Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    This all started with the sludge problem that was always the customers' faults.

Right!!! ;) But these quality issues started way before that!!! :(

-Rocky
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,220
    So, sticking with the title of the thread, now that Toyota has resumed selling the recalled models, has anyone actually gone into a dealership to buy one? Or, given the drop in resale, and further potential recalls looming, are people staying out of Toyota dealerships?
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    the last two days when I went by my local Toyota dealer, they were busy a heck outside the showroom showing cars to a lot of people I guess interested so I don't know if that is a indication of anything but I've still seen a lot of people going in there despite all the recalls and problems!
    smarty....just the opposite around here (SW OH). Toyota showrooms around here are deader than doornails. Service depts seem to be busy, though. I see lots of vehicles backed up to get into the service bays.

Don't know if the service business turns into people wandering into the new car showroom though.
    edited February 2010
    My son just returned from the local Toyota dealership. He was shopping for a Scion. The local dealership merged the Scion and Toyota dealerships.

While my son was interested in a new Tc, I advised him to hold off for another year or so to see how all of this plays out. Knowing him, he'll probably nix the Scion idea. Now, he's got his eye on a Civic Si, instead.

He said he was the only person in the new car showroom. The good news is, they seem to have stocked up on used vehicles. And, there were some people in the used lot looking around.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,161
    >just the opposite around here (SW OH). Toyota showrooms around here are deader than doornails. Service depts seem to be busy, though. I see lots of vehicles backed up to get into the service bays.

I see humor in that after all these years of Honda and toyo owners talking about how their cars don't need service compared to the competition. Now their service bays are flooded and the showrooms are empty! :sick:
    edited February 2010
    imid....my son was at the performance stores...with Honda and Toyota/Scion right next to each other.
  • I wonder why they waited until now to post this? looks like someone is going to take a fall
    Just saw it myself....
    gizzer...I think that's the big complaint against Toyota.....they stalled, deflected, and hid safety problems in order to save money. In addition, it's now clear that those complaints against Toyota not reacting are legitimate. Until these documents were requested by Congress, I doubt Toyota would ever have let anyone know how they viewed their safety problems.....that is, the longer they could delay implementing safety related fixes, all the better, since it saved them millions of dollars.

This is the first time I've seen the issues spread to the Lexus LS, as was stated in Toyota's memos. So, the fact that it's not only Toyota, but Lexus, too, and not only the Lexus ES, but LS, also....that tells me the problems are more wide spread than Toyota admitted initially.

We haven't even seen the memos on the Prius/Lexus hybrids. Nor, the memos on the Corolla steering issues, Tacoma driveshafts, and V6 sludge problems, either. Those should be upcoming, and I'd bet all of the information is going to be "damning".
  • ingvaringvar Posts: 205
    Toyota was ignorant for too long. I hope that Toyota learn the lesson and it will bring more competition on the car market
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Posts: 335
    edited February 2010
    Pretty much my thoughts...This will make a bad situation worse. I was wondering where that "internal" document came from?...(part of what they turned over to congress?).

I wonder what awaits the gas pedal shim fix!

“Unfortunately, this document is very telling,” Olivia Alair, a spokeswoman for the Transportation Department, said in a statement. “We’re going to hold Toyota’s feet to the fire and make sure they do what’s necessary.”

If that attorney's documents are the real deal it can only get worse...I agree that Lexus was "shielded" and will soon be "in the news"

On the other side, I would bet there are many internal docs that the other car companies do not want the public to see!
    gizzer...I'm certain that there are internal documents that auto manufacturers don't want anyone to see. However, to ballyhoo the money Toyota saved by delaying and circumventing safety issues (ones that the other manufacturers had to comply with) isn't going to endear the company to anyone. Particularly, given the injuries and accidents that transpired because of those issues.

