by chance own a Civic ?

My wife's car is a Civic...great car.

I would buy the Accord except that I don't fit comfortably in it...I do fit into the Civic...all 6'3" of me.

The Corolla is likely too small for a family of 4.

I am leaning towards the Alima S...more options & stronger engine for a lower price.

The knocks on the Altima appear to be road noise & a cheap looking interior.....that beats engine gunk
    I agree, doing oil changes at every 3000 miles to mask an underlying problem is not right.

If the book says 7500 mile changes, then the vehicle should perform wel within those recommendations, if not, then change the book.

Why should you have to increase your maintenance costs by 2 1/2 times? Especially when other cars aren't having the problem with the recommended oil changes.
  • gregmartinezgregmartinez Member Posts: 6
    Ralpi,
    My car is also Lunar Mist and the mask looks good on the car. I'd be happy to email pics of it on the car if you'd like. I do the Orlando to Miami Beach trip quite often, 450 miles round trip, and Florida Love Bugs that come out twice a year are known to devour paint. I paid $125.00 for the mask from the dealer where I bought my car. Yesterday was my first test to Miami.
    Definitely a big help and well worth it!
    I plan to use the mask only on the long trips and not around town. I have concerns about uneven paint fading especially in the brutal Florida sun.
    Hope this helps.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    engine gunk does not affect the the 02 Camrys... I believe the water jacket design has been modified in the carryover V6, and the 2.4 is an all new engine, based on the aluminum block used in the 2.0 RAV which has no incidence of engine sludge.
    ~alpha
  • civicwcivicw Member Posts: 135
    You're right, I own a Civic which is due for replacement. Since we also have a van, we don't need a large family sedan, and I like the new Corolla more than the new Civic(never thought that would happen). I find that the Corolla is roomy and comfortable enough in the city for a family, and the van is best for longer trips.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...the new '03 Corolla is head-and-shoulders better than the current gen Civic. No comparison...
    Too bad Toyota didn't use the Corolla styling for the Camry. The Corolla has a cohesive look to it. The Camry looks like it was styled by committee, with no one agreeing on one theme.
  • soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    Hummmm !!! :-)
  • hawks1hawks1 Member Posts: 57
    I've been looking at the XLE 4-cylinder but have noticed that all XLE's cars with the leather seats seem to have this option #8 which includes a power moonroof, etc. I could care less about a moonroof - I just want the leather seats and the aluminum alloy wheels. Can only these options be ordered? If not, does anyone have an idea what aftermarket leather would cost? Also, can anyone give me some indication as to what gas mileage you're getting with the '02 4-cylinder automatic?
  • canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    Are you saying there will be sludge free for 2002 Camry (V6 and 4IL) ?
    Where can I find the information about modification on 2002 V6 engine?
    Does 3000 miles oil change schedule apply for new engines ?
    I have the 2002 LE4 automatic. I make 27 mpg in mixed highway/local driving. As for the seats, do you want leather for looks, comfort, or both? Have you compared cloth on a 2002 Camry (XLE or LE) with leather? I have the cloth, but am considering aftermarket leather, so wonder what your experiences have been.
    I am only saying that they should be sludge free, not that they WILL be. (I fully expect the problem is remedied though.. it is imprudent for a major corporation to offer a free fix to those who can provide reasonable maintenance WHILE STILL producing a possibly flawed design). None of Toyota's other engine families, for example, the 1.8 in Celica, Matrix, Corolla, MR2, or the 3.0I6 in the GS300 and IS 300, show any signs of sludging. The interval listed in the maintenance log for our 02 Camry LE 4clyinder is 5000 or 7500 miles, depending on conditions. Because we do alot of stop and go and short trips, we follow the 5000 miles suggestion. As I said before, the 2.4 is completely unrelated to the sludge affected engines. The V6 is, but unfortunately I cannot provide you with a link explaining the differences in design... I know somewhere on this board a while back a link to a mechanic's interpretation of the problem was posted, but I'm not sure which post.
    ~alpha
  • hawks1hawks1 Member Posts: 57
