Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    What's the big deal with that? i've a similar recall issue on my 2004 3-convertible...
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    >the best pictures I have seen are posted in a japanese site for a dark blue RL that is simply breathtaking (too bad I cannot cut and paste).<

I agree, it is by far the one color in which the RL looks breathtaking. On the other hand, some RL pictures in a variation of silver/grey that are posted in all american first drives looks just simply UGH.

Ok I am biased, my wife's 3 convertible is in mystic blue and i hated it in all other colors...

I believe that blue picture was posted here by robertsmx or somebody a few posts ago....

ksso
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Talon - Sorry. My post wasn't meant to be a reply to you specifically. I was adding to the general discussion regarding a family resemblance between the RL and Accord.
  • talon95talon95 Posts: 1,110
    No need to apologize... I just wanted to clarify my position. ;)
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Acura's two- and three-letter combinations mean absolutely nothing. They're just completely made-up combinations of letters.

That is a very ignorant argument. They go at length to cover the explainable (and in some cases, the unexplainable) and could come up with this for Acura? Let me help them out…
    RSX: R &#150; Road; SX &#150; Sport
    TSX: T &#150; Touring; SX &#150; Sport
    CL: C &#150; Contemporary; L &#150; Luxury
    TL: T &#150; Touring; L &#150; Luxury
    RL: R &#150; Road; L &#150; Luxury
    NSX: N &#150; Neo; SX &#150; Sport

So, there is a meaning to the letters, unlike the story they made up in this case.
    steveaccord
    I believe you&#146;re talking about these pictures…
    Honda Legend - Front
    Honda Legend &#150; Rear

ivan_99
    Accordingly, the RL design should filter down to the Accord, not the other way around. You would not expect the Audi A8 to be styled with Golf design queues.

There is a psychological advantage to doing things in the way you suggest, but in reality, it makes little difference. I guess, it would have made more sense for DCX to adopt frontal styling cues from Maybach into A-Class than the other way around. But then, the new S-Class does seem to utilize hand-me-down styling cues so it works both ways.

Now, as far as the new RL is concerned, I&#146;m wondering which part resembles Accord. I&#146;ve been scratching my head for a while. I see evolution of styling with 1996 RL as the base, with more slopes, creases and curves. Check out the two pictures I posted above. It was 1998 Accord that had some resemblance to the 1996 RL (rear end).
    I am not up on the chassis and frame specs like some of you guys. If the the frame/chassis for the 2005 RL is new, might Honda use the same new frame in subsequent Accord sedans?

RL is based off Honda&#146;s Global Midsize Platform, which also forms the basis for TL, TSX and Accord. This does not mean that they are identical in all respect, and certainly not in terms of wheelbase. TSX and Accord Coupe have the shortest wheelbase (about 105.3 inch). Accord sedan is next up (107.9 inch) and TL is slightly longer at 108.1 inch. The RL has the longest wheelbase (110+ inch), which is about 4 inch shorter than the old RL primarily because of the way engine is being mounted now.

Cars using this global midsize platform have the same suspension set up, however, with unequal-length double wishbone front and 5-link (&#147;Watt-Link&#148;) double wishbone rear.

Unlike Accord, TSX and TL, the RL is using a different chassis frame structure for improved safety. Honda calls it &#147;ACE&#148; which is supposedly a step up from Honda&#146;s GCON set up. The new Odyssey is also using ACE design. BTW, Odyssey, Pilot and MDX are based off Honda&#146;s Global Light Truck Platform (even within the platform, they have their own differences, including the basic shape itself).

Vehicles using this global light truck platform have the same suspension set up, however, with Macpherson struts front and 4-link double wishbone rear.

ACE is one of those things that should eventually trickle down to other Hondas.
  • Yes, those were the ones I was speaking of.....Thank you for providing the links.
  • You're right, the Dark Blue is breath taking, and looks awesome. I hope this color shows up as a choice. This color has been around for a while. My mom bought a 93 Legend coupe when I was kid in that Dark Blue and it looked great then, and it looks great today. The RL in other colors that i've seen, and as someone suggested the lighter colors look ughhh. The Dark blue color has made me lean a little more towards the RL, man I really like it.
  • >>You're right, the Dark Blue is breath taking, and looks awesome. I hope this color shows up as a choice.

