Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Halts Sales of Popular Models - Accelerator Stuck Problem Recall

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    Drunk driving kills 35000 each year.

You seem to want to get at the truth. Where did that little tidbit come from. Are you saying all but 2000 auto deaths per year are caused by drunk drivers?

Toyota has brought the hysteria on themselves. I don't know why you blame the posters here and the media. If Toyota would address their problems instead of paying off a few with high powered attorneys. Trying to blame it on the customer. I remember very well how Toyota treated 2004 Prius owners with stalling. They would tow in the vehicle reset the computer and tell them nothing was wrong. Until the NHTSA said hold on there are too many complaints for this to be a non issue. Basically Toyota has let the customer do the testing of their vehicles the last 10 years and they did not keep up with the complaints.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,048
    In one of the other forums on the net about toyota vehicles, a poster said that a regional meeting for toyota dealer reps at some level included the owner loyalty as one of 5 things that would carry them through. This was before the hearings in DC!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read today that toyota is going to give big incentives to buy toyota after they report their sales figures for the month. I recall some poster complaining that other companies, GM, had offered an incentive for toyota folk to buy GM; will the incentives be considered out-of-place here because of the problems posed about the safety of the toyota vehicles themselves? They haven't been exonerated yet?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    this been their SOP for years and helped build their 'flawless' perception. it's one of the things that is getting to be public knowledge, for a lot of people. if it makes your car safer, it is a good thing, even if they don't tell you about it.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,100
    edited March 2010
    There's no hysteria....just people who want the truth from Toyota.....not a bunch of "I don't knows", or some marketing videos telling us how their "ghost" engineers thoroughly tested and researched everything and try to foist those bogus (and cheap) floormat/sticky pedals on us.

People have been in accidents, and have even died over this Toyota malfeasance. And yeah, I'm pretty steamed about the whole sordid Toyota denial, dismiss, finger pointing, blame shifting attitude about it.

Correct it Toyota. Do it the right way. People's lives are at stake. And, it's not just those who drive your Toyota and Lexus vehicles, butt also those of us who share the road with your vehicles at risk.

Show us the alleged broken "sticky pedals" that has allegedly caused this. Quit worrying about your stockpile of cash. Worry about that after you fix your cars, and make them safe, again.

This isn't the time to be cranking up your PR or damage control machine. That's not what we want, or need. We need your cars to be safe.
    All Toyota would need to do to stop the media and the bad press, is tell the owners, we will install a brake override system in every DBW Vehicle we have built. It may take us a year or more. We will do that so people can drive their Toyota with confidence again. So far it seems that Toyota would rather spend a $billion on damage control and attorneys, than just doing the right thing.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Posts: 336
    The only reason I mentioned it was it seems to be the Toyota way!

My first 09 Corolla Brake vacuum line recall was not labeled mandatory and I never even got the the pedal recall notice (had to call my dealer!)

Seems this V6 recall (oil line) can not only destroy your engine but can have safety issues as well if I read it correctly
    I think there is a lot of confusion within the Toyota organization. I got a call to bring my 2007 Sequoia in for the Recall. I called and they just wanted to set up an appointment. I asked what was being recalled and after about 5 minutes on hold they said my vehicle was not on the list. I have friends with a 2008 Tacoma and they have not gotten anything. It is every man for himself with these recalls.
    don't fall for they hype. it's a 'limited service campaign'. only 930+ thousand vehicles are included.
  • sharonklsharonkl Posts: 660
    I like your statement "The Toyota Way."

So you never even got a recall letter?? That is not good. I heard there were others too.

This oil line does seem like damage could end up to be catastrophic.
    And of course - "not a safety problem" per Toyota.
    My understanding about this
    (1)Owners must call - no letters sent
    (2)Any models brought in for service in the campaign listed models before March 31st will get new hoses
    (3)Ends March 31, 2010

Is that correct??
    Yes, it could very well be a way to avoid complaints, but also still feel legal issues exist as well.