    I'd like the leather seats for a combination of both looks and comfort. However, I just can't see spending $2k plus just to get them with an option package containing other options (like a moonroof) that I simply don't want. A friend told me just today that I could probably get decent aftermarket leather for around $800-$900. Also, thanks for the good info on the L4 auto's gas mileage. It sounds impressive. Just took my first test drive a couple of days ago with the new L4 auto and was greatly impressed. The engine was very responsive and the new 4-speed auto tranny was buttery smooth. Also very impressed with the quiteness of this car. I've also test driven the new Altima, which was also very nice. However, it's chintzy interior turned me off.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I confess that I do not know much about the "sludge" issue but I would like to. If this problem affects the V6, what caused it in this engine and what has Toyota done to correct this so-called fault? I need some technical information here. I heard rumors that Toyota changed the engine a few years back so it could run LEV but this created a higher than normal engine temperature which might have caused the oil to create sludge. Was this correct? If the change in the design was made, has it now been changed so that the engine now runs cooler?
  • artwisartwis Member Posts: 66
    Only Toyota knows if there are changes to the 2002 V6 and they aren't talking much! If they did make changes to say the water passages some would take that as a correction of a problem that could have been the cause of the sludged engines. I don't think Toyota will ever admit they have a problem and just sit back and hope that most won't get sludge till the warranty has run out and in the meantime just refuse to take proof of oil changes from non-Toyota shops. But then again some are so in love with their camrys that they just figure this is a minor glitch and even if it happens to them they will still believe that they have the finest most reliable vehicle on the road LOL.
  • mimi919mimi919 Member Posts: 85
    I am in a similar situation like you are as I also wanted the 4 cylinder XLE with the leather interior and I soon came to realize that Toyota only offers leather on the XLE in option package #8.
    The leather package by Toyota is more then just leather on the seats as it also on the door panels as well giving the car the luxury interior look and feel and I think you will find that if you price that as an after market instalation from a reputable company that you will pay between $1000-$1400 for a quality job and when you add the alloy wheels you will only be saving approx. $500.00-$900.00 dollars for deleting the power moonroof and the deluxe upgraded sound system.(TMV for option #8 approx. $2450.00)
    even more important then the cost savings is the fact that anytime you add after market equiptment or accessories and a problem occurs under warranty they may very well blame the problem on aftermarket item and refuse to cover the cost of the repair.....example...side door panels need to be removed to install leather and a month later you develope a rubbing sound as you put your window up or down the dealer may very well refuse the repair under your warranty saying the panel was put on improperly....(I found that out the hard way).
    Well thats just my opionion but whichever way you end up going I wish you the best of luck with your new Camry purchase.
  • jweaver1jweaver1 Member Posts: 25
    I’d like to share my observations, and comments on the oil sludge issue and Toyota’s handling of the problem. I had ordered a 2002 Camry SE-V6 for my wife in early February, and expect to receive the car within the next week or two. After returning from vacation two weeks after placing my order, I discovered that the sludge had hit the fan, so to speak. I quickly e-mailed Toyota with some specific questions:
    1. What changes have been made to the 2002 cylinder heads from the 2000 model?
    2. If I change my oil and filter at the owners manual recommended intervals (at a Toyota dealer, for proof of compliance) and develop a sludge problem during the 6-year/ 60,000 mile power train warranty, will my repairs be covered under the warranty?
    3. Who makes the oil filters for the Camry, and what are the efficiencies at the various micron sizes?
    Here were their answers:
    “Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We appreciate you contacting us with your inquiry.
    Engine oil gel is typically an indication of infrequent or improper maintenance and because of this is not a warrantable condition. Engine oil gel is not specific to Toyota vehicles. The Scheduled Maintenance Guide recommends changing your engine oil and filter based on mileage and /or time intervals, whichever comes first. For normal driving conditions, your engine oil and filter will need to be replaced at least twice a year.”
    “We have not made any changes to the cylinder heads of the V6 Camry between the 2000 and 2002 models. The reason engine oil gel forms is due to lack of maintenance or improper maintenance and not due to the design of the cylinder heads.”
    “We apologize if our previous response did not answer your questions.
    If you maintain your vehicle according to the Scheduled Maintenance Guide you should not experience engine oil gelling (sludge). We have not come across one case of a customer maintaining their vehicle according to the Scheduled Maintenance Guide and experiencing engine oil gel.
    If you do experience a concern in the future, please contact our Customer Assistance Center at 800-331-4331 so we may review your concern.”
    “We appreciate you taking the time to contact us with your inquiry. We don't release vendor information, nor are the efficiencies of the filters at the different micron sizes available.”

