Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Stratus

Comments

• have you had your rocker arms tighten up sounds like your vavle have problem
  • have you had your (EGR) SYSTEM CHECK
  • DO YOU SMELL GAS BECAUSE THAT COULD YOUR SPARK PLUGS
  • my breeze rev's high and trans jumps what could cause that
  • jasonmwcjasonmwc Posts: 6
    I have a 96 with similar problems. The car would just stall while driving or taking off from a stop. I took to the dealer and they said that it was a "dirty engine" They cleaned and flushed the injectors and other fuel areas. It ran fine for a while then it wouldn't start at all (might have been a different problem). I took to a local garage and they replaced the crankshaft position sensor and all is good now. I also have had a bad head gasket at 45,000?? and I complained to dodge and they replaced for free (and a free timing belt and water pump!!!!).
  • 1. Is it me or does Dodge seem to love making automatic transmissions that are slow on shifting? What is that "errr...." noise that is being made during gear changes? My transmission seems to shift rough when engaging into "Drive," "Park," or bang out of gear when in "Neutral."

I drive mostly city driving, but I drive only 2,000 miles a year at slow speeds, with some highway driving at 65 mph a few times a month. When approaching an intersection, I slow down, causing the car to downshift one gear, then slowly take my foot off the brake and gently ease on the gas as opposed to coming to a complete stop since there is no traffic and stop and go will damage the transmission even worse. Can anyone tell me what that is and what to do about it?

2. My valves have been tapping somewhat noisy and not only am I looking for a proper way to quiet them, but I'm looking to prevent any further damage from happening to them so I need a proper lubrication viscocity combination for winter driving and summer driving.

If I use 4 quarts of 10W-30 in the summer, the engine still overheats, telling me I need slightly thicker oil to remove the excess heat. Recently, I put in 3 quarts of 10W-30 and 1 quart 10W-40. It said on the bottle that 10W-40 is good for stop and go driving and driving from cold starting, although I let the engine warm up before driving.

I've noticed small amounts of white smoke out of the exhaust, slight overheating and louder valve tapping until the 10W-40 goes into the cylinder head. If I don't drive the car at high speeds, it seems like the 10W-40 does circulate through the engine as it should.

