Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Ability to adjust the height on the passenger seat of the 2005 RL sure would be great....I hear you! The MDX has it.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread yet... but Honda Legend (AKA Acura RL) obtained the Car Of The Year 2004-2005 award in Japan. It managed to get 425 votes.

Among prime competitors, Nissan Fuga (AKA Infiniti M35/M45) finished third with 246 votes. The new Audi A6 was towards the bottom with 76 votes.

Most Advanced Technology award went to the Legend as well.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Robertsmx,
    Yes, it was posted here before. SH-AWD did win a lot of votes for Legend. However, Fuga out sold Legend 3:1 in Japan for the past month (10/14 to 11/14). VW Jetta got the 2nd, edging out Fuga by 1 vote.
    My new RL is due for delivery in a couple weeks. I am elated. I am not allowed to advertise my 2000 Acura 3.2 TL on this forum so I won't!
  • I recently drove from Boston->NYC and then back. NavTraffic had been working fine in Boston and actually worked in NYC as well. When I drove back however, it never worked once I got back to Boston. I also noticed that my "Messages" icon is greyed out and the AcuraLink configuration option under the setup menu doesn't workl (ie. I select it and nothing happens). I called XM Radio to have them send a refresh signal and nothing happened.

It seems like my RL needs a reboot. Am I stuck with taking this to the dealer to get it fixed? I unfortunately don't have a Nav system manual so if there is something there I'd appreciate any suggestions. Yes, I've read the other posts. This has nothing to do w/ the icons being hidden :-)
  • Does anybody know if the 2005 RL has RDS (Radio Data System)? I find it hard to imagine that a vehicle with a sound system as advanced lacks the fairly old RDS technology (my '98 A4 has it, after all), but it wasn't operating on the demo I test drove last weekend, I couldn't find it anywhere, and the salesman was totally worthless (he actually tried to sell the car based on "real wood trim" and the steering wheel's power adjustment).

Also, has anybody done a head-to-head of the RL and the new A6? I'm interested in your thoughts if so. I'm torn between the two...while sportier looking (IMHO), the A6 3.2 seemed sluggish off the line, whereas the RL was much quicker, and the RL is almost certain to be more reliable, but my family has been Audi-only for nearly 20 years! I did find that SH-AWD blew Quattro, which has a tendency to oversteer, away.
  • brew99brew99 Posts: 86
    The actual price difference is more like $11k Cdn.

MSRP plus destination charge in the US is $49,470 US. MSRP plus destination in Cda is $70,700 Cdn. Using a $1 Cdn = $0.83 exch rate to equivalize the two results in a $11,098 Cdn or $9,211 US difference. I made this comparison quite a while ago on this board using a lower exch rate but the Cdn $ keeps on rising in value.

But for all intents and purposes this is a completely academic comparison since we are talking about two completely seperate markets for new vehicles since there is no free flow of new or nearly new vehicles taking place between the two markets to balance out pricing.

Valuebuyer you seem quite distressed by this but would you rather have been paying significantly more for your vehicles for the last decade with the value of the Cdn$ well below the $0.70 level??? Gbabaluk's post in the M35/45 board which provides rationale from Honda is completely realistic - they will definitely look at market characterisitics including category demand, competitive pricing and other factors before setting their price - if it was your business wouldn't you? In all liklihood Honda has probably hedged their foreign exchange exposure anyway and is unlikely to be profiting from pure exchange rate differences. They also probably set their price for this vehicle over a year ago when the exchange rate was significantly different.

They have however decided to price the RL at a relatively higher price point in the category. To this point it appears they are getting it as the RL appears to be in hot demand in Cda and going for MSRP. How long will it last? Will new competitive offerings ultimately change it? The market will decide - especially a value driven mkt such as this one.
    What is the price difference between the Legend and Fuga in Japan? BTW, Legend wasn't launched in Japan at the same time it was here (Oct 14). Was it? Honda mentioned receiving 2200 units of Legend orders.
    Direct conversion doesn't work always. We know about the RL, which is priced at $49K in the USA and $69K in Canada. Lexus GS430 follows a similar pricing strategy, $49K in the USA versus $69K in Canada (IIRC).
  • somnosomno Posts: 43
    I hopefully may never have to put chains on this car, but as I do go to Mammoth Mountain a lot it may sometimes be necessary.

Any idea which set of wheels get the snow chains?
    What is the price difference between the Legend and Fuga in Japan? BTW, Legend wasn't launched in Japan at the same time it was here (Oct 14). Was it? Honda mentioned receiving 2200 units of Legend orders.
    Legend went on sale 09/01. Fuga went on sale 10/14. Legend is priced at 5.25m yen. Fuga has many models with 250GT between 3.4m - 3.6m yen and 350GT between 4.2m - 4.9m yen. (1 US$ ~ 110 yen)

With Legend at one price and higher price point, it is no surprising that Fuga out-sold it.

BTW, if you read Honda Japanese website, Honda Legend does have options to be available in March/2005 (lane keeping, for one). Not sure about their availability in the US.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    ceric, where do you get this info?

Can you read Japanese?

