Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,043
    NASA had two unintended shuttle crashes. Both design failures, So nothing is perfect.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,370
    >Even NASA tried to find any faults in Toyotas but came up empty handed.

NASA checked for radio interference, electromagnetic interference from typically surface power lines that might have interfered with the electronics. If the tenet that there's a problem in the electronics is so silly, why would anyone have bothered to have NASA check? That alone gives validity.

Have you proven that there are no electronic flaws?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,251
    And we're back to tin whiskers. (aviationtoday.com)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,370
    Interesting article. Tin whiskers are unavoidable without the Pb that should be in the solder alloy.
    Nothing like unintended consequences shutting down a few satellites eh?

I wouldn't want to be near the assembly line where they are soldering the stuff though.

I had no idea they had abandoned lead in PB construction. To many eco nuts allowed to be involved in policy. Maybe those people killed in SUA should be suing the Feds or whichever agency is making poor regulations.

I see old TVs in the dumpsters at my storage all the time. Off to the landfill.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,949
    Well, to be fair, Camry and Prius seem to attract drivers who often are less than "with it" when on the road..

Floormat issue was a horrible coincidence, IMO.
    And it's happened locally...driver error couldn't be at play here, nah no way
    An 80 year old guy hit the gas on his new SL63 AMG and ended up in the bank manager's office of my local Chase bank. Not a word in the paper. Does MB keep a tighter rein on the news than Toyota? Though this guy did not try to lie his way out of responsibility. He was apologetic to the manager for making a huge mess of his office Friday just before closing time.
    edited July 2012
    Exactly. MB had no news to suppress. Pedal misapplication is not news, unless it's a Toyota and the oblivious driver doesn't want to admit a mistake.

And that 80 year old is doing it right - not only by admitting simple error and moving on, but by daring to live it up in a car like that at his age to begin with. Excellent :shades:
    It was a pretty little car. The girls in the bank all felt so sorry for him. At least no one was hurt the boss had stepped out of his office. Mercedes built to break the bank. :shades:

"Toyota has modified the start-stop buttons in most of its models so that they shut the engine off after three quick pushes, or after being continuously pushed for two seconds. That's two big changes from the old policy that required a continuous three-second push in order to shut down the power."

Toyota modifies start-stop buttons in case of panic (Detroit Free Press)

• eliaselias Posts: 1,934
    gagrice, you stated that both shuttle losses were due to design failures, yet the first one was not: the designers warned in advance not to launch because the temperatures were well below design goals & tests.
    we'd all do well to [re-]read the Feynman addendum to the report on the Challenger.
    I was responding to a poster that acted like I should trust NASA on the Toyota failures.

Even NASA tried to find any faults in Toyotas but came up empty handed.

My response was:

NASA had two unintended shuttle crashes. Both design failures, So nothing is perfect.

I should have said NASA is not infallible, read reports on the two shuttle crashes.
  • pvtcablepvtcable Posts: 7
    buyer beware of Toyota's next new problems. The Toyota Tundra apparently has a problem with the flex fuel vehicles. The ignition sticks in the vehicle will not start then the vehicle run rough until it is serviced. This happens after 7 or 8 Phillips.the only way to avoid the problem is don't run less than a quarter tank of gas, don't run the car for less than 5 minutes, only use flex fuel only if you can find it.
    the vehicle will run rough and hesitate when accelerating and even in passing gear. Watch out for that 1.there is a little low Realty from Toyota even if you are a repeat customer.regardless how much you spend on that vehicle there is No quick resolve.you will need to refer to the lemon law.Toyota will have to pay legal fees using the lemon law.
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    edited April 2013
    Yesterday, I experienced the accelerator problem, but was resolved. I put no blame on anyone (but myself) but just wanted to share what I found.

Basically the gas pedal got stuck when I pressed down and when I lifted off it stayed down. The car kept on accelerating so I stayed on the brakes to keep the speed down a bit. Shifted it to Neutral and it just bounced off the rev limiter. Then I remembered folks had problems with it getting stuck with 3rd party floor mats and I use one. I reached down pulled the mat back and then the gas pedal snapped back up. Thankfully the road was empty at the time.

I pulled over, took the 3rd party floor mat out and went back to running my errands. The mat probably got put back wrong from a car wash attendent. I get it washed quite a bit. Usually the mat never moves but sometimes they pull it out to vacuum it. In all my years of driving a car (27 years), I would have never imagined the gas pedal getting stuck against a raised rubber mat.

Anways, if you experience this, pull the mats back towards your seat.

All that said, I still enjoy driving the car.

Note: I didn't get the recall work done but I suppose it's a good safety precaution.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    I had this happen over 2 decades ago in a Ford and a Mazda. After that, I always used the floor mat clips you can buy in just about any store. I used them until the automakers started putting in the floor mat clips in and corresponding holes in the mats. Since then, I always use the clips, and I only buy Weathertech floor mats, which are engineered to fit your specific car AND they have the holes so you can use the car's mat holder.
    Toyota accelerator-crash case starts

Noriko Uno was afraid of driving fast, often avoiding the freeway and taking the same route every day from her Upland, Los Angeles home to and from her family's sushi restaurant. She had put only 16,000km on her 2006 Camry in about four years.

