Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• I think you just said that Toyota has an "unintended acceleration" problem that may affect a bunch of their vehicles. They either don't know, or won't tell, what the real problem is, and therefore a lot of folks have legimate concerns about their Toyota vehicles.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    What this discussion isn't:
    1. A "dance on the grave of Toyota" topic - if you're only here to revel in the misery of the company or Toyota vehicle owners, you're in the wrong place. Taking delight in the misfortune of others isn't welcome anywhere in our Forums.

2. A psychiatrist's office - it's not the place to tell others that their fears are irrational. Keep in mind that others may have a different level of risk tolerance than you do, and please respect that difference.

Further inflammatory comments (and associated graphics) are subject to removal without notice.

Please stick to discussing the ISSUE and not other members of this forum. Thank you!

kirstie_h

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bmgpebmgpe Posts: 62
    No. Try reversing the letters "i" and "e" in the word "rivet" and you might get the joke....
    So serious!
  • I called my dealer's (repair dept) on Wednesday 1/27/10 to ask if my car was being recalled. He asked for my VIN number. I didn't know it. He asked for my telephone number. I gave it to him. He supposedly looked it up and said "don' t worry, your car is fine". I told him I was going to Connecticut that afternoon, and he said "your car is new, you will have no problem". On Saturday I checked the website and found that my car had a VIN number that matched the recalls. This man purposely lied to me.
  • I took his word that my car was fine.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    This man purposely lied to me.

How do you know that for sure? What motivation does he have to purposely lie? You're assuming that your phone number accurately matches up with your VIN number in the database he's checking. Why not call him back with the VIN number and see if it matches what you found on the other website? If he still says no, you've got some other evidence that you can question him about.
  • Apparently if the Camry built in Kentucky has a VIN beginning with 4T1 it may have a Denso pedal.

At least my 2010 SE does.
  • A few, a very few, people have reported a problem.

I am driving a 2006 Avalon XLS with a CTS pedal and it has 46,000 miles on it. I tried stacking floor mats and I was not able to make the mats reach anywhere near the bottom of the gas pedal.

I have noticed no change at all in the gas pedal function since early 2006. I figure the odds on my car having a problem with the pedal are about one in millions and millions of Toyotas sold since 2006. It's a car and a mechanical object that can break at any time, so I have to be prepared when I'm behind the wheel.

Be prepared. The Boy Scouts have a good motto don't you know.

And I just had the oil hose replaced under the recall, so that's good to go for at least another 46,000 miles I figure. The old oil hose seemed to be just fine - no cracks, bulges, nothing, but if they want to give me something free I'm all for it.

Oh well, some people expect perfection. They will always be disappointed, at least in this life.

John
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,601
    Thank you for that. Well said!
  • I checked my pedal this morning and found I have the CTS.

I also noticed that the side of the pedal slightly brushes against the carpet that is on the side of the center console. I don't know why they designed it to be that close to the carpet. Looks like it could stick if something got between the carpet and the pedal.

Has anyone else noticed this?
  • link title

Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Toyota From Fixing Cars

Their complaint “asks the Court to enjoin Toyota from implementing any fixes in the accelerator pedals of the subject vehicles without approval from the NHTSA.” To those who are not familiar with a strange language called Legalese, “enjoin” means “issue an injunction,” or, in even plainer English, “order someone to stop doing something.”

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • sharonklsharonkl Posts: 660
    I am just passing theses videos along for individuals to review and help explain in basic/nonprofessional language how pedal in question is assembled, functions, etc. Video is quite informative, especially if you have even a small degree of knowledge/experience about computer technology and the little bugs that can occur and can be difficult to pinpoint/and/or correct. Yes, multiple computer technology systems are undeniably a part of the sequencial steps of process in pressing gas pedal to ultimately the actual engine acceleration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnFp2yLBnNQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnFp2yLBnNQ

This below video is great - done by Consumer Reports Auto Engineer on auto comparison between a Toyota and VW - HOW TO STOP YOUR TOYOTA. I did like the VW demonstration that has brake override system so vehicle can always be stopped. I do not personally like VW autos, but did like how brake override system works, and how it appears to be great safety device for any possible problems with unexplained accleration problems. AS MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL I FEEL THIS IS MUST WATCH FOR ALL OF US.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/cars/safety/how-to-stop-your-car-du- ring-sudden-acceleration/17188412001/48234862001/

Toyota is not the only auto manufacturer that has higher complaints than other manufacturers. But their complaints do seem higher than other auto manufacturers per government statistics. Since I own a 2006 RAV4, I am very interested about the issues and my own safety. My vehicle is not among the recalls, but have had intermittant minor unexplained increases of aceleration incidents - all could be controlled though. I am not sure my vehicle issues are related, but feel I must stay informed and be knowledgeable for my own safety. Presently I have no intention of trading my vehicle in. But I can not honestly say my position will not change if problems increase and/or cannot be taken care of.