I also talked to several Toyota dealers about the sludge problem, and one told me that the oil change interval that they recommend is 5000 miles for normal service and 3500 miles for severe service. Another dealer told me that as far as he knows the only thing that is happening is that Toyota is correcting an error in the service manual!! Apparently it was an error in the oil change frequency that went unnoticed for three years!!! I think that the only reason that the 2002 model Camrys haven’t sludged up yet is because they don’t have enough miles on their engines yet. With a decreased oil change interval of 5000 miles max., using petroleum motor oil, or the use of synthetic oil, they probably won’t have a problem. I think that Toyota needs to realize that sludge formation is not the same as sludge accumulation. By increasing the frequency of the oil changes, the sludge is removed before it is allowed to accumulate to dangerous levels. This doesn’t solve the problem of why the excessive amount of sludge is forming in the first place. If there is a design problem with, say the PCV system, or the compression rings, or the higher cylinder head temperatures, or head gaskets leaking coolant into the oil, or whatever, sludge will form. For the most part this formation is beyond the control of the average car owner. --- On a brand new car that I haven’t even taken delivery of yet, why won’t they commit to honor their power train warranty, if I follow their own maintenance schedule? I expected an answer something like “if you maintain it properly, we’ll stand behind it.” Why won’t they give me information on their oil filter? I have half a mind to cancel my order for the Camry, and buy a Passat instead. That’s my $.02 worth.
  • sport33sport33 Member Posts: 19
    What is the correct oil filter for a 2002 4cyl Camry? The one I removed is a "90915-10004" Toyota brand from the factory (new car), however the replacement from the dealer is a "90915-YZZA2", and a little shorter in length... about 3/8". Please help, thx!
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    For what my .02 is worth, my old 97 Camry 4 banger is STILL in the dealer shop having the head machined and new valve seals put in. Again, I did purchase the Extended warranty, which is what's saving my tail right now at 76K miles. But if I hadn't taken out the extended warranty, I still would be going after Toyota since my smoking at startup started appearing early last summer and I was told it was "NORMAL" by two local service managers at Toy at that time (when the car had about 62K on it.. The response that jweaver1 details just frustrates me more on how they try to smooth things out. I have a stack of receipts of oil changes every 3K miles....it didn't save my engine from the smoking!! When I called 1-800-Toy, they tried schmoozing me too. Apologized if I had this problem, etc....but THEY didn't speak to the affect of remedying the situation. Only by me pushing it with the local dealer again did THEY finally dig into the engine and now they've had my car for TWO WEEKS. They did give me a 2001 Corolla to use free of charge, but again, this is due to Toyota ExtraCare.

I swear that I will get an extended warranty on my next Toy vehicle too since I keep my cars 9 yrs. or so and at least it gets me past the 6yr/100K mark. Toyota quality is slipping a little from what it use to be...but they are still a notch or two about the American makes yet.
    I'm surprised you would still consider another Toyota unless they come clean and take full responsibility for this sludge issue.