I'm assuming the blue that was shown is Opulent Pearl Blue, which is the choice I picked for my RL.
  • As a rule, my daughter favors dark green and does not care for blues. Her mom's '93 Integra LS Special Edition was "Island Green." She was taken by the "Eternal Blue" of her '03 RSX and took that over all other choices, complete with a spoiler!
  • I received an e-mail from Acura this morning, informing me of the 2005 RL update to their website, plus offering to send me a full brochure by mail. If you want a new brochure mailed to you, you can sign up for it at the Acura website. If you register there you will supposedly "be among the very first" to get the brochure.

There was a link to the the new mini-site -- which is still under construction -- saw the car in two colors -- the dark red stands out in my mind. Taken from a slightly high vantage point and showing the right side profile of the car, which included a view of the tail, this red RL sure looked an awful lot like an Accord to me.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Steveaccord and Robertsmx, thanks for the photos of a blue RL. It looks outrageous! My order is for a deep blue one with light interior. I hope it resembles the one in the photos (saved for the clear corner lights). I have a black RL as wallpaper on my PC. Black RL is not bad-looking, either. I have seen two kinds of silvers and beige in photos, they looks timeless, but they just don't have the WOW factor.
  • >I have a black RL as wallpaper on my PC. Black RL is not bad-looking, either<

Do you happen to know whether the black paint is a "flat" enamel or a metallic finish?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,671
    Good point...

RL, there are minor similarities, such as the belt line crease, roof arch, c pillar. Though these are common design themes used by many manufacturers.

The RL does look very good at this angle.

• jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Ledgendman, I agree...the red RL leaves a lot to be desired....The mini site will be completed later and include the full line of exterior colors no doubt but as for the brochure it was my experience to obtain one from a sales rep sooner than you will get it from the website sign up.
    I went from charcoal Honda '84 Accord to white '91Accord..then to white '92 Vigor to white 2000 TL, bought the wife a white 2002 Civic ex.... so I'm still thinking white for the RL til I see this navy RL picture! HMMMMMMM...I just wonder......
  • talon95talon95 Posts: 1,110
    "Taken from a slightly high vantage point and showing the right side profile of the car, which included a view of the tail, this red RL sure looked an awful lot like an Accord to me."

Hmmm... I see the brand identity cues that have been discussed uptopic, but that picture doesn't look especially "Accord-like" to me.

Different strokes and all that...
    Do you happen to know whether the black paint is a "flat" enamel or a metallic finish?

Here is an excerpt from a guy posted in other site. It seems to be consistent with what I have read.

Desert Mist Metallic with Ebony ( Gold on TL)
    Desert Mist Metallic with Parchment
    Nighthawk Black Pearl with Ebony ( Black on Everything)
    Nighthawk Black Pearl with Parchment
    Opulent Blue Pearl with Ebony ( Dark Blue ?)
    Opulent Blue Pearl with Taupe
    Carbon Gray Pearl with Ebony ( Dark Gray on TSX)
    Carbon Gray Pearl with Taupe
    Redondo Red Pearl with Ebony ( Deep Red on TL)
    Redondo Red Pearl with Parchment
    Premium White Pearl with Ebony ( Pearl White on TSX)
    Premium White Pearl with Parchment
    Lakeshore Silver Metallic with Ebony ( Greenish Silver in PR Photo)
    Lakeshore Silver Metallic with Taupe
    Celestial Silver Metallic with Ebony ( Regular Silver in PR Photo)
    Celestial Silver Metallic with Taupe
    Meteor Silver Metallic with Ebony ( Blueish Silver on TSX)
    Meteor Silver Metallic with Taupe

Among all my top two choices are
    Nighthawk Black Pearl with Parchment
    Opulent Blue Pearl with Taupe
    Just looked up the definition of curb weight.
    curb weight = the weight of a fully fueled vehicle with coolant, lubricant properly filled and all standard equipments included, and excluding drivers, passengers and cargo....

