Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• strapperstrapper Member Posts: 7
    Re road noise entering cabin I have a 2000 Lexus Es300 and found the noise in the RL worse, however one should consider that the RL is all wheeldrive so this would account for some of the road and drivetrain noise.I do agree that a car that sells for a lot more than the ES should have better sound insulation .Apart from the noise issue I far prefer the RL to the new ES but am not sure I can tolerate the extra noise on a long trip.Decisions-decisions :confuse:
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    strapper,

I drive approx. 25,000 per year and as my bones get older am not sure I can take the extra noise and firmer ride. I do like the Acura RL's exterior and interior. I am having a hard time taking a decision.
  • elibrunoelibruno Member Posts: 16
    how can you compare these two cars; one is a Camry with a marshmellow ride and no road fee - really a 58 Buick Super in disguise; RL is a firm handling AWD road car and feedback from this is good - ask all the happy BMW drivers out there!
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    Since you are checking out a few cars I would suggest that you also drive the Avalon.
    A friend of mine has one and it is very impressive, especially at the price. It might be a good compromise.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• eclipse2eclipse2 Member Posts: 64
    Hey Strapper I only paid $39800 for my 06 acura last year my friend got a 07 ES 350 and he paid 42,500 and did you get a good look at the side back windows on the ES!!! :lemon:
  • golfrskigolfrski Member Posts: 262
    The V8 will not happen. Look for a beef'd up V6 in the new design.
  • umomsumoms Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 Acura RL AFS light is always on. Delaer replaced the AFS Unit and Steering Wheel Sensor under warranty but it didnt help. They said the next thing they can do is replace the headlamp unit which would cost $1500 and its not covered under warranty because it looks like its been in an accident.

I asked them why did they even replace the AFS unit and steering wheel sensor if it appeared that it was in accident. They replied we didn't realize it until after installing the parts and doing further investigation.

Does this seem legit? If they started it and left the parts in shouldn't they finish the job?

It seems pretty dumb to me that they didn't realize it was in accident until after installing the parts.

Anyone have any other ideas what it could be before replacing the headlamp unit?
    Wow i must have hit a nerve here ;re 58 Buick Super -before my time - guess you just dated yourself.As there are a lot more Camrys sold than BMWs and a lot more Lexus Es sold than RLs one can assume that there are a lot more drivers who prefer a quiet car that does not have a harsh ride. :)
    If you compare the MSLP of both cars new the Lexus ES lists at about $33000 whereas the RL lists for about $46000.However if you were able to buy your car new for $38500 I am not surprised as the dealers have to seriously discount them as the RL is grossly overpriced which is why you see so few on the road :)
  • zoom2xtnzoom2xtn Member Posts: 8
    If 2009 is when Acura completely redoes the RL I might want to wait but if it is 2011 or so I might want a 2008 with the dealer incentives making it a much better buy than previously. Anyone know their makeover plans?

Lee
  • dsm05rldsm05rl Member Posts: 12
    My dealer confirmed to me that they were definitely doing a make over on the RL for '09. He said it would be slightly larger than the new TL (one of my biggest complaints). He did NOT indicate what the revised engine would be or whether that was changing.
  • askusaskus Member Posts: 1
    What's taking Alpine so long to process orders for new navigation DVDs? I ordered the 2007 one in early October and now have been told they're still on backorder and I should probably cancel my order and re-order in late Jan/early Feb as they think the part number will change. Acura is no help as they just send me to Alpine.

