Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Can someone please post some digital pictures of the new Camry when they are at the dealerships this week. I am dying to see them. From everything I hear it is a knockout but I have not seen good pictures. Would appreciate it very much. Thanks.
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    You claimed you have taken pictures of the 2002 Camry and would post them here after developing.

Have you changed your mind?
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    In my previous post, I meant to say my sister bought an Acura CL, not TL. Sorry for any confusion.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I was wondering how the aging 2001 Accord could possibly compete with the new 2002 Camry, but I se how now.
    At the same $30K for a fully loaded XLE V6 with navigation, you could actually get a "new" 2001 Lexus ES300 with Value Package after discounting.
    Without navigation a loaded 2002 Camry XLEV6 will be about $28K if it is $30K with it.
    Even if you get a less loaded model with $2000 less in options, that it still $26K.
    The fully loaded Accord with 200HP, leather, moonroof, dual power seats, homelink, 6-disc CD, alloy wheels and on and on stickers for $25.5 and can be had for $23K plus discount financing.
    A TL with navigation is available discounted to a little less than the MSRP of a topped out 2002 Camry.
    If the dealers are planning zero discounts on all new 2002 Camrys, then it will not be competetive at all.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Just got our 2002 Camry in, 2 Le's and an XLE. Keep in mind the 97-2001 XLE stickered for around 28-29k fully loaded AND we didn't have a problem selling those. The 2002 has MORE standard equipment, more options available and tops out at 30k, we won't have any problems selling these either. The new Camry just raised the benchmark (AGAIN) for it class.

: )

Mackabee
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    The poster a few posts back said the loaded 2002 XLE he saw was $29,500. Was that without nav? If so, is it about $31,500 with nav?
    The navigation system package is $2,120.00 on the SE trim level and $1,830.00 on the XLE's. This package would take the place of several other packages and deletes the 6disc in dash player. Only a single cd player with cassette is available with the nav option. For example in place of GV (package#8 which includes d/p power seats, leather/am/fm/6disc JBL speakers P215/60r16 tires and 16 in. alloy wheels, and sunroof) you could get GW package #9 which includes d/p power seats, leather, Nav system, 3-in-1 JBL w/6speakers P215/60r16 tires and alloy wheels. Package #8 is $2,320.00 and package #9 is $3,950.00 so with the Nav system you are looking at an XLE for around $31,500.00

Mackabee
    Maxamillion1, there are no radio controls on the steering wheel. The prices on the option packages for the LE and SE are as follows:
    GH (LE only) $585.00
    GI package 2 $875.00
    GJ package #3 $2,065.00
    GK package 4 $$3,115.00 SE V6 only
    GL package 5 $3,695.00 SE V6 only
    GT package 6 $4,745.00 SE V6 only
    GU package 7 $1,150.00 SE V6 only

some of these packages cannot be ordered together as they conflict with some equipment. I'll post the equipment content later tonight.

Mackabee
  • I really like the look of 02 Camry, but please, 31.5K for XLE, it's only Toyota Camry.
    We need reliable appliacnces not a fancy toy.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Thank You for the prices
  • sinjin-dog,

Then do not buy a $31500.00 camry and buy a $20,000 camry.

See, solved your problem.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    I guess if I get a Camry, it will be a SE 4 cylinder. Is the Moonroof a single option my itself.
  • I own a 2001 Camry LE V6. This car had been repaired four times in the dealership since check engine light was on. Four of my friends bought the same model and got the same problem. So, I do not recommend to purchase 2001 LE V6 model.
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    First the good stuff:

Great styling inside and out. The interior is by far the best I have seen period. The cloth interior on the SE was very sport like and the dash instrument cluster was way cool. The car drove like a dream, better than my 93 Lexus SC400.

I am 6'1 265lbs and was very comfortable with lots of leg room with 6 inches between my knees and the dash board. Everything was at my finger tips and stereo was excellent. The center arm rest was big enough inside to hold a six-pack.

The bad:

Price? 24,800, no V-6 see ya.

Needs a V-6, the 4 banger was fine for a base model but this car is weak with out the V6. Would much rather give up sun roof and fancy wheels for the V6. Back seat entry was about the same as old Camry getting in and out, unlike the Maxima which is great.

I told the salesman he can call me in 4 weeks after I drive the 2002 Altima.