Who even knows how many people that weren't counted, that complained about UA, braking issues, etc, that Toyota or their dealers dismissed out of hand?
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Posts: 335
    edited February 2010
    I agree 100%...thanks

BTW...In case you have not seen it...there is also a federal Grand Jury investigating them now and requesting Documents,(as you foretasted)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,969
    Maybe that is why they want Toyoda in the states. Cuff him and charge him for Criminal negligence. The next few weeks should be interesting.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,161
    They may have trouble imposing their will on toyota because it is a foreign company. If toyota were required to operate as a totally US company then the congress might have better control over them as they did with the US manufacturers and ridiculing them into driving to DC.

I wonder what was the last time any congressman from farther than Pennsylvania drove to DC for a session? Even Murtha had his own subsidized jet airport.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    folks,the problems that toyota is haveing now has been along time in comeing.i owned many toyota cars in the 80's and early 90's when most of these cars were built in japan and all of of them were bullet proof needing only regular maintanence and all of them went over 100,000 miles with no major problems to speak of.84 celica,88 celica,and 91 camry.the problem here is that when toyota shifted production of their vehicles to the united states the quality also suffered as well.because of toyota's past reputation with quality and dependability they were still able to bring in custumers while building a much inferior product and they were getting away with it for some time.now the percentages have caught up with toyota and you see what's happening.problems with camry tranmissions,brake pedals,corolla steering issues,ect..these problems never existed when toyota built all there cars in japan.
  • Just in

http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNN2220228420100222?rpc=44

There are probably BIG bombs in those documents
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,911
    In my opinion it is very simplistic, very wrong, and maybe trendy to allege that the current problems with Toyota vehicles are due to Toyota moving final-assembly/production to USA from Japan.

And how many posts here say something like this:
    "I owned four 1980s Toyotas and they had no problems, so I know for sure that all the current issues with Toyotas are ______". :shades:
    These issues cover cars made in Japan, in the U.S., in China, and in Europe. So, it's pretty much company wide, regardless of the country they were made in.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,668
    it seems Toyota has different product standards for JDM manufactured vehicles and NA produced.
  • sharonklsharonkl Posts: 660
    Here is link to ABC News report - Dave Gilbert University of Illinois Professor Auto Technology Department claims found flaw in Toyota electronic throttle system. MAKE SURE YOU WATCH VIDEO AS DEMONSTRATES WHAT HAPPENS DURING INDUCED SUDDEN ACCELERATION INCDENT AND BRAKES WOULD NOT WORK FOR ABC NEWSMAN DRIVING THE TOYOTA VEHICLE. THIS IS JUST OPPOSITE OF WHAT TOYOTA HAS CLAIMED - FIRMS THEY HIRED COULD NOT INDUCE EPISODES. BUT LOOK AT WHO TOYOTA HIRED - EXPONENT. THEY ONLY PROVIDE WHAT THEIR CLIENTS NEED. REMEMBER MOVIE ERIN BROCKOVICH MOVIE - WON BIG LAWSUIT AGAINST PGE POLLUTION CHROMIUM AND POOR RESIDENTS OF HINCKLEY, CALIFORNIA THAT HAD HIGH INCIDENTS CANCER. EXPOSED BIG PGE COVERUP & INFILTRATION LOCAL OFFICIALS. PGE USED EXPONENT AND THEIR FORMER VICE PRESIDENT DENNIS PAUSTENACH TO DO FRAUDULANT SCIENTIFIC STUDY CONTRADICTING PAST EXCELLENT SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH SHOWING CHROMIUM DOES CAUSE EXTREMELY HIGH RATES OF CANCER, ETC... TOOK 1O YEARS TO PROVE FRAUD. AND I DO KNOW MORE TOO.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota-recall-electronic-design-flaw-linked-toyota- -runaway-acceleration-problems/story?id=9909319
  • berriberri Posts: 4,179
    You've got to wonder why Toyota engineers couldn't discover this when after just a few weeks a university professor has? This could potentially be a game changer.
  • Honda has a emission problem that they have been avoiding, because it is a cash cow for them. Honda's on board computer will tell you that Catalytic Converter is bad, but it is not. The HO2 sensor is not meeting Honda Spec's. After spending $2,500.00 for Honda Dealer ships telling me what is wrong with my Odyssey. I purchased my own Honda service manual and found out the Honda tec's were not doing the proper diagnosis.

