Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,905
    It might have been as easy as that to save those lives.

That is a sad and distinct possibility.
  • Saylor could not shift the lever in to neutral. Why might that happen? Might it lock under some sort of out-of-control SUA ECU non-working quirk of some kind? If someone could answer that question accurately for me I would stop calling for Babwa-Wa-Wa to immediately retire. :blush:

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    iluvmysephia1 says, "Saylor could not shift the lever in to neutral"

How do we really know that?

It was not on the 911 call.

Was it in a report somewhere that I missed?

If it was not on the 911 call, how could anyone know that he tried but it would not go into neutral?

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Boring. All of this has been beaten to death. Shall we move on?
    edited October 2010
    I'm just as sick of it as everyone. I'm just axin a question, trying to find out if I missed something earlier..........
    :shades:
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,874
    Me too. This tracks perfectly with what happened with Audi. This country is full of would be scammers. The good thing is that Toyota/Lexus is going strong, sales were not hurt, and they have defended themselves very vigorously and successfully.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    edited October 2010
    2012 Toyota Celica, they've gained this longtime Mitsubishi and Kia fan in to their stable as well.

Hey, when I ask about the Saylor case I'm only inquiring, I'm not deciding one way or another. Like the 1947 Roswell UFO crash, the Saylor Lexus rental sedan crash due to a jammed floor mat leaves some dangling participles that demand answers from certain curious types.

Like rushing in on the crash site and taking away little grey men that don't look like us. That stunk real bad. Then the U.S. government rushing everyone away from the base hospital exam room and certain witnesses disappearing mysteriously.
    For good. :surprise:

You all know the gig.

• mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    Could you please think before you write? This makes no sense whatsoever.Could you try again and this time slower.I have never flamed anybody before,but try as I may I cannot make any sense of this post.What are "driver specifications",What is the "worst" ever.. :confuse:
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,206
    It was just a spammer trying to sneak a link in his post. Gone now.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

'Yota trying to hide surging cars.

Naughty

Court documents: Toyota quietly bought back surging vehicles from owners

LOS ANGELES — Toyota Motor Corp. bought back cars from drivers who reported sudden acceleration defects, but the company didn't tell federal regulators about the problem, according to court documents filed in the sprawling litigation against the automaker.

Plaintiffs' lawyers contend the Japanese company compelled the owners to sign confidentiality agreements that prevented them from speaking publicly about the issues they encountered.

In some cases dating back to 2006, Toyota's own technicians experienced the vehicles speeding up without pressing the gas pedal, according to the documents filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court.

"The deeper we dig into the facts that surround Toyota, the more damning the evidence that Toyota was aware of the issue and failed to act responsibly," plaintiffs' attorney Steve Berman said. "The revelation that they bought up the cars in question and prevented the owners from talking about their experience is curious at best, nefarious at worst."

Toyota spokesman Mike Michels denied the allegations, saying company technicians weren't able to duplicate the sudden acceleration claimed by drivers in two instances.

"After having thoroughly analyzed these vehicles and driven them for thousands of miles, Toyota (technicians) and engineers have not been able to replicate the customers' acceleration concerns nor found any related issues or conditions in these vehicles," Michels said in a statement. "In fact, test driving of these vehicles is ongoing and they are operating safely."

The automaker didn't respond to the allegations that it required the owners to remain silent and said it looks forward to defending itself in court.

Hundreds of lawsuits were filed against Toyota after the automaker began recalling millions of vehicles because of acceleration problems in several models and brake glitches with the Prius hybrid.

The automaker has recalled more than 10 million vehicles worldwide over the past year. Federal officials said they have received about 3,000 complaints about sudden acceleration and estimated the problem could be involved in the deaths of 93 people over the past decade.

Last month, Toyota paid an undisclosed amount to settle a lawsuit with the relatives of four people killed in August 2009 when a driver was unable to stop a runaway Lexus.

The high-profile case helped draw attention to the acceleration phenomenon, which in some cases was blamed on faulty floor mats trapping vehicles' accelerator pedals.

Some of the remaining lawsuits seek compensation for injury and death stemming from sudden acceleration, while others claim economic loss from owners who say the value of their cars and trucks plummeted after the recalls.

