Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Stratus

Comments

• joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    2004 22K Warranty :)
  • sigmamansigmaman Posts: 7
    Just some advise for anybody with a 2004 dodge stratus. I recently washed my stratus and somehow some moisture has gotten into the horn which is located in the very front of the car on the passenger side at the bottom below the headlight. I think this is due to me spraying directly at it with water at the time not knowing where the horn was located. Ever since then the horn sounds muffled and is not as loud. It has been about a week now and it doesn't sound the same. I have now ordered a new horn from a dodge dealership. So if you decide to wash your car be careful and don't get any water in that horn.
  • kimmylynkimmylyn Posts: 1
    i own a '03 dodge stratus se, 23,000 miles. took it to the shop for inspection, (knowing i needed brake pads) and the mechanic told me i needed rotors also.
    had a friend pull the tire off to look at the rotor on passenger side. seen nothing that would look out of the ordinary. am i getting charged for something i dont need or am i missing something???????? i have no grinding of the brakes, just a bit of a vibration. thanks for your help.....
  • itshemiitshemi Posts: 32
    When you say shop do you mean "a Dealer", if not have a Dodge Dealer look it over. I have a 2002 Stratus RT 4dr Sedan with 21000 and 4-5/32 Front and 6-7/32 rear padding left, and I drive it pretty hard every day to the Metro 5-6 mile stop and go.
  • dan37dan37 Posts: 1
    I heard from a dodge employee that oil lines inside the engine get clogged up if u dont change the oil every 3000 miles (2.7 liter) My 2.4 runs good, thought i would pass this on
    Obviously this could cause overheating, poor Oil pressure, poor performance, and eventually engine damege, and who knows what else
    supposidly dodge turned there heads when told about the problem
    I know people like my dad change their oil every 15000 or so lol.
    On an off note me and my dads 97 and 2000 stratus 2.4 and 2.5 run great; cept my dads got broken into. keyless entry alarm thing did nothing.
  • wheelmanwheelman Posts: 52
    Pensfan, symptons are fuel/ fuel pump issue. Go to the NHTSA.gov website. Look at vehicle recalls. Dodge has issued 2 recalls on fuel pumps, connectors and tubing for the 2004 Stratus and is sister car, Sebring.

The Wheelman
  • wheelmanwheelman Posts: 52
    Sigmaman, engines die for lack of fuel, air or spark. If the problem was oil loss, you might wind up with a 700 pound paperweight under the hood. Go to the NHTSA.gov website and see what recalls and complaints are registered by other owners of your model. Intermittent stalling leads me to check electrical first and fuel system second.

