Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Thats why Smart Money's pointing out at pricing tactics involved in Cadillac and Audi is quite interesting. A lower base price provides for a perception of better pricing, even though in the end the car ends up costing much more.

I suspect the same will continue with Infiniti and if Lexus continues to do the same that it did with GS300, I anticipate a $41K starting MSRP as well, even if it means cloth trimmed seats (as is true today).
  • kfhmailkfhmail Posts: 199
    I understand this discussion is going to end around 1 Nov because the 05 RL will no longer be a "Future Car"...but...I still wish you would create separate discussions for the different generations of models. I believe the 05 is the 4th generation RL/Legend.

Each generation is different so the discussions should be separate and then if you wanted to know about the history of the model you could check the boards for the other generations.

Please at least think about this....

Thanks.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Depends on the car. For some vehicles, you'll see better handling with larger rims. In others, it doesn't make a difference.

Larger rims with a tire that has the same overall diameter are going to have a shorter, stiffer sidewall. That's good for handling, not so good for ride quality.

On the other hand, larger rims also weigh more than the smaller ones (even with less rubber on the tire). That adds to the unsprung weight the suspension must handle in order to do its job.
  • drjmakdrjmak Posts: 19
    2500 down 779 a month for 42 months and 15K . This must be because of the poor Resid value of old RL. Comes out to over 35K for a 50K car. My friend just got a MB E500 for 750 a month nothing down.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,199
    I agree..not a very good deal.. But, that is just one quote from one dealer.

I'm betting the residual value is fine.. What is probably driving that payment up, is a selling price of MSRP. No one has residuals strong enough to make up for that.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    On the other hand, larger rims also weigh more than the smaller ones (even with less rubber on the tire). That adds to the unsprung weight the suspension must handle in order to do its job.

Not always true. I would think that weight at the outer edges of a circle (lighter rims + large heavy tire) has a worser effect on rotational inertia than weight closer to the center of the circle (heavy rims + less heavy rubber), everything else being equal.
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    RL = "Revised Legend." Why not? The RL in Japan is sold as a HONDA LEGEND.

"Free" maintenance? Don't kid yourselves, there's no "free lunch" here. It's already paid for in the price of the car. The dealer will make out for the inevitable numbers of people who don't bring the cars in for regular service.

Our Acura dealer once had a pre-paid maintenance plan sold in the F&I along with pro-pack, credit life, and extended warranty. There were two big problems which led to the cessation of this. One, they limited this to the earlier of three years, 36K miles while the mainenance schedule was three years, 45K miles (every 7500 miles). Naturally, unless came in every six months/6000 miles, they'd get cheated out of the 37.5K and 45K services. A lot of complaints were filed. Secondly, a lot of big bonuses were paid out for the sale of this pre-paid plan and not enough $$$ were set aside in a reserve fund to pay for the services. The costs then were charged the current balance sheet.

Needless to say, a lot of customer discontent.
  • "Also, has anyone seen the RL in the celestial silver? How does it look?"

It's the brightest silver you've ever seen, very shiny and highly metallic. It doesn't have any grey or aluminum undertone like the regular silver. I like it so much!
  • rqcrqc Posts: 95
    >TL/SH-AWD, whenever that happens, should compete with S60R.

The TL is a great car, but I think Acura would have to make quite a few changes for it to compete well with the S60R. The RL and the S60R are very similar in specifications.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Interesting timing on your response to Celestial Silver. We are giving it more consideration. That silver is everywhere in print and computer pictures ,,,but we have not seen it in person yet. Will have to before we finalize our decision to order. (White was our first preference but we havn't seen that yet either)
    Drove a the Dark Blue demo yesterday and fell in love with the car. Funny tho' , the previous driver had the navigation set for a destination opposite from where we were going and the verbal commands were driving me nuts. It took a couple minutes to figure out how to redirect the Navi as we drove out of traffic.
  • I have used car-part.com successfully. You can search by make, model year and part. You can also search by region. It will list salvage yards that have the part you need. Prices vary greatly so look over them and call to see what they have and bargain. Some will list the color and you should be able to get a match. I did that with a Legend I knocked a side mirror off of. Just got the new one in the same color and put it on slick as anything.
  • bobb1bobb1 Posts: 22
    Yes, drove one and had my name on it but switched to Redondo Red. The silver is beautiful and if the one I had my hands on had oparchment interior it would be in my driveway right now. For your info it's more a blue silver than silver - For sure not run of the mill and a real looker.
    Perhaps that discussion deserves its own thread, and definitely whenever Acura announces it.