I'm surprised that the top of the line Fuga is cheaper than the RL. Hopefully, that'll be the case for the M35 AWD as well.
  • You still are not factoring in the 6.1% Canadian Duty which is applicable to all automobiles not manufactured in North America.
    This will lower the difference based on your calculations to $ 7,715. not $ 11,098.
  • I have my RL for 5 days now and I've seen (while I'm watching it) the traffic info disappear from the screen. When I go to the 'display icons' option, the traffic is 'greyed-out' and is a non-selectable item. The traffic info has come on, at random intervals, later on...but I am disappointed in this so far....the dealer is looking into it, but no response yet. The only other disappointment is that the radio does not display title/artist/etc info, even with a DVD-A playing. And it doesn't even seem to display info from FM as most current radio's do....hmmmmm.

Other than these two things, the car is great!
  • I want to upgrade to 18" wheels (not Acura's - aftermarket), but one place told me that the new RL's have a new bolt pattern so there are few, if any, new wheels available yet. One online wheel retailer said the opposite, that they are the same. Does anyone know? Also, what about moving the tire-pressure monitoring valves - is it possible or would I have to sacrafice this feature (which I don't want to do) for the larger wheels?

Thanks for any info.
  • Ok, I am not an idiot, really. The last car I had (a 2004 Touareg which was re-purchased by VW under the lemon law) had automatic lights and, as with the RL, you just put the switch to 'Auto' and you're done. But, at night, with the switch on auto, everytime I turn the car off and open the door, it beeps at me. If I turn the lights off (and even if I immediately return the switch to 'auto') the beeping goes off, but this makes no sense....any ideas? Or what am I missing?
    Honda Legend was announced for Japanese market on Oct 7, a week before it went on sale in the USA. For the Japanese market, Honda is seems to be offering two or three packages: Exclusive, Advanced and Advanced HI to include things like Intelligent Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, Rear Window Shade, Rear Power Sunshade, Power Trunk Open/Close, Intelligent Night Vision and Collision Mitigation System with E-Pretensioner. Standard features also include 10-way adjustments for driver and passenger front seats.

This essentially puts Honda Legend in the Japanese market to cover a price range of 5.25m Yen (base) to 6.91m Yen (fully loaded). Honda Inspire is designed for a lower price range class, and it goes up to 4.3m Yen at the moment. With possible addition of SH-AWD, Inspire's loaded price would be closer to base price on the Legend.
    You're right. Oct 7 was the on-sale day of Legend. The news releases started on Sep 1. For those who are interested in Fuga, let us take it to M35/M45 forum. I don't want to hijack this one. Thanks.
  • Same problem with the auto-lights here. Seems to be a bug, I wonder if they can just fix that via some kind of software update. For now I just ignore it. :- / Almost makes me nervous when I leave the car though!
  • hendjazhendjaz Posts: 155
    Twentworth and Spclst,
    Suggest doing a search here using "navtraffic" as it will turn up prior posts on this issue. I had two earlier ones at #4617 and #4686 which may or may not be relevant to you. In short it could be a loose connection at the XM box in your trunk or you need the box replaced as I did. Best of luck.
    When the headlights are on auto and you turn off the ignition at night and open the door a beep will occur as a reminder that you have left the lights on auto. I ignore the reminder because the lights automatically turn off according to the delay you set (I set mine to 15 seconds) but for others they may want to turn the lights off manually so they don't automatically come back on when the car starts. Thus I don't think its a malfunction but just a perhaps an unnecessary reminder for some folks (including me too).
  • Another possibility on the traffic is that you have lost the link to the satellite. Since it's provided by XM, it comes down on the same satellite link as your XM radio. If you don't have a line-of-sight to the satellite, you're probably out of luck.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Does the RL have a true auto-light control system, one that reacts to ambient lighting?

If it is truly automatic, it should not come back on when the car is started unless the ambient lighting is below the threshold level. Otherwise, it really just have auto-off lights, the same as in the TL, MDX, and Accord.
    The RL does test the ambient lighting and the owner can set the sensitivity level to one of 3 or 4 levels. When parking in a garage though even the lowest level of sensitivity will cause the lights to come on even in daylight as most garages are sufficiently dark to trigger this. Once you pull out of the garage they immediately go off.
  • It is a true auto-light control. You can set the ambient light level that triggers it on.
    It is probably not a satellite reception issue because the ones who are reporting the navtraffic issue, as I encountered several weeks ago, are still getting XM radio reception but not getting Acuralink and Navtraffic which are received in another part of the XM box. If there is not XM radio reception too, then that is a satellite reception issue as you mention.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Thanks, guys. Wish my TL had this feature!
  • Just throwing a thought out there. My wife's A4 Cabriolet is the first car we've owned with satellite radio (Sirius), and it loses it's link in our garage, at certain overpasses, and on a particularly windy, hilly road around here.
  • >>I wish Acura would allow you to turn the ANC on and off. That would be the best way to tell the impact.

You can turn it off and on. I believe it's under audio set up.
    Everything in my RL is performing well. I actually do look forward to getting that first service though after reading Shotgun and your posts. Keep an eye on that MPG George because other people are saying it improves 4 to 5 miles and I look forward to the feedback. JJ