If it's 4-5 months old by the time I get the updated navi DVD, shouldn't they reduce the price accordingly? But no, they said there are no plans to do that. What a ripoff. Is it always so hard to get these each year? I just got a pre-owned 05 RL back in September and I really want to get the nav system updated. My local dealer says they can't get one either. Any ideas?
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    I suspect navigation systems being one of the hottest selling products on the market today is a priority demand for most of the production concentration by Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. but what does it take to reproduce a DVD in todays electronic world. :confuse: I don't use my Navi much in my 2005 RL because for the most part I know the lay of the land where we live. It came in handy on our trips I must say but when I tried to use it a couple of times to find newer addresses it was of no use. I would be hard pressed to invest in a new DVD for those few occasions. Merry Christmas!
    JJ
  • samlhsamlh Member Posts: 1
    Is there any advance information on what's to be included in the 2009 RL?
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    I found out it's update issues. There were many people updating their older cars and caused some problems. Alpine is probably working on a new DVD update that doesn't change the map but will fix all the update problems. Blame alpine for software glitches. They said it could come out by early next year. The dealers could get it but then they order it through alpine. I'm sorry that is is probably true but then again people make mistakes when programming software.
    Not much info. There is a thread about it already. It will be a facelift. Some body panels will be changed. A new engine, revised navigation system, Hard Drive, a few other features but not much. Maybe increased interior room. New rear seating designs could allow for more legroom in the back seat.
  • jaybee85jaybee85 Member Posts: 25
    After much research and test driving, I recently leased a 2008 TL with navigation, passing over the RL. I almost bought an RL, but sat in it and couldn't get excited to own it. The RL has better exterior looks, to me, but its interior isn't that much better or bigger; it's hard to justify the $12k MSRP difference (except for the SH-AWD). I expect that difference to shrink a lot as 2008s get cleared out, but when I heard about the super lease deals on the TL, I jumped to the TL.
    When the lease is up, I'll look again at the new - and old - RL vs. TL. Meanwhile, the TL handles and rides very well, is quiet and powerful, and looks good in and out. It is a little sporty for my taste, but I think I'll get used to that.
    Thanks to our hosts and all you posters for lots of good input.
    Guess what. There will be a new navi disc coming out soon. Version 4.70 will hopefully fix and replace that buggy 4.62 disc. 4.62 would cause problems with older cars. They say by the end of January or early Feb.
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    I have always liked the design of the previous RL thru 04. I'm pondering as to whether to save the cash and buy a pre-owned one or spend an additional $10K and buy an O* Accord. Suggetions? Thanks.
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    We have a 1999 Acura RL that we will be either selling on our own or trading in on a new vehicle.

We are wondering if it is better just to do the trade-in or if we have a chance or making more money on our own. Just concerned that there may not be a demand for this vehicle and that we should just cut our losses rather than dealing with selling ourselves? Any advice??
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    My 2000 RL (purchased 2002 as a lease back now has 77K and served me well). The extended warranty is expired and I do not feel the newer model is worth the price after driving it several times and looking at all the messages posted on this site. As for the TL, my daughter has a 2006TL which she loves. Although an attractive vehicle, I am 6'+ and being much older, I found driving it was uncomfortable, stiff riding..

I will most defenitly will drive the 2008 Accord for several hours this spring as I most likely will opt for it. The ease to get in and out is as good as my older model RL. The Accord has 2008 technology, styling, ride and just a smaller RL at a much better price with better resale.
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    Stay tuned. The 09 RL is said to be coming as early as may 08 with "significant changes" including "something that will surprise people". This came from a dealer. He had no specifics on the changes or the surprise.
    I can confirm this as well. An LPL who works with Acura says expect some big changes. It's going to be the most significant MMC for Acura/Honda. It's also the most expensive MMC.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Let me guess. More electronic gadgets!?
    I can confirm what Vavavavolvo said. It will be the largest mid model year facelift on any Honda/Acura vehicle. Lots of changes. Weather reporting reported to be one of them. Collision Mitigation braking system is a seperate option. Dont know about the adaptive cruise control. Might be standard. PAX tires are rumored to be discontinued. Improvements to the Navi, Bluetooth, HVAC, and audio systems are expected. Navigation will have weather reporting in addition to traffic reporting. Hard drive is expected as well. Navigation will be in the tech package again. New luxury ammenties will round out the package.

SH-AWD will get more power to the rear wheels. Maybe even a 6 speed auto transmission or a DSG. Who knows for sure about that. Honda and Acura have patents on new advanced transmission with more than 5 gears so stay tuned until Chicago auto show.
    Where are you getting all this info from? I talked to my dealer the other day and all he knew was that it may or may not have a V8 you seem like you got alot of info I just wanted to know where are you getting it from!! I google the new rl and nothing came up! and looked everywhere and all I see is your name rv65 in every forum saying the RL is getting this and the RL is gonna have that! I have a 06 RL my wife has a 07 MDX and we have a 08 tl type s you would think my dealer would tell me about the new RL!!! maybe we are out of the loop!!! lol
    All these "improvements" and nothing about reducing the noise in the cabin. Thats a big problem historically with Acuras. My dealer has heard this complaint so many times he won't even record my comments, says they have been reporting that for 2 years.

And what about the image of the RL? Did anyone notice the new Accord? Sort of degrades to exclusivity of this model.

