Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Stratus

Comments

• I have a 2000 Dodge Status. I put my key in the ignition and it won't turn backward or forward. It is like the ignition is locked. I turned my lights on, so I know the battery isn't dead. I seatbelted myself in, I made sure that the gear was in PARK, I placed my foot on the brake, etc... and I even tried an alternate key that I have, so it isn't the key. I also checked the fuses and they are fine. Oh yeah, and I'm not out of gas.

Basically, it is like the ignition is locked.

Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

Ken
  • Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to find out the name of a part located in the steering column which allows the horn to be blown and the air bag to come on when it is most important. It is for a 2003 stratus/ 4 door. I'm trying to price it, but w/o the name, its not gonna happen
    thanx in advance for ur help... :confuse:
  • I have a 2002 Stratus Se. I need to replace the driver side headlight bulb. How do you get to the bulb. It looks like you have to take other components off to get to the bulb. Is there an easy way.
  • I love driving in my Stratus. I love the way it handles, i.e. the tightness on the road. Feels like I'm in a little sports car sometimes. No auto manufacturer makes a perfect vehicle.

Yes, the Japanese took some of our ideas and made them better. It caught the American Auto Industry and surpassed it.

We need to keep the auto industry jobs within the United States. Keep the money here, right? But at the same time, perhaps there must be some kind of regulations or laws that force the American Auto Industry to have at minimum, a high quality product, e.g. some much quality within a range in reference to other high quality auto manufacturers, e.g. Nissan, Toyota, etc.

I had a Saturn Ion. The transmission in this Saturn was a Japanese transmission. Figure that.

Oh well, I can't wait to get into my Stratus. I am going to jam.

Thank you Dodge for making the Stratus. I am enjoying it. Yes, I've had to put money into fixing things, but I think it is worth it for now.

Dodge would probably get their feelings hurt if I told them that I dream about having a new Nissan Frontier, Ford Mustang GT(Shelby or whatever), and a Cadillac CTS Coupe. If I was greedy, instead of the Mustang, I would get a Corvette Z06 or ZR1.

For now, I will enjoy my 2000 Dodge Stratus. Never know what is next on the "fixing" list.

I just forked out ( a few days ago ) $288 to replace a key tumbler.

Oh well, all vehicles have to have maintenance and fixing at some point in their life time.

Have a great day. It is clear blue skys here in the Colorado Springs area at 8:26 a.m.

Think I'll check fluid levels and maybe air pressure, and hit the road for awhile.

Bye.
  • We have a 2004 stratus. Our car will be hard to start and the engine light will come on. Wait a few minutes and restart usually will start fine. Doesn’t happen every time we start it.

We took it to Autozone- told it was the crank sensor or camshaft sensor. We have replaced both. Still having the same problem.

We took it to a mechanic- he couldn’t figure out what the problem was. He told us to take it to an electrician. We have and they can’t figure it out. Because the codes only show when the light is on and that isn’t all the time, they have had our vehicle for over a month. They thought it was the housing for the sensor- they tighted the prongs and it cleared the problem, but when I went to pick it up the problem recurred.

:confuse: Any suggestions?
  • Intermittent problems are the most difficult to diagnose. How many miles on your Stratus? Mine started and ran a little funky when the spark plugs got to about 95k miles. They were in really bad shape when I changed them. If yours are old, you should change them anyway. Make sure you have good fuel and add a full system fuel treatment to rule out contaminated gas. Buy only top quality gas for awhile to see what that does. I have a 2004 Stratus with 120k miles on it. Have done all my own maintenance and never had that problem. I would take it to a good auto-electric shop or, sadly, take it to a dealer at least for the diagnosis.
  • Like an idiot, I sold my beloved MB 300TD and bought a 2000 Dodge Stratus from a friend who needed some quick money. I will unload this crummy car ASAP, but there are a couple of things I would like to fix beforehand, if possible.

Sometimes the horn blows for no reason. I can make it stop by unlocking the tilt wheel and moving the steering wheel up and down (hard!). I have just removed the fuse, so I have no horn. However, the dc charger outlet is on that same fuse, so I can't charge my cell phone and other stuff when I am driving.

The driver side and passenger side front electric windows are iffy. Sometimes they work perfectly, sometimes they will stop, then roll up or down next time I start it or if I drive for a long time. Sometimes not.

Any cheap fixes for either of these problems?? I do see that the windows are a fairly common problem with these cars.
    Thank you! :lemon:
  • jshireyjshirey Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have a 1999 Dodge Stratus w/100k miles, a 2.4L engine, and an automatic transmission. Whenever i put the vehicle in drive the engine idles rough and almost stalls; when i shift it back into park or neutral it still runs rough. The check engine light does not come on. any ideas?
    My only car i really need some advice
    Thanks Frank
  • Have a Dodge Stratus 2006. Bought it used.
    Have had it for 6 months. Just recently just started having this problem. Dummy me was trying to start it with a copy key which did not have the transmitter. It would start and shut right off after 3 to 5 seconds!!! It was very frustrating.
    After looking through various forums, I got the codes from the computer which gave me the code of P0513 which means that a key without the theft security chip was used to try to start the vehicle. Bingo!! Tried the original key and no problem running the vehicle. Thankyou Lord God.
    Just wanted to relay this to everyone.
  • Please tell me what parts you had to replace, I am desperate here $1,000 and no money left. Thank You so much
  • My 1999 Dodge Stratus did the same thing a few months ago.

It was the starter. Once I replaced the starter it fixed that particular problem with the car.
  • hey sigmaman, my '04 horn did the same thing while driving in a heavy rain. finally i just hit the horn for 20 or so seconds and that blew the water out of it. try that if u still have the old horn still on your car! ;)
  • ludwixxludwixx Posts: 1
    The blower, both in heating and A/C modes works BUT is
    quiet in 1 and increasingly noisy in 2, 3 and 4.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Ludwix
  • have u tried turning the steering wheel?
  • davyx38davyx38 Posts: 2
    Some ideas could be the O2 sensor if its bad the engine could burn to rich (to much fuel can make the pistons float) or lean (not enough fuel and kill the engine) Another idea is head gasket issues, if oil or radiator fluid is leaking the engine will run rough eventually die. Head Gasket kits cost about $120 and labor can exceed $1000. Try using engine sealant additives, synthetic oil better fuel and spak plugs.

I have a 2000 thats leaking small amounts of oil but i discovered it pretty soon and have been able to keep it under control. To anyone else who has this car beware the engine, sensor module on the tranny, and timing belts.
  • automan62automan62 Posts: 2
    Not sure if you are having problem now but Flue pump and Starter run through that fuse .Starter may be problem
  • same problem dealership service department said it was all 4 O2 sensor are bad causing the wiring to the altanator to short out and cost $800 plus tax to fix and is not covered my warranty.
  • this car the heat blows cold when the headlights are on but if there off the heat blows hot what could this be???
  • It is runnin rough cause the IAC (IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE) has built up carbon take it off clean it and it will idle great.
  • alleusalleus Posts: 3
    My check engine light goes on and off intermitantly. Every time I put gas in it the damn light goes on and then about two days later it goes off. Then it will turn on while driving and it will not shift out of second gear. (2005 Dodge stratus 2.4L DOHC) I pull over, turn it off and count to 5 and turn it on again. Light stays on but the car will now shift. It is happening more often. We have already replaced the battery, and some sort of solenoid that has to do with the emissions system and the starter solenoid. When I go to Autozone and have it read it spits out so many codes that you just know the reader hasn't a clue. Does any one out ther have any suggestions? I am planning to trade this thing off soon and I needit to run well.