Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Stratus

Comments

• wenceewencee Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus, and last week I took it in for 50,000 mile service. Today the check engine light went on. I turned it on, off, on, off on -- and went out. What's up?
  • wenceewencee Posts: 2
    I took my car in for service 2 weeks ago for 50,000 mile check up. $700+. Today my engine light went on. I searched the internet and was told to turn key to on, off, on, off, on -- no diagnostic numbers appeared. Should I worry about this? Car is running fine.
  • bocky8bocky8 Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Stratus Rt with some cooling issues. Her are the problems: Lower Radiator hoses remains cold while car has been running for hours. System has no pressure in it, can remove radiator cap at any time after car has been run for hours. No heat at idle inside car, only at high idle or while driving. Car also overheats at lights or if let idle in the morning in winter. System is full of antifreeze and installed a new thermostat. I am mechanically inclined, just want to know where to start. I have heard of this same problem so I am hoping that someone can help. Thank you very much. Joe
  • richie29richie29 Posts: 2
    2001 Stratus 86k. has been great for the 38k i've put on it. 2 wks ago i noticed it started driving hard like it was gripping the road. tougher and tougher to get to 65mph. then a little noise to point now it sounds like a bad muffler inside the car but it's not and runs very quiet while idling. i thought maybe a transmission, never had 1 go so i don't know what to expect. has tranny fluid. starts great. oil is changed every 3k
    any ideas
  • Hello Richie. I just bought a 2001 Stratus se. Here's the car fax report on it. Pay attention to the transmission part regarding the speed sensor. I hope this helps.--John.
    Write me back @johnpaul4223@hotmail.com. I have the whole printout if you want it. It cost me a little bit , but I'll be happy to share it. Later.

Identifix Reliability Ratings

Category: Comments: Rating:
    Engine An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Timing Chain and Guides (2.7L engine only). Failure of the Timing Chain and Guides may prevent the vehicle from starting. The cost to repair the Timing Chain and Guides is estimated at $537.80 for parts and $292.50 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.
    Transmission & Driveline Occasional problems on this vehicle are failures of the Transmission Turbine Speed Sensor and the Output Shaft Speed Sensor. The cost to replace either of the Speed Sensors is estimated at $25.60 for parts and $32.50 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.
    Steering & Suspension Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs
    Brakes Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs
    Heating & Air Conditioning An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Blower Motor Resistor, 4 door sedan only. Failure of the Blower Motor Resistor may cause the fan to run only on high speed. The cost to repair the Blower Motor Resistor is estimated at $14.75 for parts and $32.50 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.
    Starting & Charging Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs
    Accessories Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs

This 2001 DODGE STRATUS reliability information was provided by Identifix. Identifix is the nation's largest technical support service for the aftermarket auto repair industry. CARFAX does not review or correct the information provided by Identifix.

• chiefloadchiefload Posts: 31
    Understand that the Avenger is replacing the Stratus. Took a Charger on a test drive today (my impressions are in the Charger forum... sweet ride..), but also looked at and sat in a 2008 (?) Avenger in the dealer's lot... Thought it looked nice, modern, kinda like a mini-Charger.... Has anyone driven one yet and can post some impressions?
  • chiefloadchiefload Posts: 31
    ....I just found the forum (why does it not show up under the Sedan Forums list?)....
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    Probably because previously the Avenger was strictly a coupe. We'll fix the category on that group to include Sedan.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• twilighttwilight Posts: 2
    I drive a '96 Dodge. This past year my car has been acting all strange. My air/heat vent switches quit working that it only has one setting that sends cold or hot air up to the windshield, the floor and the side vents. The rest of the settings don't work... that happened last year. I didn't have the time to get it in to take it fixed but as of last week... it's back to normal. I got all the settings and everything. It was strange. Another thing, My 'Check Engine' Light came on and stayed that way for two and half weeks until I decided to have it checked out without having to fix it until I know what it is. Turns out it's my EGR value (or is that ERG valve??) that needs to be replaced... that's what caused my light to come one until the NEXT day it went off on it's own. Got me puzzled...
    Anyone has that strange case when a car has a mind of it's own or something like that?? :confuse:
  • Hi All, I drive a 97 Dodge Stratus and recently just spent 900 bucks to place a new motor under the hood. 150,000 miles on the car, and with a new motor I am aiming to try to give the car a fresh start at life..