All the federal cases were consolidated and assigned to a judge in Southern California. The next hearing is Nov. 9.
  • NEW YORK (AP) -- Toyota Motor Corp. asked a federal court to throw out lawsuits over acceleration defects in its cars, saying many of the plaintiffs never identified any defect or experienced sudden, unintended acceleration.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota-asks-court-to-dismiss-apf-3610652525.html
    All Toyotas do that don't they? I know my 2007 Sequoia will lurch forward if I don't keep a solid pressure on the brake pedal at a light. Someone here said that was normal for Toyotas.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    I've never owned a Toyota so I have no idea. Would be quite interesting if it pans out and includes more Ford models tho.
    A friend of ours just got rid of a new Corolla for that very reason. She did not like the lurching. Especially in reverse. Bought a Hyundai Santa Fe and loves it. It is not like SUA. The vehicle just jumps forward of backward from a dead stop without touching the throttle. I got used to it. My Nissan PU truck does not do it. I think it has something to do with the AC kicking in and out.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Posts: 231
    Are you saying that the vehicles actually move some distance ("jump forward or backward") with your foot on the brake at a dead stop? If this is related to the A/C compressor cycling on, a slight increase in engine RPM might be noticed, but certainly not enough to move the vehicle with your foot actually on the brake.

I currently own an Avalon and a Tacoma and have never experienced what you are describing.
    No only if you are sitting there with your foot OFF the brake, not touching the accelerator pedal.
  • dchevdchev Posts: 38
    Interesting! Usually, you have your foot ON gas pedal when you are at a traffic light! How come you take your foot OFF brake pedal and expect the car not to move? I describe this as silly at best or s....d at worst!
    People still do not know how to drive and complain for ridiculous things!
    You cannot trash a whole company for incompetence of some people!
    Seriously, who does that?

At a stop light, every idiot knows to keep your foot on the brake until you are ready to go.

Don't they?
    At a stop light, every idiot knows to keep your foot on the brake until you are ready to go.

Don't they?

Evidently not as that is probably the reason for the lurching. I am not a two foot driver with an automatic so my foot stays on the brake until I am ready to move. In my Sequoia you can feel the surge to go forward with your foot on the brake. And I don't think from what I have seen on the road that an IQ test is given for a Driver's license. Idiot drivers outnumber good drivers by about 2 to 1 around here.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Posts: 231
    I did not want to come right out and use the "I" word, but someone who gets rid of their Corolla because it moves ("lurches") while in gear, without their foot being on the brake, might qualify!
    Well she is 78 years old and traded a RAV4 in on the Corolla. The RAV4 never gave her any trouble and she loved it. She does not seem to be having any trouble with the Sante Fe, so my guess is the problem was the Corolla.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,874
    Like about 100% of the other SA problems, the problem here appears to be an older driver who can't tell the gas pedal from the brake. Just plain silly.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,154
    ...the only Toyota-branded vehicle in which I'd be remotely interested is on the list - the Avalon.
    Anyone who thinks that is a design flaw is just smoking spice or something.....

Driver training and common sense tells everyone that when stopped, in gear, you need to have your foot on the brake, firmly.

Anyone who drives any other way is just NOT doing it right.

And also - two-footed driving is a NO-NO for automatic transmissions !!! One right foot does it all !!!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    edited May 2011
    way back in driver's ed being told to keep my right foot on the brake while stopped at a red light. Of course, I cheated and used my left foot to hold the brake pedal down at times but always went back to holding it down with my right foot. It's just the old-skool correctoid way, man! :D

Anyone else remember this or do a lot of you hold down the brake pedal with your left foot while being stopped at red lights?

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "when stopped, in gear, you need to have your foot on the brake, firmly.."

Rapidly becoming an urban legend, that.

Almost all modern day vehicles rolling off the production line have "hill start", often referred to as "hill hold".

With the advent of more ROBUST torque converter lockup clutches the torque converter, LITTLE used torque converter, was down-sized, made less powerful.

So, now, on level terrain the TC will often not have enough coupling at idle to move the vehicle. Conversely it also does not have enough coupling to hold the vehicle stationary when stopped on a uphill facing incline.

Move your foot from the brake pedal on the way to placing it on the gas pedal, the car rolls, begins to roll, and "Hill Start" detects the roll and automatically applies the brakes.

Now when you finally get your foot to the gas pedal and apply pressure the brakes have been applied so there will be a slight delay in the DBW system's response to the gas pedal pressure.

Some vehicle's flash the TC light and activate a short beep to make the driver aware of what just happened.
  • jennicavjennicav Posts: 1
    HaHa I find this hilarious. I was one of the passengers in the cobalt. I sustained serious injuries from the lady driving the toyota sienna. The immigrant decided to cross the freeway and stop right in the lane that we were driving in. There was no steering issues with the cobalt and there wasnt even anytime to swerve out of the way. Her van got T boned and it was 100% her fault. Cobalt was a great car. No problems
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,206
    edited May 2011
    Wow, I'm amazed you found us! (surprised that one of the links still works).

Hope you are mending ok.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Regardless of any technology advances.....

Your right foot is sitting there doing NOTHING anyway when you are stopped at a light - so why not burn a few calories by holding the brake down, instead of relying on some "mystery technology" to keep you from rolling forward?

That's how it's still taught in driver's ed, and how it SHOULD be taught.