So when her car unexpectedly accelerated to speeds up to 160km/h on a street with a posted limit of 48km/h, the 66-year-old bookkeeper did everything she could to slow down, stepping on the brake pedal and pulling up the handbrake lever as she swerved to avoid hitting other vehicles.

Uno was killed when her car went onto a median and struck a telephone pole and a tree.

Her case is the first to go to trial in a proceeding that could determine whether Toyota should be held liable for sudden unintended acceleration in its vehicles - a claim made by drivers that plagued the Japanese automaker and led to lawsuits, settlements and recalls of millions of its cars and SUVs.

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry-news/toyota-accelerator-crash-case-starts- -1.1550273#.Ue23XKz5nPU
  • buggy2buggy2 Posts: 3
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this as it does not exactly within the year/models noted. But, I've been doing research on my own.
    Approx 3 weeks ago, while turning into a parking stall in a small lot, my 2004 Toy Matrix suddenly accelerated and I could not stop it even quickly checking to make sure I had the brake pedal pressed, not the gas. The car slammed into a concrete building and the insurance totaled it. There was approx 110 K miles on it.

My research has been extensive. What I have learned is that it is neither the floor mats nor a sticky gas pedal that i causing the problem. Both a NYT article and research by Safety Research http://www.safetyresearch.net/ believe this problem is an electrical one. Specifically, the computer/s used. Note that after the recall of, and replacement, of mats and gas pedal, this problem continues. Even in cases when the airbags deploy and the black box engages, there is nothing recorded on said box during these episodes. As one of my contacts above said, "You can't record an electron."

The recall for models and dates as posted do not correspond to the actual data collected.

I am having problems with Toyota Corp. I was advised to notify them about my accident, and did so. I was assigned a "Case Manager" (good grief!), who contacted me by email. I attempted to respond, but replying to his email resulted in a bounce back. Unidirectional communication. Phone calls impossible. I was not immediately available when he called, and when I returned call even within a few minutes, he was "not available", "out of the office", and no one knew when he would be available. I'm not sure what a "Case Manager" does ... at least one that is not involved in health care, but have given up chasing this guy around.

One thing that I learned from my contacts: Despite the vehicle being a problem, your insurance rates will go up. I will likely have to go to court over this issue.

Another thing: One organization says that the sudden acceleration most often occurs on highways OR IN PARKING LOTS!!

There is more, but I will stop for now.
    There is nothing that I can find about this trial that is available doing a search. I've been waiting for something. Anything. But there's zip. Have you found anything?

Don't know how many of you read about "driver error" being the alleged problem. This trial is important ... for all of us. I wish that I lived closer to LA, so that I could attend and report back.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    edited August 2013
    It looks like the trial started just a couple of weeks ago and is expected to go on for at least 2 months.

Driver Error No Factor In Fatal '09 Toyota Crash, Jury Told

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited October 2013
    The California case in your link was decided in Toyota's favor.

This one just went the other way:

Okla. jury: Toyota liable in acceleration crash (boston.com)

There's several hundred more cases pending.

So Toyota has already paid out $1 billion in hush money. With 100s of cases to go. Looks like their attorneys will be able to retire on just the Toyota lawsuits. I noticed the other day the Bob Baker Lexus is not anymore. They are now part of El Cajon Toyota. I think the lawsuit against Bob Baker is ongoing. They did cause that accident that killed the cop and his family.
    Bob Baker recently lost an appeal in their case to dump their liability onto Toyota/Lexus.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,237
    that's an interesting decision. I can't quite grasp why the dealer would be held responsible for an alleged factory defect

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

That's the case where the dealer put the wrong floormats in the loaner car. My memory is fuzzy, but they may have even stacked two sets of mats in there, and another customer had previously complained to the receptionist about them.

edited October 2013
    Toyota settles the Oklahoma one before the punitive damage phase began.

Toyota Agrees to Settlement in Fatal Acceleration Crash (NY Times)

"Toyota agreed on Friday to a settlement with the families of two women in a fatal crash the morning after an Oklahoma jury became the first to find the company responsible for the unintended acceleration of a car.

The verdict came after Toyota had won its first three trials over the acceleration issue. Legal analysts said it could embolden plaintiffs in hundreds of other lawsuits that have been filed against the automaker.

The case is also significant because it is a verdict in a jurisdiction considered to be conservative, and the amount of compensation awarded is substantial."

They put a heavy set of rubber floor mats from an RX into the ES350 which was blamed for the uncrontrolled acceleration and high speed crash killing all four occupants. Toyota did accept $10 million in responsibility. Of course that was a "no fault" settlement.
    Thank you for keeping us posted!