Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• >>It is a Verizon V710

Actually, it's a Motorola V710 with Verizon's specs.
  • igibanigiban Posts: 530
    Lexus ES has that already but I don't even use that often due to this so called Daytime Running light that is tied to Light Auto-On feature. Even under a bright sun light, auto mode will have part of the lights on, which I think is overkill. So I typically manually switch to Auto from off when I sense it a bit dark, but still turn it off normally. Are some of RL's lights on in auto mode under the sun too?
  • somnosomno Posts: 43
    In the quick start guide on the MID page, it mentions Keyless Relock Timer settings with options of 30, 60 or 90 seconds. What does that do exactly?
  • >>Are some of RL's lights on in auto mode under the sun too?

The RL has Daytime Running Lights, also. If you operate the lights in automatic mode, you'll have Daytime Running Lights in the day, then when it gets dark, your full headlights come on.
  • I believe this is when you unlock car with the key FOB and then dont open any doors...the car will re-lock itself in a certain amount of time. I guess that time range can be adjusted.
  • The Motorola V710 is now on the RL compatible list. However it requires a software upgrade. The number of the software for the phone supplied by Verizon is: "8700_01.3E.S2"
    I got this information from Acura customer service. My local Verizon store didn't have the software yet. They couldn't give me a date when they would have it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,831
    Almost all remote locks have this feature... It is to ensure that if you accidently press the key fob while walking away from the car, the car doesn't stay unlocked while you are away from it..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

In the quick start guide on the MID page, it mentions Keyless Relock Timer settings with options of 30, 60 or 90 seconds. What does that do exactly?
  • shotgunshotgun Posts: 184
    My 05' RL's XM also looses signal in my garage...
  • I'm looking for input/opinions from anybody else who decided between the RL and the A6 and why. I'm torn between the two...but it seems to be "little things" that are upsetting me (lack of height adjustment on passenger seat and fold down rear seat in Acura, or less technology in the Audi). For the record, my immediate family has owned nothing but Audis for the last 20 years, but they seem to be getting progressively less reliable; everyone I know with a Japanese car praises their reliabliity.
  • You should lose XM while in your garage. You need a line of sight for the signal. The garage roof doesn't allow that.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Try Mark Cincinnati in this forum. Can't think of anyone who has compared those 2 cars more!
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    Do any RL owners feel torque steer?
    Or has SH-AWD taken care of this problem?
    The only type of "steer" I feel is of the type a train experiences when its on tracks or the type you feel when on a roller coaster...In other words, none...
  • Well, as I've learned after using computers for 20 years now.

When in doubt, reboot.

I removed the Radio fuse and plugged it back in and of course, now everything works again.

This will be an ongoing concern as cars become more and more like computers.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    You guys have Daytime Running Lights in the US now?
    Actually I think there are still quite a few brands that don't have the relock feature. From what I know, Mazda doesn't, and I don't think Nissan/Infinite does either, not the pre-2000 models anyway.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,831
    Must be rough on people with OCD... I don't know how they ever manage to leave their car...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I just purchased the Motorola V710 through Verizon. It had been out of stock for some time due to a recall. In checking the S/W version, my phone states - 8700_01.30.8F. Is this the version you have, or is this a later version. How does one tell?

I also sent a number of inquiries to Motorola about the Verizon V710 phone and whether or not it had any limitations for use with the Acura and information transfers. They responded that due to the lack of the OBEX profile, the phone can only support Bluetooth capability for pairing-up with the headset and for using the phone as a modem. It cannot be used for data synchronization like phonebook and calendar, nor for media transfer, like pictures and ringtones. Hence, it cannot synchronize contacts with the car's navigation system phonebook.

I believe the issue is NOT synchronization, but rather access and transfer. Motorola further stated that I would need to contact Verizon about this firmware upgrade and availability. When I asked Verizon, all I got was double-talk, and that the phone was working as designed.
    I will test it myself in 2 weeks when I hope to pick up my new RL.
  • I've had my share of audi's since the mid-80s - the latest was a 2003 A4 Cabriolet.