And I believe S60 is a compact sedan. TL interior is about the same size as 2005 Audi A6 & Mercedes E-class, and slightly smaller than RL (listed at 99.1 cu ft).
  • 9482494824 Posts: 8
    Are you sure it was the Celestial Silver and not the Meteor Silver Metallic? The Meteor Silver has an unusual blue tint.
  • Meteor Silver should be more accurately renamed Light Blue or Water Blue! Even the pics of this color in the brochure are misleading -- the car looks like silver, where in reality it's more blue. Well, nothing like seeing the real thing! :-)
  • Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all for the great info on this board prior to me test driving and buying the RL last Sunday.

The car is great so far; but, I'm still playing with all the gadgets. Took is out for a business trip to San Diego and so far logged about 500+ miles on it. I got a chance to drive in heavy rain and car handled nicely at about 80-85 mph. I'm really enjoying the quite cabin coupled with the great sound system with XM radio, the free DVD-Audio disk and MP3 create by my niece with a list of my favorite tunes. The nav system with voice activation is fairly easy to use with a female voice that reminds me about 1 mile away prior to exiting on the freeway and about 1/4 mile on local. I've been zooming out on the nav screen to see the live traffic updates prior to hitting the road to avoid heavy congestion. So far, it seem to be a valuable tool as there are many freeway options that I can take while traveling from work to home.

Since the sky clear up on the weekends, I just got my first car wash to keep it sparkling again.

Thanks again to all for great discussions!
  • Well I went to the DLR Ellicott City MD. Took out the new RL for a spin and I have to say that I was a little disappointed. I LOVED the interior of the new RL as well as the upgrade in HP. BUT is it I or has anyone else noted that the ride seemed to be a little harsh. I have a 2001 RL and my father has a 1999 and I kept thinking to myself that the new RL lacks the floaty feel that the prior RL's had and the wind/road noise was a lot more apparent than in the 01. I asked the sales guy about it and he turned on some kind of system that helps to eliminate the road noise. He stated that this car is supposed to be even quieter than the previous models but I am almost positive that it is not. Has anyone else experienced this or is it apart of my imagination?? Thank you
  • By the way I too loved all of the gadgets. Made my 01 feel somewhat ancient.
    I'm not sure what you meant by "turned on some system". Could you elaborate. There is system to be turned on.
  • I've read on other forums that some people really like lakeshore silver. Has anyone seen this color in person? Can someone point me to some pictures?

Thanks
  • I ordered my RL in Lakeshore Silver with taupe interior. It's splendid! I don't know why it's referred to as silver, however. It bears no resemblance to the other two silver choices; they are considerably lighter. I wish that I could describe it adequately but the color is elusive; not grey, not silver, but beautiful! One of the pictures in the brochure is accurate.
    Sorry I can't be of further help. To my knowledge, no one on the thread has posted a picture of the Lakeshore Silver.
  • I would describe Lakeshore Silver as kind of brownish grey with a hint of "purple" undertone! In the sun it's brighter, in the shade it's darker! I guess Acuraphile used the right word --"elusive"!
  • I test drove the car yesterday and was also disappointed. The horsepower (300HP) is lacking or in this case the torque is lacking. Floored it on the local road and on the highway and the engine did not respond the way that the Audi A6 (4.2L) did which I test drove the day before. Handling was also subpar to the Audi. It did have a more quite, sedate and floaty feel to it. It was kinda boring to drive. It was definitely not what I expected with all the hype about the car being more sporty than luxury per the threads in this forum.