For a vehicle like the new RL with EVERYTHING standard, no wonder the curb weight is higher than I expected. Just a thought, any comments to add? This definition also penalizes a bigger fuel tank, doesn't it?
    Yep. Curb weight creeps up with features. Just a +1 size wheel could add 30-40 lb. Besides features, it is probably an emphasis on the safety cage that is also adding to the heft of vehicles these days.

With the outgoing RL tipping the scale at 3893 lb, even with addition of features, biggest of them all… AWD, the weight gain is just 55 lb. So, Honda has managed to shave off a good few pounds to compensate for the addition of AWD. A typical AWD is said to add 270-300 lb. but SH-AWD is expected to weigh in around 220 lb.
  • I spoke with my sales guy at Keyes Acura in the Los Angeles, CA area. He says that they expect the car to be in stock around October 14-18.

I asked about their allotment. He says they expect about 20 cars a month; that number (supposedly) going to the larger volume dealerships. Price: Acura HQ continued the "under $50K" refrain to those dealers who attended the local area introduction event. The salesman thinks $48 or $49K is the number, though he says they won't know for sure until the trucks show up with the cars on the trailer.

Sounds like Acura is going to keep close tabs on inventory movement which translates to me as not wanting to produce more than demand dictates (stale inventory killed profts on 2003 and 2004 RL models) and perhaps also to keep availability artificially low in order to create the impression of a "hard to get" car.
    good information...thanks ceric
    curious why they don't feature taupe interior with the white pearl
    Gentlemen Place your orders now!... :)
    Sounds like Acura is going to keep close tabs on inventory movement which translates to me as not wanting to produce more than demand dictates (stale inventory killed profts on 2003 and 2004 RL models) and perhaps also to keep availability artificially low in order to create the impression of a "hard to get" car.

Considering Acura has about 250 dealerships in USA, allotment of, on average, 15 for one dealership per month would be enough for 3750 units of sales. That is on par with G35 sales number for August. Not bad for a $50K+ vehicles. GS300 only sold 700 units last month. 2004 RL? Around 300 units. Acura would be extremely happy if they can sell more than 2000 units in the first month. After all, their annual target for 2005 RL is about 12,000 to 15,000 units.
    Thinking there are many Legend/RL existing owners out there chomping at the bit. This could conceivably keep the demand going strong into 2006 unless production gears up. ( I have a basic question that will appear quite naive but is the RL made in Japan or Marysville?)
  • fbearfbear Posts: 117
    October issue of Smart Money (published by Wall Streeet Journal) has an article on best new car values for 2005. RL is listed in luxury category along with BMW 530i and MB E320. Sticker price is listed as $46,145. Is that the 2004 price or could this possibly be the number?

Meanwhile, October Issue of Automobile has a rave review of the car. ( and lists an "estimated price of $49,000)
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    Well, count this Acura RL owner as one to be chomping on the bits! I can only speak for myself, but as a previous RL owner (99' RL) I was always pleased with the reliability and the elegant conservatively styled RL - I knew I was in possession of a quality vehicle. I was, however, less than enthusiastic over the cars agility and speed capabilities - and desperately yearned for more. The new RL appears to have addressed my concerns. I placed a deposit back in May and can't wait to take delivery in October (sigh). As far as some of the criticism concerning it's appearance goes...hey, it's a Honda product and it's carrying the "bloodlines" rather nicely. It's not bloated looking like so many others and has a certain "svelteness" about it that I find very appealing and think will be an enduring visual quality. Of course my opinion is a subjective "thang" and all I have to say to others concerning the RL's appearance is "to each their own" - buy something else if you find it so bland! However, based on the preliminary reviews I've been reading, including R&T's comment that BMW drivers will need to redefine the meaning of the phrase "Ultimate Driving Machine", Acura has hit a home run and you'll be hard pressed to find something better for the money ($48,000 est.) The the RL will, IMHO, be the "benchmark", mid level, 6 cylinder, performance oriented luxury sedan...for at least, the next two years...