Jweaver: I know if it was me, I would be mighty hesitant to go through with the purchase if this issue still unresolved. Having a problem is one thing, but Toyota's refusal to acknowledge it as a problem should send alarm bells going off everywhere.
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    I have a 95' Camry V6-LE Sedan. The car has 145,000 mile and runs great. I try to keep up with the sceduled maintenance as best I can. One problem I'm having though is that the acceleration seems to be sluggish. I've taken it to a good mechanic and they have told me that the car i sjust getting old and does not run like ti used to. For some reason I just can not accept that answer. I'm looking into having the engine cleaning, where they clean the deposits on the pistons and combustion chamber to make the car run better. Am I wasting my money on this procedure or should I be doing something else like installing different sparkplugs (off the top of my head)? Has anyone done something to their camry in which they have noticed an increase in horsepower and fuel efficiency?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    do lose power over time. I've had several high mileage vehicles and at some point over 150K they lose a little speed. My V6 Camrys had plenty of power from the get-go, but they did slow down a bit. Comparing, I had a new 97 V6 when my 92 had about 170K miles. They had made some changes between the two anyway, but there was a distinct performance difference when pressing the engines. I usually run premium once they get into the higher mileage range as that seems to help.
    With my first car, a 94 Civic purhased at 89K miles, I had the engine cleaning performed at 97K. About two weeks later, the head gasket failed. The Honda tecnician said that cleaning the engine as I did with a high pressure wash may have indeed cleaned it to the point of dislodging any deposits that may have been plugging the cracks in the gasket. I do not know how much validity there is to this statement, or if he was just trying to defend the engine from any indication of failure, being a Honda product and all. (And considering that I had the power flush done at my local mechanic, along with an oil change... the only frekin time I didnt go to Honda... oh well)
    Anyways, I'm not sold on the engine cleaning for high milage cars. (I believe it is recommended that a flush is first performed at 60K or so, but I'm not positive.)
    My $.02
    alpha
  • william00william00 Member Posts: 6
    I've decided to buy a 2002 SE V6. But I have a concern. I keep hearing about a "shudder" in the auto trans. (Motorweek - Long Term Test) Or more specifically, "We did notice the transmission's tendency to stutter if the driver didn't maintain throttle at 40-50 miles-per-hour. Roll off a little, and it starts hunting for the right gear." (Motorweek - Road Test.)

And then again, "When traveling at highway speed, I lifted my foot off the accelerator and there was a pronounced jolt in the drivetrain....I've since heard from another party who experienced the same in another Camry." (Joe Wiesenfelder, Cars.com Road Test.)

What is going on here? Is this a cause for concern? (Two early 2002 Camry reviews - L.A. Times and one other - described a "drive-by-wire" acceleration system, which "uses electronic signals to replace the mechanical linkage between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body.") Is this being used on the 2002 Camry and if so can this be at fault? CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME A HAND WITH THIS ONE?
  • hgoliohgolio Member Posts: 6
    I contracted to purchase a 2002 Camry LE today. When discussing financing with the business manager, he asked if I would like to purchase the Classic Prepaid Maintenance Program. He gave me a booklet to read and when I return to pick up the car in a few days, he will discuss the price etc. Can anyone tell me what a good price would be for this program? Thanks
    jweaver1 - Interesting post.

Toyota's response to the sludge problems has apparently been that there is only cause of sludge and that is improper maintenance.

However, there are actually other causes of sludge. For example, an engine that runs too hot, or a bad emissions control system can lead to early sludge build up. See the link below:

"If the crankcase is not adequately ventilated, the motor oil will quickly become contaminated and heavy sludge accumulations will begin to form"

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/engineering/tsb_94-2r.html

No matter what the price ask if you buy and follow the maintenance plan will you be covered if your engine sludges (gels) up. There answer would be very interesting.
  • gp4gp4 Member Posts: 9
    if I change oil myself will my waranty still be good?
    Go read the "Toyota sludge" topics. It seems as though Toyota won't even look at receipts from independent shops or quick oil change places when their engines sludge up and just say "lack of maintenance" or "you can't prove they ACTUALLY changed the oil" so I doubt if they would honor self changes. Think twice about a 1997-2002 Toyota unless it is a 2002 with the new 4cylinder engine.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Toyota owns a chunk of Denso, which makes its oil filters. Purolator makes some of their filters also.

People in edmunds are willing to spend $10 on a Mobil 1 filter, and will recommend it.

I personally used Fram Toughgard filters (not to be confused with the crappy Extra Guard), on my old Camry V6.

I personally change my own oil regardless of the warranty.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    "changing oil by gp4"

I can't speak for Toyota's policy, but the owner's manual for my "01 Mazda Millenia specifically says you can do all your own maintenance and keep your warranty in effect.

