Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Toyota's response:

Toyota Answers Questions About the Sticking Accelerator Pedal Recall
    Toyota answers questions that we see you are asking about the sticking accelerator pedal recall. Please also looks at Frequently Asked Questions For Sticking Accelerator Pedal Recall and Suspension of Sales on this site.

1. Is my car safe to drive until a fix is issued?
    The condition is rare and generally does not occur suddenly. It seems to occur when the pedal mechanism becomes worn and, in certain conditions, the accelerator pedal may become harder to depress, slower to return or, in the worst case, stuck in a partially depressed position.

2. What do I do if I experience a sticking accelerator pedal before the fix is finalized? Should I bring my car to a dealer?
    If you are experiencing this condition, immediately contact your nearest Toyota Dealer for assistance. No action is required at this time unless you feel you are experiencing this condition.

For details on what you should do if you experience a sticking accelerator pedal while driving, please review the Frequently Asked Questions For Sticking Accelerator Pedal Recall and Suspension of Sales on this site.

3. What is the actual issue affecting accelerator pedals?
    In rare instances, there is a possibility that the affected accelerator pedal may stick in a partially downward position or slowly return to the non-pressed position.

4. Is there actually a problem with the vehicle’s computer/Electronic Control Unit?
    Absolutely not. Toyota has never found an incident of unintended acceleration caused by the vehicle’s computer/electronic control unit.

5. Can I return my vehicle to Toyota if I purchased it in the five day period between the recall was announcement and Toyota stop sale on my vehicle? What are my options?
    Toyota will work with customers who have concerns about their vehicles on a case-by-case basis.

6. How will Toyota handle fixing all affected vehicles in a timely manner?
    Toyota is currently finalizing its recall remedy plans including a rapid deployment strategy of said remedy. Please continue to visit this site for updates on the recall.

7. Is this different than the Floor Mat Recall? If so, how?
    There are two different recalls. Some vehicles are affected by both.

Sticking Pedal Accelerator Recall: The condition can occur in rare instances, over time, under certain environmental conditions - there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to idle position.

Potential Floor Mat Interference with Accelerator Pedal Recall: This condition is the potential for an unsecured or incompatible driver’s floor mat to interfere with or entrap the accelerator pedal and cause it to get stuck in the wide open position. Toyota has determined that this condition can occur in vehicles in which the driver’s side floor mat is not compatible with the vehicle and/or is not properly secured.

8. What if my vehicle is affected by both recalls? Which will be addressed first?
    It is Toyota’s intention to remedy both at the same time.

9. Why are mechanically similar Lexus and Scion vehicles not affected by this recall?
    The recall affected pedal is confined to one of Toyota’s suppliers. That supplier’s pedals are not used on Lexus and Scion vehicles.

10. Which models are affected by the sticky accelerator pedal recall/stop sale?
    Toyota’s accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales is confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:

* Certain 2009-2010 RAV4,
    * Certain 2009-2010 Corolla,
    * 2009-2010 Matrix,
    * 2005-2010 Avalon,
    * Certain 2007-2010 Camry,
    * Certain 2010 Highlander,
    * 2007-2010 Tundra,
    * 2008-2010 Sequoia

Highlander hybrids and Camry hybrids are not affected by this action and will remain for sale.

Further, Camry, RAV 4, Corolla and Highlander vehicles with VINs that begin with "J" are not affected and will remain for sale.
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    For as much as you defend Toyota, you either work for them or own too much Toyota stock.

First Toyota said it was the driver causing the problem, then they said it was the floor mat, now they want you to believe the pedal. Come on, this has been going on for years now, either this some bigger coverup going on or they have been focusing too much of their effort on growth and ignored quality along the way.

Oh, and I really like the part of Toyota telling customers "if" they experience this problem, to bring the car into the dealer and they will fix. No they cannot because the so called pedal problem does not have a fix for existing customers yet as Toyota is more concerned about new sales so they are sending the pedals to the factories.