Should I use less 10W-40, like only 1/4 a quart and the rest 10W-30 or should I use 10W-30 and a certain amount of oil treatment or special oil lubricant? Is the 10W-40 damaging the engine if the oil is being burned in the cylinders? Does it reduce the horsepower or engine life by using 10W-40? Thank you for your response.
  • I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus SXT coupe, it has 28,000 miles on it. In January, I noticed that when I would go to warm up my car in the mornings, it was really hesitant to start. Then shortly after that I noticed that whenever I am idling, it is very rough. I drove it for a while, thinking it would go away. My engine light came on and we took it to Advance Auto and got the computer, plugged it in, and the code reading was 'misfire cylinder 1', so we took it to the dealer, (the original dealer I bought it from closed...hmmm), they had the car up there for a whole day, changed the spark plug which they thought was causing the problem. I picked up my car, light was still on and it still idled very rough. Took the car back, SIX DAYS AT THE DEALER later, they cleaned out the fuel injectors which they said were clogged. They told me to get gas somewhere other than BP, and my whole family gets gas there, no one has had the problem but me. That was mid january they cleaned it out. I began getting gas at somewhere completely different, and the problem is back again. Its soo rough when I'm idling. Its not so much doing it when I am in park, but as soon as i put it in reverse it starts and then into Drive. The dealer said I need to replace my fuel injectors, over $1000 worth of work. I dont have the money for this and not only that, I dont think thats the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Can someone offer me some insight? I love my car, and I was happy with it up until January. I just hope that this isnt the type of car I have to keep putting money into. Please help! :cry:
  • weaver14weaver14 Posts: 1
    My 2004 Dodge Stratus does the EXACT SAME THING. But my engine light doesn't come on, and it goes away after driving for 10 minutes or so. When i first start it up, it will have RPMs in the 1500-2000 range (i think thats high) and when it goes into reverse it drops to about 800-900 and its rough. There is a lot of vibration in the steering wheel. If I am stuck at a light shortly after startup and in drive it will do the same thing, i find myself putting it in neutral from time to time so it doesn't vibrate but then the RPMS are anwhere from 1500-2000 again, while ideling! I havent gone in to get it checked out, but when i take it in to have them check the rear cambrs and rear control arms (per a goodyear service shop after i took it in for an alignment). You might want to get that checked out to!
  • Thanks for the reply! Sounds like we have the same thing going on here. (by the way, my last name is Weaver!LOL)I will keep in mind what you had mentioned...
    My stratus is actually at the shop today again to see what the problem is (again). One problem I had was a bad sway bar that needs replaced, the other problem is the eratic idling (again). I'm just waiting to hear from the dealer to see what they say the problem is....
  • I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus - for the past week - I have noticed when i come to a stop that smoke is coming from under the hood - i had my son check it out and at first he thought maybe the head gasget - but now i was told my a friend that maybe the power steering or there is some sort of oil plug (???) in the back near the head gasket that may be causing it. I havent lost any coolant - but still getting smoke. Anyone know what this may be or has anyone experienced the same???? Thanks
  • abigred3abigred3 Posts: 2
    I also have a 2000 Dodge Stratus that seems to be doing the same exact thing...I was wondering if you found out anything new on it or has the problem stopped????
    Thanks!
  • Found a 2000 Stratus SE with 103K for $2300 to get for my daughter - a brand new driver. The mechanic down the street tells me that with that kind of mileage I am just asking for trouble. What do you think?
  • redmanx3redmanx3 Posts: 1
    it is a 99 stratus, It will not shift out of second gear and the speedometer does not work. just started to day any one know what it could be
  • I just had a recall on the PS line - it was replaced and my husband talked with a mechanic about some return line may be causing the problem - so he (my husband) did something with it - and the smoking stopped! Whether that was the problem - who knows - but at least for now - the car isnt smoking. Not only did I have that problem - the back brakes and rotors went out. My car has about 104K miles on it - I'm trying to hold out another year before replacing my car. Good luck with yours!!!!
  • sigmamansigmaman Posts: 7
    Hello I have a 2004 dodge stratus with 36K miles. Since the day I got the car I have heard a popping sound near the engine when accelerating from zero. It is only a single popping sound and it get very annoying. Anybody know whats going on???

And yes my stratus also has rough idles at red lights and will surge at times when in a drive thru after I apply the break when after accelerating. And oh yes.... that damn creaking sound from the front when turning. Dodge just needs to issue recalls on all of these problems because it seems that everybody is experiencing the same problems. Anybody agree???
  • I totally agree about the recalls...
    I've had my 2004 Stratus SXT in the shop 10 FULL DAYS just this year. Once it hit 2 years old, it all went to hell. I keep taking it to the dealer for the rough idle and they keep telling me they don't feel it... well it shakes so bad I feel like its going to explode... and they can't feel that???? To them thats normal???? Funny how it never did that before. I am so angry with my car. I love it, it looks sharp, very comfortable (beside my broken seat back that clicks everytime I stop and go which the dealer said is not broken)but I dont know what to do with it. I am worried that when the warranty runs out in November that I'm going to be stuck with a lot of problems and repair bills that I really cant afford. I wish they would recall the rough idle problem because alot of us have that problem...
  • abigred3abigred3 Posts: 2
    I was just wondering how ur husband changed the PS line....did he do it himself or did he take it to the garage...what kind of work was involved???
    Thanks!!!
  • twilighttwilight Posts: 2
    I drive a 1996 Dodge Stratus... I love my car, I've had a couple problems in the last few years like getting my timing belt replaced. My tire rods replaced after breaking in half and bent the other one. Had to get it towed.

This time... I'm hearing loud noises and feeling vibrations when I place my hand on the gear shift (it's automatic) that is between seats. I thought it would be road noise but I do not recall having something like this loud. It's so loud that I had to turn the music up high to hear.

The loudness starts when I hit 45 kms (I'm in Canada, we use kms instead of mph) It's not my muffler, as I just had the thing replaced few months ago... it's not even the pipe that is attached to the muffler. Any ideas what could be causing the noise?? :confuse:
  • ykyrreykyrre Posts: 1
    I had same thing on my o4 stratus. After they replaced ignit cable (plug wires), it has been fine. :)
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 871
    Bad ignition wires are common on the Stratus, even fail while still under warranty.