Good luck to everyone.
    I just posted message with two videos and inadvertantly sent same video twice. Please find other video below. This video is great and helps demonstrate most of sequencial steps involved for acceleration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHotbtd7HJA&feature=related
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    CTS, while seemingly admitting to their gas pedal sticking or binding, is denying responsibility for these WOT run-a-way engine episodes. So Toyota continues, must continue, to look elsewhere for the primary causative factor.

Until that time comes any vehicle of asian manufacture that uses the same parts and firmware design source (NipponDenso/Denso US) as Toyota/etc will remain "suspect".

The way Denso has been known to operate in the past not even Toyota may ever know what the problem was/is, nor the FIX. I would imagine the fix will come as a "reflash" with a public announcement that the "reflash" will be to facilitate a failsafe. Failsafe will be to drive the throttle plate to idle when the brake is used but also "buried" in the reflash will be a true fix for the firmware problem that is the root cause of these current episodes.

Does Boeing get to look at, certify, the firmware source code from a parts vendor..?? Possibly....

But I rather doubt that Toyota/etc has access to NipponDenso/Denso US firmware source code, and less likely certification ability. Toyota/etc probably doesn't even have the talent required for firmware source code validation/certification even given access.

Then there remains the question of anomalous behavior, as yet undiscovered anomalous behavior, possibly, of the microprocessor, computing engine, and surrounding/supporting hardware. Anomalous behavior just random enough to be almost, if not altogether, untraceable.
    Kirstie,

I applaud you for your objective comments and your apparent attention for screening blog comments.
  • Interesting...

link title

Click on the left to see claims from all sorts of manufacturers :surprise:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,048
    The video posted shows the CTS pedal. The Truth About Cars shows both pedals disassembled side-by-side in this video. Interesting, to me at least, is that the earlier CTS video didn't determine if there were a backup spring inside; this video shows that both suppliers have a backup spring in case one spring fails.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/exclusive-ttac-takes-apart-both-toyota-gas-peda- l-assemblies-denso-unit-looks-cheaper-rumored-to-be-recalled-too/
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Obviously you have never seen an "errata" sheet for, for instance, one of the X86 processors. Over the past 30 years my software development team has independently found/discovered not just 1 or 2 of these hardware "bugs" and provided the appropriate documentation to the manufacturer so they could added to the errata sheet.

And I'm quite sure we are no alone in this matter.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,048
    To the point that there may be something wrong in the computer(s) that control the acceleration, I offer the computer in my washing machine. It lost its mind a week or so ago when the wash cycle was cancelled. It would not unlock the glass top on the washer. No picking new cycles and starting them would work any miracle and reboot the computer. Pushing buttons to initial new cycle or cancel would do anything.

So I unplugged it for 10-15 minutes. Apparently on a complete restart it bootstrapped the right program into place and the Whirlpool Cabrio operates just fine--until the next time it decides to get lost when a wash cycle is cancelled.

The parallel is that computers are programmed by someone. Despite all the best checks, hopes, prayers over the binary coding, things go wrong. A PC can be rebooted. A washing machine computer required unplugging to drain the memory (little humor there, "drain"). But a car's computer may have a quirk that only occurs on a certain input at a certain conditions within the processor and motherboard. Those are hard to find.

When car computers have a quirk, it is a major danger. A consistent comment in the many reports in various places is that when the car was turned off, everything was back to normal on restart. To me that says not mats in all cases, that says not sticking gas pedal in all cases, but says there's another problem in some cases--scientfic method at work. So various hypotheses can be posited and tested carefully with only one variable changed to allow a conclusion.
  • I suspect the Toyota problem is more than a floor mat or mechanical accelerator pedal malfunction.

I own an '07 Prius. For about the first 15-20,000 miles the car always shut down immediately upon depressing the power button. Since then, the engine frequently does not shut down on the first push, and my car will move forward if I take my foot off the brake. I have to push the power button a second time to stop the engine.

The dealer could find nothing wrong and told me the problem was I should be pushing the "Park" button before pushing the Power button to turn the car off. (It says nothing about doing that in the manual.)

I wrote to Toyota, and to my dealer, explaining I was concerned that a computer software or hardware malfunction was the cause of the problem with my Prius. They reassured me there was no danger.

My wife and I continue to drive our car, and I'm careful to be sure the engine has actually stopped before I take my foot off the brake. However, I'm now concerned that the minor problem I'm experiencing could progress into something much more dangerous.

I sure would like to know why my car refuses to turn off with one push of the power button, as it did when I first bought it.