Sorry, but this is just another poor excuse by Toyota trying to address another one of their quality problems under the rug. Think you need to go back and read up on the history of the Rustundra.

Believe what you want, but seems this time Toyota has finally gotten what they have deserved, or should I say covered up, for years. :sick:
  • maple2maple2 Posts: 177
    The NHTSA since it couldn't find anything wrong in its own investigations decided that it had to do something in order to seem to be in charge. So it forced Toyota to do this bogus voluntary recall No 1 on reshaping the pedals and removing padding under the pedal. It placated the NHTSA.

100% bogus....toyota in fact was the one that jumped the gun and tried to tell the world that there was nothing to see here its just those darn floor mats again. nothing else ...just floormats. That is when the NHTSA stepped in and said "not so fast there amigo, if you think it is the mats than your going to do something about it. BUT we are still going to get the real culprit and you will fix that too"

Which is how we came to this latest gas pedal recall which is the real bogus issue because toyota admits that no accident has been caused by the "faulty pedal" .
    So what is causing the SUA? Who knows, "cough software cough" :lemon:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,707
    >Because they are not yet sure the gas pedal assembly is the core problem.
    So divert the public's attention in the same way a magician does.

I just read that the mechanism actually giving the position signal for the accelerator sensor is NOT the problem. That's what I inferred from the earlier toyo statements. A worker related to toyota said here that it's the brass bushings that jam. That is a different herring. So the bushings keep the actual pedal from returning to idle position. I find it amazing that toyota claimed the moisture presence affects the bushing and the axle within in their relative movement. The person in the disassembly video showed how strong the single return spring is.

This message has been approved.

• 774774 Posts: 101
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/toyota-recall-gas-pedal-quick-fix-9696422

Another video with some information about the current problem
    Yeah, that is what I don't get, surprised Toyota didn't try issue a recall on the Floor Mats, oh, but wait, that wasn't even really the problem as they kept saying there was no problem and it was as a result of the driver.

The pedal fix is yet another attempt to avoid the problem. Come on, how many people are doing to have to die or be injured before this is actually addressed?

Presenting the new 2010 Toyota (doesn't really matter which of their models you pick):

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,774
    Come on revit, it has been years since Toyota turned down your credit ap for that new Echo. Time to get over it. :P

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

...with solid facts and recommendations with a knowledable source.

Here is the AutoBlog link with an unemotional explanation based on fact along with solid recommendations on what to do in any modern vehicle where this might occur.

video explanation of the potential CTS-made accelerator problem

We're all gearheads here at Autoblog, with varying degrees of mechanical competence. But when the time comes to get technical – really technical – we inevitably hit up our own Sam Abuelsamid to get into the nitty gritty of modern automobiles.

Sam spent the better part of two decades working on anti-lock brake, traction and stability control systems, which means he brings a particularly keen insight to the recent Toyota recall. So Mr. A sat down with AOL Autos' Reilly Brennan and the accelerator pedal from a 2009 Toyota Camry for an impromptu deep-dive into what's causing the unintended acceleration issue and what owners of the affected models can do if their throttle pedal is pinned to the floor. Check it out after the jump and be sure to share it with anyone you know who's manning one of the eight recalled vehicles.

While AutoBlog is in no way 'in-the-know' about this issue it does present a balanced and knowledgable explanation with a seemingly knowledgable representative.
    Come on revit, it has been years since Toyota turned down your credit ap for that new Echo. Time to get over it

Yeah, you wish. :) I went with the 2009 Toyota Camry, my first Toyota, and am seriously regretting.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,707
    Someone posted this a few posts back apparent sent to toyota salespeople:

"4. Is there actually a problem with the vehicle’s computer/Electronic Control Unit?
    Absolutely not. Toyota has never found an incident of unintended acceleration caused by the vehicle’s computer/electronic control unit."

I will predict that toyota will rue that statement also.

