Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• pg48477pg48477 Posts: 309
    Attesa-ets moves torque to the wheels with no traction to wheels with more traction, which is the same as any other AWD system. SH-AWD measures G forces and moves torque according to a need for better handling, this system can accelerate on wheel if needed. Nissan's AWD does not make a care handle better in dry weather, and Hondas AWD does. No other awd can do it, at least for now.
    The point is, that the best set up for cruising on the highway or normal driving in the city is FWD. According to Volvo if you want to experience performance of the vehicle system shifts to 50/50, but if you just driving around 95/5 is more than enof.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,048
    So SH AWD will indeed be rearward biased at 30F 70R? Color me, from a marketing perspective, impressed that Acura decided on this approach.

Where, praytell, can we find out information, now, about the torque at RPM of the engine?
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    RPM and Torque data has not yet been released - It appears to be TOP SECRET information.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    The main difference between the RL AWD system and other AWD systems is that it distributes up to 100% of available rear torque to one or the other wheel, depending on circumstances.

We'll see how it translates in the rear world, but it does sound promising.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    FWD is not the best at anything. It has absolutely zero performance advantages over RWD or AWD, and several significant disadvantages. The only reason its used at all is because, combined with a foward weight bias of most pedestrian passenger cars, it provides better foul weather traction than RWD. A supposed "performance" car sending maximum torque to the front wheels is rather rediculous. Ever driven the old 93 Viggen? FWD and fast dont mix.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    There are many generations and versions of ATTESA-ETS. The one I was talking about was used on GT-R R34, which has ATTESA-ETS Pro. It comes with dual clutches to control torque split between left and right wheels. They call it "Active LSD". Other than the fact that SH-AWD can accelerate 5% on the outer rear wheel, I failed to see the difference.

The ATTESA used on G35x is an inferior, or simplified system, which does not come with the Active LSD.
    I had no idea that the GTR had an AWD system like that. That does sound a lot like SH-AWD.

Well, the GTR isn't here, yet. Maybe they'll adopt that AWD system in the G35 and M35 somewhere down the line.
    According to Honda and Volvo. FWD set up is better for highway cruising, I have much more trust in them than you. I was not talking about performance, but just everyday driving, if you want to experience performance, Volvo AWD can give you perfect 50/50.
    I was wondering if system like that can be used with MT. Do you know if GT-R with ATTESA-ETS comes with MT?
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    R34 GT-R comes with 5-speed manual only. Previous versions came with 4-speed manual. They only came with manual shift. To be exact, only GT-R V-Spec (with ATTESA-ETS Pro) has the "active LSD", which resembles SH-AWD. However, Nissan had it in 1999 already.

The only thing new I found is the little "accelerating device". It is the interesting part to me.

Note that even if SH-AWD is as good as GT-R V-Spec in handling, that is outrageous already for a luxury sports sedan.
    "According to Honda and Volvo. FWD set up is better for highway cruising"

In what way is it "better" exactly?
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Posts: 200
    They say FWD is better because they want you to buy their products. Cadillac tried that line with SLS and STS and it did not work. they are back to RWD now in full swing. Infiniti went RWD with G35 too.
    MB, BMW, Audi, are all RWD.
    Its only a matter of time before Acura bails to RWD. Ford can afford to Keep Volvo fight with FWD because they have Lincoln and Jaguar to go after the RWD boys. Honda has no option. The TL is already pushing the limits of FWD like the Deville and Buick. In this Game honda will have to decide if they want to go Buick or go after the big RWD boys.
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    Honda/Acura does indeed have an option and they've exercised it brilliantly by choosing SH-AWD! It's a no brainer mbukukanyau, everyone knows and has known for some time that FWD cannot compete with RWD when it comes to performance/handling and yes, everyone knows that the TL is at the limits with performance as far as FWD is concerned. However, Honda/Acura is addressing the problem by offering a solution that promises to exceed RWD performance/handling by offering SH-AWD. I dare say, before the game is over, the RWD boys will be scrambling to keep up with the SH-AWD men...
    I thought that SH-AWD is to complicated to be used with MT.
    You need to ask them
    How you figure that Audi is RWD? Just so you know all manufacturers are building AWD, Acura doing the same. FWD TL by pushing the limit outsold all competition in it's class, and outperform most of competition as well.
    You dont have to accept my opinions, but honestly FWD is good at absolutely nothing. Do you think that Mercedes Benz does not design its cars with highway crusing in mind? Every single M-B product has AUTOBHAN written all over its DNA, and none of them are FWD. The reason that FWD is used, is so that joe average can get away with using all season tires and they dont have to spend the money on fancy traction\stability computers. FWD is a cheap way to get adequate performance, and adequate bad weather traction. Thats it. There's absolutely no reason why it would be better than any other format on the highway, and several reasons why it would be worse (understeer, torque steer, etc).

Theres a roughly 275hp cap on FWD. The TL and Maxima have hit their limits, and they both have torque steer problems because of it. Not tear the wheel out of your hands Viggen torque steer, but significant torque steer nontheless. The RL is not going AWD because its the popular thing to do, its going AWD because it has to. I would expect the next Maxima and TL to get AWD as well. Thanks to advanced, lightweight electronic AWD systems, theres really no need for FWD anymore. Thats why its going the way of the dodo.
    I have to agree that FWD and RWD will be obsolete in 10years from now. But you going to far with an argument I was not comparing FWD with RWD. I was just stating the logic behind 95/5 AWD set up. Just so you know 10 years ago everybody thought the limit for FWD was 200Hp, now it's 275 in 5years it can as well be 350HP. Just so you know ,and I am sure you do, TL is one of the best handling vehicles in the class, yes it has some torque steer, but Tl was able to put very impressive numbers on the track.
    Yes it does pull very impressive numbers.. for FWD. It just comes down to plain physics though, I dont think you'll ever see a day with 350hp FWD cars. And as good as the TL's performance is, think of how good it could be with SH-AWD. The Lancer EVO MR pulls .98G on the skidpad. .98. No FWD Lancer, no matter the horsepower, could dream of that.