Of course you would have to keep all receipts, and it would be a good idea to keep a log. Mazda nicely provides an online maintenance log for Mazda owners. Can't even lose that if your computer crashes.
    I too will continue to change my oil and oil filter. There are a couple of reasons: I enjoy working on my car, I know that the job will be done right(old oil completely drained, no stripped plugs), and it certainly is cheaper. I cannot believe that Toyota or any manufacturer will deny a warranty claim unless they can come up with proof that the oil was not changed regularly. I still maintain that 3000 miles or 3 months is still the best thing you can do for your engine. Todays engines run hotter than they used to. I realize that oils have become better too but they can be recycled so what is the harm in changing it every 3000 miles?
    Oil Filter: I read a report several months ago by a man who tested oil filters. Two filters that he stated were very good were: Purolator Premium Plus and AC Delco Duraguard. I am sure these are not the only 2 but it is what I buy from now on. They can be bought at very reasonable prices.
    Ah, a Mazda Millenia owner; just the person I have been wanting to talk too. I am in the market for a new car. My list now includes the Lexus ES300, Acura TL 3.2, Toyota Camry, and Infiniti I35. I have heard just a little about the Millenia but I understand prices are 6-8 thousand off of MSRP. That runs around 22K I believe. How do you like yours? What other models did you consider? How does the Millenia compare to the above-mentioned models? Any troubles? How is the mpg? Did you buy it new? Any comments would be appreciated. I think the Millenia is also made in Japan which does please me.
  • bbhavsarbbhavsar Member Posts: 8
    Does anybody know a good site to buy cloth seat covers for '02 camry? Any help is appreciated. Thanx.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    First let me refer you to the Mazda Millenia thread, so we don't tie up the Toyota discussion. There are fewer of us there, but you will find a lot of good reading on the Millenia. For the most part, we are a pretty loyal group to our cars.

Briefly I will say, I am extremely pleased with my '01 Millenia that I bought new in Sept "01 for $21680. It now has almost 5000 very pleasant and troublefree miles on it, and is a great bargain for a fine car.

The only repeated complaints I have seen over there are that some people find the 2.5 V-6 with 170 HP is not powerful enough for them. I find it more than enough power for my use, and great for highway driving at about 2750 RPM at 65 MPH. The other thing is that Mazda automatic transmissions shift somewhat differently under some conditions than say a GM or Toyota. It is however a bulletproof engine transmission combination. Come on over there, and you will find plenty of willing answers to your questions.

By the way, I drove Maxima, Avalon, Camry and others before buying. I find the Millenia at least as pleasant, if not more so than any of those.
  • bbhavsarbbhavsar Member Posts: 8
    Does anybody know a good site to buy cloth seat covers for '02 camry? Any help is appreciated. Thanx.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I am not a fan of the "Classic" pre-paid maintenance program. I work in the F&I office of a Toyota dealership and I will not even offer it. Now, the Premium plan is another issue. That one is more expensive, but it includes much more, including tire rotations, 15K, 30K and 45K maintenance. That 30K maintenance can cost as much as $350 on a Camry all by itself. If you get the 4/55K plan, the cost should be between $895 and $995.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Can be purchased dirt cheap at a Wal-mart. It's only $2 to $3.
  • mimi919mimi919 Member Posts: 85
    Your post #3245 refered to a 30,000 mile maintenance at a cost of approx. $350.00...is that a required maintenance by Toyota for the warranty or a suggested maintenance by the dealer.
    In the past I have always taken out the best 100,000 mile warranty the dealer offers and other then oil changes,hoses,belts,and tire rotations I have said no to all the costly dealer recommended maintenance services that were not required for the extended warranty and by doing so it pretty much more then paid for the cost of my warranty which in turn covered me for 100,000 miles.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    We're looking for any woman who has recently bought or driven a hybrid car.

If you fit this description and care to share your input on the subject, please contact Kristen Gerencher at kgerencher@marketwatch.com or Jeannine Fallon at jfallon@edmunds.com by noon EST Tuesday, March 19.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Sorry have to disagree on the pre paid maint plan. Way overpriced when you look at what is actually performed versus what is inspected. Up until 55k the only things that need replacing is oil, filters, (under $10 in parts) tranny fluid, ($10 in parts) and coolant, maybe, (again $10 in parts.

What is worth $800-$900 Maybe a dozen oil changes (dealer cost $120) do it yourself about the same dealer normally $24.95 X 12 or $300. Inspect, inspect, inspect when the inspections can be done by yourself and are rarely done by the tech anyway this is a huge ripoff but please excuse the word ripoff that is my opinion only.
  • herbiedogherbiedog Member Posts: 16
    I live in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. Looking to buy a Camry-not sure yet on which model or options. I would appreciate comments on recent Camry buyers about what they paid for their car. Since you don't know exactly what I'll be getting could you simply give me a general idea if you paid invoice-some dollar above or some dollor below invoice. Thank you.