I have purchased both after market and Honda HO2 sensors. The Honda HO2 Sensor did not meet Honda’s own spec coming from the box. When I showed this to the person at the parts/service desk, I was told “we just install the parts the computer tells us is bad.” I use to speak very highly about Honda but not any more. Also I own a Honda ATV, there is a recall on the Tie Rod for it. I took it to the dealer to have them replaced, 450 miles total miles on this ATV, the left side needs replacing again.
    :mad:
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    okay that was random!
  • Well, it now appears that driver error, floor mats and sticking accelerators MAY have to take a back seat to Prof. Gilbert's electronic demonstration.

The hearings this week should get extremely interesting. I think Toyota is in deep trouble, and may finally have to "fess up" to a real and very costly problem.
    I don't know for sure. Could be lots of reasons. As I said if they always use a firm like Exponent, one that only supplies reports supporting their clients then reports will say no electronics problems. Corporations, government, drug companies do use corporations like this all the time. And they are quite difficult to deal with, because they do their job well. I am a medical professional and analyzed medical research - saw same thing. Exponent does work in this arena as well.

Since this professor was able to induce problem with electronics in lab - could be real possible big problems. Also states he could not induce problem with other auto manufacturers cars - forget which one.

Biggest question is how this will be presented at congressional investigation hearing tomorrow? What will Toyota even say at hearing since they now have federal supoena into possible federal criminal charges?? SEC investigation too??

Gosh - I was really pulling for Toyota, but when I heard they hired Exponent - go oh no. Knowing Exponent's total disregard for real human health risk exposures from corporate toxic pollution - I was just shocked & so disappointed Toyota was using Exponent. I live in California so their inolvement with PGE pollution of chromium into environment causing very high cancer statistics, deaths, congenital defects, miscarriages, etc. is remembered well.

I just ask what is going on??? Toyota announced they were installing brake override on all models by 2011 - announcement made November 25, 2009. This was before pedal fix recall. Somehow this can appear they knew they had problem? Brake override would negate any incidents UA.

Saw Toyota has extra lobbyist working hard in Washington now. How much will politics and political money come to play into this investigation??

All I know is the video demonstration showing ABC newsman driving Toyota vehicle in a lab induced UA incident was indeed scarey. Brakes did not work newsman said. Professor said felt situation dangerous.
    Yes, Professor Gilbert's findings may prove difficult to deal with. But Toyota does have hired Exponent to help here if they can. Can Exponent's engineers fight Professor Gilbert's findings on such short notice???
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,969
    Brake override would negate any incidents UA.

Maybe it will, and maybe it won't. I am leaning toward two of our engineers with a lot more experience than I have. If the sensors that Dr. Gilbert shorted together to cause UA are not showing up in the diagnostics. Would the brake over-ride feature see them and be able to negate their hold on the WOT? I think it is up to Toyota to make a failsafe DBW system. What really has me upset is the fact that so many people have had these anomalies and when they tell the Toyota dealer they basically call them liars because their diagnostics say everything is Hunky Dory. Now we KNOW that faults can occur that do not leave any trail for the technician to follow. That kind of takes the dealers off the hook and tosses it right back at the Toyota engineers.

If I was the NHTSA I would shut Toyota down until they can prove their DBW systems are safe for our highways. If the NHTSA has lost all their talent to Toyota, hire some non partisan University to do the testing. It is obvious there is talent out there capable of finding the electronic problems that Toyota seems clueless to find or are hiding them.
  • Just saw on ABC Nightline that Toyota wants to meet with Prof Gilbert and has invited ABC to be present. That could be interesting.

What is really going on?