Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Stratus

Comments

• vikes39vikes39 Posts: 4
    Basically the car is running, but very poorly and I am having a heck of a time diagnosing the problem.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Big difference running or not. My daughter had bad plug wire on her 03, on warranty dealer changed one wire, miles less than 36K. Noticed it mostly at idle, would run idle rough at times. :)
  • amandasamandas Posts: 1
    I have a '01 stratus with 104,000 miles. Last week I got the oil changed and a couple days later the engine started knocking. It at first only did it when I started the engine and when it would idle. Now it does it all the time. What can cause this to happen? :confuse:
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Have you checked your oil dipstick to see how much oil is in the engine.
  • I have a 1995 Stratus with a vexing intermittent problem. For large swathes of time, the car starts and runs perfectly. Then, all of a sudden, after driving it, out of nowhere, it decides not to start. I'll turn the key, and the engine will just crank and crank until it's blue in the face. This problem has occured twice, both at inopportune times and with no warning. If the car is left alone for a few hours, the problem magically goes away, making it embarrassing to call the AAA, because the tow truck driver ends up starting it right up.

I have taken it to a couple of mechanics, and have gotten different suggestions, as no one seems to be able to re-create the problem. One said that it could be the cam shaft sensor. Unfortunately, the particular engine configuration I have requires that the entire distributor be changed in order to change the sensor. He wanted to charge me $900 just for the part, and he didn't even know for sure that was the problem. Great. I don't want to throw that kind of money into this unless I know it's gonna fix it. Is this going to be one of those problems where I just get something changed, drive it for a while and hope I don't get stuck--ad infinitum?

This car has become a problem child; I don't know what to do with it. I don't drive it much anymore because I don't want to get stuck, so it sits parked out on the street, gathering dust, pine needles, and spiderwebs.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
  • I have a 2004 dodge stratus sxt sedan. Is there any lowering kits I can put on my car? Eibach discontinued there's.
  • I have a 2004 stratus that does the same thing and I took it to the dodge dealership and they said the couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was wondering if you got yours fixed and if so what did they do?
  • Pay close attention to the noise, see if it happens whenever there is no strain on the transmission, like breaking or letting off the gas some. My 2004 Stratus is making the same noise, the dealer told me it was slack in the transmission, and I need to take it back to be looked at by the tranny guy. I want a new transmission, after all, the noise is coming from inside the transmission, there could be damage.
  • dd718dd718 Posts: 1
    Hi All -
    This is my first post on the Stratus; have had many on the Durango! Anyway, my husband has a 2001 R/T and the ignition key won't come out. It started happening once in a while and now it hasn't come out for days. He was looking underneath for some switch but didn't readily find what he was looking for. Does anyone know where this switch may be that is defective and won't release the key?
  • lvr71lvr71 Posts: 1
    I was not given a manual, so I do not know how to use my key remote. Any tips?
  • has any one ever replaced the drivers side power mirror on an 2004 Stratus...Mine was damaged and needs replacment. What problems will I encounter ??
  • Hi there,

I am experiencing the same exact problem as the user in message #138. I haven't put a lot of money into the problem yet, except I did replace the ignition switch. I have the 1995 Dodge Stratus 2.4. I am getting really tired of having to replace the ignition fuse everytime i need to start my car. I have talked to people who think that the cellonoid in the starter might be bad? or that it might be a bad fuel pump? Does anyone know what is causing this problem and what I should do to fix it.

Please resond or email me at robe2040@wlu.ca

Thanks,

Matt
  • I have a 95 Stratus and the starter was replaced three weeks ago. The A/C just stopped cooling and blows hot air. The dash gauges don't work and the air bag light is on. The lights, turn signals work. Checked the fuses and they all look good. The radio works when it wants too, mostly never. The car only has 48,000 miles, driven by my wife 1 mile to work and the grocery store on weekends. The horn came on and wouldn't stop so had that replaced in the steering wheel after having to disconnect the battery to avoid the nieghbors ire.
    What is the high side A/C switch and where is it located? How should I proceed to troubleshoot the electrical? Thanks, Tom
  • Has anyone's antifreeze turned to what looks like oil on a '99 V6? Mine did a few years ago around 72k (then flushed it of course). But now, at 95k, some of my freeze plugs are leaking and maybe 1 of the heads. Anyone ever hear of something like this? Or, any V6 thats had a freeze plug problem?
  • ycatsycats Posts: 1
    It's a solenoid in the column..............I had this problem on my '98 Grandprix GTP. My father-in-law showed me an opening/hole under the column....I would insert my middle finger up in there and press toward the front of the car. There should be a button in there that, once pressed, will allow you to slide the keys out.
    The car still had this issue when I traded it off. I didn't want to spend three-hundred dollars to fix it.
  • etmiletmil Posts: 1
    I recently hit a deer with my car. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find aftermarket hoods and body kits.
  • have a 2000 Straus 2.4 engine it has stopped charging
    replaced alternator the new on is putting out 14.5 volts when tested but will not charge battery tried another used ECM but still have the same problem
    has anyone had this problem
  • i have a 2002 stratus and was wondering,. :confuse: ... my power on my heater is working funny it will not work on setiings 1-2 barely blow on 3 and on high on 4 dod you no what is causing this so i can replace it myself also does anybody else cd player skip when it cold and plays fine when it gets warm mine does this even with a new cd thank you :)
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    Explain not charging battery, you don't read 14.5 V at the battery with DVOM. If 14.5 V to the battery then bad battery.