Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    Is that all? I expect our dealer in Paradise to slap on $3995 or $4995. I'd better not see another grand for "finishing touches."

Not that I've ever paid any of those extras!
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    tls02, I must agree with you, Ceric's post was indeed great and well balanced. I, like you, am in my fifties (56) and took delivery of my 05' RL on the 14th. I recall on another web site a well respected reviewer by the name of "Justin" was one of the first to test drive the RL's and provided a good collection of pictures and what appeared to be an excellent "preview" of the RL. Anyhow, he (Justin), indicated that the "darker" colors greatly favored the RL style and looked much better than the "lighter" colors. Granted, color choice is a hugely subjective factor and I previously owned a Premium White Pearl 99' RL and was, once again, leaning towards that color. Now you know how agonizing that "color thang" can be right!? Well, to make a long story short, after consulting with a few friends concerning the attractiveness of "dark" colors and Justin's impression of the darker RL's, I bit the bullet and ordered the Opulent Blue Pearl, sight unseen. When it arrived, it took my breath away! That color, my friend, is absolutely stunning, elegant, luxurious and makes the RL look every bit the part of a $50k+ automobile! Trust your wife on this one...
  • I've driven mine for nearly three days - my thoughts:

- not an old man's ride, much firmer than I'd expected, but that means it corners very well

- the seats really hold you in place in hard corners, you don't get thrown around at all

- plenty of power for me. I haven't maxed it to see exactly what it can do - not going to do that to my brand new car, but in entering freeways, plenty of power. was disappointed I didn't get to try it out on a demo, but my dealer got the customer cars before he got his demo

- the interior has a very rich feel. everything is laid out nicely, the wood and chrome go nicely together. the leather seats are wonderfully soft and comfortable

- nav system is great - love the big screen which is also very well located. it's taking a little bit to get the hang of the voice activation, but it's much easier to enter addresses than on my 99 RL. the big joy stick is so much easier to use than the old touch screen or tiny joy stick. a coworker who had a 5 series BMW with nav and now has an Infiniti with nav says the RL beats both, hands down.

- It's taking me a while to get things programmed, still a ways to go. lots of menu options to program, but fairly intuitive.

- the stereo is great. love the XM radio

- ordered an Opulent Blue Pearl, was a little nervous since I hadn't even seen a color sample, but it's fantastic. each time I look at it, it looks a little different, but always beautiful!

All in all, absolutely love the car and am looking forward to a real road trip with it.

PS - as I've been typing I've been looking out the window at walkers and joggers - nearly all have slowed to get a good look at my RL sitting in the driveway!
  • tls02tls02 Posts: 20
    Thanks to both of you for your posts. I have just seen a RL TV commercial and the car looked great! I guess that the proof is in the pudding and I have to go see a cleaned up RL and drive it to be fair. All of the RL's that I saw were in the Dealers back lot and had not been washed yet and I guess that is not fair. BTW did your cars come with a Wood Steering Wheel at No Charge? Another post said that a dealer said that this would be the case, but I am skeptical.

Yes, Shotgun, I have read Justin's Posts at that other Forum and he did say dark colors look great. However, I have a Black/Black TL and although it looks great when clean, it drives me nuts to see every single scratch and ping. I said, "no more black!" My wife would want a Parchment Interior because she thinks that the wood is dark in the new RL and would not show well against a black interior. What color Interior did you get with your Opulent Blue car?
    I got the Taupe interior and its a perfect match. Don't even begin to think the wood steering wheel is free - it's not! I think it's almost $600! I added a wood shift knob, color matched tire splash guards, custom (rubberized) floor mats, and trunk tray all for about $550. Nothing is free my brother (smile). I must agree with you on dark color maintenance, it probably will be a worrisome issue - but, the Opulent Blue Pearl looks so damn good!!!!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,580
    How anyone can buy from a dealer that does this outrageous mark-up is beyond me. This practice rapidly sends me to another dealer.
    Nebraskaguy - I exactly echo all of your sentiments and observations. I'm waiting to get to the 500 mile odometer reading before I start opening it up a little. I did notice, however, when I was cruising at about 35mph and punched it just a little ( I couldn't resist it) the accelerative G-force, was truly outstanding - to the degree where I felt myself being steadily pushed into the rear of the seat with "conviction"...I simply can't wait to "dog" it a little - know what I mean? (smile)
  • Hello all. I currently own a 03' G35coupe 6MT which is great. Before it I had a 00 TL and I have always loved Acura. This new RL is driving me crazy and I am leaning towards getting back to an automatic sedan. Luv to have both in the stable, but that is pushing it... Can't wait to test drive this car as I stopped by one of the dealers in Indianapolis and all are sold(4), suppose to get 15 in before end of next month.

