Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,898
    edited July 2010
    Yes, the Toyota PR people must be doing a fine job as usual. Toyota sales are up and things are looking good for the future. I guess building great cars has nothing to do with it.

If PR could do all that I wonder why Chrysler and GM don't hire some good PR folks? In their case I guess building crappy cars has nothing to do with them going bankrupt, it was just bad PR !!

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• kq0b1kq0b1 Posts: 14
    All the nay-sers have sunk into their holes again. Now they are back to comparing Avalon to Camary. However saw the 2011 Avalon
    nice but not worth trading in my 2009 for it. Toyota has kept price Limited close to 2009 while giving few more features
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Posts: 177
    "If PR could do all that I wonder why Chrysler and GM don't hire some good PR folks?"

They did hire them, but they're all on here posting bad things about Toyotas. :)
    One of the guys doing a lot of the Toyota bashing admitted that he wants his Ford stock to go up at the expense of Toyota ! Kind of sad if he thinks his posts are going to make any difference !!

LOL, you are probably right about those PR folks !!

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    No need for 'Yota bashing. Ford's got a pretty nice all-new Explorer that should help his Ford stock immensely.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,969
    Ford's got a pretty nice all-new Explorer that should help his Ford stock immensely.

Ford is doing very well for sure. They have top of the line across the line. Edge, Escape, Explorer, Expedition and my favorite the Flex. Toyota has nothing on that lineup. If you like surging at stop lights and the crap shoot for SUA, buy Toyota by all means. If you want well designed and engineered vehicles, GO FORD..... :shades:

PS
    Ford stock has pushed my 401K above the highs of 2007.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,179
    I hope you're diversified because this Ford stock thing won't go on forever. However, I do appreciate the great job the current ford management has done. Just wonder how the UAW will try to screw it up in negotiations down the road?
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,345
    I also really like the Flex. In another year I am leaving the world of vans and such. Were that not so the Flex would be on my list.
    edited July 2010
    The Flex reminds me of a squashed loaf of bread with wheels. The new Exploder is just about as bad as it is just a Flex underneath.

I don't know how someone could talk about Toyota's causing accidents while praising the Flex and Explorer when the Explorer has the worst record in history of suddenly going belly up and killing folks.

Are your memories that short?

Don't count me as an Explorer fan. I test drove one way the heck back in 94 and hated it. I've had more recent offerings as rentals and they did nothing for me.

I think for the Flex you have to be the sort that likes retro looks. Looks like you took a 50s Ford wagon and made it bigger. I like the looks of PT Cruisers and HHRs as well so that's where that is coming from.
    Sorry Fezo, I wasn't singling you out, I just replied to the last post, etc. cause I am kind of lazy !!

No problem. I wouldn't want to be mistaken for an Explorer fan.... :blush:
    I think about bailing every day on Ford Stock. I got in at $1.76 and don't want to be greedy. I would not consider Toyota stock if I did bail out. I don't trust the company to do right by their customers or their stockholders. I don't follow any company blindly. Many that have done that with Toyota have gotten burned.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The "old" Explorer was a competitor to the 4runner, the new one to the HL.

Just another Ford Mistook.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,671
    based on sales volume, the 4 runner is not an explorer competitor.
    And I should care about sales volume...?
    Based on sales the first half of this year Ford has sold 225K SUVs and Toyota has sold 113K SUVs. So Ford sells 2 SUVs for every one Toyota sells. And that was the best part of the market for Toyota. I don't believe it is the fear of SUA that has hurt Toyota sales. It is their being caught in so many lies & deception.
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Posts: 67
    edited July 2010
    I agree with the point that you are making. I had an "old Explorer" which was replaced about 8 years ago when I bought a Sequoia. After I put a limited slip differential in the rear end of the Explorer it was fairly good on the beach, only getting stuck once or twice a season. At least it was on a truck platform. The new Explorer being on a car platform, I don't think it would be wise to take it off road for any reason, even with "AWD".

The old Explorer, although inferior in off road function, could be considered to be in the same category as the 4Runner.. The new Explorer can nolonger follow the 4Runner off the road. It will be functionally like a Highlander. Numbers sold do not change how a vehicle functions.(competes) The Explorer certainly wins the vehicles sold competition both then and probably in the future in it's new category.
    Some of us are more than capable of adding a brake override circuit. A simple relay that opens the fuel pump circuit and is energized by the e-brake microswitch.

I suspect it might be worth adding to any "new" vehicle.
    edited July 2010
    I don't think, seriously, that being on a "car" platform represents any sort of real problem, off road or on.

"..It will be functionally like a highlander.."

Not for the moment, for now the 2011 Explorer will have a much more functional F/awd system than has the current HL. But I expect that by the next model year the HL will have adopted the new Explorer's F/awd system design, also now already used in the Sienna, Venza, Escape, Tribute, etc.

By the way, just how did this 2011 Explorer thread get over "here".
    I think someone happened to mention that in spite of all the Toyota SUA hysteria, the Explorer still holds the record in killing people.

edited July 2010
    The problem for toyota is they have not improved like Ford has. If you take a look at the IIHS statistics the latest data has the toyota Camry above average on insurance claims and the Ford Explorer well below average for the same. That includes a much better chance of survival in a collision driving the Explorer. That is before you factor in the unknown chance of SUA, which Toyota is King of the UA.

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composite_cls.aspx?y=2006-2008&cls=2
    edited July 2010
    Lets not forget that while the Explorer is (was) RWD the Camry is a patently UNSAFE FWD vehicle. Makes the Explorer a much more stable platform, more benign handling, on adverse roadbed conditions.
    Thanks for posting that info.

Under the Insurance Institute's TOP SAFETY PICKS, for Mid Size SUVS, I don't see the Explorer listed at all, but I do see the Lexus RX, the Toyota Venza, and the Toyota Highlander !

Also wwest, nearly all the top safety picks are either front wheel drive or all wheel drive. Very, very few rear wheel drive cars made the list.

Not sure which chart you are looking at. The RX has a 103 rating which is worse than average for the segment lux SUVs. While the Explorer 4WD has a 73 cost rating. Far better the average. The Camry is also rated poor for their group. If you are going by crash test ratings. Good luck when you get hit in a Camry by a large PU truck. The only ratings that count are how people fared in actual accidents. The charts I posted give you that information to compare.
    edited July 2010
    maybe you don't care, but the buyers do. that's my point.
    can you back that up? even through the rollover 'era' it had a great overall safety record. check the congressional records of the hearings.
    have you gotten your recall letter(s) yet?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,695
    NHTSA and whomever else compiles safety data somehow overlooks SUA when they figure up toyota safety particulars. Humm. Nasty business practices are existing all over.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Apparently you don't know how to read your own chart. Insurance costs don't have much to do with passenger safety. It is the cost to repair the vehicle. Of course it costs more to repair a Lexus than an Explorer. You should know that without looking at a chart.

If you want back up do your own research. Surely you know how to google.

We should be getting a recall notice on the 07 LX sometime in August on the steering column retaining clamp or something like that. We haven't had any problems for the 38,000 miles we've driven the truck so far. If only Ford was that conscientious a lot of lives would have been saved.