Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    Yeh...I know. Please forgive me, I just couldn't help myself.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,958
    I know you have been dealing with them for years.. but, I just haven't had much luck dealing with the Joseph dealerships.. While the Acura guys are pleasant enough, frustration would define my interactions with every one of their dealerships...

On another note.. how is the new Audi dealership? I haven't been by there since they opened.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Outstanding handling. Impressive skidpad: 0.87g and that without the need for low-profile, high performance tires. O-60: 6.7; 0-100: 17.1; 1/4 mile: 15.2 @94mph. One editor claims RL more than held its own against recently tested 5 Series & E-class.

Minor quibbles: conservative styling (naturally), no more interior room than the Accord, faster cars available for less money.

On balance, however, a rave.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    0 to 60: 6.7s

So high 6's, just as we've been thinking all along.

Not as high as you hope for when you hear 300 hp, but still best in class. 530i auto and E320 are about 7 secs I think.

The only car that may better it is the M35.

We know that the 245 hp GS300 isn't gonna get there.

"Minor quibbles: conservative styling (naturally), no more interior room than the Accord, faster cars available for less money"

The only real quibble is conservative styling then. No car in this class has more room than the Accord, and the cheaper, faster cars quibble applies to every other car in the luxury performance category.
  • I was watching MotorWeek on PBS about 3 weeks ago and they clocked a 0-60 time in 6.5 secs.
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    Yes, I've read several conflicting "takes" on the RL's 0-60 times. We'll just have to wait until some official road tests/reviews/comparos are published. I dove in an took delivery on 14 Oct 04 and have, thus far, concluded that the RL has substantially exceeded my expectations! It will only be icing on the cake if the magazines, collectively and consistently, come up with 0-60 times under 6.8 seconds and the top speed numbers were to hover around 150 mph...That being the case, and given all the other goodies - SH-AWD, tech-stuff, ergonomics, superb interior design, quality materials, and overall conservative/elegant appearance - I can rest easy with the knowledge that my $50k will have been, indeed, very well spent!
  • I actually deal, now that the it is part of the Joseph group with the same salesrep I have been doing biz with for about 15 years. The brothers, per se, seem OK as far as I can tell.

The new Audi dealership is a palace (for $7MM it should be). The Acura dealership is dated and is dualed with Hyundai -- isn't that ODD?

We have several Acura dealerships and two Audi dealerships in our area -- the new Audi dealership reminds me of the factory in Germany it is so pristine and perfect. What counts is the treatment and the cars. Both the Acura and the Audi seem to be fine cars, the last time I owned a Chrysler it was a Cordoba with fine Corinthian Leather (that was, hmmm, the 70's?) Anyway, I sit patiently waiting -- I can "go" anytime in the next few months and I'm fine. My 2003 allroad has 37K miles on it and a new set of tires.

For once, time is on my side lease wise. Let's hope that both the Fed pauses and that the build up of inventory (of cars) causes some "liquidation" incentives to, once again, kick in -- for all cars.

Stimulus anyone?
  • proeproe Posts: 157
    My biggest disappointment is the 70-0 brake distance, 180 ft. that is at least 13 ft longer than bmw 530i. However, audi s4, the m3 beater, takes about 177 ft, so in that perspective, it is not that bad. I wonder if 18" wheel will help that.

In terms of the handling, .87 g is same as s4 and m3. I do not think rl's new chassis is stiffer than neither s4 nor m3, so I think that tells a lot about shawd. I think with better tires, rl will achieve .90 g or better.

I will wait until m35 comes out to see if rl is the winner.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Well, C&D's 0-60 time of RL is not surprising to me based on my own test-drive. I put it at 6.5-7.0sec in my report. Top speed is more or less a function of horse power and drag coefficient (and top gear). BMW E39 540iA with 290hp and 0.32 Cd can reach about 155mph. RL with 300hp and 0.28Cd would reach beyond that.

BMW's brake performance comes with a cost. You need to replace pads and rotors simultaneously as they are designed to wear out together. Therefore, a lot of brake dust from pads and rotors.
    Honda/Acura brakes usually require longer stopping distances than many others, but nonethless, testers, from Consumer Reports to the car mags, have always rated their brakes as good. Brake feel in the RL I test drove was excellent.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    "the last time I owned a Chrysler it was a Cordoba with fine Corinthian Leather (that was, hmmm, the 70's?"

The TV commercials were great. Ricardo Montalban "A luxury name and luxury feel, with fine Corinthian leather interior, along with a normal car price" 1975- 1983
  • "No car in this class has more room than the Accord"

Check out the Nissan Altima
    I'm talking about the RL's class: luxury performance sedans.