As for the interior, it is very nice but lacking in added wood trim on the middle console. In my opinion,it only looks good in the black interior because the light interior made the center console stand out and look cheap. There is no way an adult can ride comfortably in the middle back seat. I am 5' 10" and my head was up against the roof. BTW, Audi was the same. It is only a 4 passenger vehicle.

The only selling point was the price, since it had everything on it and some dealer added accessories such as color mud guards, spoiler (must have since it looks great with it than without), wood stearing wheel and shift nob all added up to another $2000. Making the price at $52,000. This particular dealer is adding this to all their RLs unless you ordered one without.

The dealer said MSRP, no negotiations, even though they had 3 on the lot unsold. Go figure. I think the price will drop very quickly within the next 3-6 months. I was nothing like the MDX when it debut, demand was much greater.

JMHO
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Because we will not order the car until we see all of the colors in person, I have now added the Lakeshore Silver to our Must See list...the brochure doesn't seem to do it justice but there is something about it that is very interesting and worth checking out on a sunny day! Maybe then the "elusiveness" will go away. We have seen the nighthawk black, the carbon grey, the blue pearl, and the Meteor silver.
    On our test drive the RL had sufficient torque for me and I didn't come close to pushing the peddle to the floor. I also thought if it's torque a man wants then why stop at Audi A6.....but thats just my impression.
  • akuo1akuo1 Posts: 5
    Interesting to see a no-so-good testdrive comment, especially on the handling/ride where most testers & magazines have reved about it.

Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't have any copy for testdrive. You'll drive it only after you have put in deposit and your car has arrived.

The demand is not at the level of MDX's rookie year according to the local dealer.
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    "rllover" - ride is too harsh and not "floaty" enough;
    "low ball" - it's "floaty and sedate."

Must be like the "sleep number bed" advertised on TV. Everyone has their own preferences.

I'll make up my own mind, including the colors (I'm color-blind, BTW). I finally got the brochure in today's mail. Private viewing set for 11/01, with hors d'ouvers, cocktauls, and valet parking.

Oh, when I RSVPed, the receptionist haughtily inquired: "OH, BY WHOM WERE YOU INVITED?" And I'm a current RL owner!
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    My totally unscientific prediction is that at the end of the day, the RL's sales numbers will disappoint. It's nice, don't misunderstand me, but it somehow doesn't incite that "must have" reaction. It's full of computer chips and gadgets, but it doesn't have knock-out styling and power. And in Canada, the price will be a major factor. If I'm coughing up $70K+, I'll be cross-shopping a lot of Audi, MB and BMW, and even Lexus models priced up to about $80K, which will include quite a few tempting alternatives. I'm not saying the others are better values, but at this price stratosphere, value may not be top priority.
  • oman9oman9 Posts: 97
    Prophet...funny, I thought the same thing after reading those successive posts...to each his own!

Robertsmx...I don't believe anyone answered that question re: road noise and "Is there a system to be turned on..."

I am not sure of the answer but can offer this...on Motorweek I saw a review of the Honda Odyssey. There is "white noise" emitted through the speakers on the Odyssey to reduce wind noise...perhaps same deal on RL???
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    "There is "white noise" emitted through the speakers on the Odyssey to reduce wind noise...perhaps same deal on RL??"

That's the idea, but I'm told the system counteracts noise even when the radio is turned off. That still leaves the question of which switch the salesperson toggled.
  • oman9oman9 Posts: 97
    Yeah, went back and re read the original post..."turned on" some sort of system... I would be surprised one would have to take an active measure to reduce perceived road noise. I wonder if that poster misunderstood what the salesman was saying/doing?

Hopefully rllover will come back and provide clarification...