Is there a link for this post?
    Is there expert data or facts to substantiate it?

This message has been approved.

First, it was the driver causing the problem, sometimes.
    Second, it was the Lexus dealer causing the problem, sometimes.
    Third, there were no problems, simply fabrications, sometimes.
    Fourth, there were definitely people taking the opportunity to gain monetarily from the fallout of this issue, sometimes.
    Fifth, there were people who encountered sticky pedals, sometimes.

Trying to sort all these out didn't happen at the first occurance or the 10th or the 100th occurance. Screaming 'Off with their heads' is what the crowds in France did in the 1800's. Having engineers take the time to identify the actual problem and then to design and test the right solution is 21st Century engineering.

You yourself in a number of your own posts have said that CTS has stated that the incidents across 2+ million units is very very isolated. You also noted that they also have stated that no one has been injured or killed as a result of this issue. The hysteria that you're trying to foment is simply to generate attention.

In the long view, this too shall pass and life will go on. Fixes will be installed and new pedals designed and installed and sales will resume.
    Is there a link for this post?

Here is the story that started it all:

Toyota found to keep tight lid on potential safety problems
    Then there was the response Toyota was forced to provide to save their image:

Toyota responds to L.A. Times article

Nope I was 100% accurate. YOU said so in your own post. Here is what you wrote...

toyota in fact was the one that jumped the gun and tried to tell the world that there was nothing to see here its just those darn floor mats again.

So what did the NHTSAfinally 'force' Toyota to do in the 4.6 million unit recall back in November? It forced Toyota to reshape the gas pedal to allow for greater clearance underneath in the unlikely event that still another stupid person might stack more than one floormat on top of the OEM floormat and then not secure it properly.

Then as a double precaution it 'forced' Toyota to take padding out from the floorpan underneath the pedal to allow for greater clearance underneath, again in the unlikely event that still another stupid person might stack more than one floormat on top of the OEM floormat.

This was the November recall No 1. The NHTSA wanted to be the hero in solving the floormat issue. It was all bogus IMO, but those are the facts. Disputing them is senseless.

This new issue with the pedal is entirely different.
    For those that still want to convince themself that Toyota took aggressive action for the sake of the consumer...Turns out, the decision to stop producing these vehicles wasn't made by Toyota alone. The Detroit News reports that Toyota is required by law to stop selling the vehicles since there is no fix available yet.

Nevertheless, Toyota spokesman Mike Michels is reported saying that the company's decision to stop selling the recalled vehicles was voluntary, but that they also had a legal requirement to do so. How do you voluntary do something that you're obligated to do?

Toyota was legally required to stop selling recalled models
    Yep absolutely agree. Good post.

This is where Toyota slapped the LAT down for fabricating facts and misrepresenting Toyota's answers. I'm glad that you posted the reference to it. It's what shut up the LAT and stopped it in its tracks.
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    Ho , ho, ho !! Now we know the real reason for Toyota bashing !!! :P Seriously,toyotas are really good vehicles.. They are just making a mountain of a molehill!!
    Are you selling your 09 Camry?? I am interested if the dealer lowballs you and if it is paid for ?? :shades:
    This is where Toyota slapped the LAT down for fabricating facts and misrepresenting Toyota's answers. I'm glad that you posted the reference to it. It's what shut up the LAT and stopped it in its tracks.

image image image

Is that how you viewed it? Too funny cause the rest of us saw it as Toyota's continued cover up and more excuses.
    The facts speak for themselves. The LAT shup up after Toyota posted it's reponse.

The long view is that the fixes will be made, new pedals will be installed and production/sales will resume.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,451
    i've watched a couple these 'dissect the pedal' videos.
    There is the pedal may not return due to some manufacturing flaw (see referenced video).
    There is the one additional floor mat could cause the pedal to not return.
    Does this cover all the North American problems?
    Why are the same vehicles being recalled in Asia and Europe?