Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    I like that color, too, but around here, reds don't sell. The dark maroon RLs had a very limited following. Reds generally "enjoy" a reputation as "police magnets."

I had a Millenia in "Merlot," before the wine really became popular. Not as dark as "Burgundy," which was part of the attraction for me. Still, it was a color that needed to "grow" on people; most have an aversion to it compared with the in-vogue choices.

1000 miles? That's next-to-nothing! Salesmen and service demos around here go on the block with 3500-10,000 miles on them, and the prices are often nothing to write home about. You got a deal!
  • Prophet, I like the Millenia's in Merlot, etc. I thought about those, but they are also a little small.

I am amazed at the number of green, white and heather mist RL's out there. I find them somewhat boring. I do like the new silver.

I don't worry too much about the Ruby as a cop magnet.

I have more trouble with my 99 Accord coupe in San Marino Red. Now that one is a cop magnet. I try to keep in under control since I tend to stick out pretty good.
    We have "random" road blocks for DUI checks on holiday weekends. It's supposed to be "random," but the definition's up for interpretation.

Driving my RL, I appear to be a typical law-abiding citizen contributing to society. A four-door sedan conjures up an image of stability and responsibility. When I was once stopped, all I needed was to produce were my driver's license, vehicle registration, and no-fault insurance card after being politely asked if I had a drink that evening. No field sobriety test. I notice that we also get waved on when driving the minivan.

Most of the ones who get stopped are driving low-rider or monster pick-up trucks, two-door coupes, and "tricked-up" rice-rockets. They're the ones doing the one-legged knee bends and toeing the line. And asked to produce their "re-construction" permits. Plus sound meters testing the decibel level of their headers and light meters determining the darkness of their window tint.

We continue to get fatal accidents with young lives getting snuffed-out for no good reason. Speed and alcohol are definite factors.
  • stanny1stanny1 Posts: 962
    C&D just gave the worst review in its history to the 3.5RL in the September issue.
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2001/September/200109_shorttake_acura35rl.xml

They also gave the Lexus LS430 bad reviews. Car and driver tends to favor sports sedans and sports cars. I think Road and Track does a better job reviewing cars. I subscribe to both.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    I used to have a white Oldsmobile 88 -- talk about a stealth machine! No one wanted to look at it, including the police, including me!

C&D takes journalistic pleasure in saying aggravating things. Some of it is witty. Much is half-witted, written often-times by kids with no life but cars. Have you read Auto World? They used to be quite objective, but now they seem to be going for readership... Enter, "style," meaning ridicule anything without a fancy hood ornament or a V8.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Actually, I agree with everything Daniel Pund has to say. The difference is that I like it. He doesn't. He holds the coming V8 version out with hope. I think it's an interesting development, but I hope it doesn't mean the end of the current approach at Honda.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • poonsspoonss Posts: 7
    FYI: RL was number 10 last year and it is number 9 this year.

It beats out Jaguar XJ, Volvo S80, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Lexus GS-Series, BMW 5-Series, Cadillac Seville, Mercedes-Benz CLK, Lincoln Continental, Jaguar S-Type, and Cadillac Eldorado. It only trails these cars-Lexus LS430, Cadillac DeVille, BMW 7-Series, Toyota Avalon, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, and Toyota Camry in Vehicle Satisfaction Scores for 2000-2001. The survey proved that bad magazine reviews does not nesscessary reflect how a car will satisfly its owner in the real world.

http://www.autopacific.com/topten.html
  • I can't figure out what that guy from car&driver was smoking before he wrote(if you can call that journalism) his review on the RL. First of all, anyone who has even looked at the specs of the RL knows that it reaches peak torque at a very low 2800 rpm's not the 3500 he made up in lala land. The high torque, low rpm engine is one of the better features on the car and gives it a feel close to a v8. He also claims that it is horrible for tall drivers. Well, guess what? The RL has 1 more inch of front headroom over an E-class MB, that is a huge difference.
    Not to mention that it comes fully loaded with every available feature (moonroof, cd, etc.) for thousands less than the E-320 and 10-15K less than the E-430. Go ahead and follow the crowd, but I'll get in my Acura and enjoy the smooth ride and money in the bank any day.
    Some "journalists" apparently believe that the fastest way to "fame" is to create controversy by "bashing" an otherwise well-regarded vehicle like the RL. This is an old trick and a perfect example of how it's possible get opposite opinions from the same set of facts - it depends on what's important to each person. The "lack" of two cylinders means little to me - if I were in the market for a Lexus GS, the 300 (I-6) would be just fine as opposed to the 400 (V-8). You don't have to buy the biggest, most powerful, or highest-priced to have the best.
  • Well said Prophet2. Everybody has known for some time that the RL doesn't have a V-8. This has been just about the only complaint made about the RL. Yes, V-8's are nice, but in everyday driving which can be a mix of city/highway the differenve between V-6 and V-8 becomes much less noticable. It would be refreshing for a magazine to review automobiles and report on them based upon everyday driving situations which will encompass probably about 99% of car buyers who don't have access to test tracks.
    ...doesn't everyone get to drive a new car every week on closed courses as well as open road?