I think Toyota has another winner here as long Nissan's Altima is priced accordingly.
  • Just got back from test driving a 2002 Desert Sand XLEV6 Camry!! It is a very nice
    car!! It was fully loaded except it did not have the "head air bag curtain". The dashboard is
    pushed further away from the driver as Honda does with the Accord. Makes you think there
    is more space in front, which I believe there probably is. The dashboard is two-toned, just like
    in the ES300 Lexus. Very upscale looking. The automatic air conditioning was easy to use and
    there is a trip computer with a center dash layout, with the controls on the steering wheel. Seems like these buttons would be better used for the radio,(but that's my preference). You sit much higher in this car, just like in the Avalon. The ride was very smooth and refined with no wind noice noticable, but then I only got it up to 60mph. I checked the engine response and accelerated from 30 to 60 and found the engine made more noice than my 99LEV6.(which I cannot hear at all). The ride was perfect for me. Very controlled, but smoooooooth!!! The radio was a 6 speaker setup that was adequate, but not anything special. The sticker was$
    28950.00. OUCH!!! This is a VERY nice car, but I have trouble with those numbers. Lots of other cars in that price range (Acura TL, Maxima, Passat GLX) The Acura and Passat will have better warranties being( 4yrs./50,000 miles). But I do like the looks. Finally the interior has some class to it!!! Digicam was in my RX300, so I didn't have the digicam for pix. But all dealers have at least one for you to drive and enjoy. Hope this helps!!!
  • ludacrisludacris Posts: 185
    Did the dash look similar to the released pix of the ES300? Is the car actually taller (like the ECHO) or you just sit taller? Man I still haven't seen one in person : (
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    People on the board are getting really worked up over prices, but isnt it true that for the 4th generation Camry only about 10-20% (depending on region) were sold as V6 models, let alone XLE V6 models? I really wouldnt worry about the top end fully loaded price of 31.5K for a Camry, cause how many are actually going to be sold that way? Even so, for that price you're getting features that other competing vehicles can't offer.. like the Nav system, VSC, Curtain Side Impact Airbags, etc. So my question is... are all those who are posting on this board really interested in the loaded XLE V6? Cause it seems to be an interesting majority if that's the case. If you think its too much of a premium for a Camry, go buy a TL.

The only pricing post that has me concerned is the $24,800 for an SE 4clyinder. I agree that a $23,700(plus dest) SE V6 (all autos..grr..) with comparative fewer boxes checked off on the options list would be a better choice.

Mackabee (if you dont mind) how much, including destination, is an LE 4cly automatic with ABS, pwr driver's seat, keyless entry, and CD audio? (kinda similar to the basic package available on 2001 LEs)?

~alpha
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The official pricing press release can be read at Toyota.com, for those who are interested.

from the home page:
    click About Toyota
    click News
    scroll down to "Product"
    ~alpha
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    I've owned 3 Accords, including our current '01 EX V6 sedan [a superb car], and a total of 5 Camrys. I look forward to a drive in the new car, because I am especially interested to see if the new seats fix the thigh-support [lack thereof] that drove me out of our last Camry.

I think it is premature to wave your arms too much at this stage over pricing. HOWEVER, I would also observe to Cliffy and Mac and the other insiders on the board that my first reaction also was one of disbelief. Now, we veterans all know that very soon [inside of 3-6 mos], the marketplace will dictate the price of this car, not Toyota's window sticker. That was reality yesterday, and it will be reality again tomorrow.

And the real bread-and-butter will not be loaded XLEs, but moderately optioned LEs, as always. Having said that, if your transaction prices in the real world vary more than [my very experienced guess] about 5% from the norm for this class, then it's going to be rebate time again before Easter gets here.

One of the things to keep in mind about Toyota's MSRPs is that they don't hesitate to use rebates [historically], whereas Honda considers them the kiss of death. Thus Honda retail stickers are set at a level that will almost always undercut their Toyota counterparts, though this is not written in stone anywhere. Honda is willing to subvent leases and discount financing, but they don't do rebates.

Prediction: if a moderately well equipped LE V6 is going to sell for real-world, discounted, actual transaction prices 6 months from now for more than $23k or so, then you will have a roaring bonafide hit. Our '01 Accord EX V6, which I can tell you after nearly a year in our hands is one great piece of work, stickered for $25.5 with everything except curtain head bags, and transaction prices are $22.7 - $23.5k. For that price, the only tradeoffs vs the current Camry were a bit more noise [not much mind you, after the changes that Honda made this year], and a bit firmer ride...pretty traditional differences between the two marques. Oh, and my car was considerably more comfortable and roomy than the Camry.

Now the new Camry is roomier, hopefully more comfortable for larger adults, and I'm sure is even more refined. That will be worth something...until the new Accord comes out in 12 months, never mind the new Altima in 3 weeks. But I too predict that Toyota will find it has overreached on the MSRPs, and watch for rebates before the end of the first model year...say by summer of '02. Trying to sustain transaction premiums over the competition of more than $1k or so is going to be very difficult. I'll be an interested spectator...and an eager test driver as soon as the initial hoo-hah blows over and dealer inventory starts to build.

Anyway, to all of you worried about pricing - stay calm and be patient...the marketplace will dictate the right answer, as it always does.