Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• proeproe Posts: 157
    One more point that I want to make is the repair cost of the Hybrid. IMHO, the cost is going to be much higher than non-hybrid as the system is much more complex. Actually, the judgment of the hybrid is still to be seen.
    The three other states are Connecticut, Maine, and Massachusetts.

According Money, the overall mpg is 32 mpg. And, according to March 2004 issue of Car and Driver, the observed European combined is 28 mpg and the gasoline version is 22 mpg.
    According to C/D, the issue with diesel is oxides of nitrogen, NOx.

"The new NOx target is 0.05 gram per mile for the first 50,000 miles of a vehicle's life, which can rise to 0.07 gram at 120,000 miles; the particulate limit is just 0.01 gram per mile for the full 120,000 miles. The last year's limits were higher - 1.00 to 1.25 grams per mile of NOx and 0.08 to 0.10 gram per mile of particulates. These regulations are considerably more strict than Europe's most stringent Euro IV standard of 0.40 gram of NOx and .04 gram of particulates per mile for diesel cars (Europe sets slightly tougher emissions limits for gasoline engines)."

I wonder why.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Modern engines are more complex that engines of yesteryear. That doesn't make them bad, just different. The same logic can be applied to newer CTDi engines compared to the older turbo diesels.

If you want to look at it in a different way, diesels use turbo charger, hybrids use electric motor. That said, electric motors are sturdier and simpler than ICE engines to start with.
  • saugataksaugatak Posts: 488
    The point is, no matter how well designed or reliable electric engines are, some of 'em will break down.

If there aren't a lot of mechanics familiar with how to fix those engines, the repair cost is going to be high, simple supply and demand.
  • courtney11courtney11 Posts: 77
    I currently own a 2001 TL and am considering a new model. Not being particularly thrilled with the new TL I am looking at the new RL. Considering it is still a V-6 the new options they are touting do not thrill me that much. I live in Florida and do not see the need for AWD nor do I really need satellite radio. The pictures I have seen appear o.k. but the interior seems awfully dark and somewhat bland. Is it just me or does the dash seem to be almost exactly like the TL? It also seems like quite a bit of money for a V-6. In lookinjg at the upcoming Lexus GS its base engine is going to around 250 H.P. This seems more than adequate to me and the interior looks nicer to me as does the exterior. It also should be considerably less money, around 8-10K less for a rear drive V-6. I would appreciate any replys and thoughts on the 2 models. I am not comparing this to the G.S V-8 as this is not a model I am considering. When the new G.S. come out will there be heavy discounts on the current models?
    The new RL will be in showrooms in October.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    I live in Florida and do not see the need for AWD

Urban legend. There's a big misconception out there that AWD is only a winter benefit for those in the snow belt. Not true. Full-time (not so much on-demand AWD) is a year-round asset regardless of where you live. AWD is a big benefit in the rain, and with the new SH-AWD in the RL, appears to be a big plus in terms of handling too.

Having owned FWD, RWD, and now with two Subarus, I can assure you firsthand that AWD is a 365-day-a-year asset.

Bob
    RL AWD system is not just a bad weather AWD system. While it is definitely going to help in bad weather situation, that’s not the end of the purpose. It is designed to enhance handling dynamics of the vehicle. If "bad weather" were the only reason, VTM-4 (as it exists in MDX) would had served the purpose. There was no need to develop "SH-AWD".

And a new Lexus GS for $8-10K less! Good luck.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Posts: 341
    >>The new RL will be in showrooms in October

Where did you get that information?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    I'm a little late in chiming in, but AWD is NOT a winter climate only feature -- it is an overall handling, performance and safety feature that works in wet, dry or "frozen" conditions.

Plenty of races -- in warm places on dry pavement -- have proven the value of AWD beyond the "winter" advantage. Moreover, the last time I was in Florida, there were plenty of SUV's -- my assumption is that most of them see little off road time. Perhaps their owners wanted some of the advantages of AWD or 4WD despite the almost total lack of "winter."

Don't discount the RL simply because it is AWD, is my message.
    That said, AWD will be considered an upgrade in the GS. But I doubt it will be oriented to enhance performance the way SH-AWD is supposed to in RL.
    According to me dealer it will be October.
    How much do you think a GS 300 will be? I believe the RL will be around 48k and the GS V-6 around 39-40K. The GS V-8 will be around 48-50K.
    Thanks for the info. Now, do you all think that a GS 300 at around 39K without AWD is a better deal than an RL with AWD at around 48K?
    Which would you all prefer?
    >>According to me dealer it will be October.

And my dealer (I called him this afternoon) insists a demo will be available late August. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    >>Thanks for the info. Now, do you all think that a GS 300 at around 39K without AWD is a better deal than an RL with AWD at around 48K?
    Which would you all prefer?

For that price you don't get a premium sound system, navigation system, or leather seats - all standard in the RL. If you don't need or want any of those things, go with the Lexus. If you do want those things, then you're in the RL price range and you might as well go a little bit more and get the RL with AWD.
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    These electric motors will mostly be a replace variety, whatever the cost. We have moved a long way since when they would crack open a motor and to the stator and windigs and all that to repair it. There is not much "difficulty" in swapping an electric motor, but then again, i may be biased as i have a background in that... but honestly a person with a below average IQ could do it...
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    $39K for a GS300 seems unlikely. Current GS300s MSRP over 40, and I would expect at least some increase over the outgoing models. I think an '05 GS300 is going to be closer to $45K. Courtney, have you considered the Infiniti M35?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    Now, do you all think that a GS 300 at around 39K without AWD is a better deal than an RL with AWD at around 48K?

Hard to tell until the *production* RL breaks cover. Right now we're just guessing.

Having said that, I've got to say I won't consider anything seriously unless it's AWD. So instead of paying $39K for a GS300, I'd pay $29K for a new '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited turbo or $33K for a new '05 Subaru Outback 3.0 H6 LL Bean, both of which have taken a quantum leap upscale, are very luxurious, very powerful (both have 250hp engines), and come standard with AWD.

Or... if you're concerned about owning a turbo, and/or don't want a *station wagon,* and want a 6-cylinder engine, consider the 3.0R H6 Outback sedan at $31K.

http://www.subaru.com/servlet/showroom?model=OUTBACK&trim=30_- R_SEDAN&command=overview

Bob