Maybe the STS has more room, but not the A6, 5, or E. Not sure what the specs will be on the new GS and M, but I'd imagine their similar to the RL, but with bigger trunks.
    Slight correction: I think the ad line was "Rich Corinthian Leather." No? After that Chrysler sank into the deep.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    You may have it right .."Rich"...but Ricardo did many comercials and for some reason I remembered it as FINE Corinthian leathers..maybe Mark can remember.
    HEY DOES EVERYBODY HAVE ACURA RL (FORUM) BOOKMARKED?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    Grab the children and follow the new bookmark! See the top of this page.

Last few hours at this URL.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I test drove the RL yesterday. Fantastic car! Very smooth, and power is more than enough for luxury driving. Handling and cornering is pretty stable and steady. Breaking is firm and assuring. The cabin is well insulated and quiet. Visibility is excellent! I told the salesman that the only problem is that they don't have a "buy one get one free" offer!
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    "We know that the 245 hp GS300 isn't gonna get there."

On the contrary, the GS is a smaller car, coupled with what might be a better transmission. It also has DI so...we should at least wait until specs are released before we make assumptions :)
    Honda/Acura does have a kind of buy-one-get-one-free offer. You can buy two Honda Accord EX V-6s for the price of one RL. Thus, for the price of one RL, you get two cars. Buy one get one free.
  • If we take it a step further, for the price of the RL I can get THREE Honda Civic EX's! So it's more like "buy-one-get-two-free"! :-)
    I will be shocked if the GS300 AWD breaks 7 seconds.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    I second that opinion.
  • I just came back from the California Auto Show in Anaheim California. There I had the opportunity to sit in several of the RLs on the floor.

Nice looking car, but for me one major flaw. I found the seat to be downright uncomfortable because of how it narrows at the base of the seat, and, the very strong and unforgiving bolsters. Try as I might to get comfortable I always got a backache.

Now I know that some women found the seat to be very comfortable, and for some men as well, but for a 200+ guy with a 44 waist I simply didn't fit.

So now I am in quandry. I want a new car but I certainly can't plunk down $50K (sticker at the show was $49,700!!) for a car that gives me a backache.

Is there anyway to have an uphostery shop loosen up the bolsters? Is a special ordered seat a pipe dream?

The Lexus GS I sat in was much more comfortable, but the styling is not great, IMO. The Infiniti Q45 is comfortable but it's a big car and more money. The 2006 M45 was at the show but you couldn't sit in it.

What to do? Any suggestions?
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    Seriously, we have the private showing this evening, so I'll have to check out the back seat, even though I doubt I'll be doing anything but driving it.

I'm 5'10", 207, with a 38" waist. I know, I know, I should get on some serious exercise routine. My doctors want me to get down to 190, which I almost did in the summer of 2003 at 194.
  • Email Acura and ask them to super-size it for you!
  • "I'm talking about the RL's class: luxury performance sedans."

Then why do you mention the Accord at all..it is certainly not in this class....
  • bobb1bobb1 Posts: 22
    An addition to seating comments. I too have a bad back and found that the only car that really did my back any good was a Lincoln Town Car, but when I had one look at that 1960's dash I just could not do it!!!! However the solution is at hand, scoot on over to Wallmart and get a chair pad - the type you put on those hard kitchen chairs. I found that works well and it raises my back up enough that the lumbar support is even better.
    I was responding to Car & Driver's quibble that the RL has "no more interior room than the Accord", and saying that no other car in the luxury performance sedan category has more room than the Accord, except maybe the STS.
  • A while ago, before the introduction of the 2005 RL, I became impatient with the absence of news from Acura and inquired of one of the car mag's writers if anything had come across his desk re a new RL and, possibly, one driven by a V-8. The following was his reply:

"For what it's worth, I think the purist engineering community at Honda believes that
    A) A V-6 makes enough power, or at least that Honda can make a V-6 that's powerful enough and,
    B) Counterweighted crankshafts, required to offset an inherent secondary imbalance in a V-8, are inelegant! They'll race with 8s or 10s, but they'd really prefer a nice inherently balanced
    12. I recently had a Honda engineer (not the source for our Acura info) explain to me at length why V-8s aren't good for smoothness, and indeed, the V-8 is the only common engine configuration with free forces out of balance, UNLESS you use counterweights. So, I said, continuing to argue that the NSX would quadruple sales overnight with two more cylinders, Honda has made 3s and 5s, which have greater inherent vibrations (though they're not "forces" but "moments" that are out of balance). He just got exasperated with me, in part because the language barrier was significant. It's good to know the exasperation cuts both ways, though."

Interesting? Agree? Disagree?

Nice seeing some familiar faces!
  • Test drove the RL and liked much about it and especially the Lakeshore silver metallic color. Was concerned about the lack of trunk space and low end torque. Still was interested until the Las Vegas dealer quoted $52,500 out the door (no extended warantee, no mats, no tint, no tax). The price seems very very high especially given my previous concerns and since it is a new model with the expected bugs, especially with all the new gadgets. Even with all these concerns, I like Acuras and would still consider a purchase from out of town if anyone has a suggested dealer who can give me a reasonable price. If not, I will stay with my 99RL with 68K miles. Scoobe