The Wheelman
  • redredredred Posts: 1
    looking for suggestions for possible problem my dodge stratus makes a really bad loud sound if you try to excelerate to fast it does not do it if you work it up to about 15mph and then excelerate some more
  • mellowdemellowde Posts: 4
    I've been looking for an aftermarket hood for my 04 stratus hood since a neighbor's tree fell on top of mine. The windshield both fenders and passenger mirror also had to be replaced and there was no problem locating them. But the hood is a mystery. I have looked everywhere. Without going through the dealer and paying through the nose I don't seem to be able to locate either an aftermarket or a salvage one in good shape. Can anyone help??
    I only use a high quality 30 weight oil (one with detergent). The mileage will decrease slightly, but the engine will last at least twice as long. The maker can not tell you that because they need to specify the multiweight oil to keep their epa mileage figures high enough to pass muster under fed law. Don't ever expect a multiweight oil to do the job of a good 30 weight oil, ever. I know a fellow with over a 1/4 million miles on his 4 cylinder porsche engine without any overhaul because he regularly uses valvoline 30 weight racing oil. He is a factory trained porsche mechanic and knows something about the innards of engines. But if you must be a politically correct person and use the multiweight oil then change it at least every 1000 miles including new filter. The filter will need to be changed because of all the metal shavings picked up by lack of lubrication using the multi-weight oil. Re-cirulating those shavings will rapidly increase engine failure. The multi weight oils just don't have enough viscosity to suspend the shavings especially at high temperatures. So the multi weights will wear your engine out two ways at once. First they create excessive wear in order to produce high epa mileage ratings and two they allow the shavings they create to further ruin your engine. I know there are those out there who don't change their oil often enough, too. And this further decreases those multi weight's ability to lubricate as well. Ever look at the multiweight oil in the collection pan when changing the oil?? It looks like black water and has the same viscosity. How can that lubricate?? Common sense is still common sense.
    It's likely an oxygen sensor. The high temps in the exhaust manifold exacerbate the problem and show up first at higher temps. Try replacing the oxy sensor before going any further in your quest to solve this one.
    You are absolutely right. Driving in a mud puddle caused mine to do the same thing. How can you avoid that? I've considered relocating the horn entirely.
    How does your # 30 do at -20 F, talk about ruining an engine real fast, the oil pump will not pickup the oil and will burn out all the bearings.
    Change the oil every 1k , what a waste in a modern fuel injected engine.
    :)
  • donna11donna11 Posts: 1
    I am wondering if anyone could tell me what the problem may be with my car... I got to a stop sign and the car shut off for me...I had a friend check it and he said there is no compression to start it... What could the problem be... I don't want to spend a fortune on this car..Thanks
    Does the engine have any oil in it, that model had a known head gasket oil leak. :(
  • vikes39vikes39 Posts: 4
    I own a 1997 Dodge Stratus and am having many problems with it. Recently the car has been acting quite strange. When I start it in the morning it runs good for a couple of minutes and then it starts chugging and hesitating. The check engine has come on and now won't shut off. We had the car checked bya mechanic and the scan tool cam up with code 05??? Initial we thought it was the main computer or the injectors. As it turns out it doesn't appear to be either. We then replaced the throttle sensor and the car worked for two weeks, but has reverted back to its old ways. Any ideas as to what the problm could be?
    The car is ful of oil and the head gasket was replaced one year ago,.
    Timing belt broken?
    I don't think so as we replaced it less than a year ago as well. Would the car run if the timing belt were broke?
    NO, and they usually turn over faster than normal when broken.
    Basically the car is running, but very poorly and I am having a heck of a time diagnosing the problem.
    Big difference running or not. My daughter had bad plug wire on her 03, on warranty dealer changed one wire, miles less than 36K. Noticed it mostly at idle, would run idle rough at times. :)
  • amandasamandas Posts: 1
    I have a '01 stratus with 104,000 miles. Last week I got the oil changed and a couple days later the engine started knocking. It at first only did it when I started the engine and when it would idle. Now it does it all the time. What can cause this to happen? :confuse:
    Have you checked your oil dipstick to see how much oil is in the engine.
  • I have a 1995 Stratus with a vexing intermittent problem. For large swathes of time, the car starts and runs perfectly. Then, all of a sudden, after driving it, out of nowhere, it decides not to start. I'll turn the key, and the engine will just crank and crank until it's blue in the face. This problem has occured twice, both at inopportune times and with no warning. If the car is left alone for a few hours, the problem magically goes away, making it embarrassing to call the AAA, because the tow truck driver ends up starting it right up.

I have taken it to a couple of mechanics, and have gotten different suggestions, as no one seems to be able to re-create the problem. One said that it could be the cam shaft sensor. Unfortunately, the particular engine configuration I have requires that the entire distributor be changed in order to change the sensor. He wanted to charge me $900 just for the part, and he didn't even know for sure that was the problem. Great. I don't want to throw that kind of money into this unless I know it's gonna fix it. Is this going to be one of those problems where I just get something changed, drive it for a while and hope I don't get stuck--ad infinitum?

This car has become a problem child; I don't know what to do with it. I don't drive it much anymore because I don't want to get stuck, so it sits parked out on the street, gathering dust, pine needles, and spiderwebs.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
  • I have a 2004 dodge stratus sxt sedan. Is there any lowering kits I can put on my car? Eibach discontinued there's.
  • I have a 2004 stratus that does the same thing and I took it to the dodge dealership and they said the couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was wondering if you got yours fixed and if so what did they do?
  • Pay close attention to the noise, see if it happens whenever there is no strain on the transmission, like breaking or letting off the gas some. My 2004 Stratus is making the same noise, the dealer told me it was slack in the transmission, and I need to take it back to be looked at by the tranny guy. I want a new transmission, after all, the noise is coming from inside the transmission, there could be damage.
  • dd718dd718 Posts: 1
    Hi All -
    This is my first post on the Stratus; have had many on the Durango! Anyway, my husband has a 2001 R/T and the ignition key won't come out. It started happening once in a while and now it hasn't come out for days. He was looking underneath for some switch but didn't readily find what he was looking for. Does anyone know where this switch may be that is defective and won't release the key?
  • lvr71lvr71 Posts: 1
    I was not given a manual, so I do not know how to use my key remote. Any tips?