I've had the 05 RL for a month now, and I couldn't be happier. There's a sense of confidence in knowing that everything is working as it should, and that there's a customer centric service organization at my acura dealership should a glitch pop up.

With the A4 - i had an oil leak (gasket) which required the dropping of the transmission; side mirrors that would not stay set in memory; steering wheel and door switches that lost their finishing; loose stabilizer bar. It all got fixed, but i just tired of the hassles.

This is my 3rd acura in 3 years, and i'm impressed. Nothing's perfect - but the whole package fits me well. I've also had 3 mercedes - and i can't even begin to describe the nightmare with them. They had to buy back one of my vehicles.

These cars are all complex -- and there will be glitches. For me - I need a service dept that cares about it's customers.. the RL and Acura work for me.

PS - I did drive the 05 A6 4.2 - hated the dash around the steering wheel (bland/bleak), thought the rear-end had the highlights of a saturn (chrome strip)... and just wasn't willing to be a ginea pig for audi... again.

Good luck
  • Thanks for the input--very helpful. Let me guess about the A4--camshaft gasket, right? I've had it twice on my car (98 A4 2.8) and once on my wife's old car (99 A4 2.8). $1K each time, and no help from Audi of America for something that shouldn't EVER have failed, much less at under 50K or twice under 70K!!

You're right that nothing is perfect, and I suppose I shouldn't be so troubled by the little, stupid things (like lack of height adjustability on a seat I'll never sit in, or lack of RDS on a radio that will probably never leave XM). The RL was, IMHO, more fun to drive than the A6 3.2, which I expected to be more like the 2.7T than it turned out to be. Hell, if I stick the deck lid spoiler on the RL, it's sporty too, right?!!
  • Verizon's implementation of BT in the V710 is severely crippled in order to keep you stuck to Get It Now! That's why you can't swap ringtones, sync address book/calendar, etc. If I recall correctly, the initial firmware in the V710 supports only headset (so you can pair it to the RL or another BT headset/speakerphone) and modem profiles.
  • I got my dealer to throw in the spoiler on my new RL. It really just looks like part of the car. It is very low and not tacky like so many spoilers. My RL is very much sportier than the 200 E320 that I traded in for the new RL.

My new RL also has the approval of my 14 yr old daughter and 21 yr old nephew, so it must be pretty styling!!!

My first Mercedes which was a 1997 E320 had to have a new transmission within the first 3 months!!

Lynnminny
    The two cars that I was deciding between were also the Audi A6 and the RL. The 4.2 was a little faster (but will likely burn a lot more gas) and did not handle as well (feels like a bigger car) and the V6 is clearly not as fast or nice. It was very tempting as I am friends with the ex-manager of the local Audi dealer who would have arranged a spectacular deal for me.

I just bought the RL yesterday (Blue Pearl) and am very happy with my decision.
  • Geez...talk about a case of thinking one thing and typing another while trying to get the hell out of the office. I meant chain tensioner gasket, not camshaft gasket.
    Well, you shouldn't have been fooling around on Townhall while in the office in the first place. :)
  • E-mail server went down about 2pm. Nothing else to do but surf.
    The two cars that I was deciding between were also the Audi A6 and the RL. The 4.2 was a little faster (but will likely burn a lot more gas) and did not handle as well (feels like a bigger car) and the V6 is clearly not as fast or nice. It was very tempting as I am friends with the ex-manager of the local Audi dealer who would have arranged a spectacular deal for me.

I just bought the RL yesterday (Blue Pearl) and am very happy with my decision.
  • According to Acura Customer service the Verizon model of the Motorola V710 is fully compatible when the firmware is updated to version 8700_01.3E.S2. I've found that Verizon stores may not have the firmware yet.
    Congratulations Somno...you will LOVE your new RL - I know I love mine and allow me to commend you on your OBP color selection. In my opinion, it is the "sleeper" color for the RL...it rocks!!