PS... Post more pics!!!! and Post more driving reveiws!!! I am living vicariously right now!!! :) :)
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Don't even begin to think the wood steering wheel is free - it's not! I think it's almost $600!

My thought exactly. I knew more than that salesman as usual. But, he insisted they(wood steering wheels) came with the cars. Anyway, I have my mind set on the Opulent Blue with Taupe, and I want the salesman to throw in
    - wood steering wheel (he promised it is standard!)($600?!)
    - backup sensors (another $600)
    - floor mats, trunk tray, etc.
    (you can always add the wood shift knob later)

If he won't take it, I will walk away from RL and wait for M and G to make another decision in 6 months. Hopefully, the prices would be more reasonable then.

For those who already own RLs, I am very happy for you guys. While I was test driving yesterday, I "felt" many people were looking at the new RL (black-n-black) including a guy in Audi A6 trying to catch us. Blue-n-Taupe would be even more eye-catching!
    Ceric, great post! I have read, and re-read your post a few times. I have a 2002 TL-S that I love, but I want to get a new car. I saw the RL, at the NY Auto Show and have been waiting for its release. I went to see it twice last week and was not "Blown Away", and I REALLY, REALLY wanted to like it!.

The feeling is the same here. I put in my order in April (right after MY Auto Show). I was slightly disappointed at the performance in straight line pickup. I have had two speeding tickets in my 540iA. Less performance may actually do my traffic record some good. That said, in term of luxury, my 540iA is pale in comparison. I paid $51.5K back in '98 for my 540iA. For almost the same price at $50K (adding some accessory), you basically get a less engine, superb AWD, and tons of new gadgetry in the new RL.

Too bad, Acura did not make the decision easier for us. Too me, either a better straight line performance, or lower price point (say $46K) would help tremendously in the decision of purchase.
  • The wood steering wheel is built into the price of the car. So that would be a standard feature. Asking them to throw that in would be like asking a dealer to give you the tires for free.

I don't sell RLs nor do I own one but know the car very well. They do sell at sticker. Walk away if you like. Someone else will buy it.
  • What is a good price for an RL in Houston?
    A good price in Houston or any other city for that matter is $49,470.- At this moment, the RL is not being discounted!
  • In other words, an out the door price of $52,880.21 the going rate....
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,195
    I test drove the Celestial Silver RL this afternoon and I was underwhelmed. First off, the saleswoman was bashing the Mercedes Benz and Audi line-ups as not equal to the new RL. (Thou shall not speak evil of the competition---Strike 1)

I drove on a twisty 2-mile country road and on Route 95. The car handled superbly on the twisty road but was quite ordinary on the highway.

My 32-year old son-in-law then pushed the car as hard as was possible on the expressway averaging 90 to 100 mph. The car responded well but the engine was unusually loud for a luxury car. Wind noise, however, was absent.

The sound system is awesome rivaling many homemade systems. Since this was my first experience with XM radio, I was pleasantly surprised. The sound quality was close to CD or DVD quality.

The voice activated system was nice when it worked. For some reason it could not differentiate between rear and front defroster. The leather smelled good and was very soft and supple to the touch. And those seats fit like a glove.

So what don't I like about the new RL? Frankly folks the exterior design is bland and too much of an Accord derivative. The colors look dull as if they had passed through the car wash too many times. Frankly, the RL does NOT look like a $50K sedan. It lokks more like a dressed up Accord.

But, in the end I liked it enough to put a deposit on the Redondo Red Pearl with Ebony leather interior. Delivery date not until mid February 2005 however. Apparently the car is in great demand in the Boston area.
    Hahahaha...Well BWIA, it appears as if you paid it the ultimate compliment! Yours is one of the coolest posts I've ever read...
  • Just located the dealer's invoice price as follows on Consumer's Guide's website:

MSRP

$48,165-48,900
    Invoice

$42,882-43,536
  • legendmanlegendman Posts: 362
    >One surprise I found is the wood (or wooden) steering wheel. He is sure that that is standard.<

It is an accessory. I saw the same thing at a Southern California dealership and the salesman told me that the wood was a dealer-add on, along with some chrome wheels they had added.

IMO, a wooden steering wheel is a backwards idea. The leather wrapped steering wheel was a step forward, allowing a good and comfortable grip. The hard slippery wood offers neither.

There was only one car at this dealership, and they were using it as a demo. There was a line for test drives and after a half hour of waiting I left.

I think MSRP will be the going rate for the first few months at least. Maybe as we approach Christmas things might slow down, but only time will tell.

I did get to sit in the car briefly, and found the seat bolsters to be too hard. Granted I weigh 220 pounds and may be bigger than the average man but for me personally this is a big negative.
    >Frankly, the RL does NOT look like a $50K sedan. It looks more like a dressed up Accord.<

I am inclined to agree somewhat, but I have to say that in its defense, the new RL looks no less prestigous than a new E class Mercedes. In fact, of the two, I would have to say that I think that the new RL looks a little classier and a bit larger.