however the previous owner of the car broke the driver's seat on the right side. When I go to sit in the vehicle I often lean slightly to the right, making a drive uncomfortable. I am looking to change this..

Should I go to a dealer and get stratus seat placed in, or should i consider aftermarket seats - if so, what are the best and best priced aftermarket seats available?

Thanks!
  • vvicevvice Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 ES. Does ANYONE know how to access the air conditioning condensate drain? Mine has plugged, but I cannot find it to open it back up.

I really like the car - as long as I keep the rpm's below 3,000, the fuel mileage is almost always 32.0 - 32.1 mpg. The air conditioner is working great, but the condenstate is currently draining into the passenger-side floor board.
  • franzrodfranzrod Posts: 7
    I also have had my EGR valve replaced. I spent about $800. and still the engine check light was still on. There is more than one EGR valve. Take it to an Imisions inspector and have them put a specific gas and it will take less than an hour for them to scan it and find which EGR is not working. In my case a $50 EGR valve was not working right and that cost me about $80 for labor.
    I got 2001 status SE v6 / 3.0L that just blows my mind!!!
  • Ive got an '01 R/T... Awesome car but due to an unfortunate circumstance my oil pan was blown on the freeway and ultimately killed the engine... I want to keep this car so maybe you guys have some suggestions as to what kind of engine I might be able to fit in this thing... I figure if im gonna go I might as well go as big as possible... and possibly switch over to a 5 speed I would love that.. anyone with any ideas? Thanks!
  • mbunsenmbunsen Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Stratus with 73,000 miles on it.Just a short time ago the transmission started acting up.It seems as though it is shifting in and out of overdrive.The tach jumps about 250 rpm's and then drops back to normal.this happens mainly in the 55-70 mph range. Sometimes it will do it one right after the other and sometimes you can drive for a few miles.Hooked a Scan tool up to check for any codes,which there wasn't.Also watched the data as I was driving, but the shifting happens quiker than the scan tool can read it. It shows the trans in 4th and the torque convertor locked.Any info will be greatly appreciated.
  • phastphast Posts: 8
    Appears that one or both of the speed sensors located on the transmission may be bad. They can be accessed from the engine compartment, but will require removing the air intake plenum. Symptoms for either sensor is failure of the transmission to shift, which causes the engine to rev high. Gas mileage suffers and possible transmission damage may result from driving in this condition.

I experienced the same problem with a 98 Stratus and changed both sensors. I changed them one at a time, changing the high speed first which apparently was the bad one, and than changed the low speed one also, and saved the used low speed as a spare. Spoke to the local dealer parts associate who stated that the sensors appear to be a common replacement item on these cars.

Hope this helps, may want to check the forum for similar replies.
  • mbunsenmbunsen Posts: 2
    I have been doing a little more diagnosing on my 2000 Stratus. My torque converter is locking and unlocking at highway speeds. It also locks in third gear. Any one have any ideas on what is causing this,solenoid pack, relay valve or something else.No transmission codes are present.
    :confuse: does any know when you accelorate ans decelorate there is a clicking noise in the change of gears. is that normal?? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • pcamarenapcamarena Posts: 1
    Hello, i have a 2004 stratus two weeks ago after a couple of rainy days, like you, i saw some water in the driver's side floorboard. Could you please tell me what do you do in order to fix the problem?
  • ijo417ijo417 Posts: 2
    My car keeps trying to overheat while Idle. I do not know what it could be. I do not have heat as well. What do you think it could be.