Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "Keyless Entry and Start is an outstanding feature no fumbling with keys, quick and easy enough for my eight year old to learn how to use it in 10 seconds."

How exactly does the system work? You keep key fob in pocket, work away from car and it locks automatically, work back and it unlocks?

That might take some getting used to for someone like me. In almost 25 years of car ownership, out of sheer force of habit, I almost always pull on the door handle to check that it's locked after locking it -- even when using key fob. So, if the RL's system works as described above, it means you just have to have faith that the system works!
  • Acura has a great demonstration on the US website, but it goes like this....

When you get out of or into the car, you can use the fob the old fashion way as you're probably familiar with today or when you're within two feet of the car, the car detects the fobs presence and if you place your hand inside the door handle it automatically unlocks, when exiting there is a slightly raised dimple on the outside of the door handle on the passenger and driver door handles, just touch the dimple and the doors are locked.
  • >>How exactly does the system work? You keep key fob in pocket, work away from car and it locks automatically, work back and it unlocks?

The car doesn't lock automatically when you walk away, which disappointed me. I'd read several things that implied it did, but it doesn't.

>>That might take some getting used to for someone like me. In almost 25 years of car ownership, out of sheer force of habit, I almost always pull on the door handle to check that it's locked after locking it -- even when using key fob. So, if the RL's system works as described above, it means you just have to have faith that the system works!

You can hear the doors lock and the lights blink (and I believe you have the option to set the system so it makes a sound, as well). That is your confirmation the doors are locked.
  • I have read alot about the fact is is a 6 and not an 8. If you can go form 0-60 in about 6.5, do you really need a 8? Isn't quality an issue? I own a 2001 TL and the 0-60 is quite adequate. The RL I'm sure is better yet. I personally think the quality is very good. As for the ride and comfort I have yet to drive it. I am a bit dissappointed that the price came in at 49K, I was hoping for about 46-47K. With all the electronic stuff and the all new AWD I think the extended warranty is a must if you consider keeping it awhile. Does anyone know kow much this is? One last point, I live in Florida and am very dissappointed that climate seats are not standard as in Canada. I believe they will be available on the new M or GS. Think I will wait and compare all of them or hope it becomes standard next year. I also want to wait and see what the reliability of the AWD is over a year of driving. Guess I will wait for 2006 model and drive my 01' TL, considering it only has 28K.

Just My Opinion !!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    In order to keep this topic open for another week or so, we need to post purchasing experiences in the Acura RL: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion. We can talk about driving impressions and features in here, but posting pricing & buying experiences in the other topic ensures that others will be able to find it once this topic is closed.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I agreee torgue is very important. Low end is ofcourse what is needed and yes the 300 h.p. is nice but not totally understood. I would be very surprised if the RL only does 7.5 0-60. I have heard it will do anywhere from 6- 6.5. Guess the official numbers will tell. If it does do about 6.5 I would be personally be very satisfied. It seems that would be more than adequate. As I get older i realize speed is nice but comfort and features to be more important. Just my opinion.
  • Thank you for sharing with the rest of us your impressions and congratulations on your new RL.
    I had the hunch (and posted comments) that it would exactly come down to what you said: Drive the car. At the time a few weeks back (June or July) I was getting a bit bored of the obsession with the spec discussions that were ensuing and the obvious perennial debates on the V8 vs. non V8, and styling (as we had the glimpse at the NY motor show). I rebutted to the great guys that were compiling the numbers tables (engine power, torque etc, they have been the best posters in this forum) that I was under the impression that the new tranny could not be described by numbers because added a dimension that was missing in so far.
    Your comments seem to corrobarate those early predictions entirely a realization that on side pleases me (because I am an enthusiast Honda/Acura owner and love to have such a pick available) and on the other saddens me (because I will not be on the larket until the '07 model).
    Going back to the car technical specifications may I ask everyone and above all our tech gurus Shotgun, Markcincinnati, robertsmx etc if now they have a comprehensive list of the spec that they feel posting here (I admit this may be a bit of a Flip/Flop from the june saturation I had on such items but presently I have not seen yet any magazine giving a full test to this vehicle and I am really looking forward to be able to look under the 'beautiful' skin of the new RL).
    Again, congratulations to you and to all people that have snatched one of these beauties from dealerships across the country.
    Truly,

Steve
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    I'm anxious to see the white with parchment too...have a similar combination on our TL and it works for us. Just returned from Houston where we viewed a Meteor Silver RL on the back lot which was unsold. They also had one in black on black which was sold. All I have to say is...We loved the car. The sales rep was about as laid back as I have ever seen and this dealership. seemed ho hum about the RL period...nothing on the floor and no demo ready...this was on the 14th. Apparently they will be ready to show the car on Nov. 1st. Now that we are home it's time to get moving forward with a test drive here. Also it's good to be back reading this forum again and the contributions from the many knowledgeable contributers. Cheers!
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    I would be very surprised if the RL only does 7.5 0-60. I have heard it will do anywhere from 6- 6.5. Guess the official numbers will tell. If it does do about 6.5 I would be personally be very satisfied.

My BMW 540iA does 5.9-6.2sec 0-60 (depending on which magazines you believe in). My friend's G35 auto, which I have driven once, does 6.5sec (being RWD and lighter than RL). I have test driven RL, it felt a bit slower than G35 RWD auto. I would put RL's 0-60 time between 6.5 to 7.0sec. Very capable for most people. But, if you are spoiled by V8, you wouldn't be satisfied with it. However, if I live around mountains or in snowy weather, than I would buy an RL instead.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    My wife and I were traveling for 3 weeks and I did not get on the computer much and actually missed not keeping up with this forum and the great feedback especially from those guys you referred too. I hope our host Kirstie etc...keeps this forum going as it has contributed greatly to those of us interested in the car.
    I'm going to have to close it on Nov 1, sadly. This has been one of my favorite discussions to read, as you've all been able to exchange a wealth of information and, most importantly, disagreements have been entirely civil. Amazing what an open mind can absorb, eh?

But take heart! We have a regular Acura RL discussion on the Sedans board. It's been neglected by RL lovers lately - no posts in nearly a month. I've taken the liberty of sweeping the floors and dusting the shelves in there to make it ready for the whole gang to move over. Please keep it tidy in there - the Sedans board host, pat, will enjoy inheriting a self-cleaning group :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Help a gal out, here:
    A journalist would like to interview an Acura RL driver who loaded his/her vehicle with lots of high-tech options.
    Please send your daytime contact info and a few words about your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com by Monday, October 25, 2004.

• olneymdolneymd Posts: 14
    Just got some bad news from AcuraCare regarding the only Verizon bluetooth phone on the market (Motorola V710). It's not compatible with the data connection features of the car - meaning no maintanance reminders, diagnostics, messages, etc. It will only work with the HandFree Link - that's it.

AcuraCare says that Verizon is supposedly working with Acura on this,,, but we all know what that means.

So - if you're a Verizon customer and want all of the data connection features (besides Handsfree), you're out of luck. Amazing how they don't tell you this when the mention the Motorola V710 as being compatible (in all fairness, it's not listed as a compatible phone on the web site).

Has anyone else found this problem?
    Thanks for the info, nebraskaguy and readyformyrl. I agree that to have to lock using the dimple/button on the door is kind of pointless. I mean, what not just stick with the fob remote? If they wanted to use this technology, I think they should have gone all the way and have a system like the one on the Infiniti FX, or the Corvette's.

(BTW, why did I say "work" instead of "walk"? Must have been a Freudian slip since I was slacking off at the office and surfing on Edmund's!)
  • >>I agree that to have to lock using the dimple/button on the door is kind of pointless. I mean, what not just stick with the fob remote?

Well, I'd have preferred it to lock automatically, but, at least with the dimple I don't have to fumble for the key fob. I put my key fob in my pocket at the beginning of the day and don't have to remove it again until I get home at the end of the day. A small thing, but nice, nonetheless.
    Good point. I wasn't thinking about the fact that you also don't need to use the key to start the car.
  • Also, I'm so clumsy, I was always dropping my keys in the snow, a puddle, etc. I was always paranoid that I'd drop my keys down a sewer grate or similar. Now, I put my keys in my pocket at my front door and no more worries.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    My folks own a boat and I grew up sailing on it. I learned early on that you put your keys deep in your pockets before walking out onto the docks. I can see how this might help.
  • Does anyone know the price of the extended warranty? Either the 7/75 or the 7/100? I have to believe that it is worth it if the car is to be kept awhile with all the electronics and especially the SH-AWD.
    If this car does do 0-60 around 6.5 I would be very happy. I think way to much is made of the 0-60 and not enough attention paid to the overall quality build. Ofcourse this car will not be as quick as a 540 V-8, but it is loaded with other equipment not on the 540 for alot less money.
    Since we're on the subject, I now keep my keys on one of those slinky plastic chain things to act as a sort of safety harness. This is especially useful when wearing dress pants where the pockets are loose and keys could drop out when you're, say, sprinting across 4 lanes of traffic.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    First, RL is about 400 lb heavier than TL (not 800 lb) and has enough additional power and torque (at both ends and in the mid range) to counter the weight gain. So, the power to weight ratio is almost identical.

Second, you’re correct that a larger displacement V8 will generally give you better low end power, but it comes with a cost. I have seen too many people compare RL to V8 competition primarily based on RL’s MSRP (which happens to be “topped out”) to base price of V8 (far from being “topped out”).

