Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Stratus

Comments

• My 2001 dodge stratus has mileage of 104,000 and it has been making a very loud noise in the morning when it is cold outside. It continues for about 5 minutes then it stops when the car is warmed up enough. What causes this noise?
  • u can go to bodykits.net or do a google search
  • I have a 2001 Stratus ES (2.7L) with 82,000 miles. I am religious about changing the oil every 3,000 miles. I have had the car for a year and a half with no problems at all. Just put new tires on the car this past Saturday. Sunday I put the tires to the test through a bunch of winding and hilly roads. Now when stopping, the oil pressure light comes on. It goes off when rpms come up. Oil level is fine and clean. I have read posts about possible oil switches. Car still runs fine but am planning a trip this weekend and would like to avoid getting stuck away from home. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Three out of my four doors on my 1998 Stratus makes a loud cracking/popping noise when door opens and closes. Is it a bad hinge? I tightened all doors but the problem still persists.
    Anyone have same problem and maybe a solution?
  • 3rd Stratus: I, too, have had MANY fuel injector problems with my 04 Stratus sxt. As of August of 2006, according to the dealer and dodge corporate, there were not any recalls for this issue... but if you find something out about such a recall, please let me know! I finally had to get rid of the car because these fuel injector issues were 'not under warranty' and I couldn't afford to keep putting money into this car plus its high car payment, :(
  • Hi All,

I have a 1998 Dodge Stratus and last night as I was to take my leave from work, I go to get into my car and upon turning the key into the ignition, the engine didn't turn over. Now I've had this problem before where I would have to crank for a few moments before the car would start. However last night the engine didn't turn on -- I cranked one more time and the engine revved only to shut off just about 1 second later.

When the engine shut off, it took my cd player, the buttons for heat and a/c, turning signals, windshield wipers, and locks out with it... However my interior lights, my headlights, and my windows still work fine.

I consulted a garage, and they told me it's probably a faulty battery (but i would assume nothing electrical would work then..) but I've seen elsewhere it could be anything from an ignition switch, to the starter/cellenoid to the distributor. Anybody else have this exact problem?

Any advice is appreciated! It's cold and the walk to work sucks, and with snow in the forecast I would like my car back..

Thanks,
    Gary

:cry:
  • :cry: can you use a analog voltmeter to do diagnostics on a 96' 2.4 stratus? if so, how?? my stratus just stopped running!!! no no engine trouble light comes on, it turns over and sounds like it wants to start but won't?????????replaced timing belt about 500 miles ago and just replaced coil. my tach seemed to quit working just before it stalled???? any and all help will be appreciated
  • Pulled 2001 Stratus into garage a week ago, all ok. Today, started engine and "service engine soon" light came on and stayed on. Engine idle did seem a bit rougher. Turned off engine. When restarted, light still on, but idled smooth. Drove around block, ran fine. Removed and reinstalled gas cap, light still on.

Car has only 22,000 miles on it. Original owner. Any ideas other than take to dealer and check codes?