So it would require at least a quiet cabin to even get me to look at the 2009's when my lease is up this Dec.
    Just like I figured! More gadgets and nothing in the way of more desirable design or performance. :sick:
    Well this facelift is so major that only 2 body panels are identical to the 2005-2008 model. Performance will be increased hopefully.
    Hey Taylord do you have a RL? I see alot of people on here who only test drove one and they think they know the car!! I have my RL 06 for a year and 3 month now! car is fast drives great no problems I get about 23 to 24 miles mpg HW and everybody who gets in say wow I didn't know how nice this car was!!! :shades:
    eclipse2,
    Just so you know, Tayl0rd has been posting in this RL forum from the beginning (early 2004). With all due respect he likes to stimulate the direction with posts that sometimes aggravate us owners. :( Deep down he loves the car or he wouldn't have spent this much time here. Can't blame him for that, as the RL is a GREAT CAR :) . I have 40,000 miles on my 2005 purchased new in Nov 2004 and perfect ever since.
    JJAcura
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    How well I recall the apochryphal stories circulated in 2001, 2002, 2003, etc, as to when the new RL would appear!! It took nine years to present us with the 2005 RL.Now, new predictions are sounded, some as early as this May - I would be hesitant to pin my hopes on this early date. My dealer has referred to 2010 and 2011 as likely dates for the new RL to materialize. So, guys, don't get your hopes up. Acura likes to keep us twisting in the wind, and I doubt if anyone on the dealership level has the vaguest idea when Acura plans to unveil a new, remodeled flivver. In any case, 'JJACURA' isn't ready to turn in his '05 'Silver Streak' for a newer RL!!

- Acuraphile
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    Any further thoughts on this question? Most of the feedback has been about the 05 and 06. Your feedback is important and valued. Many thanks.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    I will be driving my 2002 RL for one more year before I will be faced with the same decision you are faced with. I have looked at the Accord but not driven it. I am hoping the Accord will have a diesel by then.

All I could tell you is to drive them both and pick the one you like best. The Accord would have to be awfully good to get me out of my RL. Plus my Acura dealer is first rate. Honda, not so much. Good luck.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• amzamz Member Posts: 8
    I purchased 2007 RL less then 6 month ago, and already have major problem. Due to the malfunction of the driver side keyless entry system, the entire electronic system stopped operating (navigation system doesn’t work, display doesn’t work, you can only start a car if you use physical key (remote key doesn’t work), you can only open gas tank by removing decorative panel in the trunk of the car. When I brought my car to the dealership, they gave me a loaner and told me that repair would be done in a few days. After a few days I got a call from the dealer saying that the part that needs to be replaced is on the national back order list, and they should get this part in two weeks. It seems long, but what can you do, at least I have a loaner car. Two weeks later another call from the dealership, they are telling me that this part is not being manufactured yet, and estimated time of getting this part will be in 2-3 weeks. It leaves me for more then a month without my car (best case scenario). I called Acura directly, and ask if they have any program or policy to compensate owners in this situation (driving dealer’s is car not the ideal, I would rather drive my own car). Acura didn’t even want to lessen to my complains, they just said “Be happy that you have a loaner”; they didn’t even try to offer my free oil change, or any maintenance discount. It just tells you that Acura is not too much concerned about customer satisfaction.
    BBRIMMER, The condition of the 2004 RL would have to be spectacular to even consider the choice to begin with. Having said that I have driven the new 2008 Accord and thought it to be an excellent car. It has Acura all over it. My wife and I have owned Hondas since '83 and Acura's since '96. Personally I would lean heavily toward the new Accord in this case. Good Luck.

ACURAPHILE, And so it is......that fine distictive quality of my Celestial Silver 2005 Acura RL aptly dubbed "Quick Silver" continues and it is aging well. You are probably correct about the redesigned RL taking place in 2010 or 2011 but we could begin a new series of apocryphal stories NOW ;) and liven up this forum AGAIN.

~JJAcura
  • 4bearhug4bearhug Member Posts: 52
    Had my TL in for service work on Sat and asked a salemen about the new RL. He indicated that the sheet metal was a major overhaul, not just a minor tweek, new 3.7 engine, no V-8, no RWD, 6 speed tranny. I don't think I asked about a launch date or he didn't say. Sounded good to me especially if they do as good of a job with the RL as with the 08 Accord.

Take it for what it's worth.
    Rumor has it that the v6 will be a 3.5L 306 HP engine. Also heated abd cooled seats will be avaliable. The canadian model has had them since 05. Might be an error since the TL might get both a 3.5L v6 and a 3.7L v6. XM weather reporting will come. Edgier styling will also be a part of the package. All of this will debut at the Chicago auto show so stay tuned.
  • tonyinoctonyinoc Member Posts: 23
    I just turned 95,000 on my 05 RL today, and still going strong. Had to have a module replaced because the radio select buttons on the console stopped working, but now all is ok. Michelin Pilots performed great in the recent rain and snow in So Cal.