For sake of comparison, in advertisements it might sound nice and dandy to see Acura RL at $48.9K being closer to base price of Audi A6/4.2 at $51K than to $40K of the Audi A6/3.2. But after a reality check, you have to wonder about what would put the MSRP on Audi A6/3.2 to $51K if you build it to have similar gadgetry like xenons, moonroof, heated seats, homelink, premium audio system etc. Now, if a typical luxury car buyer wants a car without these features Acura’s completely loaded offering would make little sense.

In this class, I would prefer to have at least those features that can be found in cars priced much less ($30K-35K), and then some. Stripped luxury sedan do not make sense to me.

Revisiting torque, RL has plenty of it. It may not “tell you about it” by being “rude”, but it is there. For that matter, Audi A6/3.2 is listed to have a curb weight of 3960 lb. with only 255 HP/243 lb.-ft to carry it (the V8 is listed at 4150 lb.). The same goes for Cadillac STS/V6 (3960 lb). And remember, RL’s curb weight is… fully loaded. Features can add a good few pounds as well.
  • hadhad Posts: 32
    I will let you know on the White when I get it any day (hope not weeks). I am in Arkansas and it's laid back too! Seems no one can track the 50K asset
    in their tracking system. Somewhere between here and San Diego, that's all I know!

On the 2 test drive 20-30 minutes I never figured out how to turn off the GPS system.

XM Radio is great.

Back head rest does not go up but only down. Manual up.

Great looking from the back.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    After test driving the RL, as a momentary afterthought I sat in the passenger seat for about 15 seconds. It seemed low, flat, hard, and uncomfortable. Now I wish I had spent more time confirming initial impressions.

To buyers or those who have test driven the car: your impressions?
  • heel2toeheel2toe Posts: 149
    Pretty good information has it that Verizon Wireless had Motorola disable aspects of the 710's Bluetooth operation because functions like file transfer would allow users to move pictures off the phone without paying the optional service fees. There may or may not be a fix coming that would reenable the missing functions, but until then there will be issues between the Verizon Wireless 710 and *any* Bluetooth-enabled car, not just the Acuras.

John
  • larry6larry6 Posts: 26
    Please comment on whether your dealer's price for the '05 RL is the same as mine or higher or lower. I was quoted a price of $49,699 including wheel locks plus $395.00 for dealer preparation for a total of $50,094.00 PLUS tax and state document fees. Is this consistent with your experience? Did your dealer charge the dealer preparation fee -- which seems like overkill to me? Thanks for your replies.
  • legendmanlegendman Posts: 362
    >I was quoted a price of $49,699 including wheel locks plus $395.00 for dealer preparation for a total of $50,094.00 PLUS tax and state document fees ... did your dealer charge the dealer preparation fee -- which seems like overkill to me?<

Dealer prep is a rip-off fee. Prepping the car after it comes off the truck (and the boat) is part of the dealer's job and that cost is already factored into their profits.

Personally, I would never pay that, unless for some reason I absolutely had to have the car right then and there, and even under those circumstances I would call around and find another dealer within 50-75 miles who would sell me the car without that ridiculous add-on fee.

I would not pay advertising fees either.
  • White with parchment (beige)interior is probably my choice. Saw one at a dealer yesterday. It was an overcast day and the white did not appear to have the rich pearlescent look that I've seen in previous RLs. Probably the weather.

My only comment is I wish the car was a little larger esp in trunk and rear seat. Equivalent to 2004 RLs would be sufficient. I like it yet I think I will wait for prices to settle down.

It doesn't make that much difference to me if I get a car when they are first released. My expectations were pretty high for this car.
  • I finally had a chance to test drive the RL.

Here are my brief opinions:

Exterior: Conservative. Looks better than the 5 but not as nice as E.

Interior: Very Good, as good as Lexus

Technology: 5.1DVDA is better than ML in my Lexus
    Navigation is one of the best in industry. Keyless entry and memory settings work well together.

Performance: Not as fast as I would have hoped but faster than 530i, E320. That being said, SH-AWD is awesome if pushed to the limits.
  • I have an almost pristine 99 RL with 52K miles since new. I decided last year as the original warranty expired to buy the extended Acura one @ $1K for 4 more years, since I saw no reason the buy a new car. (That is until last weekend when I saw the new '05 RL... But at $50K, well, my cash investment 5 years ago looks better than ever.)

The one flaw is where my left elbow rests when driving. At first a small indent in the vinyl appeared as repeated pressure from my elbow flexed the underlying foam padding. Now it's developed into a 3/4" flowered crack in the vinyl and a deeper indent in the foam. I want to replace the panel (it requires the ENTIRE) inside panel to be replaced, not just the top portion) but new it's something like $450. Wow! Any suggestions on specialty import wrecker yard databases out there I might try? (Vinyl repair placed estimated a $150. repair...)
  • If you read the sticker carefully all prep is paid for by Acura and included in the price. It is in the small print. The dealer is just making additional mark-up.