Thanks for interpreting my interaction with that agent. Smile - he did get a little upset at me. I know I made him even more upset when I kept smiling and wouldn't move. Oh well. Was resolved. I will evaluate further to see if I continue with this dealership service center or not. .
    you must know more about it than i do. when i went back i didn't see anything about a 3-31-10 drop dead date. sorry for the terminology. :blush:
  • That's right, rounded up slightly it's only one million cars. A million here, a million there, pretty soon you're talking a few cars. :)
    From the google finance market page. did Toyota search for market share price - lots of news releases there.Can expand search.

Whoops it is until 2013 not 2010. Sorry about that

Toyota Motor Corporation To Replace Oil Hose In 933,800 Cars-Reuters
    2:50pm EST
    Reuters reported that Toyota Motor Corporation will replace an oil hose in some 933,800 vehicles in the United States due to the risk of a potential leak that if left untreated could damage the engine. On some Camry, Avalon, Rav4 and Lexus vehicles equipped with V6 engines, the rubber portion of the engine oil hose may develop a small hole, potentially causing oil leakage and engine failure. The service campaign covers 2007-2010 model year Camry, 2005-2009 Avalon, 2006-2009 Rav4, 2007-2008 Lexus ES 350 and 2007-2009 RX 350 vehicles. Owners of the vehicles can have the oil hose fixed at Toyota dealerships at no charge under a safety campaign that will run until March 31, 2013. - - - - - (repeated)
    edited March 2010
    with all the other issues going on, i find it difficult to believe all the affected vehicles can be upgraded with the 'fix' by the end of the month.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,048
    >Toyota Motor Corporation will replace an oil hose in some 933,800 vehicles in the United States

It looks like toyota is doing more to help unemployment, at least of mechanics and service-related personnel, than our government is. All mechanics, sorry technicians, are probably working on accelerator pedals and engines leaking oil.
    Don't forget the Corolla steering issue. That could be even worse than UA. If the cars do as owners claim. They can give you the ride of your life. Toyota has not recalled as they do not know what causes the problem. More cars sent to market with poor testing.

This bit from Toyota should be a real confidence builder if you own a 2009-10 Corolla.

Toyota sold nearly 1.3 million Corollas worldwide last year, including nearly 300,000 in the United States, where it trailed only Camry as Toyota's most popular model.

The executive, Shinichi Sasaki, said drivers may feel as though they are losing control over the steering, but it was unclear why. He mentioned problems with the braking system or tires as possible underlying causes. U.S. officials are also investigating.

Is the Toyota spokesman saying the Corolla also has braking issues? We know they sell their vehicles with the cheapest tires known to man.
    A first in USA Kia Plant just opened - over 1000+ workers. That will help also.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited March 2010
    Basically Toyota has let the customer do the testing of their vehicles the last 10 years and they did not keep up with the complaints.

Sadly, what you are saying may indeed be truth here. Hearing that 911 tape on you tube was heartbreaking. They must have been terrified. And for what?

Toyota should've dove in to this and fixed these problems years ago and calling anyone hysterical about it now is just being a sourpuss. And a griper and poor sport.

Those poor people in the off-duty CHP Officer's rental Lexus. It would be awful to be riding in an out-of-control missile, one that will only stop once it's crashed in to something. And it is wrong logic to blame the driver, even an off-duty CHP Officer "who should've known how to drive better."

Anyone who will take their emotions out of this can see that that is faulty and unfair logic. Fix your dad-gum cars Toyota and fix them right. This is ridiculous. Maybe just dip in to all of those Executive retirement funds or something. Spend lavishly on safety. Honestly convince us that you've carefully and fully-completely fixed all affected cars. Don't skip a single needy Toyota, either. Fix them all. You've been living high on the hog for years. You've had Consumer Reports in your pocket praising all of your rigs ad naseum(literally naseum AFAIC)for years upon boring years. I haven't really been impressed, though. Didn't believe all the praise and hype.

Remind me to shun any and all Toyota products from now on. And ever.

And. Ever. Period. Amen. Don't let your mind wander to a Randy Travis song at this point. Even if it should do something like that. Over and out.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS