Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    You are correct. Cable-controlled pedals were always getting stuck due to one problem or another with the cable or its attachments at either end.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Posts: 231
    The big difference is that if a cable controlled gas pedal stuck, a toe lift under the pedal would usually correct the problem. If that didn't work, turning off the ignition would work for certain. We had control of the vehicle, there was no computer to over-ride our actions.
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    Welcome to the 21st century! Imagine how Orville and Wilbur would feel if they could sit in the cockpit of a 777!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    not exactly true, if the binding was under the hood.
  • djohnson1djohnson1 Posts: 44
    Sorry, wwest, but I've had two cars with throttle cables that stuck.
    One was an old Chevy 6 cylinder. I was in college and it was really in bad shape. Never fixed it. But it didn't have too much power and you could 1, turn off the key, although it didn't quit running very fast (it sort of dieseled a bit), and 2, you could pull the accelerator pedal back up. Probably some worn bushings or something.

My second cable throttle car to stick was a Buick Skylark Sportswagon. Can't remember the year, but GM had poorly designed motor mounts that when they failed -- and most of them did sooner or later -- it allowed the motor to torque or twist, lifting up in the engine compartment, thus causing the carb linkage to pull wide open. It was fixed with a cable lock to hold it.
    Regards,
    Denny
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    What year Sportwagon? I had a 1968 Buick Special Deluxe wagon which was the Sportwagon's smaller, plainer sister. Mine had a 350 V-8 with a 2 bbl carb.
  • On the RAV-4 2010 models with a "J vin number: Were the J Vin #'s excluded from the RAV-4 recall, or or were ALL 2010 RAV-4's recalled for the sticky gas pedal? I was told the Densel (sorry for misspelling) pedal was not at issue and vehicles equipped with it were not recalled; also that the "J" vin #'s had the Densel/Chinese manufactured pedals...not that I believe the car dealership that provided this assurance on the car I am considering. I would rather ask the folks on this forum and look forward to finding out what I should rely on, and what is "dealer fluff". Thanks.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    None of the Toyota/Lexus "announced"/publicized causes for SUA were the true causes.

Toyota even said so in the case of the "sticking", non-Denso, gas pedal.
  • Then, ALL of the RAV-4's were at risk -- regardless of what gas pedal was originally installed in the vehicle?
    Yes, until Toyota announces otherwise then buyers should consider that ANY Toyota, Lexus, or Scion might be subject to the engine/transaxle ECU firmware flaw that results, VERY rarely results, in these SUA incidents.

But my guess is that the public will NEVER see such an announcement, Toyota will find and fix the firmware flaw, all future vehicles will incorporate the fix, and the public will NEVER be the wiser.

For Toyota, even 4 or 5 deaths, the Saylor family, does not justify the need to announce the existence of a firmware flaw this insidious along with a fleetwide recall of this class.

For owners it would be like playing Russian Roulette....
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Posts: 177
    Odd how these supposed acceleration problems disappeared after the initial flurry of complaints. It's been a few months now, hasn't it.

John
    edited June 2010
    Not odd at all, just the way things sometimes work out in the world of real time, process control, firmware/software programming. Sometimes these flaws are so rare the end user sees the "event" so rarely, once a year, or even once in ten years (it HAS happened), that it is deemed unimportant, not worthy of reporting.

And just look at how Sikes was "treated" by Toyota's PR team.....
  • Well, wish me luck, folks, as I went ahead and purchased the RAV-4 - Russian Roulette notwithstanding. This is the way of the business world, isn't it? Proceed as if nothing was wrong, until it is impossible to ignore or deny the existence of an issue. Toyota claims their Star Safety System will override any runaway acceleration that might occur. Here's hoping I don't find out how good the System is (or isn't...).
    Were you nearby I could readily show you that your RAV4, no Toyota, has ANY safety previsions to protect you in the case of certain SUA events. I was in Tampa just last week but don't plan to be in FL again until the next 24 hours of daytona, if even then.
  • From what I'm reading on this and other forums, the general belief is that Toyota vehicles are a potential death trap and the problems experienced to date are just tip of the iceberg. Well, I own the vehicle now, so I surely hope that is not the case. Is it the gas pedal, or is it the electronics/computer? Wish I had the knowledge to form a valid opinion. Guess I should have avoided the brand altogether and then I wouldn't be concerned...
    edited June 2010
    Considering the evidence I have very little doubt, do not doubt, that the problem lies within the engine/transaxle ECU control firmware, specifically the cruise control section. My company has many years, since '69, of experience composing real time process control software and trouble-shooting same, for ourselves and many, a myriad, of other vendors.

"..potential death trap..."

Having one of these SUA events occur is probably equal to playing russian roulette with a million chambers in the gun but only one with a bullet. Lethal SUA would probably be one in ten million.

"..should have avoided the brand altogether.."

There are maybe two or three, five at the most, companies in the world today capable of supplying certifiably reliable and "robust" firmware for these new engine/transaxle control systems. The two main ones IMMHO are NipponDenso (Denso US), and Bosch. So vehicular "brand" probably doesn't matter as much as which software composition source is used by the brand you choose.

At this point in time I would choose Bosch since they do not have the "heads-down"(***) cultural history of the Japanese.

*** Don't point out flaws that are possibly the responsibility, FAULT, of someone "above". Keep your head down or it might get chopped off.
  • Thanks again for your input and your knowledge. I'm a little bit hypersensitive to electronic/computer issues, as I just gave up a 2001 Santa Fe with many oddball electronic issues (radio turned itself on and off on a regular basis, doors that locked and unlocked themselves, a defective oxygen sensor (input?) that remains defective after being replaced, etc.) So I am familiar with automotive electronic malfunctions but not the reasons for them - just the end result. I hope in time I will stop thinking about the possibility of becoming an unfortunate statistic!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I'm assuming you're single? If my significant other decided for me that 1 in ten million was acceptable odds, well let's just say I wouldn't be driving that vehicle.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Posts: 231
    I think it is fair to say that with the electronics and computer controlled "drive by wire" features that are on ALL current vehicles, it might be impossible to pick a vehicle that does not have the "1 in 10 million" odds of a potential failure!

We should be more concerned about snake bites and lightening strikes.