Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Stratus

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Check the level of your brake fluid. There is a sensor that alerts you to low brake fluid via the emergency brake light. Your fluid may just be a tad low, but going around turns and coming to a stop shifts the brake fluid away from where the sensor sits on the side of the master cylinder reservoir. Adding some brake fluid should get rid of the problem. Or the sensor itself is bad. If you do need to add fluid, keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't go back down because then that means you have a leak somewhere. It is normal for the fluid to drop down some as you get low on pad life since the calipers are extended out further.
  • My wife and I just purchased a 2004 Stratus R/T sedan. Beautiful car, good handling, good comfort. We have noticed an annoying whine in the motor that increases in volume with the reving of the engine. The dealer has put two new alternators on the car to fix the problem, but the whine is still there. The mechanic told me the whine is characteristic of the R/T. That seems strange considering it has the same engine as the other Stratus trim lines except the SXT. We have just over 1,000 miles on the car, it is our first Dodge, and so far, our last. Has anyone else noticed this whine in their Stratus? One of the mechanics told me it was a characteristic of this car.
    Are you sure the whine is coming from the engine and not the transmission? If you put the car in neutral or park and rev the engine, do you still hear the noise?
  • Great car so far. The body and interior look sharp. Transmission sounds and runs great. Breaks are solid. Engine is clean...whole car is clean from top to bottom. Handles very well. Wow.

However, I'm concerned about 2 things:

1) 90k miles. Carfax looks clean. Again - runs great - and I want to keep it that way. What can I expect if I maintain it regularly? I don't have much of an idea on what type of maintenace its had other than from the dealership. Are there any maintenance issues I should focus on?

2) Snow. There has been some concern by previous members on this forum about the performance of the 1999 Stratus in the snow. I live in Denver and commute to Wyoming once a month so this is a concern for me. Are snow tires an approptiate measure?

Thank you for any responses in advance.
  • I checked for the whine in both park and neutral and the whine was present in both. Payed closer attention, and the whine is barely audible once I have reached cruising speed, but any kind of acceleration increases the volume of the whine so much that it is very noticeable over the radio. I don't really know much about cars so any help would be appreciated. Could this whine have anything to do with the autostic, because the two cars we test drove before buying this one did not have either the autostic or the whine. The whine sounds more electrical than mechanical, if that makes sense.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    I just spent two days driving a new rental Dodge Stratus. The car had 2 miles on the odometer when I got it. I had mostly pleasant experience with the car, except for the following: The seatbelts are out of the way when you enter the vehicle and close the door and you must reach way behind the seat to grab the seatbelt. This was getting annoying. I got about 26 MPG overall on a mixed city/highway driving trip. The visibility over the front fender humps is not good and this can be a problem when turning in tight quarters. You can easily hit the curb because you cannot judge the position of the front wheel. The seat comfort is mediocre. Engine power is adequate for a large 4 cylinder, but not overwhelming either. I am used to driving 6 cylinder cars with a manual transmission and I immediately discovered this 4 cylinder car weakness: When accelerating rapidly onto a freeway around 70 MPH, the power is simply not there. Same in quick passing situations. You better plan ahead.
  • The annoying whine in my Stratus R/T sedan is finally gone, along with the seat belt rattle and the hard shifts back to Park from Autostic. What fixed the problem? I traded the piece of junk in for a GM car. I have never been so disappointed in a car or it's manufacturer customer service. There will never be another Dodge/Chrysler product in this family again.
  • I got my 2000 Stratus in December 2003 and was very happy with it; especially after my son exchanged the outdated cassette player for a new CD player as a Christmas present. Then in January a "film" developed on the windows that I couldn't get rid of. Then I began to smell antifreeze inside the car. A local car repair chain diagnosed the problem as a bad heater core. I was given two options: Fix it, $500 or bypass the heater and live without heat or defrost for $100. I chose the later, thinking it wasn't that cold in Las Vegas, but quickly found I did need the defroster. The Dodge dealer wanted $898 to fix it. Luckily, a co-worker's husband offered to fix it for $250 and the price of the part ($135). I get it back tomorrow and hopefully will enjoy driving it again. PS I agree with everyone else... the cup holders in the front are useless.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • pensfanpensfan Posts: 1
    I would like to find out if anyone else is having problems with this car. The problem I am having is after you start the car and let run for a few min, shut off the car and let it sit for 30 min. I get a noise on the restart of the car. The noise sounds like metal rubbing metal also like a pump is running dry.The noise comes from the rear of the car. When this happens the tac drops to 200 rpm and starts to run rough.

I have yet to get the dodge dealership to fix this problem. They claim they could not get it to duplicate 5 times I took it in. On the 6th attempt they claimed it was a fuel pump making the noise.

Since the last attempt to fix it I have had this problem happen 5 more times.

I have also had a radiator replaced and my alignment will not stay in place.

Other then that I love the looks and ride of the car. I got the car with every option you can get. I get a lot of looks in the car and when you wash and wax the car man does it stand out. I got the car for $21,000 msrp was $29,000.

I have only seen a few of the cars on the road.

Thanks for the help
  • silveraesilverae Posts: 3
    Do the 2003 versions of the Stratus (either Sedan or Coupe) come with side airbags?
    They were offered as an option.
  • fisherfisher Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a 04' Stratus SE. Has anyone experienced any problems with theirs?
  • Hey everyone! I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus SXT sedan with 5700 miles on it. When the car is in gear with the brake applied, I hear a creaking noise from the front whenever I turn the steering wheel either to the left or right. If the car is in park WITHOUT the brake applied and I turn the wheel I hear nothing. I bought it with 4700 miles on it and it has been doing it ever since. I always hear it when I'm braking and turning into a driveway. I took it to the dealer and they said the noise was normal. Any info/help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • pfoskettpfoskett Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me? I have recently noticed that my two front tires are always dirty with a rust-like color on the hub caps. It seems like I remember that this indicates a problem with either the brakes or wheels, but I just had the brakes replaced less than a year ago. Right after I had them replaced, I started hearing a high-pitched noise that sounded like it came from my front tires. When I took it in, the guy at the shop just said that some tires do that on certain roads. It comes and goes. I'm about to make a big trip and don't know whether I should have this looked at or not. Can anyone help me?
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    pfoskett-

If the dirt is black and can be rubbed off with your finger, it's normal; don't worry about it. If it is orange-colored, gritty and very hard to remove, you definitely have a brake problem of some kind. Good luck.

-Andrew L
  • tomk17tomk17 Posts: 135
    I have an 01 Stratus (not ES but 16" wheels) with a strange vibration problem. Any comments would be appreciated. At highway speed, the car will be smooth then a chassis vibration will start and get worse in intensity. I have to stop the car fully, then proceed and things are typically OK. The problem has been getting worse and is at a lower level now almost constantly. It's not the tires / wheels! It did it with snow tires, older summer tires, and now with new tires. It's not a steering wheel vibration leading me to think it's not in the front end. Plus, I also had the front end fully checked out and no problem found. If it means anything, I shifted into neutral once when the problem happend on the highway at 60mph. That did not make the problem go away.
  • poppiepoppie Posts: 9
    Hello,

I just had my oil changed on my 99 Stratus and the guy who did it told me that I had a very small crack in in one of the seals. I just wanted to know if anyone else have had this problem, and about how much would it cost to get fixed.

Also my AC blows out hot air and I wanted to what could be the problem and around how much would it cost to get fixed.

Thanks to all replys.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    of a 99 Stratus that had a head gasket leaking oil, cost $800 to repair.
  • poppiepoppie Posts: 9
    800? jeeez.

So would this be a head gasket problem?

I hope not.