My dealer guys confirm the refresh/remodel/update will be an 09 model out this year.
    Tony,
    I remember you in 2005 running up heavy miles. And now with 95,000 miles you are an inspiration for me keeping the car beyond the warranty. Just one question Tony... can you tell me if the tires you are talking about are the Pilot Ultra performance All-Seasoned Michelins? (and were not the same as our OE's) I've been considering getting those next time around... before the snow flies next winter...by that time I will have about 50,000 miles on my 2005. also...How long do you plan to keep the 2005?
    JJAcura
    ... Deep down he loves the car or he wouldn't have spent this much time here. ...

That's no secret. I've always held high hopes for the RL. Thank the Legend for that. But Honda continues to disappoint. Eclipse2, I have an '08 BMW 550i Sport. I drove the current gen RL several times just to convince myself to like it, but it just has far too many compromises for me. And, IMO, doesn't live up to any of the hype bestowed upon it back then (or now.) I'm still keeping my eye out for a great successor to the second gen ('93-'95) Legend. Although it, too, was just a FWD car.
  • dsm05rldsm05rl Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for getting this posted so fast... have to admit, I'm sort of disappointed, but it's pretty much what I expected... I thought maybe they'd actually due a complete work over, but as usual with Honda/Acura it's only and exterior "refresh".

The RL still needs to be bigger and more meaty to compete in the $50k sedan segment. IMHO.
    jjacura -

Yes, these are the Ultra Performance Michelins, not the OEM's. Much quieter, stick like glue regardless of road surface, weather, etc. I paid about $238 per tire on special order from Costco, and will replace with the same when necessary.

I'm looking to replace the 2005 with a 2009 model, but, in the interest of fairness to all, I'll still have to drive the competition's boxes again.

Regardless of what they say in the LPS forums, this is a great car; and I've had great dealer experience with the two dealers I've been to locally. I've always had good luck with Honda/Acura and routinely put over 200,000 miles on my cars, but also I am a great believer in preventive maintenance. Also, to those of us where maintenance cost is a factor due to high mileage demands, a brake job on my RL is under $400, while the comparable job on an Audi A6 was $1400, although BMW gets my praise for included maintenance for 50,000 miles (about 1 year's worth for me).
    Just looked at the Chicago Auto Show blog on the '09 model. Looks like no changes for the interior, larger (MDX) engine and new panels.

I was hoping the trunk would be larger this time around (one of my complaints). Taillights look similar to the Accord. Overall, I think the '09 has taken on a similar exterior to the TL, only longer, with the more pronounced lines.
    Tony, Yes I thought those were the tires, thanks. I found a really in depth article regarding the new 2009 RL which by the way will be available at the dealers THIS SPRING! http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080206.021/2009-acura-rl-revealed-in-chicago
    JJAcura
  • benel45benel45 Member Posts: 1
    We are evaluating a used 2005 RL with 26,000 miles on it.
    Great car and comfortable ride, but a lot of road noise coming from the tires, both the freeway and at moderate speeds in city.
    In reading through the forums I don't see that this is a common problem. I did note a comment about tire over-inflation.

Anyone experiencing excessive road noise on their RL?

We are replacing our 1998 MB E320, which is a quiet ride, but this RL is noisier than even the TL's we've test-driven.
    After reading all the articles, blogs, and comments, there appears to be overwhelming dislike for the new RL. Vehement, even. Some talk about a complete redesign in 2010, but this 4-year turnaround for the RL redesign was pretty quick for Honda, so I'm not so sure about another complete redesign after only one year. I haven't heard anything about a 2010 redesign other than the blogs.

Of course, I too wish the new RL looked like the Jaguar XF, or the Aston Martin line, or the Bentley Continental GTC, or, or, .... Still, technologically, this car is superior.

For me, Honda/Acura is/are great 200,000 mile cars. If I only drove 10,000 miles per year, I might be driving an A6 or A8; 5 or 7 series, etc., never having had a problem with any car in the first 50,000 miles. The equation changes when high mileage kicks in; maintenance costs and reliability become a larger factors.

Financially, the RL can't be worth the development and production cost for the number of units sold.
    Personally I am not overly sensitive to the road noise from the O.E. tires but it is noticable and in this forum there have been comments about it going back over the 3.25 years the car has been on the road. If you like the car and buy it as is with only 29,000 miles on those tires you might have to put up with it for a year or so. On the other hand you could try to negotiate a better price and put new Michelin Ultra Pilots on right away for about $950
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    According to a report in "Automotive News," trade journal of the auto industry, Acura intends to move its new products up to "Tier 1" (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus). We'll see when the new TL debuts this year and the RL next year.