(My observations are based on seeing the RL in Lakeshore Silver).
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    Good post. I went to look at the RL today. My last 4 cars were - 2 90's Legends, 99 528, and 03 530 currently. I was very pleased with the exterior in person. The interior was just plain excellent. Even better than some of BMW's recent showings including the 04 5 and 6-series. The engine compartment was so neatly done - typical Honda. The driving position was as good as my 530. Definitely a very good effort. I will drive one next week.
  • shs111shs111 Posts: 39
    Checked out the 2005 RL today at Boston Acura. All it's been built up to be, and more. Now I have to come to terms with trading in my 2004 TL (which I have really loved, although have only put 6200 miles on it). Just hoping that I'll get a decent trade. Especially liked the way the car handles, very even and smooth. Also thought that the interior setup was great -- especially the dash console, very nicely done.
    The wood steering wheel is built into the price of the car. So that would be a standard feature. Asking them to throw that in would be like asking a dealer to give you the tires for free.

Apparently, they call the accessories "port-installed". In fact, when the dealers got the cars, those accessories are on them already. My salesman called me today to "correct" what he had said. "there are $1250 worth of accessory on that RL.... is that OK with you?"

I just made him the final offer to hold him onto his words. I demanded the "wood steering wheel" and "floor mats + trunk tray" be included at MSRP. That is what I was promised at the test drive.

My guess is that they would gladly return my $500 deposit. When was the last time a salesman keep his/her promise?
    >Just hoping that I'll get a decent trade.<

Are you serious? You'll get creamed. And what the dealer offers will be even less than private party.

What did you pay for the new TL and what does Edmunds say its worth now? Dealer and private party?
  • shawn3shawn3 Posts: 8
    Have to agree with bwia that the car looks a lot like an Accord, but so what? Just drive it.

That said, I take delivery of my black/black on Tuesday evening :)
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    That's been the case ever since the Legend made its debut in 1986. Accords from 1990 onward have been described as "junior Legends."

For those who complain about the lack of a V-8, just go over to M-B, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. and BUY those cars. The rest of us are happy with the prospects of a 300 hp V-6 and don't need to hear your complaints anymore. It's getting OLD!

Another thing, I don't go on the Lexus board to rag on about their ES-series being glorified Camrys. Accords and Camrys have nothing to apologize for.
  • aclcaclc Posts: 20
    I heard the 2005 RL audio system yesterday, and it is AWESOME!!!! How does the Lexus Mark Levinson system compare?
  • I also got the taupe interior which I think looks great.

I saw several comments about dealer markups and dealer installed "options". I paid full MSRP, but no more. My dealer offers a number of add-on options, several of which I plan to get, but all were truly options. I was prepared to walk away from the car if I had to pay anything over MSRP, even if it included some options. Fortunately, my dealer played fair. I think any dealer who does other than what my dealer did is being truly short sighted.
  • Just test drove an Acura RL 2005. IMHO its not worth the money. I think the reviews are just hyped up. Though it handles well i did not think it had any much power at all. Technologically it is advanced but does not justify the mark of a Sports sedan. The shape resembles too much of Accord may be not a negative but as a Luxury car it should be different from the common. I am keeping my Acura Tl 2003 type s .
  • >>Though it handles well i did not think it had any much power at all.

I just don't get the comments on here about not enough power. Are you planning to race it?? As I said in a previous post, I haven't maxed it out, but for entering freeways, passing, etc., it has more than enough power.

BTW, was driving it this morning and discovered a cool feature. It was not possible for the driver to safely program an address on the navi on my 99 RL. I decided to program a couple of addresses this morning while stopped at various stoplights along the way. I quickly discovered that you can safely program an address while driving - a voice reads you all the options and reads your choices as you rotate the joy stick, which you can then select without ever looking at the screen. Really cool since I quite often drive alone.
  • I haven't had a chance to drive the RL yet, but I do have concerns about the posts indicating it has a lack of power.

I should be picking one up this week, after I get a chance to confirm what I already feel about the car. I currently have a 2002 TL Navi and I feel that my power is adequate now, could the 2004 RL feel worse? I doubt it! But, I'm not looking to drag race, yet I've been known to have a heavy foot now and again....so it gets me where I need to go.

If 2005 RL owners can provide their testimony about their driving experiences (like nebraskaguy) I would love to hear your honest comments.

For others, if you've driven the car and it really feels to slow, were you just checking the car out or are you really interested in acquiring the new RL? If it's slow (slow is relative to what other vehicles),what do you drive now?

Thanks for any insight!