Nope, y'gotta be 25 with your dimestore tech stocks worthless but no car payments to make, to get you good & riled but otherworldly in the things you don't like. I too like the cars approved by C&D but wouldn't spend the money on them because, in my real world, I only get to drive on a closed course 4 or 5 times a year and prefer a roadster at those times.

But I did enjoy his observation that Honda has added content to the Acura every year. He doesn't like that, though every car from Rolls to Fiat does it on an annual basis -- why else, afterr all, buy a "new one"? And the only thing he approves, the navigation system, is something that has no appeal to me. So I suspect we'd not have much to talk about. I, for example, think the 3-series, though a magnificent feat of engineering, not only is overpriced but is designed to look like several different compact cars. If the Acura looks like Lexus looks like MB, well, I actually like the appearance of each of those ... and there aren't so many of them around that it's easy to walk up to the wrong car (in a row of compacts: )

See, we can all be snide.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • hunter001hunter001 Posts: 851
    You said:
    "First of all, anyone who has even looked at the specs of the RL knows that it reaches peak torque at a very low 2800 rpm's not the 3500 he made up in lala land."

But the article says:

"The V-6 makes most of its power high in the rev range. Unfortunately, at about 3500 rpm the engine emits an uncharacteristic amount of noise for a Honda piece."

Unlike what you seem to imply, I don't think the reviewer said that the RL makes its peak torque at 3500 rpm....have I mis-read the above sentence from the article ? Moreover, the RL's peak power (as in Horsepower) does come at 5200 rpm even though its torque peaks in sooner at 2800 rpm.
  • gregxgregx Posts: 3
    I bought a used RL Premium from a dealer last year for my fiance. She really enjoys driving it and it's a nice car. Over the last 2-3 months, we've had one light after another come on (TCS, ABS, Check Engine) - has anyone else experienced ALL of the warning lights coming on in batches? None of the problems were serious but I hesitate to take the vehicle on long trips. Should I stick w/ the 96 or would it be less hassle to trade in for a 01/02?
    What's the mileage on your '96 RL? I bought one last October at 36.8K and have 51.3K at the present time. The only light that has come on is "maintenance needed" - probably because I'm now within range of the scheduled 7500 service since the last one done at 44.5K.

According to my tech, one of the reasons for the "check engine" light is the oxygen sensor needing replacement. I recall this being the case with the Mazda Millenia I had in '96 when the mileage hit 40K.
    I've never heard of the batches of dash lights phenomenon, gregx. I'd assume it is something peculiar to your car and hope it doesn't mean the whole car is screaming for help. What does your Acura dealer say? I can understand your reluctance to trust it, and I'd take it to the Acura mechanic and ask what the source of the light problem is -- if there really are things wrong, I'd think it was the result of poor maintenance and something your dealer should have caught before he sold it to your fiance (tho you don't say if you bought it at an Acura store). This would give you leverage to get rid of the car you don't trust and trade it for a good price for something more deserving of Acura's reputation. Of course, if you didn't get it from the Acura salesman, you can't use that line of logic I guess.

Let us know how it comes out, please.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • The whole Acura line (besides for the RL) appeals to pretty much every age group. Personally I feel there are plenty of people that walk into Acura dealerships looking at the RL but end up leaving with a TL or CL. The RL is too cushy shall we say, this may not be a problem for the majority of RL drivers but it just departs from the heritage of the Legend and the whole Acura nameplate.

Acura is still trying to forget the mistakes (previous TL, Vigor, SLX and RL) they made in the mid 90's but the RL is still there to remind them.
    ... is that Honda went with the alpha-numeric nomenclature, ala M-B, BMW, Audi, Lexus, and Infiniti. Should have kept their own uniqueness and retained the "Legend" name.

The Vigor was a real "bust" and keeping it under the 2.5TL name-plate didn't fool anyone.
  • bmms8bmms8 Posts: 86
    why do you guys think an RL doesn't sell....cause people arent happy with the ride quality with a tag of 44K, i wood go for a 530i any day...thats my HO
    would agree with you, acuraowner, and I think you'll find a pretty thorough discussion of the issue if you check back a few posts, though we do find that the RL meets our needs wonderfully, but it does require an open mind and honest reaction to the drivability of the car.

In my case, bmmms, the BMW 5 series was part of my search. It is a wonderful car, but I just couldn't get past the image problem. You see so many of them on the road they have no personal style but just an impression that someone wants to be seen in one of them. At least in my area many of the drivers and certainly the dealers are just plain arrogant. I also found it over-priced for one similarly equipped, and a little cramped inside -- is it that much smaller or does it just seem so from the design?

Sorry, imHo, many bimmer drivers have bought an image rather than a car. I prefer the RL -- btw, when was the last time you drove one? Try an '02.

Take care.
    Joe w.
    I've had the BMWs, Porsches, and the like .............. then, I grew up.

I often get asked when I'll get a Benz or another Bimmer. My reply is that clients seeing me in them will probably remark: "He's driving OUR money!" I've gotten an opposite reaction over the years with my Legends and RL: "He has a good eye for VALUE."

