Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• I can see NRA supporting that idea: mandatory ownership and carriage of high power military grade rifles / machines in every vehicle.

:)
  • 'Similarly turning a key in that ignition switch is not a very good solution if you have control-system problems/lockup. '

that's the problem with computers / software: they are function rich, and bug rich at the same time. it is hard to debug them all.

a typical cpu die is tested may be up to 15% combinations. Doing a 100% combination testing would have taken hundreds of years, for a run-off-the-mill cpu.
  • 'First of all thanks for addressing & responding. '

my point is that if brake override really were that important to you, you should have bought a car that is known to have such a feature engineered into it, be it a VW or whatever.

Toyota never advertised that it had that feature on your car and yet you bought it any way.

Your action spoke much louder than your words about how important such a feature was to you then.

If you realize that you really should have had it then, well, that's your mistake not knowing your own needs better and earlier.
  • sharonklsharonkl Posts: 660
    Well said. We should all be interested in human safety. We are certainly affected.

UA has been issue for long time. UA in and of itself is a high exposure safety risk.

I would like to see all manufacturers address & am supporter of implementing Brake Override Systems. Toyota will be installing all 2011 models, and maybe sooner. Several manufacturers already have - complaints low.
  • "We should all be interested in human safety."

that's exactly why we take risks.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,035
    I love the conflicting LaHood statements. Looks like he accidentally spoke what he really thought and now has to backtrack because that's not what the feds want us to hear.

I think he's a politican in training - he's at flip-flop 101 stage right now. :P
  • revitrevit Posts: 476
    If you ever do sell it you might get sued by the buyer for knowingly selling them a dangerous piece of junk !!

LOLOL Sell it? Are you kidding? Who would buy a Toyota at this point? If they recommend you don't drive it, do you really think anyone would want to even if you gave it away? :confuse: :confuse:
    that's exactly why we take risks.

Yes, I definitely agree that be the case when anyone gets into a Toyota now a days. They went from be above all other automakers to one of the most unsafe cars on the road today. :sick:
    Whoops. I apologize if I did not explain myself well. This is all new for me. I was unaware of brake override systems when I bought RAV4. Most average consumers are not even aware autos have this feature. That included me at that time. I was looking at reliability ratings, etc. by different agencies when I evaluated my purchase.

Since this all started, my investigations on UA , etc.- became big supporter of these systems.

Appears Toyota likes as well, since they announced Nov, 2009 they were putting on all 2011 models. I am very happy about this. This announcement before recalls.

And thus, if update is available I would gladly pay to get flash for my auto. Why - over last six months I have had intermittant unexplaineed minor surges aceleration. All quite manageable, and can not verify cause .May be unrelated.

Now - just my personal preference.
  • "Who would buy a Toyota at this point?"

the smart ones?
    To be honest, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy of buying a new Toyota with all the cover-up they are involved with. This story is just starting to unfold and its just not worth putting anyone's life at risk.
    Thanks for your opinion
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,702

Can we really trust Toyota at this point? I don't think so. Haven't we all been through this enough already?

I find nothing to applaud Toyota about, but this is like a feeding frenzy. Auto companies have done worse. I'm thinking these posts are becoming worse than the problems. Are you UAW on a publicity campaign?
  • don't worry about your enemies: they are smarter than that.
  • the same to you, :)
    I loved your mention of washing machines!!! I am smiling. Ha, reminds me of how I managed to keep my dishwasher going for 17 years. And was still going when I got my one. Yes, glitz in computer board.
  • The concept of brake override was meaningless to many of us till we discovered we didn't completely control the acceleration process with the gas pedal. We didn't know the cars had an electronic throttle, so potential ways of circumventing unknown problems with them never occurred to us.
    Auto companies have done worse

REALLY? From the one who has built their reputation on quality and by doing so, attempted to set above all other automakers. Now reality hits where their cars are unsafe and they were forced to stop selling their cars. When did that happen last? And to make matters worst, they had more recalls than any other automaker.

Its not funny, but in some ways it is hysterical, as I and others find them now to be a laughing stalk. Guess you won't EVER hear someone again say they buy Toyota for it's quality. Come to think of it, not really sure what would then be the purpose of buying a Toyota in today's time.

The same mentality held for Toyota management by trying to ignore the problems and for some reason then think they would just go way. Toyota allowed their image to develop into an arrogant, sad state and that was obvious with how they chose initially to handle the recall until they were forced to as they would not comply.

And for the die hards that still view Toyota as bullet proof, that is exactly how Toyota managed to create this fabricated view on their quality. Long and behold, there quality is worse than most of their competition. :cry:
  • " This is all new for me. "

that's my point. anything man-made will have flaws. some of them we know of, others we don't know yet, and then others we may never know (aka the knowable unknowns vs. unknowable unknowns).

so whenever you acquire something, you are taking a risk that a) it has flaws; and b) it doesn't perform up to your current expectation or future expectation.

in this case, your expectation moved: from being unaware of this feature to wanting this feature in your car.

it is not reasonable to go back to the vendor (in this case Toyota) to demand a piece of goods they never advertised to you when you bought the car from them.

Now, there is a certain level of merchantability that Toyota has to deliver - under which they are being forced to recall and fix those vehicles.

But that merchantability shouldn't be and isn't the basis for you to demand something Toyota never warranted.

I don't own a Toyota but I just find this whole fiasco funny, and so reflective of us collectively to that point that it is deeply saddening.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,035
    From the one who has built their reputation on quality and by doing so

How did that slogan go? Quality is Job 1?

Or was that some other outfit...