Thanks,
  • :cry: can you use a analog voltmeter to do diagnostics on a 96' 2.4 stratus? if so, how?? my stratus just stopped running!!! no no engine trouble light comes on, it turns over and sounds like it wants to start but won't?????????replaced timing belt about 500 miles ago and just replaced coil. my tach seemed to quit working just before it stalled???? any and all help will be appreciated
  • garzo1garzo1 Posts: 3
    I am experiencing the same problem on my 96. any chance you found out the problem . I would love to know its driving me crazy :mad:
  • garzo1garzo1 Posts: 3
    :mad: Go to start my car last week and when I turn the key there is no dash lights no radio. Turn the key all the way over any there is nothing .
    After trying to boost the car and much searching I find the 20 amp ignition fuse blown in the engine fuse box.
    A couple days later the same thing. Put 4 new fuses in an 4 times the fuse blows. I get the car towed to my mechanic
    and he finds nothing wrong after 2 days of restarting the car over and over again. Not once did the fuse blow for him. A few days later the same thing the fuse blow so I install another fuse but the car wont start. I leave the
    car along for the day the next morning it starts no problem.
    Any help would be great. My patience are run very short.
  • OMG! this is happening to me too! someone please help. my husband and i have our explorer in the body shop right now from a wreck and now our only transportation is not running b/c it keeps blowing that fuse under the hood. i have changed it out 4 times and it keeps blowing every time i start it. it clicks loud and when i go under the hood, it is blown. its only that one too.
  • I have the same problem. I have a 99' Dodge Stratus. It idles very hard. The whole car shakes and feels like it's going to stall. This progressively got worse after having service done after Expressway noticed an unknown leak coming from my car I: Replaced Cylinder head, head gasket, timing belt, water pump, oil filter, timing belt, tension pulley, motor tuned, and thermostat checked. (I'm going by the bill I don't know much about cars) But after bringing it back 3x, all a response I got was to put fuel cleaner through my gas tank to clean out the system, and nothing else could fix a heavy idle. what is going on?!
  • ;) get your started checked under load. The problem is more then likely the starter module. I don't think you can get that part replaced only. I would put A used starter in like I did and see if the problem goes away.
    I haven't had a problem yet and its been 2 months but will keep you posted if you want.
  • any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • phastphast Posts: 8
    You mentioned that you (they) replaced the head and head gasket, etc. Unless there was damage to the head itself would requiring replacing and would be very expensive. Sounds like your stratus has or had the infamous leaking head gasket problem which is inherent to this particular engine. Noticed pool of oil in your driveway, which started as small drops, and as the oil leak worsened the engine started to run rough. Need to correct problem by replacing the gasket with the metal composite, replace all the headbolts with new (highly recommended), new exhaust gasket, probably replace the front O2 sensor located on your exhaust manifold, and lastly inspect your exhaust manifold (needs to be removed - easy 4 bolts/4 nuts)for crack(s) probalbly located between #2 and 3 exhaust ports. Cause of all your problems were twofold - #1 the factory exhaust gasket was made out of a paper composite which comnbined with #2 problem which is a exhaust manifold that cracks and directs heat to the manifold effectively contributing to the gasket failure which shows itself as an oil leak that progressively gets worst to failure and a rough runnig engine. As far as the shop replacing the head...only if damaged and beyond repair (machine work), Call the parts store or dealer and price a new or remanufactured head and you should be able to compare that to your bill. By the way there was an (un)official recall on these cars with this problem. You might want to check it out on the web, you may be able to be get your money back. Type in "stratus leaking head gasket"......and BEHOLD! Hope this helps. By the way with the gasket problem fixed you'd be amazed of the power of the Stratus engine!
  • phastphast Posts: 8
    You mentioned that you (they) replaced the head and head gasket, etc. Unless there was damage to the head itself would requiring replacing and would be very expensive. Sounds like your stratus has or had the infamous leaking head gasket problem which is inherent to this particular engine. Noticed pool of oil in your driveway, which started as small drops, and as the oil leak worsened the engine started to run rough. Need to correct problem by replacing the gasket with the metal composite, replace all the head bolts with new (highly recommended), new exhaust gasket, probably replace the front O2 sensor located on your exhaust manifold, and lastly inspect your exhaust manifold (needs to be removed - easy 4 bolts/4 nuts)for crack(s) probably located between #2 and 3 exhaust ports. Cause of all your problems were two-fold - #1 the factory exhaust gasket was made out of a paper composite which combined with #2 problem which is a exhaust manifold that cracks and directs heat to the manifold effectively contributing to the gasket failure which shows itself as an oil leak that progressively gets worst to failure and a rough running engine. As far as the shop replacing the head...only if damaged and beyond repair (machine work), Call the parts store or dealer and price a new or re manufactured head and you should be able to compare that to your bill. By the way there was an (un)official recall on these cars with this problem. You might want to check it out on the web, you may be able to be get your money back. Type in "stratus leaking head gasket"......and BEHOLD! Hope this helps. By the way with the gasket problem fixed you'd be amazed of the power of the Stratus engine!
  • I have a 05 stratus and when I shift into drive you have to push in on a button on the shifter. but the button will not push in so I can not get out of park. Help!!
    richard :mad:
  • How in the world do you get to the back 3 spark plugs on a 3.0 liter Stratus without ripping half the engine out? Thanks in advance
  • My daughter has a 1999 Stratus (almost 200000m on it) and came home with it the other day saying that at low speed (0-35), she was feeling a "tapping," but at higher speeds it went away. She said the tapping was "faster" at slower speed and slowed as she picked up speed. She also said the check engine light came on at the lower speeds but went off at the higher speeds.

I checked her oil and added 2 quarts. She could be losing oil somewhere because she just had it serviced a month ago. But I don't see any on the ground where she parks, so that is a question mark.

Anyway, I started her car and listened to it. It sounded like it might be idling a little rough, but not too bad. So I took it out for a short drive. I didn't notice the "tapping" but the check engine light was on. After I had driven at slow speed for a little while, I got it up to about 50. As I was coming back home after having gone about a half mile, the check engine light started blinking and continued to do so for the last quarter mile until I got home.

I know I need to get it to a mechanic to have it put on the diagnostic computer, but I'm not sure if I should drive it at all with the light blinking. That could be indicative of something pretty serious couldn't it?