Back in the late '80s, a leading auto magazine rated various coupes: M-B, BMW, Lincoln, and Acura. They actually "invented" a new category, PANACHE, which scored points for all but the Japanese"interloper" and enabled the Benz to get a tie with the upstart Legend.

I agree that "image" is a major reason for the over-abundance of BMWs on the road. It is a high price for a smaller car and even though there are those willing to pay such a tariff, I "WOOD" not be one of them. But, hey, it's your money to spend as you see fit.
  • l943973l943973 Posts: 197
    I think all acura autos appeal to all age groups including the RL. I purchased my RL when I was 28. I remember another of the owners here is younger than me.

I don't think the ride is cushy at all. Initially, I thought the seats were a bit stiff when new. Now that they've broken, I think they are just right.

Personally, I would go with the RL over the BMW 530. I was looking for a car that was reliable, well built, decent room, conservatively attractive with good value and low maintenance costs. The RL is better than the BMW and Mercedes in that aspect. Having a car for its name just isn't important to me. I'm sure the BMW handles very well, but if I wanted to good handling car I would get a sports car in additon to my RL.

A voice from the somewhat younger generation.
  • dmac8dmac8 Posts: 54
    Buying a car is very subjective. As much as I like Car and Driver mag, imho, they have, and have always had a very distinct bias towards BMW cars. In part, I think this harkens back to the days when the BMW Bavaria, 2002 tii, etc. defined "sports sedans". Both of those cars were a blast to drive, but were not for anyone allergic to mechanics.

Car and Driver, with the other mags, perpetuated this reputation, even as some of the BMW's took on almost Buick like qualities.

In my car ownership history, I've owned an 86 Acura Legend, an 87 Mercedes 300 and an 87 Porsche 911. I still own the Acura and it has 160,000 miles. From time to time it requires new parts, but has been very reliable and economical overall. Everything in it works, and I drive it cross country.

The MB was robust, but I doubt it would have made it as far as the Acura. Imho, present MB products are inferior to ones from the 80's. Any BMW's I see of the same vintage as my Acura, are usually in a very sorry state.

Despite this, the lure of the 3 pointed star floating above your hood as you go down the freeway is very strong. Likewise, the kidney shaped grill and the almost universal approval of the BMW are also a big draw.

But, these cars, imho, have become cliches. When they were "status" symbols, MB and BMW sales volumes were miniscule. Today, they are relatively large volume brands, which undermines the very exclusivity their brands use to prop up silly prices.

This is where the RL buyer benefits. No 3 pointed star or kidney shaped grill, but a vastly better car than the MB E320 or BMW 530i.

The value equation is very stark. But, the RL does not offer any product or quality compromise. It is a much better product than the nominal competition from MB and BMW.
  • I'm pleased to hear that at least some from the "younger" generation display "common sense" and spurn the "status symbol" vehicles. The RL to some cynics is "short" in the areas of horsepower (40-50) and cylinders (two), but is also kinder on the sticker by $10-15K or more.

I hope that "common sense" may also prevail in another area. We've had the controversy of road racers in "tricked-up" small cars ("rice-rockets"), usually Honda, Acura, Toyota, and Nissan, who have not only killed themselves, but, an innocent by-stander on her way to church last week. To top it off, he was a friend of the victim's son! So, the police are now on patrol again, the media has run off several stories on these "enhanced" street-illegal machines and how costly it is for some conversions. Many have been altered WITHOUT going through the "re-construction permit" process. It's unfortunate that a few irresponsible ones may spoil things for the majority. Of course, that recent movie about street racing hasn't helped, either!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's avoid the usage of "rice" terms when talking about vehicles - this carries a very offensive connotation to a number of our members.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Okay, all of you RL owners...help a guy benefit from your experience. If you had the buying decision in front of you, do you feel the RL (non-Navi) is worth the TMV on Edmunds of $40,181 plus another $49? How close were you able to get to the Dealer Invoice when you acquired your RL?

Inquiring minds want to know....thanks!

wing5nut
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Ok, Ok..."pocket rocket"
  • goralgoral Posts: 138
    No! I would definitely wait a little before pulling the trigger! Just read some of the posts in the past... People were getting the '01s for ~$33K at the end of model year. If (when?) Acura announces another $XK rebate/dealer incentive, you will be out some serious $$$.
  • You should be able to get that down about $250 or so, wing5nut. I negotiated mine at $40k even in the first week the '02 was out.

Otoh, I wouldn't wait for them to come down a whole bunch (like $33k or whatever you hear as the best) if you're wanting a particular color. Lots of the left-overs were stragglers in the tan color or demos. In addition, Honda had lease support on these at the very beginning to, in the words of a salesman I spoke with, keep inventory down and have the decks cleared for what may be an entirely new car in the next model year.

Why not offer $39.5 and walk if he doesn't come down to at least $40k, then see what you can do by phone or email with other local dealers? You can always come back. Or, even wiser, you could shop the others first to see what the local price floor seems to be before you talk to him again. But give yourself room to go up when you give a price.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • goral...I remember the discounting you refer to as the '02s came out. Like the stock market, timing appears to be everything. Thanks for the feedback!

wing5nut